Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
its an insult to compare Martial to Vardy to be fair, one is a proven Premier League striker the other is Martial

waza7111

Martial has only started 8 games this year out of 14. That's almost half of the games. And whether or not you rate Shaw, he is our starting LB (and is much better than you are giving him credit for, but I get it, as we always tend to underrate our own). So I ask again, if you take Vardy, Maddison and Chillwell out of Leicester's squad for an extended period of games, not to mention the other injuries, do you think Leicester will be doing as well as they are. It's a simple yes or no question...
Of course they wouldn't but I think you are exaggerating the injuries to defend an inept manager.

Other top teams manage to cope with 1 or 2 injuries to key players so why can't we?

If it's because we don't have good enough backup players who is to blame for selling those players and not replacing them?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Both are good managers but Poch for me because he's shown that he's willing to gut the squad of mediocre players. I forget how many but someone mentioned the amount of players that left Spurs in two windows under his reign and I was astounded at the amount.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pogba, Shaw and Martial have all had long periods out. That's like taking Madison, Chillwell and Vardy out of Leicester's starting 11. Do you think they would be doing as well with those 3 all missing???
If the training regimes practiced at the time weren't that physical would they miss that many games(Pogba, Shaw, Martial)? Would Rodgers play Pogba 90 mins against mighty Rochdale?

These are very hypothetical scenarios. Rodgers has done well at Swansea, Liverpool and now Leicester - it's not like flash in the pan(discounting Celtic as they are in a shite league).

Good squad management and not that many injuries isn't always down to luck..

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Martial has only started 8 games this year out of 14. That's almost half of the games. And whether or not you rate Shaw, he is our starting LB (and is much better than you are giving him credit for, but I get it, as we always tend to underrate our own). So I ask again, if you take Vardy, Maddison and Chillwell out of Leicester's squad for an extended period of games, not to mention the other injuries, do you think Leicester will be doing as well as they are. It's a simple yes or no question...
Seriously, is Martial all that?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Of course they wouldn't but I think you are exaggerating the injuries to defend an inept manager.

Other top teams manage to cope with 1 or 2 injuries to key players so why can't we?

If it's because we don't have good enough backup players who is to blame for selling those players and not replacing them?
We can't cope because we don't have a deep enough squad. That's on Woodward...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Seriously, is Martial all that?
3 goals and 3 assists in 8 starts. That's almost a goal a game with a shite midfield trying to service him. I think he could be a lot better though. He needs to work on his off the ball movement. He would never score the goal Vardy scored yesterday as he wouldn't make that run...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Brendan Rodgers any . day of the week. Just look at what he's doing at Leicester City!

Let us not forget that Pochettino has not won ANYTHING during his tenure at Spurs and got sacked for a disastrous start of the season (even worse than ours!) with a team that is miles better than ours. And he got replaced by fecking Mourinho. Yeah, sure, he has more experience than Ole, but that bar is extremely low.

I think Rodgers plays more exciting football, is more tenacious, and has more hunger for winning. He would be a great fit for us. I doubt he would want anything to do with us any time soon, though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Would it be harsh to expect Ed to resign given that Ole would be the fourth manager in succession to fail under his leadership?
It would be perfectly reasonable apart from the fact we are owned and run by a bunch of utter helmet scrapings.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That's just a bizarre thing to say when football management is essentially predicated on recency bias, which is how hirings and firings and elevation to the next level take place.

Football management is essentially a 'what have you done for me lately' business; even managers two - three years out the game have aspersions cast on whether they can cope with the-now modern game.

Rodgers taking the league by storm, with attacking, dynamic football, at Leicester City, has more value to it than what he did in Scotland, or in the distant past at Liverpool because it shows he is hot right now - in the game, and capable, right now; he's not getting jobs based on things that happened a few years ago.
Which is why a lot of clubs suck, for lack of a better term. There are very few walks of life where competency at a specific role is evaluated based on a very short window.

BigLebowski007

I think I've just figured out a perfect scenario for United.
Appoint Mourinho. He wins some cup in first year. In 2nd year he usually challenges for league title or even wins it. At the very beginning of the 3rd season sack Mourinho as he will be complaining for sure by then and fall out with most of the players. Quickly appoint Ole for attacking football with immediate effect on players as well. Keep Ole till the end of season and then appoint Mourinho again.

DoomSlayer

Appoint Mourinho. He wins some cup in first year. In 2nd year he usually challenges for league title or even wins it. At the very beginning of the 3rd season sack Mourinho as he will be complaining for sure by then and fall out with most of the players. Quickly appoint Ole for attacking football with immediate effect on players as well. Keep Ole till the end of season and then appoint Mourinho again.
:lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
“Two-faced cnut” is probably a reference to him having a huge portrait of himself in the living room.
And constantly talking about how big a Celtic fan he is and then walking out on the team the night before a massive away game during a close title race. It was an extremely accurate description.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I knew someone would come up with that :)

SAFMUTD

They peaked in 2017 but unfortunately for them they had a relentless Conte Chelsea side to stop them in their tracks.

Losing Walker to City and peak Rose to injury was a huge loss for them going forward, imagine Liverpool losing Trent to a transfer while Robertson declines to relegation fodder level? They'd dive down the league quicker than you can boo.
It wasnt only on that season, remember season 2015-2016 the one Leicester won it was Spurs chance and they blew it. Even though Leicester slowed down and lost a lot of points in the final end Spurs bottled it and end up finishing 3rd.

