Gaming PlayStation 5

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If you're lucky your TV is on rtings.com for best settings. If not, avforums is probably the best place to search for TV settings. Just search for your TV model.

Honestly though, HDR was designed for a brightness of 1,000 nits and relatively few TV's reach that at the moment. HDR a long way below that is more marketing unfortunately. OLED is a bit different though and doesn't need as bright.
My TV is a relatively low range Samsung one so I doubt it’d be all that. Will take a look though thank you.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
My TV is a relatively low range Samsung one so I doubt it’d be all that. Will take a look though thank you.
Yeah, you may not get much difference, if any at all. TVs need to be HDR ready. If it's not, I'd have a pop down to the local TV place and have a look just to see the difference.

Berbasbullet

Yeah, you may not get much difference, if any at all. TVs need to be HDR ready. If it's not, I'd have a pop down to the local TV place and have a look just to see the difference.
It defo has HDR but I’ve never noticed it to be honest. Yeah might give it m a go, cheers!

The Firestarter

With hdr, you need to make sure that the signal info shows hdr . It requires a different hdmi mode. Different TVs support different combinations of resolution hdr and framerate. If you are lucky yours will support 4k hdr 60fps (ideally 120fps but that's still quite rare) . Sound codec content over the hdmi may also prohibit hdr - its related to hdmi bandwidth.

That being said, even if your TV supports the hdmi mode, to actually see a significant difference it needs a high dynamic range panel - meaning a big difference between the lowest and the highest luminance that can be displayed in a single frame. Oled tvs have a natural advantage in this , since their lowest luminance value is I.e zero.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think you can currently pick up Death Stranding for about £15 in certain places. I'll do that and get the £5 upgrade. Seems like a great deal that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Right I need a break from Apex now so someone choose my next game. Either

Hades
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Immortal Fenyx Rising

Planning to play Metroid in October when it’s released, and then I’ll play through Death Stranding once upgraded (probably).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Is this for competitive online stuff? I think I'd want the potential for 4k and HDR if I was getting a monitor for a console, for single player games. Then switching to 1440p or 1080p at 120fps for competitive stuff.

Also make sure check they're compatible with consoles. Swear I read some aren't.
I just kinda wanna move away from TV. The only online game I play is Apex. I really want this one but out of stock everywhere

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gamin...ps-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10220357-pdt.html

I’ll probably just wait for that to come in stock tbf. No point going cheap as I’ll just need to upgrade in the longer run.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I just kinda wanna move away from TV. The only online game I play is Apex. I really want this one but out of stock everywhere

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gamin...ps-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10220357-pdt.html

I’ll probably just wait for that to come in stock tbf. No point going cheap as I’ll just need to upgrade in the longer run.
I thought about it but figured I may as well just get a really good tv that can be benefitted from with movies etc. too. Will probably get the LG C1 at some point.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Cheers. Wanted to have hdd full of PS4 stuff and an external ssd for ps5. That should work given the quoted, right? Don’t need them both on at the same time.
I think so, it isn’t entirely clear. But if you’re getting an SSD the latest update has allowed you to install more internal SSD storage.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think so, it isn’t entirely clear. But if you’re getting an SSD the latest update has allowed you to install more internal SSD storage.
Yeah, costly affair getting multiple ssd storage.

Was looking at a single 2tb external and an external hdd that I’d fill with the gazillion PS4 games I’ve yet to play.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Right I need a break from Apex now so someone choose my next game. Either

Hades
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Immortal Fenyx Rising

Planning to play Metroid in October when it’s released, and then I’ll play through Death Stranding once upgraded (probably).
I'd say go for Hades. Kena has a few bugs so giving that a bit more time will likely mean the bulk of the bugs will be fixed by then.

Damien

Staff
Hadn’t read about any bugs but cheers. Was leaning towards Hades…..
I saw one on twitter today where someone was stuck at a certain place on a puzzle which meant that they couldn't go back or whatever. Ember Lab said it'll be fixed in the next patch releasing tomorrow, so there could be other stuff like that which could be irritating if they mean you can't progress.

b82REZ

Anyone ever had to wait for an email response from Sony?

I was asked on Monday to email support a photo of the back of my PS5, but they never indicated a turn around time.

