Gaming PlayStation 5

decorativeed

I'm not in a huge rush but I will play this game eventually.
That's probably for the best. I've been trying to get one for the past two months, and there's been barely anyone even restocking it for me to fail to get one again in the past few weeks.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
That's probably for the best. I've been trying to get one for the past two months, and there's been barely anyone even restocking it for me to fail to get one again in the past few weeks.
Sucks man, do you have the hotstock app?

I've got a Series X and even though there's nothing new and shiny I've got enough with gamepass to last me until PS5s aren't a ball ache to get.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not great news for people who still haven't got one. Not surprising though. Although they are talking about changing certain designs to potentially alleviate the situation.

Asked specifically about the shortage of semiconductors, which is affecting all consumer electronics industries from smart phones to cars, Totoki suggested Sony had means with which it could cope.

“For example, we could find maybe a secondary resource, or by changing the design we could cope,” the exec said.

decorativeed

Not great news for people who still haven't got one. Not surprising though. Although they are talking about changing certain designs to potentially alleviate the situation.

Smyths toys had them in stock this morning. Exactly 1 minute after I checked whether they were in stock. Needless to say, by the time I heard, they'd sold out.

Shark

@NotShark
GOW will probably be the next Playstation exclusive I buy at full price. Returnal and Ratchet and Clank just aren't my cup of tea. Maybe should have thought about this before buying a PS5 at launch although I've had good fun with it online with friends and backwards compatible games.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
GOW will probably be the next Playstation exclusive I buy at full price. Returnal and Ratchet and Clank just aren't my cup of tea. Maybe should have thought about this before buying a PS5 at launch although I've had good fun with it online with friends and backwards compatible games.
Be waiting a while then. That won't be out until next year

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...but-software-sales-slip-in-march-emeaa-charts

PS5 sales surge in March across Europe
Things are looking a bit rosier in the physical hardware and accessories space. Across Europen markets and Australia, 554,504 games machines were sold (including retro consoles and Oculus Quest 2), which is 17% up over last year. The big reason for this was PlayStation 5, which was the No.1 console of the month (just as it was in the US), and saw very strong sales in France, Italy and Spain. It was the biggest month for PS5 sales since the console launched

b82REZ

I really don't why people are so against paying £70 for games.

Games used to be 30/35 in the 90s, raised to 40/50 in the 00s until last year. The amount of work and time that goes into making games, alongside inflation and it makes perfect sense why games are slightly more expensive this gen.

Is it that people have been spoilt throughout the last gen? when prices should have increased really. Is it the rise in cheap indie games? Is it gamepass giving people a false feeling of lack of value?

Shark

@NotShark

Games used to be 30/35 in the 90s, raised to 40/50 in the 00s until last year. The amount of work and time that goes into making games, alongside inflation and it makes perfect sense why games are slightly more expensive this gen.

Is it that people have been spoilt throughout the last gen? when prices should have increased really. Is it the rise in cheap indie games? Is it gamepass giving people a false feeling of lack of value?
I for one don't have any problem with paying 70 quid for games but not for the sake of buying an exclusive(not saying others do), it needs to still tick the boxes for what I generally play. I'll be forking out full price for RE Village 100%.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

When I was a kid, Nintendo games were about £60 or £70 in old Irish punts

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's more the case that they're usually on sale / available 2nd hand for a fraction of the price not long after. Are you really that desperate to rush out and play it at launch?

I'd also say it depends on the replay value. If it's a game you play once then put on the shelf, it's not worth it IMO.

Irwin99

To be honest, 50 quid is already on the expensive side in a decade or so where people are feeling the economic squeeze more and more. 70 is pretty outrageous in my eyes. Particularly if it's not an absolute masterpiece of a game.

The amount of work that goes into games is sometimes counter productive and doesn't feel a natural reason for a higher price. The Assassin's Creed games are perfect example from my perspective; 80-120 hours long and the majority of those hours are utter drivel, fetch quests, and large expanses of nothingness (a very attractive nothingness but empty nonetheless). It probably takes an enormous amount of work to make a gaming world that pretty but I'm not sure that's where the priority should be.

Balljy

It's more the case that they're usually on sale / available 2nd hand for a fraction of the price not long after. Are you really that desperate to rush out and play it at launch?

I'd also say it depends on the replay value. If it's a game you play once then put on the shelf, it's not worth it IMO.
I agree with this. In the last gen I set a limit of £35 on buying games and it never took long to reach that. None of them were 2nd hand either. I think the most I waited was around 4 months which is nothing really.

There are certain games I will gladly pay more for, but that was probably 3 games in the last 5 or so years.

b82REZ

To be honest, 50 quid is already on the expensive side in a decade or so where people are feeling the economic squeeze more and more. 70 is pretty outrageous in my eyes. Particularly if it's not an absolute masterpiece of a game.

The amount of work that goes into games is sometimes counter productive and doesn't feel a natural reason for a higher price. The Assassin's Creed games are perfect example from my perspective; 80-120 hours long and the majority of those hours are utter drivel, fetch quests, and large expanses of nothingness (a very attractive nothingness but empty nonetheless). It probably takes an enormous amount of work to make a gaming world that pretty but I'm not sure that's where the priority should be.
So because one company make bloated games with very little innovation the whole industry has to tread water?

The whole economic stuff is just not relevant, if anything, it proves my point that game prices should have increased last gen with the costs skyrocketing.

