PL's most overrated and underrated player resp.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Underrated:
Pogba: just reading media it seems like he is bargain but overall he is doing well. Goal/Assist every 122 minutes in the league - KDB in comparison gets an Goal/Assist every 127 minutes. Then the myth that Pogba only shows up against small sides: Brilliant performance + 2 assists (+red card) against Arsenal (1:3), terrible performance against Tottenham (2:0), average against Sevilla (0:0), very good against Chelsea (2:1), terrible against Sevilla (1:2), fantastic against Man City + 2 goals (2:3), fantastic against Tottenham + 1 assist (2:1), average-good against Arsenal + 1 goal (2:1). He doesn't play bad against big teams and good against small teams, he has just had a period performing really bad (from 20 January against Burnley to 30 March against Swansea) but the biggest part of the season he was brilliant. But still media (and also caf sometimes) treats him like he is nowhere near an world class player and just shit.

Was speaking about this the other day to my mates whilst watching the game. Reminded me a bit of Gerrard at Liverpool where he needed Alonso and Mascherano to play and then every 2 or 3 games Gerrard would give them something special along with a shift. But these two guys were the heart beat and helped Gerrard excel. Pogba is like this for me and we need to make sure we don’t lose this guy and we try and harness his talent here as he truly is a special player. He’ll end up with an impressive amount of goals, assists and man of the matches. For a guy who has had an apparently poor season it feels like he’s picked up a right few man of the matches (I may be wrong here). I’d be building my team around this guy not sure he’s underrated as everyone and their dog must see the talent but think his season is well underrated as a few performances have been really poor but he’s been excellent in other games.

T A

overrated: Sterling
underrated: gabriel jesus
This world cup will show the difference between them

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Overrated:

Stones- struggles to see danger and at top level may struggle is it ability or lack of concentration at this stage I’m not sure (potentially very good but as yet has far too many blunders in him).

Lingard- not his biggest fan but has had a bit of a purple patch where he was adding goals and assists. Love the fact he’s a United kid but can’t help want to strangle someone when he keeps losing the ball so easily.

Henderson- think he’s stone average in possession but ok when trying to get the ball back. His playing out from the Gk or centre backs through him is woeful with him often just blocking one centre half’s pass to another.

Del Alli- Great stats over last few seasons without doubt but his general play has been poor this season for me. Not sure SS suits his style of play but definitely contributes to his stats.

Insert any English GK- they’re all poor compared to years gone past.

I’ve chosen English players and anyone of these guys could end up being the World Cup scapegoats for England this summer.

Underrated:

Pogba- this season performances have went from excellent to honking in some games but he gets criticised constantly and not sure he warrants that. He’s produced some great games this season but definitely needs to step up the consistency.

Vardy- a complete and utter pest of a player but a quality no nonsense player. Could top Kane in World Cup as he can be very hard to handle and knows where back of the net is. This years Jean Pierre Pappin or Toto Schillaci?

Mahrez- finding it hard to believe he’s not at any top 6 club as imagine him on our right attack, he’s easily one of the best wingers in the league and would love him at OT.

Bulldogg

Overrated: Xhaka/Lovren.

Maybe not overrated by a lot of fans but how their managers continue to play them so often really confuses me.

Underrated: Zaha/Milivojevic.

Watched a fair bit of palace this season i think Zaha may be the real deal now and also another player i don't see anyone mention is Milivojevic has been very good is their captain now and reading the palace forum lot of their supporters have him as their player of the season and the main reason they turned their season around.

Baxter

Mousa Dembele is comfortably the most overrated player in the league.

Trizy

Overrated players from top teams:

Chelsea: Luiz, Hazard, Kane
United: Lingard, Rasford
City: Sterling, Ederson, Stones
Arsenal: Wilshere, Ramsey
Spurs: Ali
Liverpool: Henderson, How ever you spell their keepers name.

Now the above players aren't necessarily bad. It's just the media or fans seem to rate them way higher than their ability.

simplyared

Dele Alli keeps popping up here amongst the overrated. I missed him. Definately overrated!
I would also put Fabregas in that bracket. Not saying he's not a good player but always thought he's been hyped up too much throughout his career. Never understood Barcelona going for him. Quietened down a bit now in recent times with Chelsea. A decent player but nothing more imv.
Mahrez is another good shout as overrated. Glad Jose didn't go for him.
Someone mentioned our own Valencia as being underrated. I'll go along with that!

Revaulx

Underrated: James Milner, still. Ashley Young also doesn't get the plaudits he deserves.
Agree with both of these.

With Milner, it’s not just on the Caf either. It’s sort of understandable that United fans don’t like him, because he’s played for unlikeable clubs.

I’ve always believed that if England had used him properly (in central midfield, rather than as a wide workhorse) they’d have been a much more solid outfit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Some ridiculous posts in here - you actually have to be rated by a good few people to be classed as overrated and how the hell is David Silva underrated? Where are the people that are saying he isn’t top class?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yes, he is even better than people think. Rather have him before Hazard or Silva. He is the one who makes City tick.
He has been spoken about as one of the absolute top AM's in the world this whole season, with endless features done on him. Literally everyone has been raving about him.

