Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

Do you think the people who get paid to design UIs didn't think of that? Not taking the piss. Genuine question.

I don't love the UI either but I think it's fine.
I don't have an answer to that, as I just don't understand it. In UI design and web design in particular, horizontal scrolling has always been considered a potential bad experience or often outright bad design. It works in some cases, like pictures, but for content that is inherently like a list, such as trophies, it's terrible. My guess is they wanted to make scrolling through trophies more like scrolling through "moments", but is that really how most people use it? You lose the ability the see all the different trophy texts at a glance, not to mention that details like the unlock date and rarity are now hidden behind a button press while they were previously visible as part of the list.

I don't want to make this all about trophy lists, it's just one thing that annoyed me. I'll live with it but it's just silly to change stuff that was working and make it worse.

b82REZ

Horizontal lists can't be intuitive, that's something I thought we had already learned as a society. :lol: You can't read horizontal text at a glance like you can in vertical list. It doesn't work. It's objectively bad design.
I think you're being a bit hysterical. It actually works well with the new cards and showing your progress.

Like I said it's a familiarity issue, not a inherent design problem. The more you use it the more you'll get used to it and the more intuitive it will feel. I think all PS5 users had the same thoughts at first because you got so use the PS4 interface.

For me the biggest issue was remembering to press the PS button once rather than holding it down.

There are definitely areas they can improve it, and they likely will, just like they did with PS4.

Ainu

I think you're being a bit hysterical. It actually works well with the new cards and showing your progress.

Like I said it's a familiarity issue, not a inherent design problem. The more you use it the more you'll get used to it and the more intuitive it will feel. I think all PS5 users had the same thoughts at first because you got so use the PS4 interface.

For me the biggest issue was remembering to press the PS button once rather than holding it down.

There are definitely areas they can improve it, and they likely will, just like they did with PS4.
I can see why you say that but it's just one of those things that always gets to me. Taking something that works fine, changing it and making it worse. It can be the most inconsequential thing and I'm still sitting there like "Why?!". Even @esmufc07 hates it. :) I have no problem with the PS button by the way, that's fine.

Tiber

I had never had a plat when I plugged in my PS5. I now have 8 and really enjoyed them all

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Do you think the people who get paid to design UIs didn't think of that? Not taking the piss. Genuine question.
Yes. These things are designed for aesthetics and sometimes just to be 'different' rather than focusing on user experience all the time.

And often there's very little time for real user testing and feedback especially when timed with a product launch that there's every chance it wasn't expected feedback until they got it in people's hands, or they got the feedback but just wouldn't have time to change it versus their other priorities.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I gave up even trying to buy one of these. Seems like you’d have to sit in front of your computer day after day to refresh a restock at just the right time. Complete joke.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I gave up even trying to buy one of these. Seems like you’d have to sit in front of your computer day after day to refresh a restock at just the right time. Complete joke.
I can understand that, I’m currently following someone on Twitter and in a discord, I know smyths in Ireland is getting stock soon and got stock last week the very minute I gave up and went back to sleep.

Widow

I can understand that, I’m currently following someone on Twitter and in a discord, I know smyths in Ireland is getting stock soon and got stock last week the very minute I gave up and went back to sleep.

I buckled and paid £480 for a digital one. I just got tired of waiting!

Since then I've managed to grab a disk version so I'm trying to sell the Digital one, hoping to recoup £450 as it's only a month old. Trying to explain to people I'm actually losing money on it and not hoovering all the consoles up to make a profit is fun btw

caid

You can register to get notifications, so you dont need to spend your day refreshing a dozen web pages. Seem relatively easy to get when you do. Know a couple of people who got one after about a week doing that.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Hotstock premium, cheaper than scalpers. Got me a PS5 within 2 days of trying, just have to react quick to the alerts.

Tiber

I got sackboy and a second dualsense for £79 in a Prime Day sale. I think that's a decent price

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Aiming for sales of 22.6m/year

On the morning of June 22, the Sony Group held a general meeting of shareholders in Tokyo. Mr. Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation, stressed that the company would accelerate the supply of PlayStation (PS) 5 in the next fiscal year to achieve sales of more than 22.6 million units per year, the largest ever in the history of PS. Against the backdrop of "nest egg" demand, the company aims to break the sales record of the original PS in fiscal 1998.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-it-the-largest-ever-in-history-of-ps.446339/

bondsname

After a few months of constant F5ing I am pleased to announce that I managed to get ahold of a PS5 this morning! :D:drool: I got athe Ratchet and Clank bundle, hopefully it will be delivered this week.

muller

So.. still absolutely no hope at all of getting a console then unless glued to sites?

