Gaming Playstation VR2 | 22nd Feb 2024: Testing compatibility with PC, hoping to release in 2024

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Meh I've hardly played so I think we'll all be in the same boat.

Besides it's not a difficult game at all, it mainly depends on communication and half a plan to win.
Pretty much. Can't win em all, it's good fun regardless. Plus there is co-op... I'm down for either.

padr81

Supports
Man City
so you'd recommend it afrocentricity?

Bojan11

Don’t bother. VR will be dead soon just like Kinect. By the start of next generation, Sony would have forgotten about VR and just forget it exists. @afrocentricity must have shares in Sony the way he keeps plugging it. Even @Alock1 was not this bad when it came to Kinect.

Companies can try and create different ways of playing games. But ultimately gamers will stick to controllers/mouse-keyboard rather than wearing devices or moving around your living room.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Don’t bother. VR will be dead soon just like Kinect. By the start of next generation, Sony would have forgotten about VR and just forget it exists. @afrocentricity must have shares in Sony the way he keeps plugging it. Even @Alock1 was not this bad when it came to Kinect.

Companies can try and create different ways of playing games. But ultimately gamers will stick to controllers/mouse-keyboard rather than wearing devices or moving around your living room.
I have a VR already and its great, have to admit the first couple of games I played were poor but then came Resi7, Farpoint, Arizona Sunshine and now I'm sold on it tbh.
I think Sony will actually stick with it, they've sold 3m already, which is more than both PC VR's combined

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Yeah don't bother having fun this generation because there might be some different thing next generation. Fecking gamer snowflakes.

I'm behind on psvr now but am looking forward to breaking it out again soon and catching up, once I sort out the room space.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah don't bother having fun this generation because there might be some different thing next generation. Fecking gamer snowflakes.

I'm behind on psvr now but am looking forward to breaking it out again soon and catching up, once I sort out the room space.
:lol: True. Vr is far more awesome than Kinect anyway, what a bizarre little rant that is.

@afrocentricity I haven't played it yet but of course I will do soon. Is the hype real then I take it? :drool:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tech simply isn’t quite there yet, played PSVR many times and it’s one of those things where I really really really want to like it but sadly it doesn’t live up to expectations. I’ve also had the rift on a very high end gaming rig and the results while a little better still leave me asking what exactly it brings to the game. It’s a lot like the extremely expensive 3D monitors you used to get, a load of talk and no real balls to back them up.

Also pisses the life out of me that they are able to market this as virtual reality when it really isn’t.

Ainu

I couldn't disagree more with those posts dismissing PSVR. It's everything I expected from VR. Playing Resident Evil 7 in VR is a horror experience unlike any I've ever head, no other medium even begins to compare. Having played Dirt Rally in VR it's nearly impossible to go back to a flat screen. VR in those games is like the thing you never realized they absolutely needed, but once you've experienced it you almost can't do without. It isn't a gimmick like motion controls, 3D tv or Kinect, it's a fundamental change in how to experience games.

The only thing holding it back is the relative lack of full, quality games. Technological improvements will help of course, but it's completely viable in its current state already in my opinion. People will mention the resolution, but I'd say its relative lack of screen door effect is a massive plus. I can only hope to continue to push it on the PS5.

afrocentricity

I grew up with Tron, Lawnmower Man, and Johnny Mnemonic.... The tech is ready imho. It makes what was shown in those movies look like shite. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

:lol: True. Vr is far more awesome than Kinect anyway, what a bizarre little rant that is.

@afrocentricity I haven't played it yet but of course I will do soon. Is the hype real then I take it? :drool:
Yes Lambs, yes it is. I asked because I remember the types of games you like. ;)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are there any two player games for this, as in, one machine, two VR glasses/devices in the same room?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's a shame. Is there any plans to introduce a second one to a single console? Two player games would be quite something.
The technology could no way handle it, 1 console outputting 2 displays, the resolution would most likely need to be halved again.

