Gaming PlayStation Plus

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not been a great year for PS Plus. There have been a few games as you would expect, but overall it's been very poor. I would have loved them to do something with the PS Plus Collection as well. Adding one or two games to that, even if they took other games off. Just replenish it with some new titles as I think it's great accouterment for PS5/PS Plus owners. But it looks like that isn't going to be touched.

I do think they have to change something and spice it up a bit; it's getting a little stale now. Even if it's just rolling in PS Now with it (which they should have done ages ago).

Bosws87

Not been a great year for PS Plus. There have been a few games as you would expect, but overall it's been very poor. I would have loved them to do something with the PS Plus Collection as well. Adding one or two games to that, even if they took other games off. Just replenish it with some new titles as I think it's great accouterment for PS5/PS Plus owners. But it looks like that isn't going to be touched.

I do think they have to change something and spice it up a bit; it's getting a little stale now. Even if it's just rolling in PS Now with it (which they should have done ages ago).
Can't see there being any vast improvement its just a token gesture to keep you happy to distract you from the fact you are paying a price just to play a game you have already paid for online, which are also full of microtransactions which they take even more of a cut of.

Proper scam that this has become the norm.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'll try Mortal Shell, given it's a soulslike.
I have it already, it's pretty good. Whether Souls fans will like it as much as Souls I don't know but it plays pretty well and looks pretty good. I haven't got too far into it but enjoyed what I played so far.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't see there being any vast improvement its just a token gesture to keep you happy to distract you from the fact you are paying a price just to play a game you have already paid for online, which are also full of microtransactions which they take even more of a cut of.

Proper scam that this has become the norm.
No, I don't think there will be any changes either. Particularly when there's no impetus to do so. Their numbers are seemingly quite healthy which generates a decent income for them.

I was reading about their numbers the other day. In 2014 they had 8 million subscribers, then it began to shoot up to where they now have 47 million as of September 2021. Quite the increase.

Siorac

I'd hate playing something like Bloodborne offline. That's actually a cop out because you can't get invaded in certain areas, so it makes the game easy.
I hate getting invaded in Souls games, it's one mechanic I certainly didn't miss in Sekiro.

Soulsborne PvP is quite shite, if we're honest. The whole asynchronous multiplayer is a neat idea but the actual PvP combat has always been... questionable at best.

b82REZ

Why do they need to spice it up though?

For most people it's a necessary evil to play online. The games are just a bit of a sweetener.

There's no way they're going to add PS5 games to the PS+ Collection. They're still retailing above PS4 titles, for the most part.

Godfall as a freebie is likely paving the way for Gearbox to make it F2P.

Moby

Dick
I hate getting invaded in Souls games, it's one mechanic I certainly didn't miss in Sekiro.

Soulsborne PvP is quite shite, if we're honest. The whole asynchronous multiplayer is a neat idea but the actual PvP combat has always been... questionable at best.
The matchmaking is a joke (hoping the rumors about the fixes in Elden Ring work well).

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

For most people it's a necessary evil to play online. The games are just a bit of a sweetener.

There's no way they're going to add PS5 games to the PS+ Collection. They're still retailing above PS4 titles, for the most part.

Yeah, this is something I was just saying to the poster above to be fair. They don't really. They certainly have no impetus to do so, I guess. It was more me hoping they would as opposed to them actually doing it. I personally find it a bit stale and would love to see some change. But their numbers are seemingly very healthy.

Also, I don't think they need to add PS5 games to the collection. I mean, there are no PS5 games on there now unless I'm forgetting any. Just take one or two off, and add some new ones. I don't know. More of a hope than anything.

Also, the PS Plus games are going to be very subjective. Personally, apart from one or two, I've found them underwhelming this year.

Bosws87

Sony are just playing the waiting game they are slowly building up the PS Now service and waiting to see how well gamepass does in the long term.

