Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladron de redcafe

What are the goal posts at the moment? For me no manager, let alone a good manager should be considered as not able to ever win a title once, you just have to look at Di Matteo. The question is whether a particular manager gives you a distinct advantage compared to close or similar managers and I think that it's fair to say that Pochettino hasn't shown that he is that type of manager and one isolated win won't change that, not when he only has one positive European campaign with Tottenham. Logically, he will have to do it over several seasons to erase his past?
I agree with that. I wasn't referring to Poch in particular. I was pointing out that detractors tend to shift goal posts to avoid giving credit to managers they decided aren't good enough.

Guardiola was going to get "found out" in England, because the almighty premier League was different class. When he dominated this league, it became "easy" given the funds he had.

Pochettino should be good enough to win a title. Especially with PSG. If he doesn't, he's going to rightfully get excoriated.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with that. I wasn't referring to Poch in particular. I was pointing out that detractors tend to shift goal posts to avoid giving credit to managers they decided aren't good enough.

Guardiola was going to get "found out" in England, because the almighty premier League was different class. When he dominated this league, it became "easy" given the funds he had.

Pochettino should be good enough to win a title. Especially with PSG. If he doesn't, he's going to rightfully get excoriated.
I actually wants to know what the current goal posts are, it wasn't a rhetorical question. I have seen every takes on Pochettino from both extremes and don't really know where the consensus is.

tomaldinho1

Poch winning the Ligue 1 won't change how anything thinks about him, winning the CL with that team though should elevate him to near, albeit slightly behind, the best though (I'd argue it would prove more of a man/ego managing side to him than tactical).

As an aside, I don't think Pep has really 'dominated in the PL', he's had the best seat in the house since arriving and when you analyse what he's won, I think City should have won more.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Would you say that is more difficult to win the CL with PSG than it would be to win the PL with Man United (competing over 38 matches with 3 of the current top 5 clubs in the world, Liverpool, City and Chelsea)?
Do you think Poch has done better or worse than what should be expected for an absolute elite manager at PSG?
Where should we set the bar for our next manager?

PSG's ambition is to win the CL, it has been clear for some years that winning the CL is their main target and project. The managers will be heaviliy judged on their CL-campains while it is also expected that they walk all domestic competitions.......
I think it is obvious that Poch is too light weight for the job at Old Trafford. Everything he's done the last 2 and a half years tells the story of a manager struggeling to reach that top tier, how he lost Spurs and how he has not elevated PSG or had any visible positive impact on their play (at least not from what I've seen from their displays in Europe).
Their point tally and 12 point lead in Ligue 1 is also a bit misleading and they have been less dominant than the table indicates based on their play so far this season, if you put any trust in analysing tools like xG and xP that is. According to understat.com they have overperformed their expected points won with 8 points so far this season based on chances created and chances conceded so far. Their strongest opponent (Lille) has underperformed by 9 points based on the same criterias.... (Chelsea would be 3rd, 4 points behind Liverpool and City in the PL by the same criterias, and we would be 14th....)
First question, impossible to answer and any answer is pure opinion. They're both very difficult tasks, not least because United have some fundamental issues in the entire club that need to be resolved.

Second question, Poch isn't an "absolute elite" manager. I'm classing absolute elite as the best of the best. Pep and Klopp are top 2, Poch isn't in their bracket. But in my opinion, no one is.

The bar for the next manager? I'd love the absolute best but that isn't going to happen. So I want a manager ready to take a step up, progressive, forward thinking manager with a strong personality. (For clarity, I'm not saying that it or isn't Poch. That isn't how this conversation started.)

I totally get the goal at PSG is to win the UCL. He's still in it, with one of the better squads. He has a chance, but it's likely a small chance.

But Tuchel didn't it either? A loss in the final is still a loss, no UCL, right? And he's a great manager! Was before PSG and is now.

What I'll say for definite is I won't judge any manager on a stint at PSG. And I was impressed by Poch and his work pre-PSG.

