Gaming PlayStation 5

b82REZ

Almost to the day it happened last year my PS5 has bricked. Again.

Same issue. Isn't being detected on HDMI, same issue using other TV or cable. Able to access it via remote play on PC.

I'm fecking livid. It's out of warranty so no idea what I'll have to pay to get it repaired this time.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Same issue. Isn't being detected on HDMI, same issue using other TV or cable. Able to access it via remote play on PC.

I'm fecking livid. It's out of warranty so no idea what I'll have to pay to get it repaired this time.
Do you change the HDMI cable often? Like switch between TV and projector for example?

Obviously you've tried another cable too already.

Not sure if there's a way to reset the display settings? Can you try changing them via remote play? Just goto The most basic settings? (No HDR, no 120hz) etc?

b82REZ

Do you change the HDMI cable often? Like switch between TV and projector for example?

Obviously you've tried another cable too already.

Not sure if there's a way to reset the display settings? Can you try changing them via remote play? Just goto The most basic settings? (No HDR, no 120hz) etc?
It's the console.

I had the exact same issue last year.

The console goes through all normal boot up but TV doesn't detect it.

b82REZ

Thought I'd test it one last time before I sent it off.

Turned on as normal and everything is fine.

Not sure what caused the issue either time but at least this time it seems to have been temporary.

b82REZ

How widespread is this? I remember back in the original PS3 days they had a yellow light of doom problem.
No idea. Like I said a few days ago. I had seemingly the exact same issue this time last year. Last year I had to send it off to Sony.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The down button on my d-pad is suddenly broken after a Dual sense update. I think it's a coincidence since I've read no similar complaints online, but a bit shitty that it broke than anyway, since I haven played on it that much so far and have played no games at all that even require heavy use of the D-pad.

Irwin99

Deathloop is ok/decent so far but it really looks and feels like a last gen game. Have played the other big three exclusives- Ratchet and Clank, Returnal and Demon's Souls and they're way more indicative of the potential of the PS5. Sounds trivial I acknowledge but I don't get why this was a PS5 only game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The PS5 controller is a wonderful bit of tech. Astros obviously showcased all of it while others are yet to make full use. But while the dual sense needs games to utilize it, while playing Cyberpunk I was just thinking how much more immersion combat felt because of the adaptive triggers. The different feel of pistols and rifles really add to the experience and makes everything more weighty.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

It's not 'bricked' if it's turning on surely? Mine does this some times actually and I've no idea why. Assumed it was something happening between the HDMI cable and the TV as it normally comes on when I flick the between tv and hdmi outputs on the tv remote. Have had to reboot once or twice though. What tv are you playing on?

b82REZ

It's not 'bricked' if it's turning on surely? Mine does this some times actually and I've no idea why. Assumed it was something happening between the HDMI cable and the TV as it normally comes on when I flick the between tv and hdmi outputs on the tv remote. Have had to reboot once or twice though. What tv are you playing on?
It's a Samsung. But the time I returned it I was getting the same issue on a LG TV as well.

When it happens the TV doesn't even recognise a HDMI input is there. I always assumed the issue was a loose HDMI port on the motherboard but Sony don't advise you what the issue was or how they fixed it when they return the console.

Thankfully this time it seems to have rectified itself so fingers crossed it was just loose connection or something.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The PS5 controller is a wonderful bit of tech. Astros obviously showcased all of it while others are yet to make full use. But while the dual sense needs games to utilize it, while playing Cyberpunk I was just thinking how much more immersion combat felt because of the adaptive triggers. The different feel of pistols and rifles really add to the experience and makes everything more weighty.
Same with Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West. While the latter does not use the full capability of the controller its still a big step up compared to its predecessor

Ainu

It's a Samsung. But the time I returned it I was getting the same issue on a LG TV as well.

When it happens the TV doesn't even recognise a HDMI input is there. I always assumed the issue was a loose HDMI port on the motherboard but Sony don't advise you what the issue was or how they fixed it when they return the console.

Thankfully this time it seems to have rectified itself so fingers crossed it was just loose connection or something.
I've had issues with getting the HDMI connection recognized on my LG C9. In my case it was because of a setting on the HDMI port of the tv specifically. Don't remember which setting exactly and I'm not at home so can't check, but you could look into that. I believe it was something like Ultra HD Deep Color or whatever. Even when I fixed that setting, it got reset by the tv after a firmware update at one point.

Since you tested on different TVs, it's probably something else, but you never know.

M16Red

b82REZ

I've had issues with getting the HDMI connection recognized on my LG C9. In my case it was because of a setting on the HDMI port of the tv specifically. Don't remember which setting exactly and I'm not at home so can't check, but you could look into that. I believe it was something like Ultra HD Deep Color or whatever. Even when I fixed that setting, it got reset by the tv after a firmware update at one point.

