PL's most overrated and underrated player resp.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Overrated - Chamberlain. A couple of good games for Liverpool and the pundits were lavishing praise on him. He is virtually no different to his time at Arsenal, just he now has a better overall team around him.

Underrated - Valencia. The man is an absolute tank. Would absolutely love him at the Arsenal if he was a few years younger. Gets quite a bit of stick on here, but always gives 100% effort no matter what.

PaulScholes99

Overrated:
Ederson: i have never seen benefiting a GK that much from a good team (more then Valdes @BARCELONA) - this guy is average at saving shots, terrible in the air, not certain at running out of his goal and brilliant on the ball. That is all. But somehow, as he doesn't concede much goals because of this good City team, he is seen as really good GK.

Underrated:
Pogba: just reading media it seems like he is bargain but overall he is doing well. Goal/Assist every 122 minutes in the league - KDB in comparison gets an Goal/Assist every 127 minutes. Then the myth that Pogba only shows up against small sides: Brilliant performance + 2 assists (+red card) against Arsenal (1:3), terrible performance against Tottenham (2:0), average against Sevilla (0:0), very good against Chelsea (2:1), terrible against Sevilla (1:2), fantastic against Man City + 2 goals (2:3), fantastic against Tottenham + 1 assist (2:1), average-good against Arsenal + 1 goal (2:1). He doesn't play bad against big teams and good against small teams, he has just had a period performing really bad (from 20 January against Burnley to 30 March against Swansea) but the biggest part of the season he was brilliant. But still media (and also caf sometimes) treats him like he is nowhere near an world class player and just shit.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Overrated: Courtios, Alli, Ederson,

Underrated: Elneny, Mee,

SATA

Overrated: Hazard (I will laugh for a month if Madrid buys him for 70 million or more)

Underrated: Alex Chamberlain

Dominos

These threads always make me laugh because there's always players named as overrated who are regularly and widely considered a bit shit. Henderson and Wilshire being prime examples - they get slated all the time, I've not seen a positive word said about Wilshire for about 5 years, and I can't say I've seen any hype around Henderson.

Edit: Ozil is another - he's been getting dogs abuse for years where anyone who had never watched football would think he's the worst player in the league - and he'll still be listed on the overrated threads.

montpelier

whether Hazard delivers as much as he should is debatable, but the guy is a proper talent

Overs - I'll go for Koscielny vs the top oppo where he always bollocks up & our friend Granit Xhaka who is just outright crap, so must be overrated by someone or other.

Under - dunno really, Son at Spurs, Milner maybe even?

El Pasillo

Underrated - Firmino
Underrated: Firmino.
That aside, Firmino is fairly underrated for players in the upper tier — though to be fair, over time, more and more people are at least acknowledging the fact that Liverpool's attack is predicated on more than just Klopp's system and Salah having a historic season, and he is increasingly getting the acclaim he thoroughly deserves. Tremendous work-ethic, 26 goals in all competitions - a healthy return for someone whose games doesn't hinge on goalscoring, and 15 assists:
Firmino - Easy to look at Salah & call it a one man show, but the amount of room this guy makes for Salah/Mane is world class.
Firmino is definitely not underrated who actually gets massive applause for his incredible season.

He's often being mentioned as one of the major reasons why Salah has been amazing for Liverpool.

The Brazilian is widely recognized as a genuine world class footballer given to his performances this season.

If anything, I'd rather say Mané is relatively underrated out of Liverpool's trio and hardly gets credit compared to Firmino & Salah.

montpelier

What does 'resp.' mean?
It's an investment vehicle available to parents in Canada to save for their children's post-secondary education . The principal advantages of RESPs are the access they provide to the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) and as method of generating tax-deferred income.

Respectively, probably. Requesting a nomination in each category, in this instance.

christian bennett

Overrated: Kyle walker, Aubameyang and Henderson.
Underrated: Lingard,Smalling and Oxlade Chamberlain.

