Gaming PlayStation 5

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yep and players are making it worse by completely buying into them!

Remaster of a remake that was remastered... Jesus I can't keep up anymore!

Instead of developers wasting staff resources making these pieces of crap and wasting time, come up with a new game!

I haven't bought a single one of them and flat out refuse to invest in the same game a 2nd time.
Yeah while I like the idea of remasters/remakes of 10-year old games and even more so of classics from 90s and early 2000s (like Mafia, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII), it really makes no sense to keep remastering a game that was released less than a decade ago and has already been remastered once.

There are many games from PSX and PS2 era that could use a remake though, and I'll gladly support that even over new IPs. If I could get new gen versions of GTA:SA and VC (not the shit they served), Silent Hill, Syphon Filter I'm all for it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can anybody recommend some good multiplayer games?

Every now and then a few mates come round and we used to play COD, taking it in turns to play Rebirth with other mates who were also online. Recently we've played FIFA Ultimate Team but got bored of it.

Want something that is either a really good local multiplayer or something we can play online that you can just take turns playing, that type of thing. Something competitive where you play other people.

Keefy18

Every now and then a few mates come round and we used to play COD, taking it in turns to play Rebirth with other mates who were also online. Recently we've played FIFA Ultimate Team but got bored of it.

Want something that is either a really good local multiplayer or something we can play online that you can just take turns playing, that type of thing. Something competitive where you play other people.
Wouldn't be a big online player myself but I do enjoy rocket league for a bit of no brainer fun. Over a few beers it can be a bit of a laugh.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
New PS+ rollout starts tomorrow.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-plus/

PlayStation Plus will soon be merging with PlayStation Now. As part of the rollout of our new service, we will start transitioning members’ accounts on 22 June and expect the process to be completed for all members by the end of the day on 23 June. The new PlayStation Plus will offer three membership plans to choose from, with a variety of benefits and game libraries featuring hundreds of recent and classic games to discover. Pay monthly as you go, quarterly for added savings, or get an annual membership for the best bang for your buck.

Ainu

Yep and players are making it worse by completely buying into them!

Remaster of a remake that was remastered... Jesus I can't keep up anymore!

Instead of developers wasting staff resources making these pieces of crap and wasting time, come up with a new game!

I haven't bought a single one of them and flat out refuse to invest in the same game a 2nd time.
In my opinion they have to be judged on a case by case basis. If you look at the Resident Evil 2 remake, that was a brilliant effort to drag an old classic into the modern era, executed pretty much to perfection. Calling that a waste of staff and resources is extremely harsh, to say the least. The remake is pretty much the best Resident Evil game ever made.

In the case of The Last of Us, it just doesn't make sense. The remaster still looks fine and runs at a locked 60 fps, so it is perfectly playable on PS4/PS5. It's just so unnecessary.

Last edited:

Balljy

In my opinion they have to be judged on a case by cases basis. If you look at the Resident Evil 2 remake, that was a brilliant effort to drag an old classic into the modern era, executed pretty much to perfection. Calling that a waste of staff and resources is extremely harsh, to say the least. The remake is pretty much the best Resident Evil game ever made.

In the case of The Last of Us, it just doesn't make sense. The remaster still looks fine and runs at a locked 60 fps, so it is perfectly playable on PS4/PS5. It's just so unnecessary.
If you take out the wasted dev time, and sometimes it can be a benefit if they use it as a testbed for their updated PS5 engine I'm OK with remasters if the game is old enough to need it, and LOU1 certainly isn't.

My main problem is the price. £70 for a 10 year old game, which I've already bought. There's no way I'm actually spending more money on it this time than last time with no discount for already owning it. It's a bit of a joke to be honest, and it's solely about easy money.

Keefy18

In my opinion they have to be judged on a case by case basis. If you look at the Resident Evil 2 remake, that was a brilliant effort to drag an old classic into the modern era, executed pretty much to perfection. Calling that a waste of staff and resources is extremely harsh, to say the least. The remake is pretty much the best Resident Evil game ever made.

I get that, it's just a personal preference really.

I've zero interest in replaying most games. I fully immerse myself into games I really enjoy and rarely if ever go back to them.

TLOU is a blatant cash grab and looking around social media it seems their gonna cash in and big!

Ainu

If you take out the wasted dev time, and sometimes it can be a benefit if they use it as a testbed for their updated PS5 engine I'm OK with remasters if the game is old enough to need it, and LOU1 certainly isn't.

