Gaming PlayStation 5

Bosws87

There's nothing fun in a game that requires little skill, i reverse the question and ask how you can enjoy something that requires no intellect at all!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is it quiet? Because I got a PS4 Pro not long ago and that thing is obnoxiously loud. Was wondering about picking up a PS5 just to play my PS4 games quietly.
Is for me. Compared to my launch PS4 it is night and day. The faster downloads, loading time improvements, quietness of the machine and better graphics (though with you having a PS4 Pro there won't be that much difference for a lot of games) alone are worth it in my opinion.

If you're a heavy disk user, there will be whirring but if you're like me and hardly ever use it, you shouldn't notice a thing.

b82REZ

Souls games are refreshing as they don't treat you like a child like most other AAA games do nowadays. They trust your intelligence to piece together the story or how to play effectively.

There's a definite steep learning curve, but once you get over that they're truly in a league of their own. The feeling of accomplishment when you finally beat a boss or area you've been bashing your head against for hours is unparalleled in modern gaming.

I do understand the barrier for entry is too high for many, and my first couple of attempts (Demon's Souls on PS3 and Dark Souls) left me incredibly frustrated.

b82REZ

There's nothing fun in a game that requires little skill, i reverse the question and ask how you can enjoy something that requires no intellect at all!
While I do like some AAA games this is generally how I feel. Sometimes I do like to switch my brain off and just shoot stuff and not have to concentrate too much, but for me they're the games I struggle to justify buying until they're heavily discounted.

For example, I like the look of Guardians of the Galaxy, but unless I can pick it up for less than 30 it doesn't represent good value as I know I'll be done with it in a couple of sittings most likely.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, I love From Software games personally. There's a learning curve and they are certainly difficult, but bar one or two instances, they are also very fair. At times there is some bullshit going on (mostly to do with the camera) but if you put the time in and learn the patterns, then you'll be good to go.

Plus, they are extremely rewarding. They're like a drug in that aspect. The dopamine hit when you finally beat a boss that you've been fighting for about 2 hours is unparalleled. They also have an incredible sense of exploration as they don't hold your hand and tell you everything. It's fun to uncover their mysteries.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm actually surprised you haven't given them a go considering you like Metroid.

To be honest, I've not played games regularly for years plus I've not had the time to invest in them, so having to learn how to get far in Souls for example would've been a no no. I liked MD but I found a lot of the game tedious, once you learn the patterns it's not too difficult but I was only arsed because of my love for Super Metroid otherwise I would've shelved it very quickly. BOTW was a far more superior game. And far more fun. So was Odyssey.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah, I love From Software games personally. There's a learning curve and they are certainly difficult, but bar one or two instances, they are also very fair. At times there is some bullshit going on (mostly to do with the camera) but if you put the time in and learn the patterns, then you'll be good to go.

Plus, they are extremely rewarding. They're like a drug in that aspect. The dopamine hit when you finally beat a boss that you've been fighting for about 2 hours is unparalleled. They also have an incredible sense of exploration as they don't hold your hand and tell you everything. It's fun to uncover their mysteries.
Actually this is a good point. I've read a few books about gaming and one thing I read that stuck with me in particular was how games are seen as a sort of controlled environment for failure. Unlike in real life, you aren't punished for failing really as you can simply pick it up and start again. I imagine there's a huge psychological aspect to the appeal of Souls games in this sense. All about control of the environment and a gradual sense of mastery or something.

Ainu

Actually this is a good point. I've read a few books about gaming and one thing I read that stuck with me in particular was how games are seen as a sort of controlled environment for failure. Unlike in real life, you aren't punished for failing really as you can simply pick it up and start again. I imagine there's a huge psychological aspect to the appeal of Souls games in this sense. All about control of the environment and a gradual sense of mastery or something.
Honestly, I still think this aspect of Souls games is overstated. I don't play them for the satisfaction of beating the bosses, I play them because their world building is sublime and the combat mechanics are so deliberate and precise. Yes they are challenging, but not for the sake of being challenging. The challenge is there to let the mechanics shine, to force the player to care about precision, positioning, patterns and timing. It serves a purpose and makes the game more enjoyable. Sure, overcome particularly difficult bosses has its own appeal, but it's only a small part of why these games are so good. At least in my opinion.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
If you are a big gamer than PS5 is a monumental improvement on PS4 like literally another world in terms of speed, graphics, pretty much everything. If you are a casual gamer than I get it but the quality of life improvements alone are worth it even if you never buy another PS5 game.
This. I game a good 20 hours a week on average and the PS5 shits all over ps4

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, absolutely. This is particularly prominent in Sekiro. Obviously, all these games have it, but due to the nature of the combat in that game, it's highlighted more. You have to play the game on its terms, and while it can be a bit of a learning curve coming from the other From games, there's an enormous sense of achievement and mastery when it clicks.

GaryLifo

Anyone who wants a challenge should get themselves the binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ and have a crack at the Ultra-Hard Challenge. Took me over 100 failed attempts, but I have rarely felt so satisfied as when I finally beat it.

youtube video of my winning run in the unlikely case anyone is interested. Essentially every negative modifyer in the game is switched on at the same time and no 'hearts' can drop on the ground to heal you if you get hit. (only way to heal is with getting certain items to drop which can passively or actively heal you)

The Firestarter

Mine is silent but afew have reported on a whirring disk drive. I think at worst it’s still negligible compared to the PS4. I went from the original PS4 and that thing sounded like a jet engine all the time. Many of the best PS4 games have also received PS5 updates which are night and day too. Well worth it personally.
PS5 is SSD, what disk drive ?