Last edited by a moderator:

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
It's an investment vehicle available to parents in Canada to save for their children's post-secondary education . The principal advantages of RESPs are the access they provide to the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) and as method of generating tax-deferred income.

Respectively, probably. Requesting a nomination in each category, in this instance.
Thank you. How fecking difficult would it have been to write the word in full?

Should I move to Canada and have children I am now wiser!

simplyared

Correct!

Full bodied red

Absolutely agree about Silva - consistantly the best MFer in the EPL for almost 10 years now.

Likewise, agree about Henderson - have you ever seen an EPL player who walks as much during a game as that guy, and spends more time telling his team mates what to do with the ball after he's passed it square to them from 5 yards away than actually doing something with the ball himself ?? Complete gash.

Bwuk

Over rated - Marcus Rashford. He’s a good player but it gets treated like a travesty that he isn’t starting every week for us.

Under rated - Andy Robertson/Harry Maguire. Two players I was desperate for us to take from Hull after how they played vs us. Now arguably the best left back in the league, and Maguire is a 50m
CB in the making.

AshRK

Overrated: want to say Martial but really like him so I would say Wilshere. But every club fans have a tendency to overrate their players especially ones they love aka Martial

Underrated: THere are quite a few who do not get the credit they deserve and the first name that I can think is eriksen. He is by far the best spurs player. Azpilicueta is another I can think who does not get due credit. Always gives 7 out of 10 performance and is a proper crosser.of the ball. Another player I would have in our team.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Overrated: Stones \ Maguire. In the case of Stones the hype was plain ridiculous, nowhere near the talent the pundits built him up to be. Maguire is just a mediocre defender with shocking positioning who gets a lot of love because he is a unit and can play some football, plus being English of course.

Underrated: Fernandinho, easily the best DM in the world IMO, much better than Casemiro. Absolute crucial for City to balance things and play with that gung-ho midfield of theirs.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Underated : Milojevic - one of big Sam's best signings. Leader, determined and loves a pen. exaclty what you need in a midfield.
Overrated: Oxlade-chamberlain. shock that he went to a well performing side and now he's doing alright. Still not good enough for a side challenging for the title and the long range strikes make people forget how woeful he can be.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
These threads always make me laugh because there's always players named as overrated who are regularly and widely considered a bit shit. Henderson and Wilshire being prime examples - they get slated all the time, I've not seen a positive word said about Wilshire for about 5 years, and I can't say I've seen any hype around Henderson.

Edit: Ozil is another - he's been getting dogs abuse for years where anyone who had never watched football would think he's the worst player in the league - and he'll still be listed on the overrated threads.
Agree.

Mickfoley

Most overrated: Ronaldo
Most underrated: Alcantara
In EPL
Most overrated: Hazard
Most underrated: Smalling

luke511

Most overrated - Maguire, Alli
Most underrated - Smalling, N.Pope

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution

Overrated:
Juan Mata

I hate to say it but I think his personality and being a handsome little Spanish attacking midfielder contributes a lot to people's perception. If an Englishman called John Matty put in the exact same performances, they wouldn't be viewed nearly as highly.

The direct translation would be Johnny Kills ;) ...a name that would clearly contribute to people's perception. Although center back would be the most appropriate with that name.

Raru9

Overrated: Walker. He is a great athlete but tecnically is a bit off to my taste.

Underrated: David Silva.

lysglimt

Scout
Overrated : Hazard. Guy is good without a doubt but is he really up there among the best? Shows up for a season and then hides for 2.

Underrated : Giroud. I am astonished he wasn't used more under AW, but in recent years AW seems to of gone senile.
A bit harsh on Hazard. In 6 seasons in the P.L he had one season where he only scored 4 goals and one season where he scored 9 goals. The other 4 seasons he averaged 14 goals pr season. I personally would love to have Hazard at United - at his best, he is unstoppable