Ladron de redcafe

Poch winning the Ligue 1 won't change how anything thinks about him, winning the CL with that team though should elevate him to near, albeit slightly behind, the best though (I'd argue it would prove more of a man/ego managing side to him than tactical).

As an aside, I don't think Pep has really 'dominated in the PL', he's had the best seat in the house since arriving and when you analyse what he's won, I think City should have won more.
Way to prove my point.

Ladron de redcafe

Doesn’t really make sense unless I subscribed to the idea ‘he’d get found out’. Do you disagree they should have won more?
Do you not think that setting the points record, points spread record, goals record, and wins record all in 1 season is dominating a league?

You can leave inane "but he spent innit?" arguments out of it because I'm not really interested in that. We are specifically talking about dominance. Does that not constitute dominance?

troylocker

In what world does Leipzig have had on paper better teams than Lyon or Monaco in the last decade? Based on what some of you say, you would think that Ligue 1 is bereft of talent.

And PSG have quality players but it doesn't mean that they have the best team in Europe and should automatically win the CL, they never had the best team in Europe. And if you want to mention Neymar he has missed a lot of KO stages due to injuries. And Tuchel reached the final didn't he, how does that fit with your argument about their results being due to Ligue 1?
In the real world they've had a better team than Lyon and Monaco (2nd and 3rd most valuable squads in France by a clear margin) on paper since 2017.
They have or have had quality players like Werner, Keita, Upamecano, Sabitzer, Olmo, Silva, Konate, Forsberg, Angelino, Nkunku, Haidara, Mukiele, Laimer, Szobozlai and so on (all 20M + players), had stronger appeal for talents and ran deeper in European comps than Lyon and Monaco. That shouldn't even be up for discussion.

Leipzig (squad value: 448M £) in Europe:
17/18 CL: 3rd in group with 7 points (in group with Monaco (last place with 2 points)), Reached Quarter final in the EL.
18/19 EL: 3rd in group.
19/20 CL: 1st in group with 11 points (in group with Lyon (2nd with 8 points)) Reached the semi.
20/21 CL: 2nd in group with 12 points. Lost to Liverpool in the round of 16
21/22 CL: 3rd in group with City and PSG with 4 points so far.

Monaco (Squad value: 331M £) in Europe since 17/18:
17/18 CL: 4th in group with 2 points.
18/19 CL: 4th in group with 1 point
19/20 Didn't qualify for European football
20/21 Didn't qualify for European football
21/22 CL-qualification: Knocked out by Shaktar before group stage. EL: Will probably win their group.

Lyon (Squad value: 302M £) in Europe since 17/18:
17/18 EL: 2nd in group with 11 points, knocked out in round of 16 by CSKA Moscow.
18/19 CL: 2nd in group with 8 points, reached round of 16 (1-5 vs Barca)
19/20 CL: 2nd in group with 8 points (behind Leipzig), reached semi (like Leipzig)
21/22 EL: Is winning their group

French teams in Europe since 2017:
17/18
EL: 1 x Final, 1 x round of 16, 1 x round of 32
CL: 1 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
18/19
EL: 1 x round of 16, 2 x group stage
CL: 2 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
19/20
EL: 2 x group stage
CL: 1 x final, 1 x semi, 1 x group stage (last)
20/21
EL: 1 x round of 32, 1 x group stage
CL: 1 x semi, 2 x group stage (both last in group)

Total:
EL: 1 x final, 2 x round of 16, 2 x round of 32 and 4 group stage (56 % out of group, 5 teams in KO stages since 2017)
CL: 1 x final, 2 x semi, 3 x round of 16 and 5 x 4th places in group stage. (55% out of group) 6 teams (only 2 times other teams than PSG) in the KO stages since 2017 and 5 teams (45%) have ended up last in their group in the group stage.

