Gaming PlayStation 5

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Streamlined systems where they targetted bottlenecks. And improving api too. Also it wasn't actually a 7870, some features were better and some worse.

It's why I always preach people learn how to properly set up their PCs for gaming and identify bottleneck issues, as you can be amazed at what difference a proper setup makes to even old machines.
Yeah if you are on a budjet finding a balance is much better than investing heavily in CPU or GFX card, I used to be an avid if not a pro PC gamer... then I got married and kids etc. I still like a solid PC, I have an old i5 atm but the only games I play are on RTS now so I still have my 1080 ti card running on 1440p, I doubt I will be upgrading anytime soon.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah if you are on a budjet finding a balance is much better than investing heavily in CPU or GFX card, I used to be an avid if not a pro PC gamer... then I got married and kids etc. I still like a solid PC, I have an old i5 atm but the only games I play are on RTS now so I still have my 1080 ti card running on 1440p, I doubt I will be upgrading anytime soon.
PC gaming is just so expensive at the moment. The equivalent gfx cards to 5 years ago are practically double the price, RAM is more expensive, mobo's are more expensive. It felt like 5 or 6 years ago you could build a high end PC for €1,000 but now that'd probably only get you a mid ranger.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
PC gaming is just so expensive at the moment. The equivalent gfx cards to 5 years ago are practically double the price, RAM is more expensive, mobo's are more expensive. It felt like 5 or 6 years ago you could build a high end PC for €1,000 but now that'd probably only get you a mid ranger.
Yeah I think, unless you are minted you simply have to accept setting GFX detail in games to mid/high is the best way forward. I see guys struggling to get above 30FPS but insisting on keeping they settings as close to ultra as they can. I haven't upgraded in 4 years now and it suits me. I still think the biggest performance boost PCs in general have had are SSDs, boot up and loading times are things of the past. will make the PS5 a much nicer console to play I would think.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
But the midranger now.. Hell even what is a budget system can get you by just fine in most cases these days. I'm running a cheapo Ryzen 5 1600 system with 16 gb of ddr4, a nvme ssd as prime and Sammy evo ssd as secondary and my aging 970 GTX and its blows through just about anything still (at least at 1080p). I used to always buy the latest and greatest..now it makes more sense to buy smart and wait it out. Thanks to AMD I can easily upgrade to one of the new Ryzen s in the existing socket bc I have a newer mobo with it and the 970 I'll probably swap (maybe) when the new Zen chip cards come out.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
But the midranger now.. Hell even what is a budget system can get you by just fine in most cases these days. I'm running a cheapo Ryzen 5 1600 system with 16 gb of ddr4, a nvme ssd as prime and Sammy evo ssd as secondary and my aging 970 GTX and its blows through just about anything still (at least at 1080p). I used to always buy the latest and greatest..now it makes more sense to buy smart and wait it out. Thanks to AMD I can easily upgrade to one of the new Ryzen s in the existing socket bc I have a newer mobo with it and the 970 I'll probably swap (maybe) when the new Zen chip cards come out.
I agree.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Considering mid-range is always the level consoles are at, and the games are generally cheaper (plus no monthly online costs), it's still not drastically expensive to build a generation relevant PC.

Once again I've spent way less on PC this gen than consoles, and I own more games on it too. That's just me though, mileage may vary.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah man I have a 970 on a i5 3470k and it still runs most modern games well. Problem is I got a Gsync 1440p monitor 2 years ago and never upgraded my PC to match it so I do want to get a better 1440p rig.

I think PC gaming is great value for 1080p right now but once you go above that res the value ratio goes waaaay down.

Shark

@NotShark
With the PS5 surely not far away now, I've been thinking more and more rather to jump to PC gaming for next generation, or at least most of it. From what I've been reading, it looks like investing in a PS5 will be almost as expensive, when you include a TV that can get the best out of it? At least on PC, yes you're paying shed loads for a high end gaming system, but you have all the games instantly at a cheaper price, when it'll take the PS5 at least a year to get up and running. Been a console gamer all my life so this would be a big change.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
With the PS5 surely not far away now, I've been thinking more and more rather to jump to PC gaming for next generation, or at least most of it. From what I've been reading, it looks like investing in a PS5 will be almost as expensive, when you include a TV that can get the best out of it? At least on PC, yes you're paying shed loads for a high end gaming system, but you have all the games instantly at a cheaper price, when it'll take the PS5 at least a year to get up and running. Been a console gamer all my life so this would be a big change.
If a PC can play all exclusive games from all consoles I would be sooooo happy

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Guess it depends how much you like the PlayStation's exclusives. If they're not that important to you/can do without then going to a PC will probably be better.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
We welcome you!