Then overnight if it suddenly becomes obvious gamepass is doing great and people want it, it’s already up and running and will just be rebranded.

b82REZ

Yeah, this is something I was just saying to the poster above to be fair. They don't really. They certainly have no impetus to do so, I guess. It was more me hoping they would as opposed to them actually doing it. I personally find it a bit stale and would love to see some change. But their numbers are seemingly very healthy.

Also, I don't think they need to add PS5 games to the collection. I mean, there are no PS5 games on there now unless I'm forgetting any. Just take one or two off, and add some new ones. I don't know. More of a hope than anything.

Also, the PS Plus games are going to be very subjective. Personally, apart from one or two, I've found them underwhelming this year.
I've actually found some real gems this year. PGA21 for example. Ended up trying it as a multiplayer game and it's become a regular in our line up now.

Siorac

The matchmaking is a joke (hoping the rumors about the fixes in Elden Ring work well).
It's not just that though. The implementation of the P2P system means that what you see on the screen and what actually happens can be rather different at times - it's really no fun getting backstabbed when to you it looks like you're miles away from the opposition.

And, well, this might be an unpopular opinion but Soulsborne combat doesn't really work well in PvP. It's just a bit silly, two people rolling around each other, fishing for backstabs and the occasional parry.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I've actually found some real gems this year. PGA21 for example. Ended up trying it as a multiplayer game and it's become a regular in our line up now.
Just had a quick browse of all the games released this year on the service to see which ones piqued my interest and the ones I've enjoyed:

• Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Hitman 2
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
  • Farpoint (mainly because it’s a VR game)
  • Control: Ultimate Edition (which I bought the week prior!)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
So there is a couple there. I missed the PGA21 one because my subscription lapsed and I didn't bother renewing it for that month as I wasn't playing a lot.

Moby

Dick
It's not just that though. The implementation of the P2P system means that what you see on the screen and what actually happens can be rather different at times - it's really no fun getting backstabbed when to you it looks like you're miles away from the opposition.

And, well, this might be an unpopular opinion but Soulsborne combat doesn't really work well in PvP. It's just a bit silly, two people rolling around each other, fishing for backstabs and the occasional parry.
Yeah :lol: I haven't done it much but I don't think it's very polished. But let's see how it goes in ER, because you can also jump if I'm not wrong.

Moby

Dick
Interesting. I only trialled it a bit singleplayer and it looked really good. Definitely sounds like it would be fun multiplayer.

Bosws87

tbf I can’t think of a single game that has nailed that type of combat in pvp, if they could the potential is there. Imagine a sekiro like combat with minimal input delay would be amazing.

MMO’s are the closest to that type of combat and they are still pretty simple.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Nah, I'm the same. I've never liked that aspect of those games. The main draw for me is the exploration and uncovering the mysteries. The combat against the Ai is great but always felt cumbersome when fighting another human player.

Siorac

Nah, I'm the same. I've never liked that aspect of those games. The main draw for me is the exploration and uncovering the mysteries. The combat against the Ai is great but always felt cumbersome when fighting another human player.
Yeah, part of why I like Souls games is because the combat is almost like a puzzle or a strategy game: you just have to figure out the best solution for a given situation and once you do, executing it isn't actually very difficult because the games don't require insane twitch reflexes or anything, with the possible exception of Sekiro (which I consider to be the hardest From game partly because of this).

That goes out the window in PvP, and it becomes all about timing and reflexes (and latency).

b82REZ

Interesting. I only trialled it a bit singleplayer and it looked really good. Definitely sounds like it would be fun multiplayer.
It's not without its flaws but it's a solid game. I just wish you could watch others finish the hole if you finish before them.

b82REZ

Just had a quick browse of all the games released this year on the service to see which ones piqued my interest and the ones I've enjoyed:

• Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Hitman 2
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
  • Farpoint (mainly because it’s a VR game)
  • Control: Ultimate Edition (which I bought the week prior!)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
So there is a couple there. I missed the PGA21 one because my subscription lapsed and I didn't bother renewing it for that month as I wasn't playing a lot.
They're all pretty soild for free, but try some of the games you assume you'll dislike. While you probably won't be wowed by the majority you're bound to find a handful that make the pain of paying to play online a little more palatable.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Remnant from the Ashes was a game I’d have never have bought if it weren’t free and it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year. I’d highly recommend it for those who haven’t played. If you like Souls-like games you’ll enjoy it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I actually subscribe for the free games. And maybe discounts. But I don't game online at all. And earlier every other month I'd get a game worth playing. I think before these last 6 months we got Control, FF remake, Days Gone etc in a short span of time.

