Gaming PlayStation Plus

Woodzy

Said it before and will say it again, but you need to give Hollow Knight a good few hours before it clicks. I came back to it a few times before I decided I liked it and now remains one of my favourite games ever.

As soon as you unlock some abilities and some good charms then it becomes a lot better, probably because moving around feels more fluid.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m really enjoying Shadow of War, it’s mindless fun but the game really opens up once you get to the recruitment stage. Just trying to select the perfect captains is awesome. It’s actually incredible the sheer variety of orcs in the game too, the nemesis system really is fantastic. It’s a shame it’s never been copied into other games more frequently.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I’m really enjoying Shadow of War, it’s mindless fun but the game really opens up once you get to the recruitment stage. Just trying to select the perfect captains is awesome. It’s actually incredible the sheer variety of orcs in the game too, the nemesis system really is fantastic. It’s a shame it’s never been copied into other games more frequently.
Is it a strategy game?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ah I gave up and uninstalled before this point. Found it quite one dimensional eventually. Had just gotten back to Minis Ithil I think.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I've only played half of it and I agree. It's the best "similar to Dark souls" game I've played. Far better than stuff like Nioh.
I disagree about it being similar to dark souls, it's a typical metroidvenia with the only influence from dark souls being the story is written in a kind of similar way.

TrustInJanuzaj

Ah I gave up and uninstalled before this point. Found it quite one dimensional eventually. Had just gotten back to Minis Ithil I think.
Yep you kind of have to just plow through that bit but I’d heard you could battle your friends orcs so I had I feeling there was more to come. It’s definitely a little dated in its mechanics but it’s getting more fun now that I’m becoming more of a one man army.

TrustInJanuzaj

Is it a strategy game?
No it’s a big sandbox built around the nemesis system. It becomes fun when you can recruit and train your own orcs and then send them into battle both against other orcs but also online when defending your fortress (clash of clans style). It’s quite a neat system actually.

Woodzy

I disagree about it being similar to dark souls, it's a typical metroidvenia with the only influence from dark souls being the story is written in a kind of similar way.
Of course it has other similar elements. 'Currency' retrieval on death, difficult bosses, resting places to name a few.

I agree that it's a metroidvania first and foremost though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The"feel" and difficulty reminds me of DS. Are all metroidvania games this difficult? A game can be similar to multiple other games.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No it’s a big sandbox built around the nemesis system. It becomes fun when you can recruit and train your own orcs and then send them into battle both against other orcs but also online when defending your fortress (clash of clans style). It’s quite a neat system actually.
Aaah I see sounds fun I might give it a go

TrustInJanuzaj

Aaah I see sounds fun I might give it a go
I’d just say plow through the first few hours of the story as it’s pretty boring and at least personally it only becomes fun once you can recruit your own army and also have afew more combat abilities.

RedDevilRoshi

Looking at the list of PS+ games that are going to be available for you to download on Thursday, has anyone played Infamous 2nd son? I never played it but remember playing the 1st one on PS3 and thought it was pretty good. Is this one any good or a waste of a download?

TrustInJanuzaj

Looking at the list of PS+ games that are going to be available for you to download on Thursday, has anyone played Infamous 2nd son? I never played it but remember playing the 1st one on PS3 and thought it was pretty good. Is this one any good or a waste of a download?
Its decent and certainly worth playing but it's not as good as the 1st or 2nd in my opinion. I just think the character and storey are weaker than the prior games but the gameplay is pretty fun. I might actually dive back in now it's free.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Its decent and certainly worth playing but it's not as good as the 1st or 2nd in my opinion. I just think the character and storey are weaker than the prior games but the gameplay is pretty fun. I might actually dive back in now it's free.
Yep, I agree with this.

Not as good as what came before, but still well worth it as a freebie!

RedDevilRoshi

Yep, I agree with this.

Not as good as what came before, but still well worth it as a freebie!
Cheers guys. As a freebie, might as well give it a go.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Of course it has other similar elements. 'Currency' retrieval on death, difficult bosses, resting places to name a few.

I agree that it's a metroidvania first and foremost though.
Difficult bosses aren't something exclusive to Dark Souls though and Catlevania had them back when it started, but yeah the currency is another thing in common with souls game, however the devs said they didn't have souls games in mind when they were creating Hollow Knight, and I feel like the game is much more than a dark souls kind of experience.

The"feel" and difficulty reminds me of DS. Are all metroidvania games this difficult? A game can be similar to multiple other games.
Yeah I meant the "feel" by saying story since it's very focused on exploring the lore, but yeah metroidvania games can be difficult, heck even Ori is difficult eventhough it's not on the same level imo, I recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night if you are looking for a modern metroidvania experience, not as good as HK imo but still a very good game.

AaronRedDevil

Didnt like JC 4 tbh. Loved JC 3 and j never really got into the series. But that was really fun.

TrustInJanuzaj

Pretty happy with Just Cause as I've always wanted to give that a go. This is much more like it from the service, I've just spent the whole month playing Shadow of War and then I can jump into these after, excellent. Keeping me going till I finally get the PS5.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is Rocket Arena that one that looked similar to Rocket League with people riding on cars?

hobbers

Is Rocket Arena that one that looked similar to Rocket League with people riding on cars?
Think you're thinking of Destruction AllStars which is out in February.

Rocket Arena is just another EA scam. A team shooter which ripped off all the other free to play shooters of late but did it all worse, removed what little subtlety or complexity was left in the genre and then, oh yeh, slapped a full game price tag on it to go along with the battle pass system and skins to purchase. :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Worms Rumble it is then. I’ve always loved worms so hope it’s good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just seen that the Worms game isn't turn based. Why does everything good get ruined.

Reactions: Damien

amolbhatia50k

Back to the usual 2020 style crappy line up this month.

Good thing I still have to play Hollow Knight and Shadow of War

amolbhatia50k

Back to the usual 2020 style crappy line up this month.

Good thing I still have to play Hollow Knight and Shadow of War
Bloody hell, after months of waiting for a good Ps plus line up, I forgot to download these two. :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've not played any of the newer Tomb Raider games so I'll definitely give it a go. Same with Maneater. Not sure about Greedfall.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Haven't played the Tomb Raider game so that's a good pick. From the little bits that I've read, Greedfall supposed to be a very decent game. So quite a strong lineup there, I guess.