I'm feeling like this was just a delay tactic from the support line and I'm going to end up calling them again next week.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Been playing more of Hades these last few days. Haven't escaped yet, but I have come close a few times. The game really is excellent So fun and addicting, and the fact that you can save at any time makes you want to come back to it. The characters are awesome, and I don't think I've seen a repeated line of dialogue yet. Pretty incredible.

If I do have one negative, it's probably the weapons. There's not that many, and of the ones there are, I like two of them. MAYBE three. So that's not great. But it is an awesome game overall.

Berbasbullet

any of you guys know how shop to are with their stock? Ordered deathloop a while ago and it is on back order.

Meller

So it looks like I'll finally be able to get my hands on one in October. Except the PS5 itself, what is 'necessary' to buy with it? I'll pick up an extra controller but anything else? Charger? Headset? Better cords?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So it looks like I'll finally be able to get my hands on one in October. Except the PS5 itself, what is 'necessary' to buy with it? I'll pick up an extra controller but anything else? Charger? Headset? Better cords?
The charging dock is class.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Don’t think anything is ‘necessary’, just depends on your preference. I can’t game without a headset now so that’s important to me. I have the charging dock too which is very handy (will be more so for you if you have two controllers).

Cords work fine and the HDMI supplied is 2.1 compatible.

Meller

The charging dock is class.
Don’t think anything is ‘necessary’, just depends on your preference. I can’t game without a headset now so that’s important to me. I have the charging dock too which is very handy (will be more so for you if you have two controllers).

Cords work fine and the HDMI supplied is 2.1 compatible.
Alright thanks I'll probably buy the charging dock as well.

red4ever 79

Finally got mine today. Pre-ordered last week and expected delivery was 90 days, so thought I would give it a go with the Christmas rush. Wasnt getting my hopes up and then yesterday I got an sms saying your order was here. I ordered the digital one as we are not massive gamers in the family, and the man in the game shop said it was quite easy to get the digital ones now as Sony was moving them. Still difficult to get the disc edition though.

Anyway set it up, my son has downloaded Fortnite as he likes that, and it looks amazing on 120fps. Had a little go of the robot game and that looked nice. Games boot up within seconds and it's a joy to hear no fan noise. Not sure what to do next, for sure I will get another controller. Can anyone recommend me a good headset? Also can anyone recommend a decent external hard drive, and can you move PS5 games there, then move them back?

Final question :) Is it worth to get the playstation plus membership each month, how does that benefit me?

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
Finally got mine today. Pre-ordered last week and expected delivery was 90 days, so thought I would give it a go with the Christmas rush. Wasnt getting my hopes up and then yesterday I got an sms saying your order was here. I ordered the digital one as we are not massive gamers in the family, and the man in the game shop said it was quite easy to get the digital ones now as Sony was moving them. Still difficult to get the disc edition though.

Anyway set it up, my son has downloaded Fortnite as he likes that, and it looks amazing on 120fps. Had a little go of the robot game and that looked nice. Games boot up within seconds and it's a joy to hear no fan noise. Not sure what to do next, for sure I will get another controller. Can anyone recommend me a good headset? Also can anyone recommend a decent external hard drive, and can you move PS5 games there, then move them back?

Final question :) Is it worth to get the playstation plus membership each month, how does that benefit me?
I can't answer the first couple of questions but the last one depends.

You need PS+ for multiplayer gaming (F2P games like Fortnite are exempt). Personally I get it as the monthly games that you get with it are worth the price overall for me even though a fair few of late don't appeal to me I've still played A Plague Tale: Innocence (currently £34.99), Maneater (currently £34.99) and Control: Ultimate Edition (currently £32.99) from it this year for less than a third of the price overall. Final Fantasy VII Remake was also available earlier this year but I got that when it launched.

If multiplayer isn't your thing - and you say you're not massive gamers - you can always just subscribe for a particular month a game shows up that appeals to you but once your subscription lapses you won't have access to that game until you resubscribe.

In other news:

Bosws87

Currently working through Kena between games of Apex Legends.

I'm enjoying it so far, its very easy though the standard mechanics like most games parry, block, light/strong attack.

If you have played any of the dark souls series you will breeze through this game, the environments are great, puzzles are so/so the story telling is very robotic.

Seems decent enough for a first attempt, if it carries on how it is without any huge changes i'd call it a 7/10 game.

With an initial price point of £32 its easier to be less harsh then if it was the full blown £59.99