Don't get me wrong, Poch is a great manager and ticks all the boxes great playing style, entertaining football, develops youngsters except he always seemed to miss that little extra that makes teams win titles, and we are competing (or at least want to) against probably the two most dominant squads in the premier league, I think we need a special manager, and I'm not sure Poch is on that level.

TheReligion

Abusive
yes, funnily enough if you take half of someones first team away they wouldn't be as good, congratulations on that observation, the problem with manchester United is many of the first team players that are missing aren't that good to begin with
They were good enough to beat your team with ease earlier this season though. Just saying.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Which is why a lot of clubs suck, for lack of a better term. There are very few walks of life where competency at a specific role is evaluated based on a very short window.
But team sports management - especially football, with it's rabid managerial upheavals and turnovers - has its own eco-system with very little that is relatable to the real world. As an example, managers like Lippi, Van Gaal, Hiddink, Wenger and anyone else from that era are seen as dinosaurs now who could not walk into equivalent level jobs despite having a vast body of quality work in their past, tons of experience and know how.

Football swings and shifts on a two to three year whim, and even then, I'm being generous, as the reality is more like 12-18 months. I think the only managers who can, or could, walk straight back into elite clubs after time out are those who left on their own terms, usually after being successful or stating they themselves need a sabbatical. Managers that leave on a sour note (sacked) and don't get straight back in the game find their worth dwindles exponentially, and I think it's perfectly logical as to why.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why? Isn’t that a bit petty. We don’t have the luxury of turning down good managers in our state
Football rivalries are petty and irrational, so yeah, it’s petty, but I don’t care. He was also a character I was happy to see as rival manager and someone who I wouldn’t like as our manager even without the scouser connection. Nothing to do with his coaching skills, that are great, but his man-management, press-conferences and the whole context around that Liverpool side were hilariously bad.

Infra-red

I don't think Pochettino will be interested. He'll want to move somewhere where he can rack up a number of trophies. That isn't United, anymore.

We might have a shot at Rodgers in the summer, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I wasn't sure who you'd pick but I'm surprised this was the stance you took.
The comparison to be fair is unfair to Rodgers. Not sure why any fan would want him. They might as well ask for Ranieri. Rodgers need to show years of consistency to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Pochettino.

Pochettino had nothing to do with building that team. He admitted this himself. Levy is the mastermind behind it all and signs the players.

So I would say no to Pochettino.
:lol: :lol: This comment isn’t worth my time and effort.

BigLebowski007

Seriously though folks, why is there no debate about Allegri? True, he doesn't know Premier league yet. But his Italian record is great. And in hist last 2 jobs which were Milan and Juventus he wasn't sacked, he resigned. So it looks like he isn't a problematic character and that he delivers results and vision.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rodgers should be a league winning manager if Gerrard didn't let it slip. His team was so impressive that season and scored over a 100 goals in just the league if i'm not mistaken. And has subsequently proved his credentials further currently at Leicester playing good football. I would get a DoF first and then would choose Rodgers over Poch. Poch is being severely overrated by many.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Seriously though folks, why is there no debate about Allegri? True, he doesn't know Premier league yet. But his Italian record is great. And in hist last 2 jobs which were Milan and Juventus he wasn't sacked, he resigned. So it looks like he isn't a problematic character and that he delivers results and vision.
Because he's too pragmatic and defensive. It's Jose without being self-centered or worrying about players feelings.

Poch had better players at Spurs during his tenure than United. Rodgers has a much better team and functional team than United does. The individual quality and setup at Spurs and Leicester are clearly better than United, which elevates their managers. Managers/Coaches are only as good as their players.

Poch would be a 'safer' pick than Brendan, who I'm not sure would take the United job due to his Liverpool ties.

In Rainbows

Rodgers should be a league winning manager if Gerrard didn't let it slip. His team was so impressive that season and scored over a 100 goals in just the league if i'm not mistaken. And has subsequently proved his credentials further currently at Leicester playing good football. I would get a DoF first and then would choose Rodgers over Poch. Poch is being severely overrated by many.
Many posters here think we're only considering his time at Leicester, when Rodgers had Liverpool score over 100 goals in a PL season. It's clear that Rodgers' peak provided more entertaining football than Poch. They'll likely chalk it up to Suarez as if Poch didn't have Kane.

AneRu

Brendan Rodgers any . day of the week. Just look at what he's doing at Leicester City!

Let us not forget that Pochettino has not won ANYTHING during his tenure at Spurs and got sacked for a disastrous start of the season (even worse than ours!) with a team that is miles better than ours. And he got replaced by fecking Mourinho. Yeah, sure, he has more experience than Ole, but that bar is extremely low.

I think Rodgers plays more exciting football, is more tenacious, and has more hunger for winning. He would be a great fit for us. I doubt he would want anything to do with us any time soon, though.
We are amongst the biggest payers in world football and we are the only genuine club that could give him another chance amongst the big boys. I don't think is going anywhere anytime soon and unless Pep runs off at City there is no opening there.

I think if we sort out off field issues especially the recruitment part we would become an attractive proposition to any ambitious manager.

dogwithabone

I don’t think there’s much between them, both have impressive CV’s (albeit a lack of trophies on Pochettino’s part) but I’d take Poch on the basis he’d get a fairer crack from the fans. With his Liverpool connections I feel the tide would turn quicker against Rodgers and then we’d be back at square one yet again.

TheReligion

Abusive
oh cheers, in along the same lines here's one for your good self, you are closer in points to the bottom 3 than you are to the top 4 ;)
I don't need the reality check cheers. I know where we are. I also know our standing in world football now and throughout history.