Gaming Playstation VR2 | 22nd Feb 2024: Testing compatibility with PC, hoping to release in 2024

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I mean Sony pissed off a lot of potentional VR developers with how they handled the AIM controller too. Just like MS spent a whole lot more money developing the Kinect 2 and convincing devs to support it before dumping them all...

But hey, they can't surely not fully support another headset right?

Apparently from people who know what they are talking about, the Quest 2 is the lowest common denominator and will hold this back. Nothing to do with the wire nor (rather ironically) the already out of date hardware behind it.
What hardware is already out of date dude?

The wire I’m completely at ease with, it means the power of the hosting machine can be used to give a better experience.

Agree with experiences being as good as, if not better than out and out games. I loved the Apollo moon landing experience on psvr1.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I pre ordered the Horizon pack a few days ago, but I'll most likely be cancelling it before it ships out if Sony aren't putting any showcases out for the headset or games beforehand, that would actually wow me.

Taking into account everything, the cost being higher than I paid for the console, only a handful of actual games on release, only locked into the console system itself etc. I think I can wait a few months and see how it pans out, and try and get one used at a slightly better price.

I think it's because one thing I enjoyed with the Quest was messing around with experiences, rather than serious games. Those silly social rooms, tours of historical places etc.
And right now it just doesn't look like the PSVR2 will have that stuff.
I think the wait and see approach is good right now, availability is good.

I think those experimental experiences will be on PSVR2 though as it's another avenue for them to make money and by most accounts it's pretty easy to develop for it. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't other than exclusivity.

This is the other side of the coin, I'm worried that that's all we'll get (but not overly as I have faith they'll deliver as there were a good amount of 1st party or exclusives for PSVR) which seems to have wound up lambs... and others like yourself are worried we won't even get them.

PlayStation need to show their cards I think.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think the wait and see approach is good right now, availability is good.

I think those experimental experiences will be on PSVR2 though as it's another avenue for them to make money and by most accounts it's pretty easy to develop for it. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't other than exclusivity.

This is the other side of the coin, I'm worried that that's all we'll get (but not overly as I have faith they'll deliver as there were a good amount of 1st party or exclusives for PSVR) which seems to have wound up lambs... and others like yourself are worried we won't even get them.

PlayStation need to show their cards I think.
:lol:

You can choose to learn something, or you can choose to be a cheeky little shit as always afro. But I'll always have time for you ;)

Redlambs

What hardware is already out of date dude?

The wire I’m completely at ease with, it means the power of the hosting machine can be used to give a better experience.

Agree with experiences being as good as, if not better than out and out games. I loved the Apollo moon landing experience on psvr1.
You are actually on my side here. Because if a wire is the be all and end all for power, them the Quest2 is actually not the lowest common denominator. The PSVR2 will be that. For about a day until it gets cracked anyway.

(ps...the console hardware for the PS5/X were out of date even before release. That is always the way, it was a light hearted joke ;))

Volumiza

You are actually on my side here. Because if a wire is the be all and end all for power, them the Quest2 is actually not the lowest common denominator. The PSVR2 will be that. For about a day until it gets cracked anyway.

(ps...the console hardware for the PS5/X were out of date even before release. That is always the way, it was a light hearted joke ;))
I’m on everyone’s side dude :)

But the Quest 2, if not tethered, definitely has its limits and will be the LCD. Not that that matters as such, we’ve got a Q2 at home and it’s a good bit of kit but untethered, it won’t be as capable as the PSVR2. Again, not something that bothers me but even running through the outdated PS5, the PSVR2 will still be leagues ahead of the Quest, I’m expecting it to ha anyway. Anyway, not even an argument, both bits of kit will be valid and have their own audience. And consoles are always trailing PC’s so that’s accepted.

I have a suspicion though that the psvr2 will also be compatible with PS6. Sony seems to have made a very nicely spec’d vanilla headset of sorts, that’s my hope anyway. Those OLED screens will look delish!

My son tethers his Q2 to play Skyrim on his PC.

Drawfull

I pre ordered the Horizon pack a few days ago, but I'll most likely be cancelling it before it ships out if Sony aren't putting any showcases out for the headset or games beforehand, that would actually wow me.

Taking into account everything, the cost being higher than I paid for the console, only a handful of actual games on release, only locked into the console system itself etc. I think I can wait a few months and see how it pans out, and try and get one used at a slightly better price.

