Gaming PlayStation 5

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeh I don’t disagree. One thing I will say about AC Valhalla is they have done away with the normal side quests that plagued Odyssey and replaced them with world events, they don’t feel anywhere near as repetitive compared to the usual boring fetch quests of Odyssey and Origins. That’s a massive Improvement and goes someway to replicating the way the Witcher or Skyrim handle quests.
The frustrating thing for me is, I absolutely love the settings but can't stand the act of playing the game. I just think the gameplay is poor. But the worlds they create are great. Ancient Greece, Victorian London, Renaissance Italy, Paris during the French revolution - the list could probably go on. Too bad the gameplay is just a miserable experience for me. Although I haven't played one properly for some time.

b82REZ

Thought I'd fecked it last night. Hit rest mode without exiting Miles Morales properly and the screen went green, it shut itself off and when i powered it back on it was rebuilding the database. Seemed ok after though. Any hopes of a fix for this ever?
My own experience with rest mode crashes, it seemed to be tied exclusively to Miles.

Since I finished and unistalled that game I've not had a single crash and I've been using rest mode with no problems.

siw2007

Yeah, I think it's a great game and the career mode really makes FIFA look pathetic in terms of customisation, stats etc. This year, I haven't bought FIFA for the first time in ages and I'm not missing it at all.

In terms of improving at 2K, the other thing to master is setting screens when attacking. Basically, hold L1 whilst in possession and one of your players (usually, and preferably, a big guy) will move into a position to block a defender, which should give you a clear run at the basket. On the lower difficulty levels, screens are very effective because the AI defenders usually don't react or adjust very quickly.
It’s the sheer level of detail they go into, like the half time interviews which make it impressive for me. Don’t think I will delve into the career mode yet as I’m still just learning the ropes. There is so much to learn and look at like the tactical subs, and playbooks etc that it is quite overwhelming so am just focusing on improving my game. Only recently got into the sport so need to learn the details of the game also.

Will definitely try that one later, sounds a good tactic as I usually struggle to penetrate after the first quarter.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just had a weird thing happen while playing Miles Morales. Went to bring up the Control Centre and everything just froze. Was like that for about 2 minutes, then the game said that my controller was disconnected. Plugged it into the USB but still nothing. Couldn't even turn the console off by pressing the power button. Had to keep my finger on it for about 30-40 seconds then it beeped a couple of times and went off. Turned it back on and it did that thing when it tells you you didn't shut it off properly. Seems to be ok now...

Riz

Has anyone used the media remote for Sky Go? Was going to get it but not sure if the remote has the functionality to effectively “press triangle” to search?

Brocky

I picked up 2k20 when it was on sale last year and played quite a bit through lockdown, so I'm fairly new to the series, but I definitely went through a similar steep learning curve.

In terms of defending, I think it's best to keep it simple. I presume you have the indicator switched on which shows you which player to cover? If so, use a combination of L2 and R2 to stay close to that player, but always try to stay 'goal side' of them. You can also hold the right stick up whilst doing that, which will make your defender raise his hands. The combination of L2, R2 and right stick is often sufficient to slow the attacking team down and force them into taking a difficult shot.

Once you're comfortable with that, you can also use triangle to jump/block when the attacker gets near the basket. However, try not to get frustrated when you concede even after doing everything correctly because good players will often score anyway - plus, you only need to prevent a few of the opposition's attacks to gain the lead in a match.

Also, I almost never attempt to steal the ball because it results in a foul most of the time. However, occasionally the L2/R2 combination puts the attacker under enough pressure so that they drop the ball and you can grab it then.
Cheers, I have tried to implement these techniques over last few days and have found they have helped a lot though have had to meddle considerably with scalers to get to a point where I’m comfortable. The triangle and square buttons for jumping and stealing feel a little useless at my level and only really come into effect if you start to have a mastery of the game. But as you say, using L2/R2 is usually enough to frustrate enough attacks for you to get a lead.

Really fun game though. I didn’t really follow basketball but have started to get into it a bit.
The key to stealing is to watch the circle around the ball handler and attempt the steal when it changes to a broken circle. This will usually happen after a crossover or other handling manoeuvre - depending on the handling skill of the player. Only do single presses, though. Multiple presses will result in a foul, more often than not.