Ainu

It's not just that, it would be impossible in a practical sense. The headset is tracked using the PS camera, which has a relatively small active area. Both headsets would need to be in that area, so you'd have both players bumping into eachother. Even so, I suspect the software isn't capable of tracking two separate headsets on a single camera, nor does it allow two cameras on a single unit. Cable management would also be problematic. And that's before you consider a single PS4 having to render 4x960x1080 pixels at a guaranteed framerate of well above 60 fps. That's effectively rendering two full HD tv screens at 60+ fps.

afrocentricity

A lot of people have 2 PS4 and 2 PSVR for local multiplayer. I think I might do that depending on black Friday sales. Got quite a few multiplayer games now. @Fortitude PSVR has local coop with one person on headset and other people on the TV and additional controllers, it can be good fun but multiple headsets would be better no doubt

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The technology could no way handle it, 1 console outputting 2 displays, the resolution would most likely need to be halved again.
It's not just that, it would be impossible in a practical sense. The headset is tracked using the PS camera, which has a relatively small active area. Both headsets would need to be in that area, so you'd have both players bumping into eachother. Even so, I suspect the software isn't capable of tracking two separate headsets on a single camera, nor does it allow two cameras on a single unit. Cable management would also be problematic. And that's before you consider a single PS4 having to render 4x960x1080 pixels at a guaranteed framerate of well above 60 fps. That's effectively rendering two full HD tv screens at 60+ fps.
I haven't looked into the technology, just pondered on occasion whether to buy one. I did think the kit that comes with it did a lot of the work, but from the sound of things, I guess that's not the case.

2 people, both in the same room with VR on playing interactive games just sounds like such a laugh.
A lot of people have 2 PS4 and 2 PSVR for local multiplayer. I think I might do that depending on black Friday sales. Got quite a few multiplayer games now. @Fortitude PSVR has local coop with one person on headset and other people on the TV and additional controllers, it can be good fun but multiple headsets would be better no doubt
I've the two ps4's, but shelling out for the kit twice - it'd have to be a tremendous experience and guaranteed satisfaction for me to do that. Would definitely have to try it first.

Ainu

I haven't looked into the technology, just pondered on occasion whether to buy one. I did think the kit that comes with it did a lot of the work, but from the sound of things, I guess that's not the case.
You mean the extra processor unit? It's responsible for the output to the tv screen while the headset is active and does some additional tasks like managing cinematic mode when displaying 2D content on the headset. It doesn't help out the PS4 with rendering or anything though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Way too many companies have their fingers in the VR pie for it to die soon and it is being used for more than just gaming. See this study on use of it to try and help people face their fears. BBC article

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You mean the extra processor unit? It's responsible for the output to the tv screen while the headset is active and does some additional tasks like managing cinematic mode when displaying 2D content on the headset. It doesn't help out the PS4 with rendering or anything though.
Yeah. That surprises me. The expense comes from the goggle tech?

afrocentricity

I've the two ps4's, but shelling out for the kit twice - it'd have to be a tremendous experience and guaranteed satisfaction for me to do that. Would definitely have to try it first.
Best thing to do.
All I know is I'm having a blast with mine.

Firewall is fantastic fun.
I'll have to add ya. It's possible we've already shot eachother in the face at some point.

Ainu

The guys from Playstation Access (fantastic channel btw) did a video on them playing Astro Bot, looks absolutely brilliant! I'm getting this.

Woodzy

Picking one of these up later - now seems like the right to do it. Any must have games?

afrocentricity

Picking one of these up later - now seems like the right to do it. Any must have games?
Look here, and take notice of what they dropped off the list over time as there are some diamonds there too.

Special mention for Resident Evil 7, Astro Bot, Sparc, GT Sport and WipeOut.

Woodzy

Thanks guys. Just played Astro Bot for about 30 minutes. What an incredible experience!

Woodzy

Any tips on camera position for this? Getting lots of 'unreachable' areas in Super Hot. Placing the camera above my tv is pretty much out of the question for me unfortunately.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Any tips on camera position for this? Getting lots of 'unreachable' areas in Super Hot. Placing the camera above my tv is pretty much out of the question for me unfortunately.
It really needs to be higher, but it can work at a lower level.

Basically aim it upwards slightly, and move the actual camera more to it's left hand side (your right) than centre as that's the lense that sees you better.

Also, try standing closer than feels right, the sweetspot in some games is weird like that. Plus physically walking too much obviously throws it off.

Also, have you done all the set up correctly in the PS4 settings menu?

afrocentricity

Unreachable area is when you move the controllers outside of camera view. When you launch and you get the video of camera view, check your area, and move your camera so that it can see your controllers above your head and at your feet (camera mounted above head height looking down is usually the best way to do this).