Gaming Playstation VR2 | 22nd Feb 2024: Testing compatibility with PC, hoping to release in 2024

Drawfull

What worries me is the motion sickness/ headaches from it. Any thoughts on this?
You might get both, you might not. Personally years down the line I don't know anyone that suffered badly from any kind of VR-induced problems, but of course some people do. These days, most games have stuff in place to limit any bad effects you might get, like step-turning (instead of a smooth camera, and so on), and if you do suffer then these things can help.

Games that throw you upside down and all around can be disorienting and these tend to be the worst for causing motion sickness related probs. Avoid them at first maybe and stick to suff that puts you in a grounded situation with a first-person view and you should be golden (I don't include racing games in that necessarily).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Have you played VR before and suffered from it already? Or is there any reason to suspect you will?
judging from the fear of putting his hand in his pocket i’d guess any form of movement causes issues.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I just pre ordered the charging station. Probably something else that will gather dust but what the heck.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I just can't get my head around not allowing this to be wireless.

Plug it in for the best games and best graphic options. But due to nature of where VR is at commercially 90% of the games would be achievable standalone / wireless from the console.

It makes it slightly more complicated that not all games are compatible without the console but ultimately its a niche product for nerds who know this stuff. It hasn't had a negative affect on the Quest

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What worries me is the motion sickness/ headaches from it. Any thoughts on this?
I always thought this would only be an issue for people like my mum who can't go on a children's rollercoaster without being sick. Those of up who have grown up with games will have no problem.

Then I tried VR for the first time in a racing game. After spinning out a few times I almost threw up on the bloke operating the kit.

Games that allow free movement I struggle with after about 15 minutes and need a break. Lots of games you are relatively stationary or move by jumping and changing your pov - they're completely fine. But free movement games especially online fps are rough.

If you stick with it and increase your playtime by a few minutes each time you'll build resistance to it. Its put me off playing those sort of games though so I haven't been able to.

I have a mate who swears by some sort of naval watch that pressures the wrist and reduces sea sickness.

For what it's worth if you smoke as much weed as @afrocentricity then you'll probably be OK.

And to be clear, not all mums are like mine. B82rez mum has no problem whatever the ride.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
cooking on an alien world stoned listening to ambient music from spirit was just what the doctor ordered ;)
What I did last night! Holy shit what an experience :lol: I can’t remember being so totally immersed in a game.

Pretty early on in the game and had been mining gold and Albumen Pearls for hours, totally chilled and then hit a mission marker, took off and was immediately swamped by hostiles. It was so dramatic with the music going and my critical shield alerts. Thought I was going to have a coronary at one point :lol:

Really glad I’ve saved NMS till now, feels like the right time to play now as I have so much more time to lose myself in it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah it can be quite zen sometimes!

Once I'm set up on VR2 I'm definitely going to load it up again, maybe I'll drop into your game. Can't remember who it was that dropped into mine a few times
:lol:

Drawfull

I've not really followed the build up to this, are there any titles that look genuinely groundbreaking? Call of the Mountain looks OK, but nothing revolutionary based on the video above, although its haptics do sound interesting.

I watched a Eurogamer VR Corner video a while ago where Ian Higton had hands on time with this, and he was enthused, but that's about it. I have a Quest 2, an old Vive, and PSVR (revamped version) but mainly play Beat Saber on Quest these days.

I'm kinda tempted by the haptics but that's about it. One of the problems that VR seems to have right now is everything gets developed with the lowest common denominator in mind, i.e., Quest, but I guess Sony are going to throw money at it so full experiences are on the way?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I've not really followed the build up to this, are there any titles that look genuinely groundbreaking? Call of the Mountain looks OK, but nothing revolutionary based on the video above, although its haptics do sound interesting.

I watched a Eurogamer VR Corner video a while ago where Ian Higton had hands on time with this, and he was enthused, but that's about it. I have a Quest 2, an old Vive, and PSVR (revamped version) but mainly play Beat Saber on Quest these days.

I'm kinda tempted by the haptics but that's about it. One of the problems that VR seems to have right now is everything gets developed with the lowest common denominator in mind, i.e., Quest, but I guess Sony are going to throw money at it so full experiences are on the way?
Quest isn't the lowest common denominator, but other than that you are right to be a bit hesitant.

My personal problem isn't the power, it's the fact they are pricing them again in a way that makes it unviable for full pick up by developers.

Drawfull

Quest isn't the lowest common denominator, but other than that you are right to be a bit hesitant.