German teams in Europe since 2017:
17/18
EL: 1 x round of 8, 1 x round of 16, 3 x group stage
CL: 1 x semi, 2 x group stage (both 3rd)
18/19
EL: 1 x semi, 1 x round of 32, 1 x group stage
CL: 3 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
19/20
EL: 1 x round of 8, 2 x round of 16, 1 x group stage
CL: 1 x winner, 1 x semi, 1 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (3rd)
20/21
EL: 2 x round of 32
CL: 2 x round of 8, 2 x round of 16

Total:
EL: 1 x semi, 2 x round of 8, 3 x round of 16, 3 x round of 32 and 5 x group stage (3 teams qualified through 3rd in group of CL group stage, so 55% out of group). 9 teams in KO stages since 2017)
CL: 1 x winner, 2 x semi, 2 x round of 8, 6 x round of 16 and 4 x group stage (1 x 4th and 3 x 3rd). 73% out of group. 11 (other teams than Bayern 7 times) teams in KO stages since 2017 and only 1 team knocked out of europe from group stage since 2017 in the CL.

Total value of squads in Ligue 1 without PSG: 2460M £ (19 teams - 6 of them worth more than 100M £)
Total value of squads in Bundesliga without Bayern: 3034M £ (17 teams - 10 of them worth more than 100M £)

The Bundesliga is a much tougher leage by quite a big margin and the quality of the teams behind Bayern are much stronger than in Ligue 1.

captaincantona

In the real world they've had a better team than Lyon and Monaco (2nd and 3rd most valuable squads in France by a clear margin) on paper since 2017.
They have or have had quality players like Werner, Keita, Upamecano, Sabitzer, Olmo, Silva, Konate, Forsberg, Angelino, Nkunku, Haidara, Mukiele, Laimer, Szobozlai and so on (all 20M + players), had stronger appeal for talents and ran deeper in European comps than Lyon and Monaco. That shouldn't even be up for discussion.

Leipzig (squad value: 448M £) in Europe:
17/18 CL: 3rd in group with 7 points (in group with Monaco (last place with 2 points)), Reached Quarter final in the EL.
18/19 EL: 3rd in group.
19/20 CL: 1st in group with 11 points (in group with Lyon (2nd with 8 points)) Reached the semi.
20/21 CL: 2nd in group with 12 points. Lost to Liverpool in the round of 16
21/22 CL: 3rd in group with City and PSG with 4 points so far.

Monaco (Squad value: 331M £) in Europe since 17/18:
17/18 CL: 4th in group with 2 points.
18/19 CL: 4th in group with 1 point
19/20 Didn't qualify for European football
21/22 CL-qualification: Knocked out by Shaktar before group stage. EL: Will probably win their group.

Lyon (Squad value: 302M £) in Europe since 17/18:
17/18 EL: 2nd in group with 11 points, knocked out in round of 16 by CSKA Moscow.
18/19 CL: 2nd in group with 8 points, reached round of 16 (1-5 vs Barca)
19/20 CL: 2nd in group with 8 points (behind Leipzig), reached semi (like Leipzig)
21/22 EL: Is winning their group

French teams in Europe since 2017:
17/18
EL: 1 x Final, 1 x round of 16, 1 x round of 32
CL: 1 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
18/19
EL: 1 x round of 16, 2 x group stage
CL: 2 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
19/20
EL: 2 x group stage
CL: 1 x final, 1 x semi, 1 x group stage (last)
20/21
EL: 1 x round of 32, 1 x group stage
CL: 1 x semi, 2 x group stage (both last in group)

Total:
EL: 1 x final, 2 x round of 16, 2 x round of 32 and 4 group stage (56 % out of group, 5 teams in KO stages since 2017)
CL: 1 x final, 2 x semi, 3 x round of 16 and 5 x 4th places in group stage. (55% out of group) 6 teams (only 2 times other teams than PSG) in the KO stages since 2017 and 5 teams (45%) have ended up last in their group in the group stage.

