Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers?

Canagel

Pochettino plays good football is one of the biggest myths on Redcafe. He has never played free flowing fluid football. Infact he plays lots of long balls like Mourinho . But he's not toxic like him and he builds something for the future managers to work with so I can definitely see that Ed will move heaven and earth to secure his services.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Pochettino plays good football is one of the biggest myths on Redcafe. He has never played free flowing fluid football. Infact he plays lots of long balls like Mourinho . But he's not toxic like him and he builds something for the future managers to work with so I can definitely see that Ed will move heaven and earth to secure his services.
That's not quite true - he changed to playing out from that back and cut out the long/direct balls a while ago.

It just so happens that it was terrible, didn't work, and got him sacked from an indispensable position. Quite impressive really. Mourinho has simply reverted the changes as he doesn't give a s* about playing like Guardiola, but rather simply winning games at any cost.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
You will want Poch, not just for me been selfish, but Rodgers hasn't had the best record in the transfer market and you guys need a rebuild, with us Puel had already rebuilt the team.

caid

The manager shouldn't be that relevant to transfers really. I realise they will be to some extent but we should have a structure in place to make most of the decisions. Pochettino is probably a more attractive prospect to players though i suppose.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The manager shouldn't be that relevant to transfers really. I realise they will be to some extent but we should have a structure in place to make most of the decisions. Pochettino is probably a more attractive prospect to players though i suppose.
From Frankie De Jong (one of the most progressive young midfielder in football now playing for Barcelona)

The Dutch midfielder said he had to weigh up all of the pros and cons about joining Mauricio Pochettino's team and having the chance to triumph in the Premier League"I considered their offer long and hard. I see Tottenham as a very stable club, and they are only getting better. They give young players a chance and I see Mauricio Pochettino as a manager who really improves young players. I like the kind of football they are playing. I think it would have suited my game.

Talented players will want to join United again with Pochettino. No one wants to join Rodgers. Sancho, Haaland, Atal,Konate, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, and so on will thrive under a Pochettino United team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Many posters here think we're only considering his time at Leicester, when Rodgers had Liverpool score over 100 goals in a PL season. It's clear that Rodgers' peak provided more entertaining football than Poch. They'll likely chalk it up to Suarez as if Poch didn't have Kane.
The way he had Liverpool playing was magnificent as far as entertaining football goes and Poch hasn't come close to replicating something similar in 5 years at Spurs. Rodgers also seems to get his team performing to a good level fairly quicky if his current stint at Leicester and the one at Liverpool are anything to go on. Rodgers for me is comfortably the better prospect.

0le

I was wrong about Rodgers. Have always admired Poch. I would take either.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
My only gripe with Poch would be his throwing of Cup games. The fact that he was at Spurs for 5 years and would have stayed longer if fully supported by Levy swings it for me though. I also think he would get the best out of Poggers.

VJ1762

Rodgers has managed Liverpool. So it's a no for me.

Poch, or if he can be persuaded to leave Ajax, Ten Haag.

Gordon S

Marco Rose is looking more and more like a top quality manager, maybe him? Otherwise i probably pick Poch, has done well for along time in the PL.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Never have and never will understand people who want Can, Coutinho or now Rodgers.
No thanks to anything that has been at Liverpool.

And the Busby stuff is a shit argument.

VJ1762

Never have and never will understand people who want Can, Coutinho or now Rodgers.

Some people on here would want Gerrard if he becomes a good manager.
And Sir Matt was appointed in the 40's. It was a different time.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We are amongst the biggest payers in world football and we are the only genuine club that could give him another chance amongst the big boys. I don't think is going anywhere anytime soon and unless Pep runs off at City there is no opening there.

I think if we sort out off field issues especially the recruitment part we would become an attractive proposition to any ambitious manager.
Right. He's definitely not going to move in January with having a real chance of finishing top 4 at Leicester. After that - who knows. I think any ambitious coach will be cautious to deal with the Woody-Glazers mess we have going on. But if anybody could deal with a tough situation, I would bet Rodgers to be one of them. Leicester was no cakewalk either.

Skills

Snitch
Many posters here think we're only considering his time at Leicester, when Rodgers had Liverpool score over 100 goals in a PL season. It's clear that Rodgers' peak provided more entertaining football than Poch. They'll likely chalk it up to Suarez as if Poch didn't have Kane.
Yes because it all went to shit as soon as he left

AneRu

Right. He's definitely not going to move in January with having a real chance of finishing top 4 at Leicester. After that - who knows. I think any ambitious coach will be cautious to deal with the Woody-Glazers mess we have going on. But if anybody could deal with a tough situation, I would bet Rodgers to be one of them. Leicester was no cakewalk either.
This is one issue that the ownership needs to deal with, just get Woodward off the football side and give the power to a proven DoF. Seems simple enough and its bound to make us more efficient in the long run so I don't know why the Glazers, in particular, would allow Woodward to stall on such an important matter.