My personal problem isn't the power, it's the fact they are pricing them again in a way that makes it unviable for full pick up by developers.
in what way isn't it? It's by far the biggest selling, which means - like the cross gen shit we have now - that VR games are going to have it in mind when being developed.

Anyway, hesitancy aside I've ordered one with HCOTW. So I'll prob be extolling its virtues in a couple of weeks :lol:

Redlambs

in what way isn't it? It's by far the biggest selling, which means - like the cross gen shit we have now - that VR games are going to have it in mind when being developed.
Because that's not how it works. Quest, much like the Wii did back in the day, gets its own specific version. The graphics will always be behind normal games, as they basically have to not only render twice but they have to do it at much higher frame rates.

Anyway, hesitancy aside I've ordered one with HCOTW. So I'll prob be extolling its virtues in a couple of weeks :lol:
Nice! I keep getting tempted, but I've just done 2 new PC builds for my boys and I'm struggling to justify this at the moment. Especially as when I VR I use the Quest through my PC anyway. But no doubt I will jump in sooner than planned :lol:

Drawfull

Because that's not how it works. Quest, much like the Wii did back in the day, gets its own specific version. The graphics will always be behind normal games, as they basically have to not only render twice but they have to do it at much higher frame rates.

Nice! I keep getting tempted, but I've just done 2 new PC builds for my boys and I'm struggling to justify this at the moment. Especially as when I VR I use the Quest through my PC anyway. But no doubt I will jump in sooner than planned :lol:
What games have I missed? Seriously? VR. Outside of Alyx, what has there been that's truly worth the investment the past few years, outside of mods?

afrocentricity

Quest cant really do big or open worlds though due to the storage constraints. To be honest I get what he's saying, I just hope developers prioritize the pcvr/psvr versions and port to the Quest.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Time is dragging so much, really looking forward to taking delivery of this thing.

Looking forward to getting stuck into GT7, NMS, RE village. They’re all waiting ready.

That kayak thing looks ace too.

Redlambs

Quest cant really do big or open worlds though due to the storage constraints. To be honest I get what he's saying, I just hope developers prioritize the pcvr/psvr versions and port to the Quest.
Again, that's not how it works. I literally said that in my post that you quoted.

Besides, do you want to tell me what "big or open worlds" needs?

afrocentricity

Again, that's not how it works. I literally said that in my post that you quoted.

Besides, do you want to tell me what "big or open worlds" needs?
What are you arguing? That we'll get games like Skyrim (PS3), Fallout 4 (PS4) or NMS on Quest?

afrocentricity

You brought up open world, so I asked you a question. But to be fair, since you've named games:

What exactly is stopping any of those being on the Quest?
Storage space like I said lambs.... Let's be fair, if Skyrim or NMS could run on there it would be available on there, they are everywhere else ffs

What open world games are there? School me, I'm not gonna pretend to know it all

afrocentricity

You think Skyrim VR is about the storage space?
Not sure, storage, power, memory... you're missing my point. I think the other guy is right, developers may be tempted to create games for the Quest and port up (with those games being smaller in scale as a result), as opposed to create games for pcvr/psvr and port down (if possible).

Redlambs

The PS4 and PSVR have nothing on the Quest. Want to know why they didn't do Skyrim VR on it? It's not "storage space" it's about the cost of the converstion. Much like the only reason the PSVR got Skyrim was because they could work the last gen version (specifically the 360 one) for minimal costs and the little fact they got big money from Sony to do so.

You guys are arguing a point you don't understand. As I said before and will keep saying, it's not about power or all that. In fact the Quest 2 has done more for VR than the PSVR or this new one ever will. And I don't say that lightly as I hate this Meta shit, but at the end of the day you are looking at it all wrong. The problem is NOT the power or the device, it's the publishers and the will to actually push this more. Sony have done brilliantly there, Quest pushed it on too, but the problem is the uptake in gamers.

Not sure, storage, power, memory... you're missing my point. I think the other guy is right, developers may be tempted to create games for the Quest and port up (with those games being smaller in scale as a result), as opposed to create games for pcvr/psvr and port down (if possible).
The Quest is a better environment to develop for than the PSVR. I know that for a fact. You push me, but all you can say is "the other guy is right". I'm not missing your point my friend, you just keep overlooking mine. Again like people said about the Wii holding gaming back, that's not how it worked.

I get it you've invested, and if it makes you feel any better I do like the look of the PSVR2 from the people who have actually developed and used it. It's going to be great. But it's not and never will be the be all, you guys are looking in all the wrong places as to why.

