Gaming PlayStation 5

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't know what we're arguing either. I think my point is - I'm not actually sure - that for a significant amount of games, the PC version isn't necessarily a notably superior experience, and that consoles being the main market for games does hold back PC gaming to an extent. PC games might not be poor ports of console games but often they're an afterthought. Just look at every single game that ties physics to framerate - hello, Bethesda - which can cause extremely funky results when you're playing at 144 fps. Which also means that PC gaming's higher costs may or may not be worth it for any particular player, depending on the kind of games they're into.

A driving game might not be the greatest example actually, depending on the kind. For a hardcore, realistic simulator I'd say get it on PC and use a proper steering wheel with pedals and shit, and crank that framerate up for maximum smoothness and visual information.
OK, well I'd disagree then. I honestly can't think of any AA or AAA games that I've played in the last four or five years that were better to buy on console instead of PC? In pretty much every case the PC had better performance, graphics etc. and was generally cheaper, too.

That may shift temporarily due to the release of next-gen consoles but it'll probably revert back again in a few years.

EDIT Actually one example was Horizon which got a shitty port and Guerrila got absolutely slaughtered for it to the point where they are still patching it months and months after the release to try keep people happy!

Siorac

In pretty much every case the PC had better performance, graphics etc.
Yeah, I'm not denying that, I'm saying that once a console game is capable of delivering 60 FPS, the difference ceases to be that great. In graphical fidelity, the PC will probably always be ahead but the gameplay experience will no longer be as drastically different as it was when consoles were still chugging along at 30 fps because going from 30 to 60 is night and day. In contrast, the PS5 is supposed to be able to deliver 4k at 120Hz with HDMI 2.1. At 120 fps, the PC would have basically no advantage in smoothness and responsiveness (above 60, diminishing returns do start to kick in and anything above 120 and you won't really notice the difference) so the main advantage would be visual fidelity. The gap will be smaller in this sense, even in the case of games where the PC version does take full advantage of the PC (again, looking at you, Bethesda or From Software for not doing that).

Of course most console games won't run at 120 FPS. But for the vast majority of people, new PC games don't, either, and games either don't take full advantage of the PC's power or if they do, you need a nuclear-powered quantum computer that can feel the Force to run them at their best. See Cyberpunk: you can, theoretically, run it at 4K on Ultra but then a 3090 will average around 35-40 fps. Then again, maybe in a few years PC hardware will be capable of, I don't know, time travel or something so that a €1500 PC will actually know in advance what you want to do in a game. And then consoles will look very silly with their traditional concept of the flow of time.

Massive Spanner

Yeah, I'm not denying that, I'm saying that once a console game is capable of delivering 60 FPS, the difference ceases to be that great. In graphical fidelity, the PC will probably always be ahead but the gameplay experience will no longer be as drastically different as it was when consoles were still chugging along at 30 fps because going from 30 to 60 is night and day. In contrast, the PS5 is supposed to be able to deliver 4k at 120Hz with HDMI 2.1. At 120 fps, the PC would have basically no advantage in smoothness and responsiveness (above 60, diminishing returns do start to kick in and anything above 120 and you won't really notice the difference) so the main advantage would be visual fidelity. The gap will be smaller in this sense, even in the case of games where the PC version does take full advantage of the PC (again, looking at you, Bethesda or From Software for not doing that).

Of course most console games won't run at 120 FPS. But for the vast majority of people, new PC games don't, either, and games either don't take full advantage of the PC's power or if they do, you need a nuclear-powered quantum computer that can feel the Force to run them at their best. See Cyberpunk: you can, theoretically, run it at 4K on Ultra but then a 3090 will average around 35-40 fps. Then again, maybe in a few years PC hardware will be capable of, I don't know, time travel or something so that a €1500 PC will actually know in advance what you want to do in a game. And then consoles will look very silly with their traditional concept of the flow of time.
Yeah so I still don't know what you're trying to even argue here. I've already said the gap is much smaller than usual right now because the next-gen consoles just came out. All I said was that Kaos statement originally was bullshit and then you went on a big tirade about value and pc vs consoles and bla bla whatever, come on Siorac, admit you were fighting a battle that was never started!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I had someone message me on PSN at 1am last night saying "It's not worth it. He deserves to be in the basement. He ran toward the basement as he was being chased when I went to go grab u"

Weirded me out :lol:

I've messaged back and turns out he's a kid who was playing Dead By Daylight and was trying to message someone with the same username as me but he must've been on PC. We've had a nice chat about the game and I wished him well.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I had someone message me on PSN at 1am last night saying "It's not worth it. He deserves to be in the basement. He ran toward the basement as he was being chased when I went to go grab u"

I've messaged back and turns out he's a kid who was playing Dead By Daylight and was trying to message someone with the same username as me but he must've been on PC. We've had a nice chat about the game and I wished him well.
Dead by daylight is a lot of fun :lol:

Shark

@NotShark

Get completely what you're saying and was gonna make the same point. PC's will naturally overpower consoles significantly in the next few years but the gap won't be as big now that consoles can dish out higher frame rates along with graphical horsepower. Even last gen console gamers were limited to 30fps, that's even on the ''pro'' versions they released. Now they're even going beyond 60fps in certain racers and shooters at acceptable resolutions.