Shark

@NotShark
Guess it depends how much you like the PlayStation's exclusives. If they're not that important to you/can do without then going to a PC will probably be better.
Yeah the exclusives are the one barrier that's making me hold back, and I think you'd be hard pressed to bet against Sony having another glorious generation. How much will we be talking for 8k TV's? or would a 4k do the job?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can't wait to put my feet up in the gap while I play.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah the exclusives are the one barrier that's making me hold back, and I think you'd be hard pressed to bet against Sony having another glorious generation. How much will we be talking for 8k TV's? or would a 4k do the job?
8k gaming wont happen on that ps5

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm always gutted when the real thing gets revealed, after years of seeing these cool, funky sci-fi designs.
Was it the 2 or 3 that had those crazy silver boomerang controller prototypes leaked?

I lost faith in prophecy after that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Kevin Tan knows where it’s at:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm always gutted when the real thing gets revealed, after years of seeing these cool, funky sci-fi designs.
Looks like one of those neck cushions you put on the plane.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Just think, probably only two new playstations/xbox's left before it all goes in the cloud.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just think, probably only two new playstations/xbox's left before it all goes in the cloud.
And the rest of the world (with shitty) internet gets left behind? I can't see it personally... Don't want it either.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
And the rest of the world (with shitty) internet gets left behind? I can't see it personally... Don't want it either.
Google Stadia has already gone that way. Will have to wait and see how that does.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Although that may be true, it is also true that a high end PC from 4/5 years ago can still play all AAA PC games perfectly well so the need to upgrade is much less than it would have been even 10 years ago. When I was younger if you didn't upgrade your PC every 3 years you virtually were unable to play any new games. If anything the XBOX has slowed down progress in hardware as all the software companies need games to be able to be played well on what is now very out of date hardware.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It'll happen. It might take another 20 years, but that's where is will end up. They make such little money on consoles,why would they keep making them if they don't have to?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It'll happen. It might take another 20 years, but that's where is will end up. They make such little money on consoles,why would they keep making them if they don't have to?
But they do have to, km because the infrastructure is not there yet (and won't be for a while). Once it is they can go for it, I'll probably still be using it.

Bojan11

What you mean little money? PS4 was profitable from day one clearly as the specs weren’t all that and they were making 18 dollars per console sold. So they been making 18 or more since launch and times a 100 million nearly sold and that’s a lot of money. Also for Sony streaming isn’t as easy as Microsoft or Google. They’d have to rent servers which they currently are doing with Azure.

Stadia is going to flop. Not many people are interested in playing games via streaming. Even with the catalogue Sony have they been forced to reduce PS Now price. Google have no real gaming catalogue. They also charging full price for games as well as sub. Why would anyone pay full price to stream a game?

Game pass for me is the future. That’s idea which I rather companies go with rather than streaming.

Everyone’s been making predictions like this for years but yet somehow consoles are still here. It’s the same with discs. They were supposed to be gone ages ago if people were to be believed. Yet both next gen consoles will have disc drives. So we haven’t even gone all digital yet let alone moving to streaming.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
@Bojan11 by little money, I mean it's all relevant. Console sales are nothing compared to the money they make on software and subs. That's why Playstation are pushing PSNOW and Xbox gamepass. The future will be providing easy access to these services, and not tied to a £400 box.

Castia

@Bojan11 by little money, I mean it's all relevant. Console sales are nothing compared to the money they make on software and subs. That's why Playstation are pushing PSNOW and Xbox gamepass. The future will be providing easy access to these services, and not tied to a £400 box.

I do believe that’s the way it’s going and I don’t mind it. Xbox Gamepass is absolutely brilliant, the best thing in gaming even, the value is incredible.

Ive started to use the streaming tech myself lately. Using the steam app I’m streaming from my pc to IPad Pro and it’s pretty good, the ipad is native for XB1 and PS4 pads as well it’s so easy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bugger, my next holiday isn't until next July.