Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers?

BlueHaze

Poch without question. Who the hell would even consider Brenton..

James Ward

Look at the team Pochettino built at Spurs. Such a progressive beautiful team that any sane fan would love to support.

I can’t remember any foundation Rodgers has set.

We need to rebuild the right way and the only manager that can 100% trusted in this department should be Mauricio Pochettino. I want technical gifted outfielders at United, intelligent, centerback playmakers, and energetic fullbacks with forward thinking approach.
Pochettino had nothing to do with building that team. He admitted this himself. Levy is the mastermind behind it all and signs the players.

So I would say no to Pochettino.

RUCK4444

Pains me to say it but Rodgers, he's proved himself at more than one club, in fact every job he's had he's done an excellent job.

I would expect Rodgers to get the most of this team very quickly, which is where I agree Ole is struggling.

SAFMUTD

You're basing that on their time in charge of Spurs & Leicester. Neither have the resources City or Liverpool do. And tbf, Leicester are clear of City right now anyway.
Yes Im basing it on what they’ve previously done,.

To be fair Poche left Spurs as a far improved side than what he took them and with very few addings. But once all their parts clicked he never seemed to reach consistency, they always slowed down in the last games of the league and while they developed a really good style I don't think they reached the heights of Pep’s City or Klopp’s Liverpool and he had already a pretty good squad (which he built in fairness).

About Rodgers I think he is considered only by this revolutionized Leicester but this has only been for a couple of months, we don’t know if he can maintain consistency, I know that bringing a new manager from another league would also be a gamble so to respond the OPs question I would prefer Rodgers rather than Poch.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Rodgers is obviously harder to like and I'd be wondering how quickly the players simply stop taking him seriously.

There is reason to believe his ceiling is higher than poch's though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You seriously need to ask this question? He is an ex-Liverpool manager. I know that Busby played for them, but I’m not sure if the rivalry was as intense as it is now. He is also not a manager of Pep/Klopp’s caliber - those are the ones that would pose a harder question if the opportunity were to arise (it won’t, but still).
:D Well, just imagine if he won a title for us. The Scouse would lose their collective minds. If he was ever taken on as our manager, I'm certain death threats would soon follow.
I can't believe anyone in their right mind would choose Rodgers over Pochettino. It's just recency bias blinding people.

The guy was in the SPL last year and had an even worse end to his Liverpool tenure, than Poch at Spurs. Pochettino's recent body of work is far more impressive than Rodgers, its not even a contest.
That's just a bizarre thing to say when football management is essentially predicated on recency bias, which is how hirings and firings and elevation to the next level take place.

Football management is essentially a 'what have you done for me lately' business; even managers two - three years out the game have aspersions cast on whether they can cope with the-now modern game.

Rodgers taking the league by storm, with attacking, dynamic football, at Leicester City, has more value to it than what he did in Scotland, or in the distant past at Liverpool because it shows he is hot right now - in the game, and capable, right now; he's not getting jobs based on things that happened a few years ago.
Would it be harsh to expect Ed to resign given that Ole would be the fourth manager in succession to fail under his leadership?
Woodward is a success for his bosses. He is making them money left, right and centre. He isn't going anywhere unless he wants to.

BigLebowski007

Pochettino between these 2. I respect Rodgers, but he didn't do a great¸job at L'pool. The rest of the clubs he worked at are even less comparable to Man United. Also as great job as Poch did with Spurs he didn't win anything, so still not sure where his limit is. Maybe he reached it already.

Why is Allegri not mentioned?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Pochettino between these 2. I respect Rodgers, but he didn't do a great¸job at L'pool. The rest of the clubs he worked at are even less comparable to Man United. Also as great job as Poch did with Spurs he didn't win anything, so still not sure where his limit is. Maybe he reached it already.

Why is Allegri not mentioned?
Poch didn’t win anything but United need 3-4 seasons of consecutive Champions League football more than anything. 3-4 years of what he did at Tottenham puts United back where they need to be.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Tevez was great though. I liked him. Was unfortunate how that ended out after him leaving.
Yeah he was. He was largely excellent for us and was my favourite player at the time. We should have never bought Berbatov in hindsight, we should have used the funds to tie down Tevez and think about Ronaldo's imment departure -- instead we got Valencia and Micheal fecking Owen. I mean, Fergie really did work miracles but that was as clear indication of penny pinching as you could see. I believe we actually signed Berbatov to replace Ronaldo or his goals. We also expected Tevez just to sign on the dotted line. When City came in and offered him crazy money we probably baulked at the figures. Total feck up by the club. Still Tevez was a real twat after he signed for City, holding that RIP Fergie banner and having run ins with Rafael.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Last thing we need. We need to make sure our next set of managers, have nothing to do with transfers or recruitment.
Well that could be a good approach but I see no sign at all of a DoF appointment.

