Gaming PlayStation Plus

Deery

Dreary
I haven’t played a PS plus game since Destruction Allstars, they always seem to be shit.

Ainu

That's some kind of bullshit, you can't be giving a demo away as part of ps+ games, a demo should be a must for every game anyway.
It's not even a demo, it sounds like it would the absolute worst way I can think of to experience a game. Endgame content and an option to instantly jump to max level with all skill points, without any of the build up to it. :houllier: I was actually looking forward to trying out this failed AAA game for free, but won't bother now. This is utterly pathetic stuff from Sony. This slot could've been taken by a much smaller title that was actually, you know, a game.

Smores

To be honest I'm more likely to give it a go now. It's supposed to be rubbish so I'm not going to sit through the full game but i may spend a few hours on it especially if it's co-op.

Ainu

I'm also worried about Mortal Shell explicitly showing as the PS4 version. There is a PS5 upgrade with 4k 60, better loading and Dualsense features which is free for anyone who owns the PS4 version. However, there is precedent with PS+ version blocking the path of a free upgrade (FFVII). So yeah, that would make this month even worse.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It's not even a demo, it sounds like it would the absolute worst way I can think of to experience a game. Endgame content and an option to instantly jump to max level with all skill points, without any of the build up to it. :houllier: I was actually looking forward to trying out this failed AAA game for free, but won't bother now. This is utterly pathetic stuff from Sony. This slot could've been taken by a much smaller title that was actually, you know, a game.
Yeah, it's no way to experience a game tbh, just makes no sense.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Maybe the developers know it's the only way anyone will ever get to experience end game content? As nobody would actually complete it otherwise?

Smart.

hobbers

Looks like Sony will be combining plus and now into a new service to try to rival gamepass.

evil_geko

They can't rival Gamepass if new games won't come day one on the service, like it wont. It will just be a different PS Now.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looks like Sony will be combining plus and now into a new service to try to rival gamepass.
Was a matter of time. Even without day 1 games it will still be huge if everything gets added 12 months later and they have all the backlog. Need some good 3rd party stuff but they have the relationships to do that better than xbox.

Could explain the lesser quality on ps+ this year if they want to launch it with a bunch of decent games up front.

Alock1

They can't rival Gamepass if new games won't come day one on the service, like it wont. It will just be a different PS Now.
It won't be as good as gamepass but will still be strong in its own right and can combat gamepass on numbers just by virtue of being on a platform that sells double.

Let's be fair, day 1 games on Gamepass has been amazing this last year or 2. But before that it was pretty infrequent and a nice bonus to what was otherwise just a good package of on demand games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was a matter of time. Even without day 1 games it will still be huge if everything gets added 12 months later and they have all the backlog. Need some good 3rd party stuff but they have the relationships to do that better than xbox.

Could explain the lesser quality on ps+ this year if they want to launch it with a bunch of decent games up front.
That would be great but I wonder how it would work. Would plus users have to pay more for such a service. Probably.

lilcurt

That would be great but I wonder how it would work. Would plus users have to pay more for such a service. Probably.
Of course they will. It wouldn't make sense for them to just give it to you for the existing cost.

The value of Plus has really fallen over the past few years. As has already been stated in the thread December's lineup is really poor. A demo version of a launch title... Wow

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Makes sense for them to consolidate it all together. With PS+, PS Now and the Free PS5 Games Collection thing it was all getting seriously bloated. I noted before that their marketing has been all over the place too with several rather underutilised social media accounts for all these things. Sorting this out will help everything be a little more organised.

Basically, great news for all us Sony fans.

Ainu

As feared, the free PS5 upgrade for Mortal Shell is blocked for the PS Plus version of the game. Meaning we're stuck with a lower resolution and, more importantly, 30fps instead of 60. I'm not even going to bother anymore. Together with the glorified demo of Godfall, this is just a month of screwing over customers that are paying for a sub.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
As feared, the free PS5 upgrade for Mortal Shell is blocked for the PS Plus version of the game. Meaning we're stuck with a lower resolution and, more importantly, 30fps instead of 60. I'm not even going to bother anymore. Together with the glorified demo of Godfall, this is just a month of screwing over customers that are paying for a sub.
Yeah it’s been absolute bollocks this month.

Minkaro

I’ve just added the Lego game to my library. Whether I play it or not remains to be seen.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is this the Jan games? Looks tragic. Who hasn't played Persona at this point.

b82REZ

Looks a good month. Already own Dirt 5, a good arcade racer. Makes good use of some of the Duel Sense features.

Always wanted to try Persona 5 Strikers. It's meant to be really good.

Sure people will still find a reason to moan though.

Alock1

Can't really moan about Dirt 5 considering it came out a year ago and is next gen. I thought it was pretty disappointing vs the other Dirt games when I tried it last year on GPU but still think it's decent enough PS+ option considering.

