Gaming PlayStation 5

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think it’s just because you don’t move a console much, unlike laptop. You carry it around in backpacks, luggages etc.
Maybe yeah. Although I've had a laptop that never moved and that still started doing the usual laptoppy things after a few years. Funnily enough, that was a Sony one.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it’s just because you don’t move a console much, unlike laptop. You carry it around in backpacks, luggages etc.
Na it's because of the form, and a little bit of me suspects those things aren't made with longevity in mind. How else do you explain some of the dumb ideas like balled solder on CPUs that overheat and can't be fixed with simple paste.

Feck laptops, had to get that off my chest...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
+1 on the still holding my original PS4. I think the only issue I ever had was the disc thing, like someone else has mentioned also, but managed to resolve that with physical manpower.

It sounds like an absolute jumbo jet taking off whenever it’s hot or I’m playing a big game, but it still works all the same.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought the current design was just the devkit ?
Yeah that's what i was thinking reading those comments above. It's just a devkit. I don't think anything has been confirmed by Sony at all about he actual design.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah that's what i was thinking reading those comments above. It's just a devkit. I don't think anything has been confirmed by Sony at all about he actual design.
Relief if that is the case.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Gran Turismo 7 will probably release just after this comes out but only work on the PS4.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm going to buy this on release date and continue to only buy FIFA every year like the basic bitch I am and no one can stop me

Bojan11

Thank feck light bar has gone. I presume they kept the touchpad due to BC else I would have wanted that to go too.

Bojan11

More info about the SSD

Like a dripping faucet, little by little, we’re starting to get a handle on the technical specification of Sony’s next-generation console, the PS5. Perhaps the most persistent of these leaks regarding the machine is that of the mysterious cartridge patent that we reported on just last week – the train of thought being that the cartridge might represent additional storage for the PS5 (which is expected to be ship with a 1TB SSD drive).

However, it wasn’t long before the patent was updated, revealing an updated pin layout (12 pins) that would make the cartridge unsuitable for a SATA connection, and thus, not able to function as expanded storage for Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 console.
Though the 12 pin layout would seem to rule out a traditional SATA connection, Sony has updated its patent on the cartridge, specifically stipulating that this cartridge would be used by an undisclosed piece of hardware as a storage device. The plot thickens!
So indeed it would seem that this patented cartridge device is intended to be some sort of additional storage, and with the PS5’s likely 1TB SSD (or even 2TB SSD) drive to be filled quite quickly by the bigger PS5 games that will come along (don’t forget PS5 titles will ship on 100GB Blu Ray discs, while the PS5 OS will take up a chunk of that in-built storage to begin with), it would seem prudent to us that Sony would want to ship additional storage as an optional purchase with the machine when it launches late next year.

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-ssd-ex...med-new-information-added-to-existing-patent/

Lots of people were moaning about the cost of Vita storage, which was proprietary. So probably going to cost a bit if you want expandable storage.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Thank feck light bar has gone. I presume they kept the touchpad due to BC else I would have wanted that to go too.
From what I've read there is to be some extra feedback mechanics on the triggers which could be interesting. I think the extra bulk and removal of the light bar could be due to the internal shuffling going on to house that.

Volumiza

Lots of people were moaning about the cost of Vita storage, which was proprietary. So probably going to cost a bit if you want expandable storage.
It definitely makes sense, especially if the standard machine will only be 1TB, although I suspect it will be, or should be, 2TB as standard. It will cost though, I think you're going to be right about that.

Ainu

PSVR becomes a bit of a problem for Sony at this point. They've already stated the original PSVR headset would be supported by PS5, which necessitates a light bar on your controller for tracking. If they remove it, they'll either force PSVR users to buy additional, PSVR-compatible controllers or they'll have to keep supporting DS4s somehow. Either way, for new PSVR customers on the PS5, it would mean spending extra, increasing the entry-threshold, which is the last thing VR needs.

On the other hand, the light bar is pretty much useless outside of PSVR and is presumably the main cause for the DS4's utterly pathetic battery life. The vast majority will never play in VR so it would make sense to remove it.

Volumiza

PSVR becomes a bit of a problem for Sony at this point. They've already stated the original PSVR headset would be supported by PS5, which necessitates a light bar on your controller for tracking. If they remove it, they'll either force PSVR users to buy additional, PSVR-compatible controllers or they'll have to keep supporting DS4s somehow. Either way, for new PSVR customers on the PS5, it would mean spending extra, increasing the entry-threshold, which is the last thing VR needs.

On the other hand, the light bar is pretty much useless outside of PSVR and is presumably the main cause for the DS4's utterly pathetic battery life. The vast majority will never play in VR so it would make sense to remove it.
Unless the lightbar is somehow integrated with the touchpad?

Bojan11

It definitely makes sense, especially if the standard machine will only be 1TB, although I suspect it will be, or should be, 2TB as standard. It will cost though, I think you're going to be right about that.
I hope they give the option of 2TB. I know for some games they gonna give the option of downloading the campaign or multiplayer only. But I just prefer having everything installed and I probably stick a lot of my digital PS4 games on there too.

But the next 6 or so months are going to be crazy with news. Won’t beat last time though. Microsofts disastrous launch and all that used game bullshit, which Sony also took the piss out of and all the memes of Don Mattrick and Major Nelson. I think both sides will be a lot equal this time.