You seem to stuck in a single track way of thinking, that if a game doesn't meet your standard as a "masterpiece" it should be sold at a loss or with very little profit. So where do you stand on a game like Returnal? It's being bandied around as the one true next gen game, scoring very positively, despite being a very marmite genre.

b82REZ

I do like to play most games at launch, yes. While I'm not concerned too much about spoilers there is a special feeling being involved in those early discovery days. Using Returnal as am example, I envisage the thread for that game will be very active over the first few weeks as people share experiences and strategies.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting either, the majority of my friends do that. However throughout this gen (albeit a relatively small sample size), the release games haven't dropped significantly in price. I think the standard price for second hand/slightly older games this gen will even out at about £40/50.

fellwin

Surely it is easy to understand why people think that games are expensive? It is because it’s a large chunk of many people’s disposable income. So of course people balk at the price when its something they love to do.

And why is it a false feeling of lack of value? If people feel that they are expensive it’s a real feeling and not a false feeling.

I borrow all my games on the library or wait for them to go on gamepass or PS+ precisely because I think they are way too expensive.

Irwin99

So because one company make bloated games with very little innovation the whole industry has to tread water?

The whole economic stuff is just not relevant, if anything, it proves my point that game prices should have increased last gen with the costs skyrocketing.

You seem to stuck in a single track way of thinking, that if a game doesn't meet your standard as a "masterpiece" it should be sold at a loss or with very little profit. So where do you stand on a game like Returnal? It's being bandied around as the one true next gen game, scoring very positively, despite being a very marmite genre.
I'm saying there is a trend there to make games larger (artificially, with bloated, unnecessary content ...e.g does anybody REALLY want big multiplayer RE games included with the main titles?). Increased content is something I've heard as an excuse to justify increased prices and it doesn't always seem right to me.

The economic stuff is also seriously relevant to me sadly; I can't afford to be paying those prices for a lot of games. I would buy the new RE, FF and Metal Gear games if I liked the sound of them for a bigger price, because I do have an attachment to those series, but sadly I will have to be cautious around games such as Returnal (that's if I actually had a PS5....thanks scalpers!).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
£70 for games is ridiculous especially when they release a half arsed game, with already planned DLC for more cash.

You get games rushed out and broken on release ... Cyberpunk for example.

Bosws87

I'd rather they stayed at £49.99 obviously because its cheaper, but when you consider you will easily spend a £100+ to wake up with a banging headache in the morning or £60 for a decent evening meal out its really not that farfetched in the grand scheme of things.

Digital games being more expensive then the physical copies now that's ridiculous feck sony's store pricing.

Ainu

£70 for games is ridiculous especially when they release a half arsed game, with already planned DLC for more cash.

You get games rushed out and broken on release ... Cyberpunk for example.
I mean, if the game sucks then yeah no shit, it's obviously ridiculous. But if the game is excellent and enjoyable for a significant amount of time, can you call that a ridiculous price point? It's clearly not a good price for all (not even all AAA) games, but I do think some of the games I've played over the years would be worth it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I mean, if the game sucks then yeah no shit, it's obviously ridiculous. But if the game is excellent and enjoyable for a significant amount of time, can you call that a ridiculous price point? It's clearly not a good price for all (not even all AAA) games, but I do think some of the games I've played over the years would be worth it.
Games I would class as worth it would be GTA V, Witcher 3 and RDR2. That's it. Atleast 2 of those weren't worth that price upon release either. There was enough in all those games to continue playing even after the storyline was done with.

I enjoyed HZD, but that didn't feel like a £70 game to me.

Problem is, once a price point for AAA games becomes the norm, even the shite / shallow games use it too, then it becomes a normal price point for more games.

So if £70 is the top point for triple AAA games, that pushes the average game price point further up, so what would be £20-£30 games and now suddenly £40-£50

Bosws87

Games I would class as worth it would be GTA V, Witcher 3 and RDR2. That's it. Atleast 2 of those weren't worth that price upon release either. There was enough in all those games to continue playing even after the storyline was done with.

Problem is, once a price point for AAA games becomes the norm, even the shite / shallow games use it too, then it becomes a normal price point for more games.

So if £70 is the top point for triple AAA games, that pushes the average game price point further up, so what would be £20-£30 games and now suddenly £40-£50
But then you have enjoyed 600 hours of warzone at zero cost, hard to argue about the price of games.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
But then you have enjoyed 600 hours of warzone at zero cost, hard to argue about the price of games.
I have enjoyed zero hours of warzone because it sucks dick and I'm a dirty casual who gets blammed with seconds of spawning.

Warzone makes its money from microtransactions doesn't it? So even if I had enjoyed it for free some sap would have spent money on dogshit skins and paid for my free experience.

Quite easy to argue about the price of games. It's literally what we are doing.

lilcurt

If you take into account inflation, games are cheaper then ever when looking over the decades.

Of course publishers and developers make a truckload, but this is ultimately a business and with games costing so much more to make, with developers taking such a financial hit if it was to fail completely, I find it hard to argue with game pricing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In terms of pricing as well, the one thing I will say for Sony is that they always have sales on the digital store. If you're willing to wait a bit, you can get some really good deals.

Bosws87

I have enjoyed zero hours of warzone because it sucks dick and I'm a dirty casual who gets blammed with seconds of spawning.

Warzone makes its money from microtransactions doesn't it? So even if I had enjoyed it for free some sap would have spent money on dogshit skins and paid for my free experience.

Quite easy to argue about the price of games. It's literally what we are doing.
It wasn't you personally it was a general statement, if they wanna spend their money its fine.

For the hours of entertainment and replay value its hard to argue against the value at £70 when there is people paying £5.99 to rent a movie for a single night. (i personally wouldn't pay to rent a film but tons of people do it)

Yes £49.99 is great, cheaper the better majority of games cost me £29 brand new via cdkeys on pc.

Obviously its more painful when its a lower quality product or its just not for you but we don't price the cinema differently if i see Goodfellas or Snakes on a plane.

£49 to play your own games online is alot more of a piss take then any £20 price hike.