I think it's because one thing I enjoyed with the Quest was messing around with experiences, rather than serious games. Those silly social rooms, tours of historical places etc.
And right now it just doesn't look like the PSVR2 will have that stuff.
I'm in a similar boat, but gonna give it til a few days before launch before pulling the plug. The haptic side excites me, but unlike with PSVR where there were loads of must-buy launch titles when I went on the store the other day to pick up a bunch there was nothing outside of Horizon (I got he bundle, too) and the Supermassive coaster that really caught me eye.

I'm not too fussed on the price; it's only a little more than the Quest 2 after all now, but the tether is bugging me (I haven't used tethered Vr since PSVR as I bought the wireless adpater for my OG Vive, and have been Quest/Quest 2 for years).

Redlambs

I’m on everyone’s side dude :)

But the Quest 2, if not tethered, definitely has its limits and will be the LCD. Not that that matters as such, we’ve got a Q2 at home and it’s a good bit of kit but untethered, it won’t be as capable as the PSVR2. Again, not something that bothers me but even running through the outdated PS5, the PSVR2 will still be leagues ahead of the Quest, I’m expecting it to ha anyway. Anyway, not even an argument, both bits of kit will be valid and have their own audience. And consoles are always trailing PC’s so that’s accepted.

I have a suspicion though that the psvr2 will also be compatible with PS6. Sony seems to have made a very nicely spec’d vanilla headset of sorts, that’s my hope anyway. Those OLED screens will look delish!

My son tethers his Q2 to play Skyrim on his PC.
And as I've explained to these people, the Quest 2 untethered has it's own versions of games. It's not holding back anything. It's the same as when people were banging on about the Wii holding back that generations of gaming and the whole "open world" nonsense.

No, just no.

What is holding back VR is not only the uptake in gamers but also the uptake in developers and more importantly how they embrace the technology. And that isn't helped by Sony first pushing then backing away from, now pushing again. I know the PSVR2 is a great bit of kit, I know that the people developing it have great plans for it, but I also know (just as you all saw) how wishy washy they were with the PSVR and stuff like the move and aim.

I'm in a similar boat, but gonna give it til a few days before launch before pulling the plug. The haptic side excites me, but unlike with PSVR where there were loads of must-buy launch titles when I went on the store the other day to pick up a bunch there was nothing outside of Horizon (I got he bundle, too) and the Supermassive coaster that really caught me eye.

I'm not too fussed on the price; it's only a little more than the Quest 2 after all now, but the tether is bugging me (I haven't used tethered Vr since PSVR as I bought the wireless adpater for my OG Vive, and have been Quest/Quest 2 for years).
VR will move forward, and this is another step. You clearly like VR and want it to go in the way we think it should, and hopefully it does and it's absolutely brilliant. I was never trying to tell you it wont get there, I was merely pointing out that "the lowest common denominator" isn't the likes of the quest making VR more popular despite it's limitations, it's the support these devices will get. After all, it's still the best room scale VR you can mass market (the Pico won't catch on).

The PSVR2 will be left behind in the specs in no time, but that doesn't matter. What matters is if Sony can convince even more people like us to jump in and push this further.

Drawfull

And as I've explained to these people, the Quest 2 untethered has it's own versions of games. It's not holding back anything. It's the same as when people were banging on about the Wii holding back that generations of gaming and the whole "open world" nonsense.

No, just no.

What is holding back VR is not only the uptake in gamers but also the uptake in developers and more importantly how they embrace the technology. And that isn't helped by Sony first pushing then backing away from, now pushing again. I know the PSVR2 is a great bit of kit, I know that the people developing it have great plans for it, but I also know (just as you all saw) how wishy washy they were with the PSVR and stuff like the move and aim.

VR will move forward, and this is another step. You clearly like VR and want it to go in the way we think it should, and hopefully it does and it's absolutely brilliant. I was never trying to tell you it wont get there, I was merely pointing out that "the lowest common denominator" isn't the likes of the quest making VR more popular despite it's limitations, it's the support these devices will get. After all, it's still the best room scale VR you can mass market (the Pico won't catch on).

The PSVR2 will be left behind in the specs in no time, but that doesn't matter. What matters is if Sony can convince even more people like us to jump in and push this further.
I'd forgotten about that post, and didn't articulate what I meant very well. I do think/want VR will/to succeed, and the Quests have been great; but what was needed was a similarly mass appeal headset with the power to push the medium without the PC requirement (it's not helped that actually now you can get into PCVR quite cheaply, but I think the OMG 1500 QUID PC NEEDED has stuck too hard). There are some great things on Quest, but things are not being ported to it in a timely manner whether that's through spec limits or licencing or whatever.

If I'm repeating myself, I apologise, but Beat Saber is still being bundled 4 or god knows how many years after its release. We should have new stuff to bundle along with it don't you think?