Deep Rock Galactic isn't exciting with it being an indie game, but it is really good fun co-op for people who have a few mates to play with - definitely recommend it. Wouldn't bother if you're on your own though.

Minkaro

I’ll give Dirt 5 and Persona 5 Strikers a go. The other one doesn’t have a 5 in it, so it’s dead to me.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Excited for deep rock galactic. I have a few mates to play it with so the fact they can all get it on ps plus means they'll likely all give it a go.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That’s actually a really good month. I only bought Strikers for £40 around six months ago. Couldn’t really get into it at the time but I have heard good things.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
2021 PS Plus games:

• GreedFall (January)
  • Maneater (January)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (January)
  • Concrete Genie (February)
  • Control: Ultimate Edition (February)
  • Destruction AllStars (February)
  • Farpoint (March)
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake (March)
  • Maquette (March)
  • Remnant: From the Ashes (March)
  • Days Gone (April)
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm (April)
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War (April)
  • Battlefield V (May)
  • Stranded Deep (May)
  • Wreckfest (May)
  • Operation: Tango (June)
  • Star Wars: Squadrons (June)
  • Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown (June)
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (July)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (July)
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds (July)
  • Hunter's Arena: Legends (August)
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (August)
  • Tennis World Tour 2 (August)
  • Hitman 2 (September)
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat (September)
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds (September)
  • Hell Let Loose (October)
  • Mortal Kombat X (October)
  • PGA Tour 2K21 (October)
  • First Class Trouble (November)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (November)
  • Knockout City (November)
  • The Persistence (November)
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (November)
  • Until You Fall (November)
  • Godfall: Challenger Edition (December)
  • LEGO DC Super-Villains (December)
  • Mortal Shell (December)
Definitely started fairly well, but a massive drop off in the second half of the year. Though I'd expect that to be the norm now until Sony release more information on their plans to combine Plus/Now (that said January is pretty decent).

Remnant: From the Ashes the best game on that list for me, would highly recommend if you're into your Soulsbourne games (I do rate FF7 higher but played that at launch).

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
2021 PS Plus games:

• GreedFall (January) - Played 10 minutes, was crap.
  • Maneater (January) - Got boring after 15 minutes.
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (January) - Really enjoyed this one. Good game.
  • Concrete Genie (February) - Was meh.
  • Control: Ultimate Edition (February) - Awful.
  • Destruction AllStars (February) - Tried to be the next viral game but it was bad.
  • Farpoint (March) - Don't even remember this one.
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake (March) - Couldn't get into it. Loads of boring corridors and samey shit.
  • Maquette (March) - Fun concept, liked it but don't think I finished it.
  • Remnant: From the Ashes (March) - Boring.
  • Days Gone (April) - Already played.
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm (April) - Got bored after half an hour. Nostalgia wore off quickly.
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War (April) - Didn't even attempt to play it. Sounded like a mobile game.
  • Battlefield V (May) - Had played before, meh game.
  • Stranded Deep (May) - Played about 20 minutes and got bored.
  • Wreckfest (May) - Rubbish.
  • Operation: Tango (June) - Actually liked this one. Played it with a mate.
  • Star Wars: Squadrons (June) - Didn't play it. Not interested.
  • Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown (June) - Wasn't interested in it.
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (July) - Played the opening part of the game. It was basic. I stood behind a guard for 5 minutes and he never even turned around, just did the same animation over and over.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (July) - Why.
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds (July) - Looked shite.
  • Hunter's Arena: Legends (August) - Mobile game.
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (August) - Mobile Game.
  • Tennis World Tour 2 (August) - Had awful reviews. Didn't play.
  • Hitman 2 (September) - Good game but I already own it.
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat (September) - Had already played, gave it a go for 10 minutes and got bored.
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds (September) - Looked crap.
  • Hell Let Loose (October) - No memory, probably as samey as the rest of these.
  • Mortal Kombat X (October) - MK games are pants now.
  • PGA Tour 2K21 (October) - Golf game.
  • First Class Trouble (November) - Required me to speak to random humans. No thank you :lol:
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (November) - Random name generator made this game.
  • Knockout City (November) - Played for 5 minutes. Basic.
  • The Persistence (November) - What even is this.
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (November) - Didn't play. Is Clementine still in it?
  • Until You Fall (November) - Was I in a coma for this month?
  • Godfall: Challenger Edition (December) - I'd rather eat glass and then shit the glass out and inject the shit into my eyes.
  • LEGO DC Super-Villains (December) - No.
  • Mortal Shell (December) - Stop.
Definitely started fairly well, but a massive drop off in the second half of the year. Though I'd expect that to be the norm now until Sony release more information on their plans to combine Plus/Now.

Remnant: From the Ashes the best game on that list for me, would highly recommend if you're into your Soulsbourne games (I do rate FF7 higher but played that at launch).
Thoughts above.