Gaming PlayStation 5

Adamsk7

You add extra drives, you don't replace the existing one
Is that confirmed because I couldn’t find that anywhere

*edit - I did find it, had to go to the Cerny presentation to get a definitive answer. There’s an expansion port

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Exactly. And the lack of 4k has never bothered me once, the Switch has amazing games.
But if the switch was capable of 4K gaming you'd be paying a lot more for it, that's my point. I wouldn't pay for a PS5 until I can switch to 4K but that's just me, you'd save money gaming on the PS4 Pro for the time being, as I'm sure most games will be supported on that also for a good while. Although the PS5 does have that awesome SSD

Adamsk7

Replace the existing drive? I got bad news for you because external storage on PS5 is going to cost similar or more at the start. It will drop down after a few years.
That’s exactly what I’m saying - it’ll be more expensive. If there’s no additional NVMe slot (because we know there’s no proprietary bit on the back) and you HAVE to replace the 825gb one with say, a 2Tb one, that’s gonna be a huge investment.
*Edit - there’s an expansion port. So yes equally expensive to start with, cheaper down the road.

Last edited:

Tiber

But if the switch was capable of 4K gaming you'd be paying a lot more for it, that's my point. I wouldn't pay for a PS5 until I can switch to 4K but that's just me, you'd save money gaming on the PS4 Pro for the time being, as I'm sure most games will be supported on that also for a good while. Although the PS5 does have that awesome SSD
I bought a pro before I had a 4k tv because it made an online game I play a lot run better. I have a 4k TV, but I'm buying into PS5 for exclusive and better running games, not because of marginally better graphics.

Sticking to my PS4 won't let me play the new ratchet and clank for example. And once we get beyond the launch window less and less games will appear on both systems. This is also why I don't give a stuff that on paper the Xbox CPU is marginally faster than the PS5 one. It's all about the games, but that's just me.

If I really cared about FPS or 4k I would play more games on my PC and not buy either console - but I prefer sitting on my recliner sofa than at my desk

Tiber

Is that confirmed because I couldn’t find that anywhere

*edit - I did find it, had to go to the Cerny presentation to get a definitive answer. There’s an expansion port
And it isnt a special PS only drive. The only issue is that most PC drives don't currently meet the spec so initially the PS5 suitable drives will be rare and pretty expensive. But the price should come down as PC drives catch up

Leg-End

Just got an email from ShopTo telling me they don’t have the stock for my pre-order there, Very to the rescue.

Shark

@NotShark
I bought a pro before I had a 4k tv because it made an online game I play a lot run better. I have a 4k TV, but I'm buying into PS5 for exclusive and better running games, not because of marginally better graphics.

Sticking to my PS4 won't let me play the new ratchet and clank for example. And once we get beyond the launch window less and less games will appear on both systems. This is also why I don't give a stuff that on paper the Xbox CPU is marginally faster than the PS5 one. It's all about the games, but that's just me.

If I really cared about FPS or 4k I would play more games on my PC and not buy either console - but I prefer sitting on my recliner sofa than at my desk
Textures and such will indeed be better at 1080p. Resolution is separate to that though, that has nothing to do with graphics. But yeah I get that some don't care for resolution when it comes to consoles, but my point is that what you're paying for a a 4K machine so might as well use it to it's capabilities. Games are the most important thing, I agree.

Ainu

Textures and such will indeed be better at 1080p. Resolution is separate to that though, that has nothing to do with graphics. But yeah I get that some don't care for resolution when it comes to consoles, but my point is that what you're paying for a a 4K machine so might as well use it to it's capabilities. Games are the most important thing, I agree.
Not necessarily. You're also paying for a machine that's much better equipped to get higher stable performance at lower resolutions, which is a clear benefit. That's assuming most/all games will come with a performance mode but at this point that's highly likely.

Shark

@NotShark
Not necessarily. You're also paying for a machine that's much better equipped to get higher stable performance at lower resolutions, which is a clear benefit. That's assuming most/all games will come with a performance mode but at this point that's highly likely.
Oh yeah definitely, and the SSD is still obviously a big deal. 1440p would be very nice, especially for those first person shooters where you'll need a higher fps.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Shopto emailed me earlier today to tell me I'm guaranteed one on release day.

I've also got one confirmed at argos as well, but that's now being sold to a friend who couldn't get a pre-order sorted.

Bojan11

Same as Spiderman regarding cross saves. Xbox version does support cross saves. Yet we have @esmufc07 constantly dumping on MS for sharing BC information.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
How can it not support cross-saves?

