Gaming PlayStation 5

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's a weird one. The idea would be fantastic if they let you use it for cloud gaming but seemingly that's not on the cards right now?
It'd still be somewhat pointless even for cloud gaming as you can do that with your mobile already, but I agree it'd at least be a passable idea.

Leg-End

Wasn't a showcase for me but then they never really are anymore, getting old sucks.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
MGS3 Remake would be insane but I want MGS1 more than any other.
It's been in the rumour mill like 3 was.

Would imagine it's the hardest to remake because of a) the battles being broken by adding new gameplay elements like they did in Twin Snakes and b) the extra areas of Shadow Moses being revealed in MGS4 might complicate just making a straight remake with MGS1 areas a bit less appealing.

As with you though, it's my favourite story with favourite characters and favourite setting so it's the one I want. 3 is the one for the James Bond style, 60's versus the Soviets style that makes it appealing for a modern remake. Plus EVA's tiddies...

My bigger concern is that it’s not actually going to be good. Konami have been an absolute shit show of late. They’ve absolutely ruined PES / efootball. Hopefully this does justice to the incredible game.
Precisely why I don’t have much high hopes for this potential MGS3 remake.
If it helps, they won't be developing it, only publishing it. Outside studio handling the making of it.

Also, to the MGS4 haters - feck you it was great.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thought spiderman 2 looked good. They haven’t reinvented the wheel but some clever additions on the traversal and stealth which just make it look even more fluid which I think is what they are going for. I understand the concerns about the “set piece moments” but I that keeps it truer to what you expect from a spiderman (any superhero) game. I’d say my biggest concern is the city itself. I’ve explored it…twice, how do they make that feel like something exciting again?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Thought spiderman 2 looked good. They haven’t reinvented the wheel but some clever additions on the traversal and stealth which just make it look even more fluid which I think is what they are going for. I understand the concerns about the “set piece moments” but I that keeps it truer to what you expect from a spiderman (any superhero) game. I’d say my biggest concern is the city itself. I’ve explored it…twice, how do they make that feel like something exciting again?
Agree with all of that. Main reason im not overly excited is the city.

b82REZ

Spiderman and New York go hand in hand, it was highly unlikely it was going to be anywhere else.

But ToTK has just shown using the same map isn't always a bad thing.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It'd still be somewhat pointless even for cloud gaming as you can do that with your mobile already, but I agree it'd at least be a passable idea.
Yep, I didn't realise how cost effective cloud gaming is. I could in theory use a controller mount (£15) and my phone for the likes of game pass. There's also cheap-isg devices like the Retroid Pocket 3 (£150) that can do it.

I'd say the success of this device really rests on how they price it. If it's anything north of £150 then I reckon they're running into trouble.

Slightly underwhelming
Oof! I'm very surprised at the lack of a killer VR app. How're you feeling about that at the moment?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How well are Konami doing ? Because I get the sense that MGS: Snake Eater needs to be a big success.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Decent showcase I thought. Nothing crazy. Glad to finally see some gameplay for SpiderMan 2; it looks awesome. Surprised we didn't get a specific date for it though. Strange. MGS3 remake everyone knew about so no surprise there. And the fact that it's MGS3 is a bit...meh.

That Phantom Blade Zero game looked really cool though I thought.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
How well are Konami doing ? Because I get the sense that MGS: Snake Eater needs to be a big success.
Ironically they're doing pretty good. Their share price dipped over the past year but it's still higher than it was during their "good" development period.

They are however basically a gambling company now as their primary focus is using their assets to manufacture pachinko machines - look that up if you don't know.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, pachinko machines are huge for Konami. But apparently, they had to recently lower their financial forecast due to some "titles in the digital entertainment business" I really don't think efootball worked out for them, and I know they're doing a Silent Hill remake but not sure when that's coming out.

I think they need this MGS3 remake to hit if they want to be healthy in the gaming industry. I know they got other revenue streams.

caid

Ironically they're doing pretty good. Their share price dipped over the past year but it's still higher than it was during their "good" development period.

They are however basically a gambling company now as their primary focus is using their assets to manufacture pachinko machines - look that up if you don't know.
I think the normal game development part of the company is pretty small these days. I wonder is it possible to seperate out that part of the business

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm genuinely speechless at how pointless this playstation portable is. You can't use it on the go and you need it to be connected to the same WiFi as your ps5. It's just a monitor with buttons ffs :lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm genuinely speechless at how pointless this playstation portable is. You can't use it on the go and you need it to be connected to the same WiFi as your ps5. It's just a monitor with buttons ffs :lol:
People will tunnel so they can use it outside of the home, but really it should have had a streaming client on there too. Wonder why they didn't?