I'm all tangents today, but I still can't buy (easily) a proper form of locomotion platform which I would buy in a heartbeat. Or real haptic gloves. I appreciate these things are kinda out there and of course niche, but for me they're also essential (which is why PSVR2 haptics have piqued me on it) to VR's longer term success and it's been years.

So yes, hopefully the PSVR2 will give the scene another little fillip (I can't believe PSVR has less than 1% market share, regardless of Quest's success - they must be bundling a lot of shite into the numbers), but I was genuinely surprised at the launch line up's lack of quality games as opposed to experiences.

Volumiza

No, just no.

The psvr1 suffered with timing really, meaning Sony released a very suboptimal bit of kit that may have been ok at inception but come the time it was released was already lagging behind. I still had great fun on it but it was very humbling moving from that to playing on my sons quest 2. I think they pulled back because it was evident that psvr1 was not going to be the solution.

VR is the future, hopefully Sony and the VR industry as a whole hits that sweet spot soon.

Redlambs

I'd forgotten about that post, and didn't articulate what I meant very well. I do think/want VR will/to succeed, and the Quests have been great; but what was needed was a similarly mass appeal headset with the power to push the medium without the PC requirement (it's not helped that actually now you can get into PCVR quite cheaply, but I think the OMG 1500 QUID PC NEEDED has stuck too hard). There are some great things on Quest, but things are not being ported to it in a timely manner whether that's through spec limits or licencing or whatever.

If I'm repeating myself, I apologise, but Beat Saber is still being bundled 4 or god knows how many years after its release. We should have new stuff to bundle along with it don't you think?

I'm all tangents today, but I still can't buy (easily) a proper form of locomotion platform which I would buy in a heartbeat. Or real haptic gloves. I appreciate these things are kinda out there and of course niche, but for me they're also essential (which is why PSVR2 haptics have piqued me on it) to VR's longer term success and it's been years.

So yes, hopefully the PSVR2 will give the scene another little fillip (I can't believe PSVR has less than 1% market share, regardless of Quest's success - they must be bundling a lot of shite into the numbers), but I was genuinely surprised at the launch line up's lack of quality games as opposed to experiences.
The psvr1 suffered with timing really, meaning Sony released a very suboptimal bit of kit that may have been ok at inception but come the time it was released was already lagging behind. I still had great fun on it but it was very humbling moving from that to playing on my sons quest 2. I think they pulled back because it was evident that psvr1 was not going to be the solution.

VR is the future, hopefully Sony and the VR industry as a whole hits that sweet spot soon.
You guys both overestimate and underestimate the reality here.

I will say it once again, the issue is NOT the power or the bollocks "specs" of the headset, the continued question is getting both the developers to support the games and experiences and the people to take them up.

Volumiza

You guys both overestimate and underestimate the reality here.

I will say it once again, the issue is NOT the power or the bollocks "specs" of the headset, the continued question is getting both the developers to support the games and experiences and the people to take them up.
I totally understand that and agree, there are multiple factors in making sure VR is a success. From all accounts Sony are in it for the long haul now. Time will tell.

Redlambs

I totally understand that and agree, there are multiple factors in making sure VR is a success. From all accounts Sony are in it for the long haul now. Time will tell.
It's not "from all accounts" though. That's the issue. They have already pissed off developers, and now the new tech isn't even room scale.

I'm not here to downplay it, as I love VR. But let's not do what twitter does and argue in the face of actual knowledge. Am I glad there's a VR2? Of course! Do I think it's impressive tech? No. The reason I say no, is that it will have the exact problem the PSVR had. It's not all that powerful and Sony won't be pushing it enough and that's because the real next wave has already moved on.

This isn't "next gen" VR. Consider it a PSVR pro.

Volumiza

This isn't "next gen" VR. Consider it a PSVR pro.
For many of us, it will feel like next gen VR and thats enough surely?

And judging by footage and reviews, again, using the power of the console it will feel powerful, certainly for people like myself and is it really that bad a piece of tech? If so, In comparison to what?

Last edited:

Redlambs

For many of us, it will feel like next gen VR and thats enough surely?

And judging by footage and reviews, again, it will feel powerful and is it really that bad a piece of tech? If so, In comparison to what?
Compared to the PSVR? yes. But again, as I said earlier in the thread, it's only going to be as good as the PS5 can do with VR. Again, remember you have to double the rendering then at least third the hz on top of that.

It's not a bad piece of tech at all. Again I'll get it, It's just not really any kind of big move forward. What will really matter is what the developers do with it, and if Sony inspire them with enough confidence to trust them again.