If we remove the interferences from Woodward and get the set up right I think this job is amongst one of the most attractive jobs around. We rarely never spend below £50m net per season and surely the higher ups accept that we are about £400 - £500m short on new talent which we should bring in over the next three seasons.

el3mel

I had a discussion about that in that thread. Maybe you missed it. Anyway I liked him a lot while he was here. Of course hated him a lot after he left, hence why I said it was unfortunate how that ended out after he left, but during his time here as a player he was a favorite player for me.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I had a discussion about that in that thread. Maybe you missed it. Anyway I liked him a lot while he was here. Of course hated him a lot after he left, hence why I said it was unfortunate how that ended out after he left, but during his time here as a player he was a favorite player for me.
Yeah, I missed it or didn't remember.
He was great when he was with us, but good god he managed to sour my views on him when he left. :mad:

el3mel

Yeah, I missed it or didn't remember.
He was great when he was with us, but good god he managed to sour my views on him when he left. :mad:
Yes he turned to a total arsehole after he left. It's shame.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is one issue that the ownership needs to deal with, just get Woodward off the football side and give the power to a proven DoF. Seems simple enough and its bound to make us more efficient in the long run so I don't know why the Glazers, in particular, would allow Woodward to stall on such an important matter.

If we remove the interferences from Woodward and get the set up right I think this job is amongst one of the most attractive jobs around. We rarely never spend below £50m net per season and surely the higher ups accept that we are about £400 - £500m short on new talent which we should bring in over the next three seasons.
Check out the board of United, if you haven't already https://ir.manutd.com/corporate-governance/board-of-directors.aspx

It's packed with late papa Glazer's clueless offsprings and some money people, none of whom have ANY idea or interest in football. All they care about is Woody to keep bringing sponsorship money. Whether the team wins or not - they couldn't care less for. Realistically, the only way Woody ever gets fired is if sponsors abandon the club. Which, you would think they would, considering abysmal results in the recent years - who wants to spend millions on a mid-tier team? But the reality is - sponsorship spend is proportional to the size of the fanbase. If United still has the most fans at 10th place – what do sponsors care whether we win or lose?

fergosaurus

So if Liverpool lost their minds and offered us Van Dijk and Mane in exchange for Jones and Lingard, you'd say no?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Some people on here would want Gerrard if he becomes a good manager.
And Sir Matt was appointed in the 40's. It was a different time.
I most certainly would not want Gerrard

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Rodgers spell at Liverpool doesn't really matter. When he was Liverpool manager he was asked to give his All Time Premier League XI.

Schmeichel, Neville, Terry, Adams, Cole, Scholes, Keane, Zola, Ronaldo, Henry and Shearer.

5 United players. No Liverpool players, not even Gerrard who was his player at the time.

I pick Rodgers.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Marco Rose is looking more and more like a top quality manager, maybe him? Otherwise i probably pick Poch, has done well for along time in the PL.
This!

I'd stay away from Rodgers. I'd like to see how it pans out when Vardy can't cut it anymore;his rebuild will be interesting.

Rose has proved and proving that he plays good football, is tactically astute, finds gems in the transfer market and has experience

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rodgers spell at Liverpool doesn't really matter. When he was Liverpool manager he was asked to give his All Time Premier League XI.

Schmeichel, Neville, Terry, Adams, Cole, Scholes, Keane, Zola, Ronaldo, Henry and Shearer.

5 United players. No Liverpool players, not even Gerrard who was his player at the time.

I pick Rodgers.
So on the basis that he's a bitter cnut, you'd pick him. Great!

No one in their right minds would have Scholes over Gerrard. We all love Scholesy but Gerrard's ability speaks for itself.

fecking hell, I'd have Rio over Adams anyday

Marcelinho87

So on the basis that he's a bitter cnut, you'd pick him. Great!

No one in their right minds would have Scholes over Gerrard. We all love Scholesy but Gerrard's ability speaks for itself.

fecking hell, I'd have Rio over Adams anyday
What? He was a good player but nah not for me.

Too many times he tried to be the big I am and do it all himself to the detriment of the rest of the squad.

Take the slip day, after that he was taking pot shots from everywhere instead of playing people who were in much better positions in on goal.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In the back of my mind I have doubts about Poch, I'm just not 100% convinced by him, his final year with Spurs was far from great as most Spurs fans will tell you.
Rodgers did a great job at Liverpool, lets be honest, also at Celtic, although that's like shooting goldfish, and is doing great things at Leicester too.....I'd be more inclined towards Rodgers right now.

I really don't think that we can risk a young manager such as Nagelsmann, and I also don't think we should be chasing a big name either, such as Ancelotti.