Now it's just gone to pieces the last 6 months.

b82REZ

I actually subscribe for the free games. And maybe discounts. But I don't game online at all. And earlier every other month I'd get a game worth playing. I think before these last 6 months we got Control, FF remake, Days Gone etc in a short span of time.

Why don't you just subscribe for the months you want a game then?

The games were never what the service was designed for and were added as a sweetener because online play had always been free on PlayStation up to the release of the PS4.

Also the idea that the games are bad is completely subjective. I've gotten some titles I always wanted to try as well as a few free VR titles along the way. It just feels like complaining for complainings sake.

b82REZ

Remnant from the Ashes was a game I’d have never have bought if it weren’t free and it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year. I’d highly recommend it for those who haven’t played. If you like Souls-like games you’ll enjoy it.
Exactly.

People are becoming too entrenched in the idea that they must be given a AAA title every month. There has been some true hidden gems out this year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Exactly.

People are becoming too entrenched in the idea that they must be given a AAA title every month. There has been some true hidden gems out this year.
True, tbf the game that we got last month would have been good if you have mates to play with. Big if mind :lol:

Moby

Dick

I played Hollow Knight after getting it on PS Plus. They definitely had better stuff before.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The games were never what the service was designed for and were added as a sweetener because online play had always been free on PlayStation up to the release of the PS4.
PS Plus was a thing before they started charging for online, and 'free' games was literally the whole point of the subscription mate. It had been out for over 3 years before it was required to play online.

b82REZ

PS Plus was a thing before they started charging for online, and 'free' games was literally the whole point of the subscription mate. It had been out for over 3 years before it was required to play online.
It wasn't anyway like its current incarnation. You got free games, yes, but the price was lower and iirc gave some online benefits in some games.

I only briefly subscribed to it back then but it was certainly more than just free games.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It wasn't anyway like its current incarnation. You got free games, yes, but the price was lower and iirc gave some online benefits in some games.

I only briefly subscribed to it back then but it was certainly more than just free games.
It's okay you can just admit to being wrong, I know you must be pretty annoyed with yourself right now.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What a load of bullshit. It’s not even the complete version of Godfall!

caid

Also the idea that the games are bad is completely subjective
Its not though. Godfall has a score of 61 on metacritic. Its not a good game. Sure everyone has different tastes but quality exists too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just watched a bit of godfall on YouTube. Wow, is it somehow connected to God of war? Lots of similarities from what I've just seen.

amolbhatia50k

Why don't you just subscribe for the months you want a game then?

Also the idea that the games are bad is completely subjective. I've gotten some titles I always wanted to try as well as a few free VR titles along the way. It just feels like complaining for complainings sake.
What an odd view. A huge chunk of the gaming community believes in the core single player experience and aren't much a fan of multi-player. And when you use the whole 2 free games every month thing to promote PS plus and enticed everyone including those gamers to subscribe, then you should at least have one of the two being fit for a single player experience.

It's subjective for sure but if most call a month out for being crap especially for the single player gamers then it most likely is. In fact over the past 6 months most have considered it to be crap so while you're loving your VR titles the consensus speaks for itself. And like I said it was good before which is why I didn't subscribe for specific months.

amolbhatia50k

Wait the Free Godfall game is a demo? You must be joking?
Apparently they've given out three end game challenge modes rather than the actual game. I probably wouldn't have played it anyway given how it's rated but this is still amusing to say the least.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
That's some kind of bullshit, you can't be giving a demo away as part of ps+ games, a demo should be a must for every game anyway.