Volumiza

Compared to the PSVR? yes. But again, as I said earlier in the thread, it's only going to be as good as the PS5 can do with VR. Again, remember you have to double the rendering then at least third the hz on top of that.

It's not a bad piece of tech at all. Again I'll get it, It's just not really any kind of big move forward. What will really matter is what the developers do with it, and if Sony inspire them with enough confidence to trust them again.
Is there anything to suggest the ps5 can’t handle VR well? The eye tracking alone will be a big positive, if utilised properly.

Everything I’ve read points to the contrary and all / most hands on reviews have been very positive.

It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out but I do agree the success of psvr2 and VR in genera depends on the support it gets from devs. Unlike some, i think it has a fairly strong list of titles for release.

Redlambs

Is there anything to suggest the ps5 can’t handle VR well?

Everything I’ve read points to the contrary and all / most hands on reviews have been very positive.

It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out but I do agree the success of psvr2 and VR in genera depends on the support it gets from devs.
It can and it will! But then anything can do VR.

But for VR to work in the way it's being currently implemented, it has to be rendered twice. So you know all this talk of HD or 4K? Imagine that being doubled. You know all the talk of 30 or 60fps? Well VR has to at least be at 90fps at a bare minimum.

So long story short, no matter the power of the system the VR is running on, it will be at least half the visual fidelity capable. So in another way of saying this, the PSVR version of Skyrim (on a PS4 pro) runs the XB360 version of the game with no anti-aliasing and a much smaller resolution window (480p if you are lucky). As the console fanboys on here will now attest to, doubling the FPS means a lot, imagine it having to be even higher.

VR will live and die on more than graphics. It will rely on innovation and the will of developers. The problem the PSVR2 faces is that for all this talk of "finger tracking" and all that, now it's revealed it's now not much more advanced that anything we've seen. Add into that the fact they back out of things they pushed originally. Also they actually are being sketchy at best to developers as the dev suite available right now isn't complete with not much support.

BTW games like Beat Saber, Super hot, Arizona Sunshine are way better on the Quest than the PSVR (including visual fidelity), let alone having RE4 in full VR. Just thought @Drawfull and @afrocentricity might have missed those.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

afrocentricity

Interesting they felt the need to respond.
Probably because of the negative sentiment it was generating... I say generating but it was already there, a lot of folks still want PSVR and VR to fail it seems...

afrocentricity

Want? Why?

Also, they ignore a lot worse than this. They seem to have a thing for that particular journalist.

I guess we shall see.
Apparently it's the second time they've had to issue a correction on something that reporter has put out.

As to why? Dunno mate but one of the reasons I see is because it apparently diverts funds from normal games...

Redlambs

Apparently it's the second time they've had to issue a correction on something that reporter has put out.

As to why? Dunno mate but one of the reasons I see is because it apparently diverts funds from normal games...
Yeah those people are idiots.

But that's not the point here, the point is that it's interesting Sony responds to this guy more than anyone else. I'm not saying I agree with him btw, nor do I know anything about production numbers...but I do know some people previously keen on developing for it are not so keen at the moment. That doesn't mean it's a flop or anything like that, it just shows there's some instability already.

Which circles back around to my original point. The success of VR isn't about the "power" or all that, it's about developers supporting and people buying into it. Both cant and wont happen without full support from the hardware guys. And that support is already sketchy in terms of full release and future plans. It's odd to say the least, though again, Sony do have form there.

afrocentricity

Yeah those people are idiots.

But that's not the point here, the point is that it's interesting Sony responds to this guy more than anyone else. I'm not saying I agree with him btw, nor do I know anything about production numbers...but I do know some people previously keen on developing for it are not so keen at the moment. That doesn't mean it's a flop or anything like that, it just shows there's some instability already.

Which circles back around to my original point. The success of VR isn't about the "power" or all that, it's about developers supporting and people buying into it. Both cant and wont happen without full support from the hardware guys. And that support is already sketchy in terms of full release and future plans. It's odd to say the least, though again, Sony do have form there.
I can't wait to get my hands on it regardless. PSVR was great as far as I'm concerned and this is levels beyond it. Mainstream or not I'm expecting 100s (if not 1000s) of hours of playtime over the next few years :drool:

Redlambs

I can't wait to get my hands on it regardless. PSVR was great as far as I'm concerned and this is levels beyond it. Mainstream or not I'm expecting 100s (if not 1000s) of hours of playtime over the next few years :drool:
Me too.

I've still not got it preordered, but I will get it at some point. There's just no way I can't!