el3mel

Yeah we did. He was largely excellent for us and was my favourite player at the time. We should have never bought Berbatov in hindsight, we should have used the funds to tie down Tevez and think about Ronaldo's imment departure -- instead we got Valencia and Micheal fecking Owen. I mean, Fergie really did work miracles but that was as clear indication of penny pinching as you could see. I believe we actually signed Berbatov to replace Ronaldo or his goals. We also expected Tevez just to sign on the dotted line. When City came in and offered him crazy money we probably baulked at the figures. Total feck up by the club. Still Tevez was a real twat after he signed for City, holding that RIP Fergie banner and having run ins with Rafael.
Yes. This window was the beginning of it all unfortunately, so in 2010 Rooney going levels above in terms of goal scoring and Valencia having a very, very good first season covered it up, but it was exposed after that as the time went on. Fergie managed to cover it up as much as possible though.

I absolutely hated Tevez after he left which is why I said it's unfortunate how this ended out to be. Was one of my favorite players, turned out to be a big arsehole once left.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. This window was the beginning of it all unfortunately, so in 2010 Rooney going levels above in terms of goal scoring and Valencia having a very, very good first season covered it up, but it was exposed after that as the time went on. Fergie managed to cover it up as much as possible though.

I absolutely hated Tevez after he left which is why I said it's unfortunate how this ended out to be. Was one of my favorite players, turned out to be a big arsehole once left.
Yeah Rooney was something else that season. I believe we'd have beaten Bayern and won the league had he got an injury in Munich. Those are small margins, not what Ole's peddling.

Edit: did we win the league in 2010? Cant remember now..

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
If Utd appointed Rodgers and it went well Utd fans would enjoy the added bonus of being able to wind Liverpool fans up - especially if he managed to win you a PL or CL. But the flip side of that is if it went wrong it would probably get toxic very quickly. Definitely not a valid reason to not appoint him but there is always a sideshow element and baggage to consider when appointing a manager, or signing a player, who has been a manager or a player at your biggest rival - added drama you could probably do without right now.

That aside I think either Poch or Rodgers would be a huge upgrade on Ole who looks like he won't be able to lift you out of this cycle of inconsistent performances. I wouldn't be surprised if you play well in the next two games, though how many points you'll get is more difficult to say, but then falter against poorer opposition.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Who's responsible for Leicester transfers?
our system is headed up by DOF John Rudkin, but Head of Recruitment, currently Lee Congerton and the current manager are also heavily involved, if the manager doesn't want someone they won't be signed we don't force players on the manager as that's just dumb.

Manager will suggestion players or tell the HOR a type he wants and then the scouts go to work, most of our signings will have been tracked for around 2 years before we actually sign them too

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Let's take Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, CHillwell and Vardy out of Leicester's line up for extended periods as well as a few others. If we did that, does anyone think Leicester would be where they are right now??? If your answer is no, then you must not rate Rogers very highly either. Or is it that we only come hard on our manager despite so many of our first team players being out for extended periods of time???

Ban

our system is headed up by DOF John Rudkin, but Head of Recruitment, currently Lee Congerton and the current manager are also heavily involved, if the manager doesn't want someone they won't be signed we don't force players on the manager as that's just dumb.

Manager will suggestion players or tell the HOR a type he wants and then the scouts go to work, most of our signings will have been tracked for around 2 years before we actually sign them too
Thats a good system. I wonder how it would worked if it was only Rodgers responsibility. Not so good I reckon. Most Leicester signings recently have been bang on. But it would be different at United given the state of our club.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yes Im basing it on what they’ve previously done,.

To be fair Poche left Spurs as a far improved side than what he took them and with very few addings. But once all their parts clicked he never seemed to reach consistency, they always slowed down in the last games of the league and while they developed a really good style I don't think they reached the heights of Pep’s City or Klopp’s Liverpool and he had already a pretty good squad (which he built in fairness).

About Rodgers I think he is considered only by this revolutionized Leicester but this has only been for a couple of months, we don’t know if he can maintain consistency, I know that bringing a new manager from another league would also be a gamble so to respond the OPs question I would prefer Rodgers rather than Poch.
They peaked in 2017 but unfortunately for them they had a relentless Conte Chelsea side to stop them in their tracks.