Tiber

So.. still absolutely no hope at all of getting a console then unless glued to sites?
There has been a fair bit of stock recently, but yes you have to be around at the right time of the morning

bondsname

That’s what I had to do. I usually just checked the big retailers websites at around 9-10am because that’s when the releases usually came. No need to sit in the evening refreshing, atleast where I live.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Try smyths if ye have them where ye are as you can go into the shop now and pre order one for 20 euro deposit in Ireland, so it might be like that in Britain as well, I fecked as I won’t be near any smyths till Friday at the earliest.

kidbob

So 2 questions. I recently got a PS5 and gave my PS4 to a friend. So over lockdown we have been playing Payday 2 (fun game by the way) as a group. So my questions are can I buy that game for my mate with the PS4 and gift it to him and most importantly can I still play it with them when I'm on PS5 and they are all on PS4?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Finally beat that Valkyrie queen so have now platinum'd God of War and can delete it at last. I can't remember a more stressful 30 seconds than the last bit of the battle, I was low on health, so was she. Surprised I didn't crush the joypad I was clenched so hard.

Jaxa

Mental aint it, Playstation has seriously F*cked up with this one, I am sorry but with the resources you have you should be able to develop a system that allows everyone to be able to purchase a PS5 rather than allow the thousands of resellers with there bots across the globe snap them all up to resell for double the price.

Bosws87

Mental aint it, Playstation has seriously F*cked up with this one, I am sorry but with the resources you have you should be able to develop a system that allows everyone to be able to purchase a PS5 rather than allow the thousands of resellers with there bots across the globe snap them all up to resell for double the price.
Its a global problem with silicon there is really nothing Microsoft or Sony can do.

Reselling part is down to the retailers, it's very simple to stop the majority of Bots/automated software for purchasing, from someone that was doing it for years, the retailers just don't care money is money no matter who it comes from.

Leg-End

Anyone struggling I would suggest following this twitter account with alerts on

https://twitter.com/PS5StockAlertUK

So 2 questions. I recently got a PS5 and gave my PS4 to a friend. So over lockdown we have been playing Payday 2 (fun game by the way) as a group. So my questions are can I buy that game for my mate with the PS4 and gift it to him and most importantly can I still play it with them when I'm on PS5 and they are all on PS4?
Not sure what you mean by the gifting bit, if you mean buying via the store to send digitally then no I don't think that's possible but you could gift him a digital voucher to get it? But to answer the second part yes you can, obviously you can't if you are playing a PS5 version of a game but I don't believe Payday 2 has upgraded. Either way you can always have both PS4 and PS5 versions installed if you need to.

Oldyella

So my trusty ps4 finally died on me. I've been holding off on the ps5 due to the issues around actually getting one, but I use the ps4 for media as much as gaming so can't really do without for too long. Dreading trying to get one having heard all the stories.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So my trusty ps4 finally died on me. I've been holding off on the ps5 due to the issues around actually getting one, but I use the ps4 for media as much as gaming so can't really do without for too long. Dreading trying to get one having heard all the stories.
What happened? My PS4 has been a fickle mistress lately and I think the HDMI output is on the way out. I'm thinking to buy a blu-ray player.

Oldyella

What happened? My PS4 has been a fickle mistress lately and I think the HDMI output is on the way out. I'm thinking to buy a blu-ray player.
Sounds similar. I was finding the TV was registering there was a hdmi input to switch to, but when I selected it nothing would come through occasionally without restarting the ps. That got worse and worse till I can't get anything and when I switch it on now it will make a few beeps but not do anything without switching it off at the power. Had to happen sooner or later, had it for years so no complaints, just wanted to avoid this period of scrabbling for the ps5

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
On a platinum push at the minute, going over old games while waiting for something new to come out.

Platinum'd Everybody's Gone to the Rapture last night and this morning. I have to say that this is 100% one of my favourite pieces of media across all genres. It spans the game / film / book / music genres to such an amazing extent. I totally understand it not being everybody's cup of tea but it really tickles my Travellers!

The music alone gives me goosebumps. I would love to have seen one of the live shows Jessica Curry did with the orchestra playing the soundtrack to a walkthrough of the game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sounds similar. I was finding the TV was registering there was a hdmi input to switch to, but when I selected it nothing would come through occasionally without restarting the ps. That got worse and worse till I can't get anything and when I switch it on now it will make a few beeps but not do anything without switching it off at the power. Had to happen sooner or later, had it for years so no complaints, just wanted to avoid this period of scrabbling for the ps5
Ooof. This isn't looking good then :nervous:

How long did yours last when it started? Mine began about a month ago...