German teams in Europe since 2017:
17/18
EL: 1 x round of 8, 1 x round of 16, 3 x group stage
CL: 1 x semi, 2 x group stage (both 3rd)
18/19
EL: 1 x semi, 1 x round of 32, 1 x group stage
CL: 3 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (last)
19/20
EL: 1 x round of 8, 2 x round of 16, 1 x group stage
CL: 1 x winner, 1 x semi, 1 x round of 16, 1 x group stage (3rd)
20/21
EL: 2 x round of 32
CL: 2 x round of 8, 2 x round of 16

Total:
EL: 1 x semi, 2 x round of 8, 3 x round of 16, 3 x round of 32 and 5 x group stage (3 teams qualified through 3rd in group of CL group stage, so 55% out of group). 9 teams in KO stages since 2017)
CL: 1 x winner, 2 x semi, 2 x round of 8, 6 x round of 16 and 4 x group stage (1 x 4th and 3 x 3rd). 73% out of group. 11 (other teams than Bayern 7 times) teams in KO stages since 2017 and only 1 team knocked out of europe from group stage since 2017 in the CL.

Total value of squads in Ligue 1 without PSG: 2460M £ (19 teams - 6 of them worth more than 100M £)
Total value of squads in Bundesliga without Bayern: 3034M £ (17 teams - 10 of them worth more than 100M £)

The Bundesliga is a much tougher leage by quite a big margin and the quality of the teams behind Bayern are much stronger than in Ligue 1.
Drops mic....

tomaldinho1

Do you not think that setting the points record, points spread record, goals record, and wins record all in 1 season is dominating a league?

You can leave inane "but he spent innit?" arguments out of it because I'm not really interested in that. We are specifically talking about dominance. Does that not constitute dominance?
Well if you want to look at single seasons, yes of course I'd say his 17/18 & 18/19 were dominant. In the same way Conte dominated the league in his first season (also set a points record which probably hints at the state of the league given Leicester has just won it as well) and Klopp dominated in 19/20 but we're now talking about one of the longest serving current PL managers. The below isn't mentioning spending once although I assume you understand how that is a huge factor.

1. PL: he's been good here, 3/5 albeit with Conte (also in his fist season so quite a level playing field) smashing him and Pool team comfortably beating them in 19/20. Could they have done this with Mancini/Pellegrini? Probably albeit without as many goals and, being fair, you can argue Pool would have also won in 18/19 given it was so close. This season is intriguing, Tuchel/Chelsea for me will be the first time since he's been in the PL there is a team on equal(ish) footing to him.
  2. FA cup: Poor. Genuinely this was their path the single time they won it: Rotherham, Burnley, Newport, Swansea, Brighton, Watford.
    1. I get it is just luck but for reference: Pool, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal were all on the other side of the draw that year, there is a bit of a narrative of City always getting easy draws but that takes the biscuit.
  3. CL: he's arguably at fault for half their exits where he changes things up and they get knocked out (Lyon, Monaco, Spurs, were all vastly inferior teams), Chelsea and Pool are closer but City were still favourites. The broader weakening of the Spanish big two & Serie A, plus Klopp and Tuchel winning it recently only reinforces this as an underachievement.
In summary, I thought he'd have won more both domestically and in Europe. FYI I think he's a brilliant coach, I just think put Klopp, Flick in that seat (maybe Tuchel depending on how he does this year) and they'd have more major honours.

JPRouve

Scout
@troylocker Look at the list of players you went with for Leipzig and do it just for Monaco, in the last decade.

Falcao, James Rodriguez, Mbappé, Fabinho, Mendy, Lemar, Ben Yedder, Moutinho, Glik, Golovin, Bernardo Silva, Tchouaméni, Tielemans, Saint Maximin, Sidibé, Kondogbia, Martial, etc. And unlike Leipzig, Monaco actually won the league against PSG so how can you or anyone make the argument that PSG are less pushed by french teams than Bayern are by Leipzig or Dortmund. More french teams have won the league since 2012 than German teams which isn't that difficult since only one team won against three french teams.

Last edited:

troylocker

@troylocker Look at the list of players you went with for Leipzig and do it just for Monaco, in the last decade.

