Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What? He was a good player but nah not for me.

Too many times he tried to be the big I am and do it all himself to the detriment of the rest of the squad.

Take the slip day, after that he was taking pot shots from everywhere instead of playing people who were in much better positions in on goal.
Opinions eh?

Bwuk

I think if we lose to Spurs and City badly it could be game over for Ole.

Zlatattack

Pochettino. Rodgers is ex-Liverpool. He could be the Messiah and I wouldn't want him.

Withnail

Biggest myth. It's on ole. He thought youth was good enough. No one asked him to sell fellaini
Apart from most of the supporters?

In relation to the OP I'm really not convinced on Rogers. He had one title challenge when Suarez was practically a one man team and his Liverpool were defensively suspect. Once Suarez left it was good night.

Winning leagues with Celtic when Rangers were in such a state doesnt mean a huge amount.

He's only been at Leicester a wet week and while they are on a good run there is evidence to suggest they are punching above their weight. A couple of injuries to key players or a couple of guys go off the boil and they could drop out of the top 4. We saw how easily a team with a new manager on a good run can grind to a halt first hand with Ole and also with Emery last year.

Take Vardy for instance, who is scoring double his usual rate of .5 a goal per game. He's on course to score well over 30 goals which I can't see him sustaining.

I think the jury is still out. He may well be a much better coach now than when he was at Liverpool and If he can keep Leicester in the top 4 til the end of the season then he'd possibly be a viable candidate.

However, i think Poch is the better manager and as someone else said if he can get us into the CL spots consistently so that we can kick on from there itd be better than what we've had for the past few years.

If it was a straight choice I'd take Poch over Rogers. For all of the above, the Liverpool connection and of course the Brentisms.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Said this in another thread. These are the following things that shouldn't happen.

Poch to Arsenal.
Rodgers to United.
Benitez to Everton.

Don't care whether they are logical moves that would be good for all parties involved. They're just wrong. We have to draw a line.

Withnail

What? He was a good player but nah not for me.

Too many times he tried to be the big I am and do it all himself to the detriment of the rest of the squad.

Take the slip day, after that he was taking pot shots from everywhere instead of playing people who were in much better positions in on goal.
Agreed. Gerard was one for the big moment and the hollywood ball but theres a reason Benitez didnt trust him in the middle of the park. He's more of a second striker imo so I dont see them as competing for the same spot to be honest.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You will want Poch, not just for me been selfish, but Rodgers hasn't had the best record in the transfer market and you guys need a rebuild, with us Puel had already rebuilt the team.
I've always thought Poch's recruitment is a bit iffy itself. All signings per season:

14/15:
Federico Fazio; Ben Davies; Dele Alli; Benjamin Stambouli; Michel Vorm; DeAndre Yedlin; Eric Dier.

15/16:
Toby Alderweireld; Heung Min Son
; Clinton N'Jie; Kevin Wimmer; Kieran Trippier;

16/17:

Moussa Sissoko; Victor Wanyama; Vincent Janssen; Georges-Kevin Nkoudou; Pau Lopez

17/18:
Davinson Sanchez; Lucas Moura; Serge Aurier; Fernando Llorente; Juan Foyth

18/19:
N/A

19/20:
Tanguy Ndombele; Ryan Sessegnon; Giovanni Lo Celso; Jack Clarke

'Hits' in bold. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh in 17/18, but up until now, that was the season he spent the most, and I don't particularly rate Davinson Sanchez. Too early to tell for 19/20 (and considering he got sacked), but I don't think early signs are that impressive from any of them.

He's an excellent player-manager; fantastic at bringing the best out of players and continuing growth, but I think like Rodgers, he has an iffy recruitment rate too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wtf logic is that
A logic of a football fan? There are different levels to this, but, to be fair, supporting a football team that you're not a part of is as irrational as genuinely hating its rivals. So you don't get to involve logic into this, it's just different layers of an irrational emotional involvement.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Simple question about this - we hired two managers from another PL that didn't work out so well, and Ole with experience in another English division. What makes people think that hiring another guy with domestic experience will work out great?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I've always thought Poch's recruitment is a bit iffy itself. All signings per season:

14/15:
Federico Fazio; Ben Davies; Dele Alli; Benjamin Stambouli; Michel Vorm; DeAndre Yedlin; Eric Dier.

15/16:
Toby Alderweireld; Heung Min Son
; Clinton N'Jie; Kevin Wimmer; Kieran Trippier;

16/17:

Moussa Sissoko; Victor Wanyama; Vincent Janssen; Georges-Kevin Nkoudou; Pau Lopez

17/18:
Davinson Sanchez; Lucas Moura; Serge Aurier; Fernando Llorente; Juan Foyth

18/19:
N/A

19/20:
Tanguy Ndombele; Ryan Sessegnon; Giovanni Lo Celso; Jack Clarke

'Hits' in bold. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh in 17/18, but up until now, that was the season he spent the most, and I don't particularly rate Davinson Sanchez. Too early to tell for 19/20 (and considering he got sacked), but I don't think early signs are that impressive from any of them.

He's an excellent player-manager; fantastic at bringing the best out of players and continuing growth, but I think like Rodgers, he has an iffy recruitment rate too.
Not every club is ran like United where the manager has full authority. Tottenham have transfer committees and Paul Mitchell was supposedly a big figure behind their transfers.

The only thing we know for certain is Poch drills players well and he can improve them.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Simple question about this - we hired two managers from another PL that didn't work out so well, and Ole with experience in another English division. What makes people think that hiring another guy with domestic experience will work out great?
And we once hired one from Aberdeen who did work out.

So let's go and hire Aberdeen's manager!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rodgers is rubbish in the transfer market. Would not work.

Withnail

So the conclusion is never hire a manager who's worked in the PL again?

This makes no logical sense, much like people claiming we should never sign another Argentinian player. You hire a manager based on his individual merits. Obviously the net should cast worldwide to ensure the best candidate is chosen but we shouldn't discount a manager for that reason.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Pochettino. Rodgers is ex-Liverpool. He could be the Messiah and I wouldn't want him.
Quite honestly I care not whether a particular manager is ex anybody. Whoever they were associated with in the past is irrelevant.
If Steven Gerrard was going to transform United into the successful club we all want then so be it.
That may stick in some supporters throats but I want United to get back to winning the PL and even CL.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not every club is ran like United where the manager has full authority. Tottenham have transfer committees and Paul Mitchell was supposedly a big figure behind their transfers.

The only thing we know for certain is Poch drills players well and he can improve them.
Perhaps. That just feels like one of those cliches ran in football when signings aren’t perfect. In fact, the same defence was used for Rodgers at ‘Pool with ‘the committee’. Who don’t seem to be an issue now Klopp is doing well...

Who’s to say the manager has full authority here, by the way? Mourinho, for instance, had a few options the club vetoed. Many of his apologists, err, supporters, often state players like Fred were bought against his will, or rather, a signing by the club, rather than Mourinho himself.