Losing Walker to City and peak Rose to injury was a huge loss for them going forward, imagine Liverpool losing Trent to a transfer while Robertson declines to relegation fodder level? They'd dive down the league quicker than you can boo.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Let's take Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, CHillwell and Vardy out of Leicester's line up for extended periods as well as a few others. If we did that, does anyone think Leicester would be where they are right now??? If your answer is no, then you must not rate Rogers very highly either. Or is it that we only come hard on our manager despite so many of our first team players being out for extended periods of time???
yes, funnily enough if you take half of someones first team away they wouldn't be as good, congratulations on that observation, the problem with manchester United is many of the first team players that are missing aren't that good to begin with
Thats a good system. I wonder how it would worked if it was only Rodgers responsibility. Not so good I reckon. Most Leicester signings recently have been bang on. But it would be different at United given the state of our club.
who knows, its been many years since any club in the premier league rant that way in reality

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Rodgers can evolve into a parody figure very quickly, just look up some of the guff he spoke during his tenure at Liverpool. At United, it's going to be same. A rich history and successful past, and he'll lap all the stuff about morals, principles, United Way, United DNA etc. very quick. With the current crop we have at our club, how long will it take for them to stop taking him seriously after a string of bad results?

I think we need to start with a clean state and stop obsessing about our past, cut that cord clean. Have a manager who believes in that too, which is where I think Poch would be a better candidate.

We would be lucky to have either. Both play good football and can improve players.

waza7111

Out of the injured players how many are starting 11 quality?

Definitely not Bailly, TFM, Dalot, Rojo or Matic.

McTominay has only been out for a short period.

Pogba is the only first team player who has been out for an extended period. Losing one player is the reason we have won only 4 league games this season? What does that tell you about the manager?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
yes, funnily enough if you take half of someones first team away they wouldn't be as good, congratulations on that observation, the problem with manchester United is many of the first team players that are missing aren't that good to begin with

who knows, its been many years since any club in the premier league rant that way in reality
So the same players that lead us well ahead of Leicester last year aren't good enough. Got it. Or perhaps you are underestimating the impact our injuries have had. We have been missing several first 11 players almost all year. Sure, we should have signed more midfielders this summer but that's not on Ole, it's on Woodward. But I get it...the grass is always greener elsewhere...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Out of the injured players how many are starting 11 quality?

Definitely not Bailly, TFM, Dalot, Rojo or Matic.

McTominay has only been out for a short period.

Pogba is the only first team player who has been out for an extended period. Losing one player is the reason we have won only 4 league games this season? What does that tell you about the manager?
Pogba, Shaw and Martial have all had long periods out. That's like taking Madison, Chillwell and Vardy out of Leicester's starting 11. Do you think they would be doing as well with those 3 all missing???

M Bison

Supports
York City
No matter what he does, i just cant take to Rogers. He's doing a cracking job but is just so unlikable.

waza7111

Pogba, Shaw and Martial have all had long periods out. That's like taking Madison, Chillwell and Vardy out of Leicester's starting 11. Do you think they would be doing as well with those 3 all missing???
Shaw has been useless for ages since his leg break. Martial only missed a few games. It's not a good enough reason for only winning 4 league games all season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rodgers is a good coach but not even half as good as he thinks he is. That seems a bit dangerous. Furthermore, we need a manager wo can build. Rodgers has never done that, IMO.

My first choice would be Rangnick (DoF) and for instance Rose (coach). Second would probably be Poch as manager.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Shaw has been useless for ages since his leg break. Martial only missed a few games. It's not a good enough reason for only winning 4 league games all season.
Martial has only started 8 games this year out of 14. That's almost half of the games. And whether or not you rate Shaw, he is our starting LB (and is much better than you are giving him credit for, but I get it, as we always tend to underrate our own). So I ask again, if you take Vardy, Maddison and Chillwell out of Leicester's squad for an extended period of games, not to mention the other injuries, do you think Leicester will be doing as well as they are. It's a simple yes or no question...

Enigma_87

You know who
Between the two I'd probably have Rodgers slightly ahead, although this seems to be an unpopular choice.

Steve Bruce

If we had the luck of not having any injuries all season, I don't think our results would be much better than they are, maybe a few points, but still far from good enough. I don't think Ole can get the best out of this team at all. I love Ole, but we need a proper high level manager, not one like LVG who is looking at United as their last job, or a Jose, who has an above average amount of baggage.

For me, Ancellote (sp?) is the manager we should go for. Experienced across Europe and England, wins trophies, still has plenty of life left in his career, tactically astute and professional.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Look at the team Pochettino built at Spurs. Such a progressive beautiful team that any sane fan would love to support.

I can’t remember any foundation Rodgers has set.

We need to rebuild the right way and the only manager that can 100% trusted in this department should be Mauricio Pochettino. I want technical gifted outfielders at United, intelligent, centerback playmakers, and energetic fullbacks with forward thinking approach.
I wasn't sure who you'd pick but I'm surprised this was the stance you took.