Falcao, James Rodriguez, Mbappé, Fabinho, Mendy, Lemar, Ben Yedder, Moutinho, Glik, Golovin, Bernardo Silva, Tchouaméni, Tielemans, Saint Maximin, Sidibé, Kondogbia, Martial, etc. And unlike Leipzig, Monaco actually won the league against PSG so how can you or anyone make the argument that Bayern are more pushed by french teams than Bayern are by Leipzig or Dortmund. More french teams have won the league since 2012 than German teams which isn't that difficult since only one team won against four french teams.
Can't remember I said anything about pre 2017. Falcao good was Falcao from 2017 to he was released on a free trannsfer? Mbappe haven't played for Monaco since 16/17, Silva and Mendy te same, James left in 2014, Martial left in 2015, Saint Maximin played 2 games for Monaco in his career and so on....
My point is that since the start of the 2017/18 season Leipzig has been comfortably better than both the mentioned clubs. Leipzig is a new club and were promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time in 2016, so I guess any comparisons prior to that is not very interesting. Monaco had a great season in 16/17, sold their best players and has won a grand total of 3 points in the group stage of the CL since.....The distance in squad quality and resources between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 has never been bigger and what Monaco and Lyon did 4-10 years back is irrelevant for the situation in the Ligue 1 now.

JPRouve

Scout
Can't remember I said anything about pre 2017. Falcao good was Falcao from 2017 to he was released on a free trannsfer? Mbappe haven't played for Monaco since 16/17, Silva and Mendy te same, James left in 2014, Martial left in 2015, Saint Maximin played 2 games for Monaco in his career and so on....
My point is that since the start of the 2017/18 season Leipzig has been comfortably better than both the mentioned clubs. Leipzig is a new club and were promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time in 2016, so I guess any comparisons prior to that is not very interesting. Monaco had a great season in 16/17, sold their best players and has won a grand total of 3 points in the group stage of the CL since.....The distance in squad quality and resources between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 has never been bigger and what Monaco and Lyon did 4-10 years back is irrelevant for the situation in the Ligue 1 now.
You went into a conversation about PSG failing to win the CL since QSI came in, why would you change the topic of the conversation and start it in 2017 when you are not part of it?

troylocker

You went into a conversation about PSG failing to win the CL since QSI came in, why would you change the topic of the conversation and start it in 2017 when you are not part of it?
I was just arresting you for claiming:

In what world does Leipzig have had on paper better teams than Lyon or Monaco in the last decade? Based on what some of you say, you would think that Ligue 1 is bereft of talent.
Leipzig has in fact had a better team on paper than both those clubs since the start of the 17/18 season.

....and like I said in my last post:
The distance in squad quality and resources between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 has never been bigger and what Monaco and Lyon did 4-10 years back is irrelevant for the situation in the Ligue 1 now.
...so:
PSG should walk every domestic comp every year and be able to have 100% focus on the CL with the squad they have now. With a manager that can get the most out the players and handle megastars, it should be possible to look a lot more convincing than what Poch's PSG has been doing since he took over. I refuse to believe that squad has been playing at their full potential under Poch even once the last 11 months (the Barca away game might be the closest they have been).

JPRouve

Scout
I was just arresting you for claiming:

Leipzig has in fact had a better team on paper than both those clubs since the start of the 17/18 season.

....and like I said in my last post:

...so:
PSG should walk every domestic comp every year and be able to have 100% focus on the CL with the squad they have now. With a manager that can get the most out the players and handle megastars, it should be possible to look a lot more convincing than what Poch's PSG has been doing since he took over. I refuse to believe that squad has been playing at their full potential under Poch even once the last 11 months (the Barca away game might be the closest they have been).
So you are arresting me from claiming that during the last decade Leipzig have not been on paper better than Monaco or Lyon by mentioning players that have done nothing, that are not better on paper and by not considering the last decade?

And then you make a point that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, that conversation wasn't about domestic competitions and wasn't about defending PSG or Pochettino. The other poster suggested that PSG didn't win the CL since 2012 because the league is too easy for them which defies logic since Bayern managed to win it twice and be competitive in it while outrageously dominating their own league, the difference is that Bayern have had better teams and/or better managers than PSG. It's on PSG and no one else. I could also use Ajax

troylocker

So you are arresting me from claiming that during the last decade Leipzig have not been on paper better than Monaco or Lyon by mentioning players that have done nothing, that are not better on paper and by not considering the last decade?

