PL's most overrated and underrated player resp.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Overrated: Maguire.
Underrated: Shelvey.

SungSam7

Overrated : Hazard. Guy is good without a doubt but is he really up there among the best? Shows up for a season and then hides for 2.

Underrated : Giroud. I am astonished he wasn't used more under AW, but in recent years AW seems to of gone senile.

redmeister

I must have missed all those posts where everyone was saying how good Jordan Henderson is!

Canagel

Overrated: Hazard, Rashford, Matic, Alli, Stones, Kane, Ederson
Underrated: D Silva, Zaha, Doucoure, N Pope

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

Premier League

Overrated:
Dele Alli

He isn't a some incredible player having a dip. He is a fairly athletic player with pretty average technique who benefits from playing next to Kane and Eriksen.

Underrated: David Silva

I think he is miles better than De Bruyne and probably the best player Man City have. No one would say he is a bad player but he doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves.

Man Utd

Overrated:
Juan Mata

I hate to say it but I think his personality and being a handsome little Spanish attacking midfielder contributes a lot to people's perception. If an Englishman called John Matty put in the exact same performances, they wouldn't be viewed nearly as highly.

Underrated: Lukaku and Ashley Young

Young - Since the tail end of Van Gaal's first season his average performance levels have far outweighed his reputation.

Lukaku - I don't feel the need to explain this. People are weird.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Overrated: Ederson
Underrated: Sterling

Sterling with 18 goals and 17 assists this season didn't make the PFA team of the year and was beaten to young player of the year by Sane. I'd say that qualifies him as underrated.

Danny Rose is vastly overrated too.

RedDevil@84

These threads always confuse me. Has anyone got any examples of players who are rated just right?
Fellaini. Rated as mostly ineffective, with some uses here and there.
Matic. Rated as mostly effective, with some dips here and there.
Harry Kane. Rated as a snowflake. He is one :D

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Overrated : Hazard. Guy is good without a doubt but is he really up there among the best? Shows up for a season and then hides for 2.

Underrated : Giroud. I am astonished he wasn't used more under AW, but in recent years AW seems to of gone senile.
Seriously Giroud? He was first team under Wenger for way too long and cost us the league title in 15/16 when he decided to go 15 games without a goal at the business end of the season. Strictly a squad player no way is he starting quality at any top 4 club.

OverratedOpinion

Fellaini. Rated as mostly ineffective, with some uses here and there.
Matic. Rated as mostly effective, with some dips here and there.
Harry Kane. Rated as a snowflake. He is one :D
Harry Kane is actually very underrated. He doesn't get credit for at least 142 of the goals he's scored this season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Overrated: Juan Mata

I hate to say it but I think his personality and being a handsome little Spanish attacking midfielder contributes a lot to people's perception. If an Englishman called John Matty put in the exact same performances, they wouldn't be viewed nearly as highly.
You think Mata would be rated lower if he was English...?

Honestly mate, if an English player was as good as Mata has been since joining the PL, he'd be an undroppable megastar.

OverratedOpinion

You think Mata would be rated lower if he was English...?

Honestly mate, if an English player was as good as Mata has been since joining the PL, he'd be an undroppable megastar.
I do, the same way I think that if someone put in the performances that Shelvey does and they were Brazilian they would be rated higher.

Either way English, Scottish. Doesn't matter, an unglamorous country basically. So much of people's perception of Mata is based on the stereotype that players like Silva, Iniesta, Isco and others are responsible for.

RedDevil@84

If an Englishman called John Matty put in the exact same performances, they wouldn't be viewed nearly as highly.
Incorrect. If he were English, media would have been writing long articles about his every pass, even if it came once in 5 matches. You underestimate the overrating English players get on regular basis.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When Coutinho was in the PL, I thought he was vastly overrated. Odd moment of magic but I don't think he bossed enough games for all the hype he got. He was never their best player.

Victor Moses is underrated. Very functional player, does what is expected of the position and works extremely hard.

OverratedOpinion

Incorrect. If he were English, media would have been writing long articles about his every pass, even if it came once in 5 matches. You underestimate the overrating English players get on regular basis.
Paul Scholes was incredibly underrated until he was about 32. Either way, missing the point of what I was saying.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dunno, I'd say most supposedly underrated and overrated players are appropriately rated, by and large, plus, how you rate someone does change with time and performance on a spectrum, of sorts - and most ratings are retroactively adjusted. Also, do many unironically rate the likes of Henderson, apart from Liverpool fans?

That aside, Firmino is fairly underrated for players in the upper tier — though to be fair, over time, more and more people are at least acknowledging the fact that Liverpool's attack is predicated on more than just Klopp's system and Salah having a historic season, and he is increasingly getting the acclaim he thoroughly deserves. Tremendous work-ethic, 26 goals in all competitions - a healthy return for someone whose games doesn't hinge on goalscoring, and 15 assists:
From a lower tier, Groß is also underrated.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's top amoungst all the positive stats for Chelsea this season, even in 15/16 he was like 7th in the key chances created chart.

If this is him 'hiding' then you have him in the wrong category.

Moonred

Overrated - Players who i think gets rated more than they deserve in my eyes. Why? Because I have some irrational hatred.

Underrated - Players who I think gets rated less than they deserve. Why? Because, man love.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
These threads always confuse me. Has anyone got any examples of players who are rated just right?
There are plenty, actually. In my opinion of course.

Aguero, Fernandinho, David Silva from City. Everyone rates them. There are a few quality players from Spurs who are rated universally like Eriksen, Kane and Son and you can also find players from lower placed teams in the table who are rated the right amount. Vardy, Arnautovic, Mahrez come to mind and there was also Payet who was acknowledged as a great player in the Prem (he is actually still a great player today, just fun to watch and very productive).

Defenders tend to be rated right more often than not because errors are key contributions which are obvious to everyone. The hardest players to rate are midfielders, just look at Kante/Herrera where both sides talk the other player down while the truth is, the two of them played a major role in good teams winning titles and plenty of big games. They are both pretty great.

Additionally, there is this tendency to underrate midfielders just because the center of the park is dominated by the other team. "Look at Pogba, he got bullied by Henderson at Anfield!!". "Look at Dembele, he got bullied by Pogba!!". Tactics, home advantage and fitness all play a major part in the midfield battle and just because one midfield got the upper hand on one day does not mean every guy on the other side is totally wank.

Dare I say it, Jordan Henderson is underrated because if everyone doesn't rate him, he is not rated right. He is clearly a good cog in the machine for the current CL favourites:wenger: I don't like his passing game and he is not a holding player which hurts him, but he is the most competent midfielder at Liverpool in a defensive sense.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Underrated
Young - Don't feel you guys give him the credit he deserves. Flexible, never kicks up a fuss, good cover in multiple positions.
Willian - Rarely going to steal the show, but rarely going to give you less than a 7/10 performance either.
Firmino - Easy to look at Salah & call it a one man show, but the amount of room this guy makes for Salah/Mane is world class.

Overrated...
Hmm. Definitely agree with the Ozil shout.

Josh 76

Eric Cantana underrated in France.
David Ginola underrated in France.
Totti underrated in England.
George Best underrated everywhere apart from Britain.