Shark

@NotShark

That's brilliant :lol:

Siorac

Yeah so I still don't know what you're trying to even argue here. I've already said the gap is much smaller than usual right now because the next-gen consoles just came out. All I said was that Kaos statement originally was bullshit and then you went on a big tirade about value and pc vs consoles and bla bla whatever, come on Siorac, admit you were fighting a battle that was never started!
No u!

But really, you also said this:

You've conveniently left out the main benefits of a PC which are high refresh rates and response times in monitors. A gaming PC that can do.. say.. 1440p 144hz well still shits all over the new consoles when running pretty much any game.
I'm saying that this advantage/benefit, call it what you want is 1) expensive as feck, 2) getting smaller anyway as consoles are improving, and can put out 1440p or even 4K at 120 Hz themselves.

Massive Spanner

No u!

But really, you also said this:

I'm saying that this advantage/benefit, call it what you want is 1) expensive as feck, 2) getting smaller anyway as consoles are improving, and can put out 1440p or even 4K at 120 Hz themselves.
I already said it's more expensive though, and then said the best place for bang for your buck is consoles. I would never dispute that. I simply dispute the idea that a good PC isn't worth it if you want the best possible gaming experience for a lot of games, because it is.

And look, everyone said the ps4 and xbone would be doing 1080p 60fps, they pretty much never did, then the ps4 pro was supposed to do 4k, nope. Not a hope the ps5 or xbone will hit 4k/120hz in a million years. Best we'll be getting as they go along is a choice between 1440p/60fps and 4k/30fps I'd say.

People say at the start of every generation that the gap is smaller than ever but then PC's spend the next six or seven years evolving and consoles stay as the same consoles (apart from the slightly upgraded pro version). So yeah right now, at the moment, PC gaming vs console isn't as good value wise or performance wise as it was 2 years ago or will be in another few years, but I already said that too.

Bosws87

Just get a decent pc and a ps5 then you don’t have to have these arguments or miss out on any games at all!

leave the redundant Xbox to the side!

Kaos

Just get a decent pc and a ps5 then you don’t have to have these arguments or miss out on any games at all!

This is me, plus the Switch for the Nintendo exclusives and party games :).

I actually prefer the Series X as a console due to its UI, controller and form factor, but as a predominantly PC gamer its pretty much a redundant piece of hardware for me.

Siorac

This is what I want to do, I just can't justify myself, at this point, the cost of upgrading the PC :) And believe me, I tried: I desperately want a new PC.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
You can currently get 1 month of EA Play for £0.79p on the PlayStation Store at the moment. Only if you haven't previously used EA Play, though. I'll be getting it, and hopefully, I can complete Jedi Fallen Order in a month.

Not sure if you can use it on PS5 though?

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You can currently get 1 month of EA Play for £0.70p on the PlayStation Store at the moment. Only if you haven't previously used EA Play, though. I'll be getting it, and hopefully, I can complete Jedi Fallen Order in a month.

Anyone?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ok, so apparently the EA Play app isn't available on the PS5. Instead, when you sign up for EA Play, you go into the PS Store on the PS5, go down to subscriptions, and there should be an EA Play option. Then you just download the games from there.

It's all done in the store as opposed to the app. Haven't tried it yet myself.

Berbasbullet

You can currently get 1 month of EA Play for £0.79p on the PlayStation Store at the moment. Only if you haven't previously used EA Play, though. I'll be getting it, and hopefully, I can complete Jedi Fallen Order in a month.

Where bouts on the store? I searched for it and it was 3.99.

Berbasbullet

Got it, thank you! Might download it soon as I want to try fallen order, has fallen order had the ps5 update yet?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Oohhh have you played it yet?
I haven't yet. I'm going to use this EA Play thing for that. Although I may hold off on that, because the next-gen update for Control is out in just over a week and I desperately want to play that, too! And typically I don't like playing multiple single-player games at the same time. And Control wins out I think.

Berbasbullet

I haven't yet. I'm going to use this EA Play thing for that. Although I may hold off on that, because the next-gen update for Control is out in just over a week and I desperately want to play that, too! And typically I don't like playing multiple single-player games at the same time. And Control wins out I think.
I got the same dilemma :lol: I just purchased control ultimate edition from the store and I am waiting for the update.

Also playing Days Gone at the mo and Shadow of the Tomb Raider so it’s probably a bridge too far, it says the update is there until March 8th so I’m happy.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
So, is there any chance i might actually be able to buy one of these at some point soon? Been in a queue like 3 times this week only to be disappointed :(

JP77

So, is there any chance i might actually be able to buy one of these at some point soon? Been in a queue like 3 times this week only to be disappointed :(
Argos could be any day now, talk that it’s February but loads of other talk saying tomorrow morning. It’s due at any point. Sign up to alerts with Hotstock mate and the discords.

Still waiting for mine to be dispatched from Game. Hopefully Monday at some point.

Anustart89

Can't believe it took me so long but I just finished The Last of Us. Wow! What an amazing game.

Is Part II as good as the first one?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't believe it took me so long but I just finished The Last of Us. Wow! What an amazing game.

Is Part II as good as the first one?
Slightly preferred the first one storywise, but Part II is great as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Anyone played Yakuza like a dragon? I love the series, but this is a bit different right? Any good?

Amarsdd

Anyone with a good resource to get quick alerts for upcoming restocks in the US?

b82REZ

So the R2 button on one of my contollers is incredibly loose and seems to have lost all resistance features.

Appears it's a known issue and I can return it to Sony but it's fecking annoying.