Also, I still am pissed about the use of the Aim. That was way more interesting a device that anything else in VR, including these new controllers. fecking dickheads totally misused it and also cost us some seriously cool VR versions of games (borderlands 2 was a test for more and even then, they backed out of it last minute and had to re-add it in a patch thanks to Sony fecking around).

Volumiza

It can and it will! But then anything can do VR.

But for VR to work in the way it's being currently implemented, it has to be rendered twice. So you know all this talk of HD or 4K? Imagine that being doubled. You know all the talk of 30 or 60fps? Well VR has to at least be at 90fps at a bare minimum.

So long story short, no matter the power of the system the VR is running on, it will be at least half the visual fidelity capable. So in another way of saying this, the PSVR version of Skyrim (on a PS4 pro) runs the XB360 version of the game with no anti-aliasing and a much smaller resolution window (480p if you are lucky). As the console fanboys on here will now attest to, doubling the FPS means a lot, imagine it having to be even higher.

VR will live and die on more than graphics. It will rely on innovation and the will of developers. The problem the PSVR2 faces is that for all this talk of "finger tracking" and all that, now it's revealed it's now not much more advanced that anything we've seen. Add into that the fact they back out of things they pushed originally. Also they actually are being sketchy at best to developers as the dev suite available right now isn't complete with not much support.

BTW games like Beat Saber, Super hot, Arizona Sunshine are way better on the Quest than the PSVR (including visual fidelity), let alone having RE4 in full VR. Just thought @Drawfull and @afrocentricity might have missed those.
I understand all that and agree. That being said … I’m excited as feck about getting it.

For me, I still got enjoyment out of my psvr1 so I’m certain I’ll enjoy this. GT7, Resi, NMS and Walking Dead are all great to start with and should give a good few months of enjoyment between them.

Of course we all hope VR is supported across all platforms. I’m even contemplating building a PC specifically for VR too.

Redlambs

I understand all that and agree. That being said … I’m excited as feck about getting it.

For me, I still got enjoyment out of my psvr1 so I’m certain I’ll enjoy this. GT7, Resi, NMS and Walking Dead are all great to start with and should give a good few months of enjoyment between them.

Of course we all hope VR is supported across all platforms. I’m even contemplating building a PC specifically for VR too.
Me too, just not quite enough to pre order. They'll be around when I want one. For now I still use the PSVR (and aim!) perhaps even more so than my Quest, though the latter has got some airtime lately with the awesome mod release for Half Life 2 :drool:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If they only released Wipeout on Quest I would have sold my PSVR. I should still do really but I don't want to be without that game it's an awesome rush.

I know there are similarly themed ones available to the Quest but Wipeout will always be the best.

Volumiza

Me too, just not quite enough to pre order. They'll be around when I want one. For now I still use the PSVR (and aim!) perhaps even more so than my Quest, though the latter has got some airtime lately with the awesome mod release for Half Life 2 :drool:
I haven’t tried the HL mods yet on my sons Quest. Played HL Adys and really enjoyed that though.

afrocentricity

If they only released Wipeout on Quest I would have sold my PSVR. I should still do really but I don't want to be without that game it's an awesome rush.

I know there are similarly themed ones available to the Quest but Wipeout will always be the best.
Hopefully there's a sequel as playing that game in VR, the speed, the environments, the multiplayer... It felt like the way it was always meant to be.

Playing Wipeout in the 90s on the PS1, if someone said to me "one day you'll be in the game bro" I'd have asked for some of what they were smoking...

Redlambs

I could tell you guys a story or two about the development of Wipeout, "HD" and then the VR version if we ever met down the pub :lol:

But yeah, great games. Fzero and Bullfrog's attempt (hi-octane) spawned such a great sub-genre.

atkar83

I preordered the VR2 (been wanting to get into VR since I tried the Samsung Gear VR, but passed on PSVR & OQ2 due to their power limitations since I don't have a proper PC), along with Horizon and now GT7 (its on sale today if anyone is planning on buying it). Along with the Kayak game that should keep me busy for the next little while. I'll only be able to play it when the kids are sleeping anyway. I'm too scared to try any of the REs or horror games, just not for me.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Shut up you sad little clown.

Besides, it's not as if any of the likes of you or Alock ever showed up to the discord to play games and maybe get a story or two.
Can anyone get a discord invite or is it cool kids only?

Dave_MUFC

I think the main thing making me wait and see is that I've got an Xbox with game pass, PS5 with Plus Premium, and recently bought a Steam Deck, so I've got about 200 games in the backlog to play (including God of War Ragnarok and Forbidden West)!

Along with games like Hogwarts Legacy, Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Deliver Us Mars, and Jedi Survivor out of the next couple of months, I'm already quite swamped for time.