Volumiza

I hope they give the option of 2TB. I know for some games they gonna give the option of downloading the campaign or multiplayer only. But I just prefer having everything installed and I probably stick a lot of my digital PS4 games on there too.
I can't help but feel that in 12 months time, 1TB will feel a bit shortsighted. I'm like you and like having things installed and some of the latest games coming out (RDR2 and COD MW for example) are very hungry for space even on my Pro. It will be interesting.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
2TB of SSD Storage :lol:, your going to be talking about £500-600 id say or Sony will be making a loss again, although memory prices are fluctuating massively atm. SSD in a console will make a massive difference on performance.

Ainu

I agree, 2TB looks very optimistic. The thing with this SSD is that it has to be a proprietary interface to reach the extremely low levels of latency that they're talking about. DigitalFoundry have speculated about this and it almost sounds like the SSD is some sort of enormous extension to regular memory, meaning developers have pretty much all data available almost instantly at all times. Which is a game-changer, but clearly not possible through standard SSD interfaces. It also explains mandatory game installs.

It remains to be seen how exactly it will work. Perhaps they'll give us a user friendly expansion port for standard SSD and allow us to quickly swap games (or rather modules of games) between this and the main, proprietary SSD unit as a compromise. Because it's hard to see how they'll give us an option to upgrade the main SSD if it's so tightly coupled with the rest of the system.

I think that's the price we'll be looking at realistically.
That would be virtual suicide by Sony, I just can't see it happening after the damage it did with the PS3. At most I could see a base version at a lower price and a more expensive but I think they'll be wary of splitting the user base right from the start.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Talks of SSD's being cutting edge technology is funny, it has been standard in Pc's for ages now. The ps4 Pro should have had SSD as standard.

Bojan11

I agree, 2TB looks very optimistic. The thing with this SSD is that it has to be a proprietary interface to reach the extremely low levels of latency that they're talking about. DigitalFoundry have speculated about this and it almost sounds like the SSD is some sort of enormous extension to regular memory, meaning developers have pretty much all data available almost instantly at all times. Which is a game-changer, but clearly not possible through standard SSD interfaces. It also explains mandatory game installs.

It remains to be seen how exactly it will work. Perhaps they'll give us a user friendly expansion port for standard SSD and allow us to quickly swap games (or rather modules of games) between this and the main, proprietary SSD unit as a compromise. Because it's hard to see how they'll give us an option to upgrade the main SSD if it's so tightly coupled with the rest of the system.

That would be virtual suicide by Sony, I just can't see it happening after the damage it did with the PS3. At most I could see a base version at a lower price and a more expensive but I think they'll be wary of splitting the user base right from the start.
It won’t be suicide if the competitor is near the same price.

With the PS3 it was a different story. You had a £425 console vs £280 and £210. I know Xbox didn’t have blu ray but that wasn’t really a big thing back then. The games ran better on Xbox and it was cheaper. Also the PS3 controller was one of the worst ever. Triggers were garbage and they originally launched it with no rumble. It also launched like 15 months later in the UK and a year later in America.

MS this gen did the exact opposite. Underpowered console with forced Kinect and more expensive.

Also MS are doing a pay monthly thing for their consoles which you can upgrade next year for a higher price per month for Scarlett in partnership with GAME and Smyth toys.

I was also in GAME last week for the first time in a long time and they also had the option of buying the PS4 per month. So this is probably a option more people will do for next gen.

PS4 isn’t going to die when the PS5 is out. It will still be supported for some time especially with that install base. You also have the option of trading in your old console this time too with BC. I rather Sony attempt to go all out even if it costs £600 rather than doing a half arsed console. These consoles last for 5 plus years.

Volumiza

It would be suicidal no doubt to just launch one option so I can definitely see two options from the start as you said. I don't think a £500 price point is out of the question though, the PS5 is clearly going to be a different beast to the PS3.

Volumiza

Talks of SSD's being cutting edge technology is funny, it has been standard in Pc's for ages now. The ps4 Pro should have had SSD as standard.
It's a first for consoles and if PS4 Pro had been fitted with SSD the price point would have been much higher at the time. PC's are always ahead of consoles with regard to internal tech, that's why the cost more and look better on screen. Consoles just try and keep as close as possible while being affordable to the casual gamer market.

Ainu

No one is talking about it being cutting edge, it's just a proprietary interface in the PS5 which is not comparable to regular SSD on pc. MS might do something similar.

As for the last part, that's debatable. The PS4 Pro was released in November 2016. Average SSD price per GB was still somewhere around €0.3 at that time, maybe a little lower. I'm not sure how that price translates to console hardware but it's clear economics were still a factor. Perhaps they could've gone SSD but keep the capacity at 500GB, but that would've been problematic as well in my opinion. It's always a tough balancing act between price and performance.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
What a shit show that the new generation of consoles are being released before Grand Theft Auto 6.

Shark

@NotShark
2TB of SSD Storage :lol:, your going to be talking about £500-600 id say or Sony will be making a loss again, although memory prices are fluctuating massively atm. SSD in a console will make a massive difference on performance.
Indeed it will. I recently brought a Lenovo laptop I had thought was finished, back to performing like a brand new MacBook Pro, by installing a Samsung SSD. My mind was blown.