My own experience with rest mode crashes, it seemed to be tied exclusively to Miles.

Since I finished and uninstalled that game I've not had a single crash and I've been using rest mode with no problems.
The green screen thing isn't exclusive to MM. I had it happen to me - only once so far, when I let the console go into rest-mode itself, as opposed to me putting it into rest mode. It went green upon waking back up from rest and MM wasn't even installed. A reboot sorted it.

JP77

Any rougher idea yet when we will start seeing a more consistent stock of the consoles and if it'll be around January like quite a few expected? Still waiting to get one, hoping to get one at some point in January.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Any rougher idea yet when we will start seeing a more consistent stock of the consoles and if it'll be around January like quite a few expected? Still waiting to get one, hoping to get one at some point in January.
I've heard nothing yet. So I bought a new driver for golf with the money instead.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Game was saying possibly at the end of January, other retailers are quite vague just saying "sometime in 2021". Keep an eye on this site is your best bet: https://www.stockinformer.co.uk

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So I've been playing this for close to a week now, and I think I can confidently say that the DualSense controller is the best controller I've ever used. The haptics and the adaptive triggers are cool and work really well (in some games more than others), but just speaking more generally it is so much better than any other controller I've used. Ergonomically it's great, it has a heft to it that makes it feel premium and it's a lot bigger than the DualShock which makes it fit in the hand much better.

It's way more comfortable and I actually like the fact that the face buttons are a little more flush with the controller, while the options button and share button stick out a bit more compared to the DualShock where they were a bit of a pain in the arse to press. While the design for the console may be up for debate, I think they absolutely nailed the controller design.

fergosaurus

GTA 5 Premium Online Edition is on sale for £12.59. Can anyone tell me if the single player story is getting a free upgrade when they release the PS5 version?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
GTA Online will be free for limited time only but nothing has been confirmed regarding single player. Would be surprised if they made that free upgrade.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My DS5 died, have to send it back (for repair/exchange) in the week. Y'all happy now!?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Has anyone tried Final Fantasy 7 remake demo on PS5? It says only playable on PS4 on the store.

Surely it works in backwards compat? I'm just not sure I've seen that warning before.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Has anyone tried Final Fantasy 7 remake demo on PS5? It says only playable on PS4 on the store.

Surely it works in backwards compat? I'm just not sure I've seen that warning before.
Yeah, from what I can gather, PS4 demos aren't backwards compatible with PS5. Was reading something about it the other day. It's not just the FF7 Remake one. It's all of them I think.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah, from what I can gather, PS4 demos aren't backwards compatible with PS5. Was reading something about it the other day. It's not just the FF7 Remake one. It's all of them I think.
That would explain why I have titles on my library that are greyed out.

Weird.

Not a big deal just seems strange. Wanted to try FF7 Remake before buying it at the 30 digitally or whether to get physical.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What's the deal with VR then, do you just use a PS4 one?

Riz

Has anyone used the media remote for Sky Go? Was going to get it but not sure if the remote has the functionality to effectively “press triangle” to search?
Anyone with the media remote know? I’d only use it for Sky Go really as Netflix is already on my tv

Tiber

I seem to be constantly pressing R2 by accident on Dualsense. I don't know if its the new shape of the controller, or if the trigger is just much more sensitive to a gentle touch. Annoying.

passing-wind

I seem to be constantly pressing R2 by accident on Dualsense. I don't know if its the new shape of the controller, or if the trigger is just much more sensitive to a gentle touch. Annoying.
The trigger is far more sensitive, I was running around in Spiderman remastered and even with the most minimal of pressure the triggers are activated.

Ladron de redcafe

My brother bought me NBA 2k21 for Xmas. I won’t play it so asked him to swap for another game. I said Hitman for when it comes out. Any other recommendations? I have MM and FIFA atm. Not a huge gamer. Wanted a fighting game but not sure if mortal kombat is worth it.
UFC 3 is pretty good but it's a PS4 game.