That seems bizarre if they're the same game? Is it a game or console issue?

littlepeasoup

I've also got one confirmed at argos as well, but that's now being sold to a friend who couldn't get a pre-order sorted.
Same! I've only ever ordered digital items from ShopTo, nothing like a new console, but their pre-pre order earlier in the year was too good to pass up on. Highly rated for this sort of thing? (deliveries and whatnot)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Same! I've only ever ordered digital items from ShopTo, nothing like a new console, but their pre-pre order earlier in the year was too good to pass up on. Highly rated for this sort of thing? (deliveries and whatnot)
Only ordered one game from them before but that came on launch day no problems

Bojan11

How can it not support cross-saves?

That seems bizarre if they're the same game? Is it a game or console issue?
Different Sku.

Good if you love trophies though as you can get separate trophies for both PS4 and upgraded version.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Different Sku.

Good if you love trophies though as you can get separate trophies for both PS4 and upgraded version.
Just feels like a very obvious thing that should be expected. Is it really that much effort?

Ainu

Same as Spiderman regarding cross saves. Xbox version does support cross saves. Yet we have @esmufc07 constantly dumping on MS for sharing BC information.
This sort of shit annoys me more than it maybe should. It's like they almost give us what we want only to mess up some basic thing like cross saves. What the hell? I'm curious to see if that's on a game by game basis or a console limitation. Leaning towards the second, which is not good. Just keep it simple, idiots.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Does this save issue apply to all games being played on PS5? So my God Of War save that’s backed up in the cloud somewhere will not be recognised on the PS5 GoW game we get as part of the PS+ collection?!

Bojan11

Does this save issue apply to all games being played on PS5? So my God Of War save that’s backed up in the cloud somewhere will not be recognised on the PS5 GoW game we get as part of the PS+ collection?!
No because that’s not been upgraded. But they haven’t clarified what game it applies to or how it works. Just Spiderman miles morales save on PS4 cannot be transferred to PS5 and the same with Yakuza 7.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
No because that’s not been upgraded. But they haven’t clarified what game it applies to or how it works. Just Spiderman miles morales save on PS4 cannot be transferred to PS5 and the same with Yakuza 7.
But if you play PS4 version on ps5 you can? I think Sony need to address this

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bit of a cluster f. To not be able to go on the PSN store, go to library, and install games I've bought onto the PS5 is a huge oversight in design and architecture.

Brocky

Yep, I got my release day guarantee earlier, too.

@afrocentricity @Bojan11 - Cheers for the heads-up on the 'pre-order your pre-order' thingymajig back in June. *thumbsup*

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bit of a cluster f. To not be able to go on the PSN store, go to library, and install games I've bought onto the PS5 is a huge oversight in design and architecture.
Pretty sure that’s exactly what you can do.

Tiber

I don't understand what you are saying? If you have a PS4 digital game on your PSN account, you can download it and play it on PS5.

Tiber

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA20177_00-MARVELSSMMORALES

You can pre-order Miles Morales on PS4 on PSN, there is no option to pre-order a PS5 digital copy. Its a couple of quid cheaper than buying the physical copy.

If I buy this and play it on PS5 do I get the full PS5 version? Or a lower spec PS4 version which is playable on PS5? There has been a lot of talk about the upgrade for the old game, but I haven't read anything about the new one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA20177_00-MARVELSSMMORALES

You can pre-order Miles Morales on PS4 on PSN, there is no option to pre-order a PS5 digital copy. Its a couple of quid cheaper than buying the physical copy.

If I buy this and play it on PS5 do I get the full PS5 version? Or a lower spec PS4 version which is playable on PS5? There has been a lot of talk about the upgrade for the old game, but I haven't read anything about the new one.
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/23/2...-morales-ps5-ps4-upgrade-free-remastered-sony

You need to order the ultimate edition which will be more.

You can buy the PS4 version, but it'll only play the ps4 version on the PS5 unless you order the "remastered" version which comes with the ultimate.

Confusing I know.

Tiber

Any news of new stock for pre-order coming?
Not yet, last time the news come out the evening before.

Sony have now told each retailer how many systems they will get. I haven't heard anything from Argos yet, which I assume is good news. Some folks who preordered down South won't even get theirs until 2021 which is a bit naughty from the retailer, I thought some stores would end up taking more orders than they could realistically fill.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...der-customers-theyll-have-to-wait-until-2021/

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Not yet, last time the news come out the evening before.

Sony have now told each retailer how many systems they will get. I haven't heard anything from Argos yet, which I assume is good news. Some folks who preordered down South won't even get theirs until 2021 which is a bit naughty from the retailer, I thought some stores would end up taking more orders than they could realistically fill.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...der-customers-theyll-have-to-wait-until-2021/
2021 christ I was thinking it might be a couple of weeks at worst..

Tiber

2021 christ I was thinking it might be a couple of weeks at worst..
That is only 1 company in the Republic. I find it hard to believe there wont be any PS5s on the shelves between the middle of November and Christmas.