My main problem is the price. £70 for a 10 year old game, which I've already bought. There's no way I'm actually spending more money on it this time than last time with no discount for already owning it. It's a bit of a joke to be honest, and it's solely about easy money.
Yes the price is insane. Who is this even aimed at? It's going to be a PS5 only game, and everyone on PS5 already has access to the remaster if they're a PS Plus (lowest tier) subscriber through the PS Plus Collection. This isn't like Demon's Souls where the original game was limited to the PS3 and ran pretty poorly at times.

Damien

Staff
Do you know which plan they're defaulting people to with the upgrade?

I can't really see the benefit for me of anything above the base tier.
Essential (base tier) is the default unless you've got PS Now in which case you automatically get upgraded to Premium. This is the email I got on Friday:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How much would it cost to upgrade to the Extra tier considering my current PS Plus membership runs until November?
I think it charges you the difference for the months you have remaining.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve said this multiple times but I can’t stress enough how much the quality of life changes make it worthwhile over the PS4. That’s before you start on the games and the frame rates etc. honestly think if you are a regular/serious gamer you have to be upgrading to a 5 as soon as possible as it’s just miles better than every way than the 4.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm going to upgrade to the Extra PS Plus tier. I want to play Death Stranding, GoT and I'm going to give the Demon's Souls Remake another go. Seems worth it to upgrade. Apparently, they're refreshing it in the middle of every month as well.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's been in stock all day on Amazon. Things finally getting back to normal?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think I might upgrade after a little while. I already own most of the games on the service. The only ones I would potentially play are LOU2, Guardians of the Galaxy, potentially try that weird walking simulator game (forgot what it’s called)

Irwin99

RE1 in my opinion is the single greatest Remake of any game i've ever encountered but two is fantastic as well (I wish they had not made the original soundtrack a micro transaction though as people should hear it)

I actually love remakes if they're done well because I guess you could say that more 'serious' gaming was coming into its own around the PS1 and PS2 eras but they were still hampered by the limited technology. If you look at games like Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain and Silent Hill 1 with their voice acting (SR) and atmosphere (SE) they're almost masterpieces...and then you get to the gameplay and you realise it could really use an update.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm still not sure if I shall upgrade to 'Extra' or 'Premium'.

I'll definitely upgrade at least to 'Extra' because I still have some PS4 games on my wish list. I don't want PS1-PS3 games, so I wouldn't really need 'Premium', but on the other hand it's only a 20€ difference per year and you'll additionally get time-limited game trials (was their any more specific news about what we can expect here?)....hmmm

Damien

Staff
I'm still not sure if I shall upgrade to 'Extra' or 'Premium'.

I'll definitely upgrade at least to 'Extra' because I still have some PS4 games on my wish list. I don't want PS1-PS3 games, so I wouldn't really need 'Premium', but on the other hand it's only a 20€ difference per year and you'll additionally get time-limited game trials (was their any more specific news about what we can expect here?)....hmmm
You can see the US time trials here. I imagine the Europe region won't be much different. Though it'll be expanded in time I don't think it is really worth it right now.

I'd say go for Extra unless you really don't mind paying the additional 20 for Premium. Though the Classics are advertised as mostly PS1-PS3 games, they're weird in that there are some newer versions of classic games there too. So instead of the original Mafia games there's the PS4 Definitive Edition versions and instead of the original TLOU there's the PS4 remastered version.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wonder how the conversion is going to work for a subscription that ends in April. Technically I have almost 10 months left and if I were to upgrade on a full year basis, it’s 160 PLN to go to Extra but monthly difference in price is 21 PLN. So they either charge me for 75% or so of the 160 PLN to upgrade to cover 9/10 months, or they just charge me 21 PLN per month for the 9 months which will obviously be more expensive. This has not really been clarified.

I like that between this and Game Pass games don’t really seem to overlap too much. There’s AC Valhalla here but Origins in GPU, indies are quite similar though GPU has much broader selection obviously. Outside of NBA 2K, 1-2 Switch games per year and maybe 1-2 huge launches (though it has to be something really significant that I am inclined to play day one, eg Witcher 4, GTA6) I don’t really foresee myself spending any money on games going forward.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Why were my posts from earlier deleted? I was literally discussing a Sony product.
Yeah mine were deleted too.I believe it’s because the discussion was about new gen consoles in general rather than just PS5 (at least my posts)

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC

Overcooked is a great local multiplayer game. Fat princess is also quite fun for a run through. There’s another game similar to overcooked but on a space ship I believe is also meant to be quite good.

For online shooter take turns. The main ones I’ve played are all games you’ve likely already played - Cod, apex, Fortnite and overwatch.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Sackboy for couch co op