But what do I know. I'm not even arguing here, I'm just stating facts that the Quest isn't the "lowest common denominator" in the realm of VR. So far, there's been no real argument against what I've said.

afrocentricity

The PS4 and PSVR have nothing on the Quest. Want to know why they didn't do Skyrim VR on it? It's not "storage space" it's about the cost of the converstion. Much like the only reason the PSVR got Skyrim was because they could work the last gen version (specifically the 360 one) for minimal costs and the little fact they got big money from Sony to do so.

You guys are arguing a point you don't understand. As I said before and will keep saying, it's not about power or all that. In fact the Quest 2 has done more for VR than the PSVR or this new one ever will. And I don't say that lightly as I hate this Meta shit, but at the end of the day you are looking at it all wrong. The problem is NOT the power or the device, it's the publishers and the will to actually push this more. Sony have done brilliantly there, Quest pushed it on too, but the problem is the uptake in gamers.

The Quest is a better environment to develop for than the PSVR. I know that for a fact. You push me, but all you can say is "the other guy is right". I'm not missing your point my friend, you just keep overlooking mine. Again like people said about the Wii holding gaming back, that's not how it worked.

I get it you've invested, and if it makes you feel any better I do like the look of the PSVR2 from the people who have actually developed and used it. It's going to be great. But it's not and never will be the be all, you guys are looking in all the wrong places as to why.

But what do I know. I'm not even arguing here, I'm just stating facts that the Quest isn't the "lowest common denominator" in the realm of VR. So far, there's been no real argument against what I've said.
You've gone a bit fanboy here lambs, this is the PSVR thread. You are the only person I've heard arguing that a mobile snapdragon chipset can play the same games that PC and PS are getting, and Quest's library speaks for itself. I asked for the open world games all you had to do was post them :lol:

Redlambs

You've gone a bit fanboy here lambs, this is the PSVR thread. You are the only person I've heard arguing that a mobile snapdragon chipset can play the same games that PC and PS are getting, and Quest's library speaks for itself. I asked for the open world games all you had to do was post them :lol:
"the PC and PS" shows what you know.

I've asked fair questions and made fair points. Irony in calling me a fanboy and yet you can't answer me all because I don't see the PSVR2 as the be all.

But feel free to prove anything I've said wrong. I'll wait.

afrocentricity

"the PC and PS" shows what you know.

I've asked fair questions and made fair points. Irony in calling me a fanboy and yet you can't answer me all because I don't see the PSVR2 as the be all.

But feel free to prove anything I've said wrong. I'll wait.

afrocentricity

No but I'm glad the article is out as I think Sony's promo has not been good enough so far...

afrocentricity

Im not sure you are going to be able to single handily keep this thing afloat
Let's just wait and see? Always a rush to call something a flop before it's even out... Who knows? Maybe it will be, maybe it won't

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I just can't get my head around not allowing this to be wireless.

Plug it in for the best games and best graphic options. But due to nature of where VR is at commercially 90% of the games would be achievable standalone / wireless from the console.

It makes it slightly more complicated that not all games are compatible without the console but ultimately its a niche product for nerds who know this stuff. It hasn't had a negative affect on the Quest
That's why I now only used my Quest2 and not my PSVR the wireless option is a much better experience. I will connect it via USB for some SteamVR games but prefer not to have to.

Redlambs

I mean Sony pissed off a lot of potentional VR developers with how they handled the AIM controller too. Just like MS spent a whole lot more money developing the Kinect 2 and convincing devs to support it before dumping them all...

But hey, they can't surely not fully support another headset right?

That's why I now only used my Quest2 and not my PSVR the wireless option is a much better experience. I will connect it via USB for some SteamVR games but prefer not to have to.
Apparently from people who know what they are talking about, the Quest 2 is the lowest common denominator and will hold this back. Nothing to do with the wire nor (rather ironically) the already out of date hardware behind it.

Dave_MUFC

I pre ordered the Horizon pack a few days ago, but I'll most likely be cancelling it before it ships out if Sony aren't putting any showcases out for the headset or games beforehand, that would actually wow me.

Taking into account everything, the cost being higher than I paid for the console, only a handful of actual games on release, only locked into the console system itself etc. I think I can wait a few months and see how it pans out, and try and get one used at a slightly better price.

I think it's because one thing I enjoyed with the Quest was messing around with experiences, rather than serious games. Those silly social rooms, tours of historical places etc.
And right now it just doesn't look like the PSVR2 will have that stuff.