And I would also have him ahead of those two, as I suspect most would.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Our most underrated player is probably Lovren. He's done really well for long periods of time, but the way some people speak about him you'd think he was a championship level defender. He's clearly good enough for a good PL team.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Don't you think the fact one will be playing for a crap team who are perennial bottlers and the other a top side with the most wins in the tournament's history might have something to do with that?

Vanya

Underrated - Willian, Lukaku, Firmino
Overrated - Gabriel Jesus, Stones

ninjaskill

Question if everyone feels that players are over rated, Ederson, Alli and Hazard in this thread, or under rated, Silva, Firmino, Eriksen, Willian, does it in fact mean that they are rated correctly and people just think others don't also rate them?

Murray3007

Underrated - Sterling, Alonso, Vertonglan,
Overrated - Lloris, Henderson, Dembele, Silva, Ramsey

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Underrated - Joe Allen
I was going to say Allen for underrated. I know I’m a bit biased but he’s a very decent player, the Welsh Xavi thing hurt his reputation but he’s a very consistent passer, hope we get him back if Stoke go down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Eric Cantana underrated in France.
David Ginola underrated in France.

Totti underrated in England.
George Best underrated everywhere apart from Britain.
Where did you got that one from? They are both highly rated.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Sane is overrated. He's a very good talent who profits greatly from Guardiola's structure.
I also think that Hazard is a very good player, but not the world class or even Ballon d'Or material that he's sometimes made out to be.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Brazil have any sense, Jesus will be on the bench, with Firmino playing instead of him.

el3mel

Thought it's the opposite all honestly. Jesus is very overrated, while Sterling gets too much stick for nothing. He's not a great finisher (even though he still ended up scoring several important goals) but still a great winger when it comes to pace, movement ..etc. These kind of players are necessary for any Premier League title winners.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Overrated:

Anthony Martial
Juan Mata
Harry Maguire
Willian
Kieran Trippier

Underrated:

Paul Pogba
Chris Smalling
Raheem Sterling
Fernandinho
Johann Berg Gudmundsson

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Think people rate stuff differently and it's hard to say who is right in their ratings. I'd say though that I think people are underrating Paul Pogba & David Silva. I also think most young attacking talents are overrated as it's mostly their potential that excites rather than their current product. Sterling being the exception where his numbers and general play is doing very well for his age.

Meaning I think Sane, Martial, Rashford, Alli and more are overrated.
I think it's a issue with the pundits needing to create a new hero to praise or put down rather than the players or managers fault. The media and fans ourselves build up expectations that should merely stay as speculation as to how they might progress. Potential in that sense seems to be more thrown around as what we believe the players absolute top level can be like as opposed to what is likely.
I think the media fawns too much over local lads and English players in general. If Alli came from Uruguay through Ajax, or was a Spanish player then his unsporting behavior would have gotten a lot more coverage and the referees might have tried to stop it or be more aware, and it could disrupt his play. I base this on stuff like how the media seems to be protecting Harry Kane from bloody memes.
The media builds up their "stars" and will only tear them down for the stuff they ignore if they fail at the national stage (the club supporting people in the media being the exceptions).

That said, I don't think fans on football forums who watch a lot of football will be as easily swayed. Many of my former colleagues and my friends when they talk to me talk as if it came straight from the mouth of the media personalities, but here there can be nuances and sometimes proper discussions or more cutting through the bullshit.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Overrated players from top teams:

Chelsea: Luiz, Hazard, Kane
United: Lingard, Rasford
City: Sterling, Ederson, Stones
Arsenal: Wilshere, Ramsey
Spurs: Ali
Liverpool: Henderson, How ever you spell their keepers name.

Now the above players aren't necessarily bad. It's just the media or fans seem to rate them way higher than their ability.
Everyone missed this? :lol:

Also, who rates Liverpool's goalkeepers?

Trizy

Everyone missed this? :lol:

Also, who rates Liverpool's goalkeepers?
Kante - There's only a 't' missing mate, don't get too excited :).

For some reason, over in RAWK they consider him better than De Gea. I shit you not!

borrays

Overrated? Hazard, Martial, Ali
Underrated? Smalling, Mane, Dier

Mousa Dembele is comfortably the most overrated player in the league.
This. Got subbed off whenever Spurs were losing surely a sign that he's not as influental as many posters here think?

MrBest

My way of judging overrated is slightly different ...

Overrated:

salah, he has been exceptional this year but the way people carry on is like he is Messi. He needs a few more years of the same to even be considered to be rated in that bracket.

Pogba, he has had his critics and rightly so. There is this huge theory that he is world class but for me he has not shown that one bit in his 2 years here. Lacks consistency, goes missing in games and when he can't be bothered it shows.

Underrated:

Zaha, carried palace for couple years now. When he runs at defenders I stand up. Not in the England fold yet and should be at a top side.

Dembele, i regret not getting this guy a few years ago. Consistently anchors that midfield woth technical ability and physicality.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Kante - There's only a 't' missing mate, don't get too excited :).

For some reason, over in RAWK they consider him better than De Gea. I shit you not!
That’s incredible if they consider Karius ahead of De Gea, what did they say?

Apocalypse

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone who says Kante is overrated needs shooting.