Ainu

PS5 is SSD, what disk drive ?
The Blu-ray disk I presume, which does spin up audibly when starting up the PS5, provided there's actually a disk in there. It stops fairly quickly though and is obviously not comparable to the PS4's jet engine, as that's caused by the cooling solution.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If you are a big gamer than PS5 is a monumental improvement on PS4 like literally another world in terms of speed, graphics, pretty much everything. If you are a casual gamer than I get it but the quality of life improvements alone are worth it even if you never buy another PS5 game.
I mean atm. There are so few ps5 must have games.

The Firestarter

The Blu-ray disk I presume, which does spin up audibly when starting up the PS5, provided there's actually a disk in there. It stops fairly quickly though and is obviously not comparable to the PS4's jet engine, as that's caused by the cooling solution.
Totally forgot it has BR drive , I am yet to use it for something :lol:

Gehrman

I really want to get into them. I actually have really enjoyed the first 15-20 hours of dark souls but then I just lack the hook. I feel like you really have to force yourself to play them which I struggle with. Maybe one day I’ll get through then but I suspect the open world nature of Elden Ring will appeal far more to me.
Dark souls was the first. Ds3, bloodborne and sekiro is when they finally hit their stride.

Irwin99

Demon souls *cough cough*
I'm embarrassed by this but I couldn't get on with the Demon's Souls remake despite how gorgeous it was and despite me loving Dark Souls 1,2 and 3 and Bloodborne. The maps and the lack of checkpoints were a real pain and so was finding the healing items. I just had a rage quit and never went back.

I wonder if I should try it again now i've been 'trained' by Returnal.

Gehrman

I'm embarrassed by this but I couldn't get on with the Demon's Souls remake despite how gorgeous it was and despite me loving Dark Souls 1,2 and 3 and Bloodborne. The maps and the lack of checkpoints were a real pain and so was finding the healing items. I just had a rage quit and never went back.

I wonder if I should try it again now i've been 'trained' by Returnal.
Ng isnt tough once you know the drill. Ng+ is.

Apart from world 1 they all suck though

You can spam magic at anyone not in world 3

Last edited:

Swedish_Plumber

One day in the distant future I’ll be able to walk into a store and purchase a PS7.

‘Play has no limits’ has to be some sick joke :(

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Dark souls was the first. Ds3, bloodborne and sekiro is when they finally hit their stride.
I do have dark souls 3 too but I feel like I have to get through the previous 2 games first before I can get into that. I will finish Dark Souls one day I'm sure of it! I enjoyed the first 10 hours of Bloodbourne but again something made me put it down and I just lack the hook in these kinds of games. I don't really like having to walk over trodden ground over and over. For that reason alone I think I'll much prefer Elden Ring which offers a more casual world and exploration to break it up.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Imagine not having played through bloodborne. What a sad life. Almost as sad as the life of people who can't play it again for the first time.

TrustInJanuzaj

Imagine not having played through bloodborne. What a sad life. Almost as sad as the life of people who can't play it again for the first time.
I just want them to remaster/remake it for the PS5 with proper 60 fps. I'd play it through to completion if they brought that out.

The Firestarter

One of the reasons I preferred the PC for so long. No need to fecking remake every game just to support a new CPU / GPU arch

Gehrman

I do have dark souls 3 too but I feel like I have to get through the previous 2 games first before I can get into that. I will finish Dark Souls one day I'm sure of it! I enjoyed the first 10 hours of Bloodbourne but again something made me put it down and I just lack the hook in these kinds of games. I don't really like having to walk over trodden ground over and over. For that reason alone I think I'll much prefer Elden Ring which offers a more casual world and exploration to break it up.
Disagree that you have to play DS1 and DS2 first to play 3. 3 is just much better especially with DLC. They aren't story driven really apart from superficially.

TrustInJanuzaj

Disagree that you have to play DS1 and DS2 first to play 3. 3 is just much better especially with DLC. They aren't story driven really apart from superficially.
While I'm sure you are right, I feel like if I play Dark Souls 3 and it's great, ill never go back and play the previous two. Maybe if I really hit a wall with the first, ill just say sod it and jump to the third.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
While I'm sure you are right, I feel like if I play Dark Souls 3 and it's great, ill never go back and play the previous two. Maybe if I really hit a wall with the first, ill just say sod it and jump to the third.
You should do demons souls remake first, it's too easy compared to the others to give you any challenge if you do any other first.

Then I would recommend bloodborne so you learn how to play without a shield, 3rd is Sekiro so you learn timing parries. Finally whatever floats your boat from ds1-3.

GaryLifo

Returnal is getting discounted for those interested.
Splendid.

If it is 30% then that would be 48.99 a price that I would buy it for, especially if I buy it with discounted psn credit from shopto

edit £50 PSN top up currently £43.85 on Shopto.net. Very nice

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Trying to cancel Battlefield but the sneaky feckers won't get back to me on the cancelation. Pricks.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Easy, I enjoy the world building, the story, and the characters. Just like an interactive movie.

I don't play on easy, but it's rare I play on the hardest mode anymore (used to play hardest mode all the time). Over the years it just seems the hardest modes are a chore and actually unfair if anything. They're not exactly "hard", more of a "feck you we will do what want and there ain't shit you can do about it". Enemies turn into bullet sponges while you can be mashed by one hit with a fist or something.

DS has too steep a learning curve that I CBA getting pissed off for hours to learn it. I'd just give up early game.

I'm old, reactions aren't what they used to be.

caid

Dark Souls games are mostly fair in their difficulty. They always become pretty easy as you become familiar with them.
They dont need reflexes or complicated button inputs or incredible environmental awareness. They just need familiarity. Theres exceptions, Sekiro is definitely more reflex focused and really pushes difficulty to the limits of fairness. Dark Souls 1 is mostly fair but just a cruel asshole at points too, it has the best moments of the series but a lot of really poor shite too. Its not a good starting point for their games.