And then you make a point that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, that conversation wasn't about domestic competitions and wasn't about defending PSG or Pochettino. The other poster suggested that PSG didn't win the CL since 2012 because the league is too easy for them which defies logic since Bayern managed to win it twice and be competitive in it while outrageously dominating their own league, the difference is that Bayern have had better teams and/or better managers than PSG. It's on PSG and no one else. I could also use Ajax
Haha! I obviously didn't follow the original discussion from the start, so sorry for off-tracking that conversation. I agree with you that playing in a weak league shouldn't hinder your chances of winning European trophies if your squad and manager is good enough. On paper that PSG squad is one of the strongest ever. Not on the pitch though, so it is all on PSG.

Off topic :lol: : I do think the Bundesliga is a lot better than Ligue 1 in quality though, with Leipzig being considerly better than both Lyon and Monaco or any other french team not called PSG. Just like I think West Ham, Leicester, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton, Wolves and Villa would qualify for CL every year if they played in Ligue 1.

troylocker

....Also a bit wierd to use Leipzig as the measuring stick when comparing teams over the last decade when the club was founded in 2009 and was playing on the 4th tier 10 years ago. Dortmund would be a better comparison, but then again it would be even harder to use them obviously since they won the BL and were better for that whole period bar maybe the Monaco 16/17 season. Well....

JPRouve

Scout
Haha! I obviously didn't follow the original discussion from the start, so sorry for off-tracking that conversation. I agree with you that playing in a weak league shouldn't hinder your chances of winning European trophies if your squad and manager is good enough. On paper that PSG squad is one of the strongest ever. Not on the pitch though, so it is all on PSG.

Off topic :lol: : I do think the Bundesliga is a lot better than Ligue 1 in quality though, with Leipzig being considerly better than both Lyon and Monaco or any other french team not called PSG. Just like I think West Ham, Leicester, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton, Wolves and Villa would qualify for CL every year if they played in Ligue 1.
Bundesliga is in my opinion the third best league. And no in that tier there isn't a team that is considerably better than the other, that's the kind of nonsense that does my head in. That's not the kind of gap that exists between this type of teams and it's a bit baffling that people keep making these points and think that it actually makes sense, when reality tells otherwise, just an example Lille have been struggling in Ligue 1 yet, they are top of the league above Sevilla and Wolfsburg that are doing far better in their respective leagues.

I'll never understand how people have this inflated idea of gaps between leagues and teams.

JPRouve

Scout
....Also a bit wierd to use Leipzig as the measuring stick when comparing teams over the last decade when the club was founded in 2009 and was playing on the 4th tier 10 years ago. Dortmund would be a better comparison, but then again it would be even harder to use them obviously since they won the BL and were better for that whole period bar maybe the Monaco 16/17 season. Well....
Well the disagreement was regarding Leipzig not Dortmund, it would be weird to disagree with something I agree with.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Off the top of my very sleep-deprived head, there was a game where Messi was intentionally stuck on the right wing, almost not moving from that position for the whole game as it was pretty obviously instructed to him and he was completely irrelevant for most of it. Just recently, his decision to bring in Di Maria against City to replace I think Gueye, when the midfield was already getting overloaded and PSG were barely getting a touch on the ball, was definitely a head-scratcher. To bring in another ball-dependent forward along with Messi, Mbappe, and Neymar made no sense. Now the score was still 1-1 so it could be seen as daring by some, but I think even without hindsight you could tell this was a terrible idea and City only had more freedom to operate and eventually put PSG away afterwards.

You're trying to criticize the one player that's got 4 more goals and 4 more assists than the second highest contributor on the team. The problem is not with Mbappe, it's with Pochettino getting such terrible returns from those kinds of players in Ligue 1.
The problem is mbappe more than it is Pochettino. Once again, he missed an easy chance and their fan are starting to take notice, saying that mbappe is downing tools and has his head already at Madrid. No matter the manager,, if he is a £200m player and the league isn't that competitive, he should be easily top of the goal scoring chart. Even his expected goals is ridiculously high, which indicates he miss a lot of chances. I don't see how you can watch psg game and see how many chance they create and see the amount missed and say their isn't something wrong with their finishing. When you also account for that Pochettino has barely had a settled 11 to work with, he is the last of their problem at the moment.

always_hoping

Poch is meeting expectations in the French league. He's 12 points clear after 16 games.