Oof! I'm very surprised at the lack of a killer VR app. How're you feeling about that at the moment?
RE4 is the killer app. I wanted more though of course but.... Guess I have to go back to my backlog, I've got loads!

Raw

Did you guys buy the PSN extra or just the essentials?
Personally I've been on Premium the last couple of years but I'm thinking of downgrading to Extra, I've just not played any of the classics recently.

The upgrade from Essential to Extra is massive though, you get a lot of PS5 + PS4 games ready to download whenever.

lilcurt

I don't fully get who it's targeted at. Teenagers will have the console in their bedroom. It is surely only going to appeal to those who have a console in the living room and can't hog the TV all day.

Even then, why not just buy a Steamdeck to stream from your PS5 AND play games natively from Steam.

Will wait until they reveal the final spec and price point. Anything over £150 and I think it's dead on arrival.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I really liked Humanity.

Ngl, I needed a guide to get the plat, though. Some of those mid to late levels were tough.

Coxy

I don't fully get who it's targeted at. Teenagers will have the console in their bedroom. It is surely only going to appeal to those who have a console in the living room and can't hog the TV all day.

Even then, why not just buy a Steamdeck to stream from your PS5 AND play games natively from Steam.

Will wait until they reveal the final spec and price point. Anything over £150 and I think it's dead on arrival.
I’m 40 - my wife and kids hog the TV every night so I can’t play on my PS5. I have my PC to play my Steam games, so no interest in that.

for me this would be great (with the EarPods) so I can play games in the evening again - but I agree, anything more than £150 and I’d struggle to convince my wife it’s worth it

Tiber

I had such a good time with Jedi Survivor. Miss playing it

exploring the world was so much more enjoyable than the first world

Tiber

As someone who never docks his switch because I love playing handheld in bed, I kinda get it as presumably a low cost option. But not sure il buy it, already have Switch and Steamdeck

Unless im going on holiday my portables never leave the house

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
As someone who never docks his switch because I love playing handheld in bed, I kinda get it as presumably a low cost option. But not sure il buy it, already have Switch and Steamdeck

Unless im going on holiday my portables never leave the house
I'd class it as premium rather than low cost. You need to own the console already and this thing is apparently going to be cost anywhere between £150-250 according to reports.

Tiber

I'd class it as premium rather than low cost. You need to own the console already and this thing is apparently going to be cost anywhere between £150-250 according to reports.
A mid range steam deck is £459 so I would classify £150 as a fairly low cost option if you wanted a portable experience on PlayStation. Assuming its a decent screen

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I just don't understand why Sony won't release a PS4 Portable - or basically something like it. Imagine being able to play the full ps4 catalog on the go, people would lap it up.

Sarni

A mid range steam deck is £459 so I would classify £150 as a fairly low cost option if you wanted a portable experience on PlayStation. Assuming its a decent screen
It's not really properly portable and you need to own a £500 or so PS5 to be able to do anything with it.

Steam Deck plays games independently, this one does not. It's a streaming device, presumably aimed at people who don't own smartphones (all five of them that exist somewhere maybe) or whatever.

Sarni

I just don't understand why Sony won't release a PS4 Portable - or basically something like it. Imagine being able to play the full ps4 catalog on the go, people would lap it up.
I imagine they just don't want to enter Nintendo's market anymore. PSP sold well at 80m but Vita was a massive failure at less than 20m.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Well the Steam Deck is £459 all in whereas this is going to be £150/250+450 (£600/750) so by definition it's a premium addition I think. The only way it's truly "low-cost" is if you're writing off the £450 you've already spent on the console.

That said, it's still a nice option for people like yourself who don't have access to a TV at all times.

Edit - Personally if I were looking at handheld gaming, I'd be looking at a Retroid Pocket 3+ as you could theoretically take advantage of PS5 remote play, PSN cloud gaming, emulation, and even put a Gamepass sub on there.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I imagine they just don't want to enter Nintendo's market anymore. PSP sold well at 80m but Vita was a massive failure at less than 20m.
The PS5 is also a powerhouse and much of the catelogue is far more graphics intensive and harder to fit into a handheld as compared to Nintendo / Switch games

Sarni

The PS5 is also a powerhouse and much of the catelogue is far more graphics intensive and harder to fit into a handheld as compared to Nintendo / Switch games
No, of course, you will not be able to make a handheld that plays PS5 games, or otherwise it'd be insanely expensive and the battery would probably last 1 hour max.

He mentioned PS4 though which would be feasible at this point with decent battery life (this is pretty much the extent of power I'd expect from Switch 2 next year).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I said PS4.
The Vita had a terrible catalogue and Sony didn't really try to make many games for it, either. Having a handheld with the full ps4 backlog would be immediately more compelling.