Gaming PlayStation 5

Tiber

Oddly all of today's news makes me miss Totalbiscuit. I used to get virtually all my gaming news from TB. RIP

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You'll save far more than £100 by going physical.
I do get that but I also know that for the whole ps4 lifecycle I haven't done that. I've happily paid extra for the convenience factor and waited for sales to get other games on the cheap. Surely that's not going to change next-gen? Unless I suddenly start selling games again I don't see how I make my money back again. I only really have Red dead and the witcher physical compies with playing on next gen.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Digital edition gives them bigger share ( as retailer share is not there) and you are more likely to buy PS+. They aren't going to increase the price of the games.

Plus Demon Souls video is down. Not sure why

Bojan11

:lol: People acting as if Sony are gonna start charging £300 a game.
Exactly. They been in control of PSN for years.

Also they do have competition and it’s called Xbox live. If Sony start charging £300 a game or whatever then go to Xbox live. The games will be priced to what every major publisher is going to price them. COD going £10 more as that is the biggest game will mean every franchise is going to copy.

Also the disc copy of COD is £65. Cheaper on digital.

izzydiggler

I really can't make up my mind between physical and digital. I haven't bought a physical game for years, don't really resale and I enjoy the convenience of digital yet I'm still feeling uneasy about the digital-only. I think its made for people like me though, that's the cost of two brand new launch games!
I’ve always been a physical media guy but in the past year or so I’ve got more and more digital stuff in the sales, even preferring it if the price is the same as a physical copy.

Problem is, every time I get a new game, it’s a good £10 - £15 extra for the digital version. Recently I’ve got Ghost of Tshuima, Doom Eternal, FF7, Resi 3...just last week I got Tony Haw’s for £33 but it was £40 digital. Got Mario All-Stars coming this week for £42 but again, the digital is £50 apparently. Simply but, in the long run having a disc drive will save you a lot of money, which makes my decision.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I do get that but I also know that for the whole ps4 lifecycle I haven't done that. I've happily paid extra for the convenience factor and waited for sales to get other games on the cheap. Surely that's not going to change next-gen? Unless I suddenly start selling games again I don't see how I make my money back again. I only really have Red dead and the witcher physical compies with playing on next gen.
They won’t put prices up (other than the standard next gen increase for PS5 games). You’ll still have your monthly sales and your free games each month. Digital is a perfectly fine way to go, though I’m similar to you in that I prefer buying digital games now but there’s just something about having the disc drive.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wonder if GameStop has a deal with PS4 trade-ins towards a preorder like they are with the Series X. That’d be my main reason to jump in early.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
How’s that?
The next COD game, cold war is currently £59.99 digtial on Xbox (probably same for PS). I can get the same game for £42-44 from sites like simply games. Now imgine this for every single AAA game. You get sales when Sony say you do. No competition, you're trapped on PSN.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't do well with decisions :lol:
Just go with the digital version. You get plenty of games on sale on PSN all the time. Unless I’m dying to play the game I always pick games up for like 25 quid or 2 for 30 or whatever. So I wouldn’t worry about pricing or anything. Unless you need to have everything day one.

TrustInJanuzaj

I’ve always been a physical media guy but in the past year or so I’ve got more and more digital stuff in the sales, even preferring it if the price is the same as a physical copy.

Problem is, every time I get a new game, it’s a good £10 - £15 extra for the digital version. Recently I’ve got Ghost of Tshuima, Doom Eternal, FF7, Resi 3...just last week I got Tony Haw’s for £33 but it was £40 digital. Got Mario All-Stars coming this week for £42 but again, the digital is £50 apparently. Simply but, in the long run having a disc drive will save you a lot of money, which makes my decision.
Yeh that's completely fair enough and while you are right I still seem happy enough to pay full price of the select few games at full price and wait for sales on others which suits the digital market well.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
:lol: People acting as if Sony are gonna start charging £300 a game.
No, but you'll pay whatever they charge you. You'll have no choice. There is no middle man, no competition. All digital is terrible, especially here in the UK with the big price difference.

TrustInJanuzaj

Just go with the digital version. You get plenty of games on sale on PSN all the time. Unless I’m dying to play the game I always pick games up for like 25 quid or 2 for 30 or whatever. So I wouldn’t worry about pricing or anything. Unless you need to have everything day one.
Yeh I think you're right. It's only really a select few games I get at release these days.

Bojan11

Why is everyone going on about digital going up? Disc is going up too.

TrustInJanuzaj

They won’t put prices up (other than the standard next gen increase for PS5 games). You’ll still have your monthly sales and your free games each month. Digital is a perfectly fine way to go, though I’m similar to you in that I prefer buying digital games now but there’s just something about having the disc drive.
You reckon you'll stick to the physical then?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Another thing about digital is when you're finsihed with a game and have no interest in playing it again you're stuck with it. No resale. Nothing. Can't even gift it to someone.

Paxi

The next COD game, cold war is currently £59.99 digtial on Xbox (probably same for PS). I can get the same game for £42-44 from sites like simply games. Now imgine this for every single AAA game. You get sales when Sony say you do. No competition, you're trapped on PSN.
Well I don’t buy all triple a games on release. I’ve already a back log from PS4 that I’m planning to complete on PS5, which I’ll probably be still completing on PS6 so I don’t have that problem to be honest. I’m sure lots of others don’t either. I wait until games are on sale unless they’re absolutely massive. Ie last of us, gta etc.

DavelinaJolie

heh.. I still remember the days of Nintendo 64 games costing between $60-$80 :(
I remember the days of Neo Gel games costing £100-200.

On release you will find retailers selling it for less than RRP because they are trying to get a slice of the market.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

But the disc will be able to be found cheaper than the RRP. The digital won't. This is at launch for both. That's the differnce. Digital has no competition .

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Plus Demon Souls video is down. Not sure why
There was a thread on ResetEra saying that it or the stream (not sure which) had a bit that said it would be coming to PC day one and out on other consoles later which isn't likely to happen as it is Sony's IP, so they probably took the video down to fix that bit.

BristolRuss

Because over time retail copies massively go down in price as retailers have loads of excess stock they need to shift. Not to mention buying second hand copies. The Playstation store is a minefield when it comes to prices. Want to buy AC Origins, a 3 year old game at this point, well with a digital only console you'll have to pay Sony's price of £49.99 when you can buy a boxed copy on Amazon for £16. Sony don't even let you buy games on other digital storefronts such as CD Keys. You either pay Sony's price or you don't play.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Because over time retail copies massively go down in price as retailers have loads of excess stock they need to shift. Not to mention buying second hand copies. The Playstation store is a minefield when it comes to prices. Want to buy AC Origins, a 3 year old game at this point, well with a digital only console you'll have to pay Sony's price of £49.99 when you can buy a boxed copy on Amazon for £16. Sony don't even let you buy games on other digital storefronts such as CD Keys. You either pay Sony's price or you don't play.
AC origins goes on sale every other month.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is the problem with this supposed value of the digi only @esmufc07 @Bojan11.

Just checked out of interest and Origins PS4 definitely isn't on CD Keys. However it is for Xbox One at £11.49.

Paxi

AC origins goes on sale every other month.
Exactly. If you look through the store frequently there are plenty of games to be found. I’ve like 20 games that I’ve barely played. I’ve bought them all because the price was extremely attractive at the time.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This is what I'm trying to warn people about. Don't sleep walk into all digital!

Anyway, I'll shut up about this now.