In Europe, he's done what he's supposed to have done thus far and qualified from a tricky group.

In any case, Tuchel proved even failing at PSG doesn't make you a bad manager.
Ask actual PSG supporters to see has he reached expectations thus far.

It wasn't a tricky group, PSG was expected to finish in the top two and Tuchel didn't fail at PSG.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The problem is mbappe more than it is Pochettino. Once again, he missed an easy chance and their fan are starting to take notice, saying that mbappe is downing tools and has his head already at Madrid. No matter the manager,, if he is a £200m player and the league isn't that competitive, he should be easily top of the goal scoring chart. Even his expected goals is ridiculously high, which indicates he miss a lot of chances. I don't see how you can watch psg game and see how many chance they create and see the amount missed and say their isn't something wrong with their finishing. When you also account for that Pochettino has barely had a settled 11 to work with, he is the last of their problem at the moment.
Sure thing, buddy.

Bubz27

Ask actual PSG supporters to see has he reached expectations thus far.

It wasn't a tricky group, PSG was expected to finish in the top two and Tuchel didn't fail at PSG.
If PSG fans aren't happy being 12 points clear and qualified easily from a tricky group, that says more about them than Poch.

Expecting to finish in the top 2 doesn't mean it wasn't a tricky group. But in your own words, he's meeting expectations in Europe, couple that with being streets ahead in their league, and he's doing okay.

Amadaeus

Sure thing, buddy.
:lol: glad you agree because you didn't say anything I said was wrong. Don't worry, I m typically right and it will take time for you to see it just like the others in the past. Heck even Tuchel didn't have psg playing this well and he wasnt as hamstrung as Pochettino. When Pochettino leaves, please don't change your opinion about him after seeing what the next manager does :lol:

always_hoping

If PSG fans aren't happy being 12 points clear and qualified easily from a tricky group, that says more about them than Poch.

Expecting to finish in the top 2 doesn't mean it wasn't a tricky group. But in your own words, he's meeting expectations in Europe, couple that with being streets ahead in their league, and he's doing okay.
Most average managers would have that PSG group players well ahead of the rest in France.

Stop calling it a tricky group. 3rd best in the group is RB Leipzig are the 8th best in Germany.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: glad you agree because you didn't say anything I said was wrong. Don't worry, I m typically right and it will take time for you to see it just like the others in the past. Heck even Tuchel didn't have psg playing this well and he wasnt as hamstrung as Pochettino. When Pochettino leaves, please don't change your opinion about him after seeing what the next manager does :lol:
I think you're going to need more smilies to keep reality out of your delusions, but for some reason I actually really do enjoy how obsessed you are when it comes to a manager of all things. They should do a psychology class on this. Do you even know what kind of team Tuchel had to play with at times compared to what Poch has at his disposal. Ah, what am I doing? Bringing pesky little facts into this fantasy where Poch is faultless and the best manager of all time. Carry on.

Amadaeus

I think you're going to need more smilies to keep reality out of your delusions, but for some reason I actually really do enjoy how obsessed you are when it comes to a manager of all things. They should do a psychology class on this. Do you even know what kind of team Tuchel had to play with at times compared to what Poch has at his disposal. Ah, what am I doing? Bringing pesky little facts into this fantasy where Poch is faultless and the best manager of all time. Carry on.
Tuchel complained about his time at psg and about his team. Pochettino inherited mostly the same team tuchel complained about and now has another massive ego in Messi who doesn't press and his off ball movement and position with addendum with mbappe and neymar means that Pochettino is more hamstrung than tuchel tactically. Moreover, the mbappe Poch has isn't the mbappe that is motivated to play, but rather already thinking about real Madrid. Tuchel had a better version of mbappe than Pochettino. Moreover, Pochettino hasn't had a settled, fit starting 11 to pick from, so he always has to alter his team and tactics. Even with such limitations, Pochettino did better in the league than tuchel did last season and already crushing him this season. In the champion league, he already beat the best team and lost the away leg by only 1 goal. All things said, please don't flip flop in the future, you will look even worse than the spurs fans on here when they wanted poch out and begging to have him back again :lol:

Bubz27

Most average managers would have that PSG group players well ahead of the rest in France.