Since you tested on different TVs, it's probably something else, but you never know.
Last year it was definitely a console issue. This year I'm stumped what caused it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Yeah mine is a Samsung as well. I get the 'not connected' message and have had to reboot a couple of times. Hasn't done it for a while though (touch wood) so maybe it was a software issue.

kps88

Thinking of getting one, or at least attempting to get one, as they're opening up for preorder where I'm at soon. PS Plus Extra seems amazing value to me as a lot of the games I want to play are already on there. Was wondering if games are taken off the list often? If I see something I like being offered now, is there a decent chance it'll no longer be on the list if I get to it in a few months?

Leg-End

Thinking of getting one, or at least attempting to get one, as they're opening up for preorder where I'm at soon. PS Plus Extra seems amazing value to me as a lot of the games I want to play are already on there. Was wondering if games are taken off the list often? If I see something I like being offered now, is there a decent chance it'll no longer be on the list if I get to it in a few months?
Games will come and go on it, there haven’t been many as of yet but it’s still early days as they want to build value in it. Anyone new to PS5’s should pick it up though, it’s huge value for money for a starter catalogue.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I think it's clearly more.powerful than the PS4, games are nowhere near hitting their full potential yet as they're made for cross gen, once developers leave the PS4 behind then we will get the most out of it.
Is this definitely going to happen though? The 4 seems to be going strong and the 5 is so hard to get. Did this cross gen thing happen as much with previous generations? I know the 5 is more powerful but i don't think the games yet make it clear at all.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Is this definitely going to happen though? The 4 seems to be going strong and the 5 is so hard to get. Did this cross gen thing happen as much with previous generations? I know the 5 is more powerful but i don't think the games yet make it clear at all.
It'll happen eventually, think it'll be 2-3 years time before we see ps5 only games and then not bothering with the PS4 versions of them.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It'll happen eventually, think it'll be 2-3 years time before we see ps5 only games and then not bothering with the PS4 versions of them.
It's already been oit 1 year. 3-4 years before it's potential is realised is crazy, I can't remember it being like that on previous generations

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's already been oit 1 year. 3-4 years before it's potential is realised is crazy, I can't remember it being like that on previous generations
There will be a Sony studio game which uses most the potential in the next year or so, but other studios will take longer.

kps88

Games will come and go on it, there haven’t been many as of yet but it’s still early days as they want to build value in it. Anyone new to PS5’s should pick it up though, it’s huge value for money for a starter catalogue.
Yeah looks great for a starter catalogue. Have there been any big departures?

LoneStar

Hi guys, it's been 18 months since I got this, and I have barely played any first person shooter games. I tried to play COD once, and playing with a controller was absolutely miserable. Any tips or games you would recommend to help me get better at fps games using a controller?

pacifictheme

I don't really understand this. Generally the best games, or certainly the games that use a consoles potential best, come towards the end of its life cycle when developers have fully understood it.

Not to mention the ps5 and xbox released during covid, which has definitely pushed some games back.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I don't really understand this. Generally the best games, or certainly the games that use a consoles potential best, come towards the end of its life cycle when developers have fully understood it.

Not to mention the ps5 and xbox released during covid, which has definitely pushed some games back.
You do understand it really in a general sense don't you?

pacifictheme

You do understand it really in a general sense don't you?
Not really. Like I said it's pretty common for console generations to see the best use of the console towards the end of its life. Not in the first year. And covid fecked stuff up too.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Not really. Like I said it's pretty common for console generations to see the best use of the console towards the end of its life. Not in the first year. And covid fecked stuff up too.
Yea I understand what you're saying. I was going to say no need to be condescending but it's a forum so its allowed.

largelyworried

Saw this article that I thought made good reading about first party exclusives (obviously ignoring any next gen but cross platform games alongside the One X).

https://gamerant.com/ps4-exclusives-list-best/

Arguably Uncharted 4 was the first game that really took advantage of the hardware to deliver a great game that was also impossible on PS3. So maybe 3 years after its release. It was 4 yrs onwards that things like Horizon Dawn Zero and God of War started to arrive.

Balljy

Saw this article that I thought made good reading about first party exclusives (obviously ignoring any next gen but cross platform games alongside the One X).

https://gamerant.com/ps4-exclusives-list-best/

Arguably Uncharted 4 was the first game that really took advantage of the hardware to deliver a great game that was also impossible on PS3. So maybe 3 years after its release. It was 4 yrs onwards that things like Horizon Dawn Zero and God of War started to arrive.
I was just looking at the releases and noticed that. It was 2016 when the first games that really used the hardware came out and 2017 was the start of the rush of great games. It took longer than I remembered on PS4.