Stop calling it a tricky group. 3rd best in the group is RB Leipzig are the 8th best in Germany.
When the draw was made, that was thought of as a tougher group but one that City and PSG would get through. People probably thought that because of what they did to us last season. As it turns out, it hasn't been tricky but part of that is because of how PSG have navigated it.

The average managers argument is is moot. Tuchel didn't have them 12 points clear, but he didn't have Messi. Not as if Messi has been brilliant in Ligue 1 this year, but still. Point is, we can't compare Poch to an average manager because an average manager probably wouldn't have the job of PSG manager.

always_hoping

When the draw was made, that was thought of as a tougher group but one that City and PSG would get through. People probably thought that because of what they did to us last season. As it turns out, it hasn't been tricky but part of that is because of how PSG have navigated it.

The average managers argument is is moot. Tuchel didn't have them 12 points clear, but he didn't have Messi. Not as if Messi has been brilliant in Ligue 1 this year, but still. Point is, we can't compare Poch to an average manager because an average manager probably wouldn't have the job of PSG manager.
Last years group included a RB Leipzig side who was the 2nd best in Germany and at the time of the group stage had the best home record in Europe. RB Leipzig regression is why it became a non tricky group for PSG this season however PSG was less than convincing against RB a narrow win at home and drew away.

And to repeat stop trying to make an argument out of where PSG should be in a low quality French league regardless of manager.

Bubz27

Last years group included a RB Leipzig side who was the 2nd best in Germany and at the time of the group stage had the best home record in Europe. RB Leipzig regression is why it became a non tricky group for PSG this season however PSG was less than convincing against RB a narrow win at home and drew away.

And to repeat stop trying to make an argument out of where PSG should be in a low quality French league regardless of manager.
You're not repeating that, you didn't say it before.

No point carrying on with someone as stubborn as you.

always_hoping

You're not repeating that, you didn't say it before.

No point carrying on with someone as stubborn as you.
I told you yesterday there was no argument to be had. The strength of PSG squad up against a low quality French league is the reality of the situation and thats the case if I was stubborn or not.

alexthelion

:lol:

lloyd2wayne

Do you rate Ten Hag?

lloyd2wayne

Check the ten hag thread. I rated him before he was popular and actually got abuse back then about what I said.
Oh ok fair enough. Was just wondering if Pochettino was the only manager likely available you believe can get back to winning ways.

Bubz27

I told you yesterday there was no argument to be had. The strength of PSG squad up against a low quality French league is the reality of the situation and thats the case if I was stubborn or not.
What argument? Go back and read what I was saying. I said I'm not letting a spell at PSG determine whether Poch is or isn't good enough for us. Goodness.

alexthelion

Why are you still in this forum? You were part of the Ole in brigade and alot of your old post looks really ridiculous. Plus, you are a big poch hater as well. I didn't know who you were but just a brief search telled me all I needed to know. Not even going to bother with this
So I was Ole in, what's that got to do with it?

Don't hate Poch, just don't rate him as much as you do your son.

Come back when you can post in a neutral fashion and not just a cheerleader for Poch.

TheGame

Why are you still in this forum? You were part of the Ole in brigade and alot of your old post looks really ridiculous. Plus, you are a big poch hater as well. I didn't know who you were but just a brief search telled me all I needed to know. Not even going to bother with this
I don’t think you are in any position to call peoples posts ridiculous. A lot of your posts are utter tripe.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Looks depressed and he has gotten psg to play really shit. It's obvious he doesn't like it there and its obvious he will not get them to achieve their CL target so why not hasten the inevitable and sack him

Status
Not open for further replies.