Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

I think many of us said that with signing of Messi, they will destabilize their team.

That's the problem with signing star names for the sake of it instead of looking at positions that you need.

I don't rate Poch, and I don't want him here, because I think the time for that type of move is long gone.

However, I don't think any manager in world football could win a CL with that first XI let alone control a game.

The front 3 offer absolutely nothing off the ball. Even if they were a non pressing team, it would still be impossible to fully control a game as opposition would just stroll by them without a care.

It lacks balance in every sense, and we've seen how a lack of balance affects Manchester United when they try to control a game. Our front 3 at least put in some sort of effort.
PSG's front 3 put in none.

On top of that, they hired a manager who relies on intense pressing as the backbone of his style and influence on a team.

Its not surprising that results are iffy for them.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Think some of you basing Psg problems on their front three haven't watched them outside the CL. Psg struggle with progressing the ball forward when they are pressed, they struggle with beating low blocks due to poor off the ball movement, the players performances have declined compared to before Pochettino came.

These problems have nothing to do with the front 3 not wanting to press. If you think all their problems is because front 3 can't press then go watch the games they've played that wasn't Man City because you probably haven't

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
While I agree that Pochettino is part of the problem at PSG, I'd like someone to point me to the side that can carry three non-pressers in the side, that is also successful.

Saying it's Pochettino's job to make them work without pressing is a bit naive. I mean, you could give me billion and ask me to make peripetum mobile, then blame me when I fail. Ultimately, my mistake is accepting such a job.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While I agree that Pochettino is part of the problem at PSG, I'd like someone to point me to the side that can carry three non-pressers in the side, that is also successful.

Saying it's Pochettino's job to make them work without pressing is a bit naive. I mean, you could give me billion and ask me to make peripetum mobile, then blame me when I fail. Ultimately, my mistake is accepting such a job.
They don't carry three non pressers, Neymar presses more than someone like Mané. If you want a similar scenario to PSG, you have Real Madrid with Benzema and Asensio, they are in Mbappé-Messi ballpark.

jackal&hyde

I understand Messi not doing much pressing due to age now, but why isn't Mbappe and Neymar? If players are just flat out refusing instruction he might as well resign as manager.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If players are just flat out refusing instruction he might as well resign as manager.
For that matter, they may as well shut down the entire club if they allow players that kind of power.

But then again - I don't think they do.

Big egos? No doubt. Refusing to put a shift in? I don't see it.

georgipep

Donnarumma/Keylor-Hakimi-Marquinhos-Kimpembe-Mendes/Bernat-Paredes/Herrera-Wijnaldum/Gueye-Verratti-Messi/Di Maria-Mbappé-Neymar/Di Maria ?

Any one of Zidane, Guardiola, Klopp, Allegri, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, Luis Enrique has them as favourites to win CL
Why would Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag make them CL favourites?

jamesjimmybyrondean

"I keep receiving information from Qatar that the Emir and his entourage are beginning to lose patience with Mauricio Pochettino. They don't like how PSG plays, their locker room management and the poor performance they get from Lionel Messi who they see misplaced."

He gone.
Who would they replace him with though? Gallardo and Valverde are the only rated options right now

romufc

For that matter, they may as well shut down the entire club if they allow players that kind of power.

But then again - I don't think they do.

Big egos? No doubt. Refusing to put a shift in? I don't see it.
There have been loads of reported rumours on how much power some of the PSG stars have.

Alot of this goes on at PSG because the board are so desperate to keep players happy.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think some of you basing Psg problems on their front three haven't watched them outside the CL. Psg struggle with progressing the ball forward when they are pressed, they struggle with beating low blocks due to poor off the ball movement, the players performances have declined compared to before Pochettino came.

These problems have nothing to do with the front 3 not wanting to press. If you think all their problems is because front 3 can't press then go watch the games they've played that wasn't Man City because you probably haven't
Yep, the shade Neymar gets is such a lazy argument as well, I'm also not sure where it even comes from.

Probably same sort of people who call ligue 1 a farmers league.

Ultimately he is doing nothing different to what Ole did when he was getting sacked. The defensive set up that allowed for some of the counter attacks in that Lens game, were criminal. Was like 3/4 vs 2 every time - I want him no where near us to be honest, the lack of shape is abysmal.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There have been loads of reported rumours on how much power some of the PSG stars have.

Alot of this goes on at PSG because the board are so desperate to keep players happy.
Yes, rumours. Some of it undoubtedly true to an extent too - it's clearly not the easiest group of players to work with. But there's still a huge difference between "difficult prima donnas" and "refusing to follow instructions". Tuchel said something interesting about his PSG stint:

Words are not enough for these big names.

Either they feel a connection or not, perhaps the quality of the instructions.

If it makes sense, if what the coach expects makes sense. What he asks for Neymar, for example, is better on the left side. Why should I start and start this discussion? I should find the best solution on the left side of the field, creating a situation to find it and give it options.

Neymar is the artist, he will choose. Once this player feels that he is something in his service, then the role becomes more specific. Then you can also criticise the champions, the stars, because the players know they are taking on their responsibilities.

romufc

Yes, rumours. Some of it undoubtedly true to an extent too - it's clearly not the easiest group of players to work with. But there's still a huge difference between "difficult prima donnas" and "refusing to follow instructions". Tuchel said something interesting about his PSG stint:
Also, people making a big deal about Messi not tracking, its like they haven't watched him for the past 3 years.

I remember the game against Liverpool, a CL game, a big game away from home and he is walking around.

If he isn't tracking in a game of that magnitude, he isn't tracking in other games. This is what you get with him because he can provide magic on the ball.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
PSG are neither unique nor special, and certainly far from the hardest job around
I think having 30 managers in their 50 year history suggests it is one of the hardest jobs around. That average carries on even after they became an oil club with 5 in the last 10 years.
That's because Poch is likely a great manager but not one for every club
Totally agree with this. I just couldn't see him being successful at PSG in the sense that he'd be playing great football and winning the CL but which is still a big possibility but I think he'd be tailor made for us and ticks most of the right boxes.
Tuchel made it work just fine until he decided to get into a dick-measuring contest with his bosses
I think most top managers would get into a dick measuring contest at PSG if they wanted to be really successful. If I remember correctly Tutchel openly complained (rightly or wrongly) of losing players like Cavani, Meunier, Rabiot and T. Silva on free transfers. It's widely reported that Tutchel wanted to keep Silva with even Sivas agent complaining about the way Leonardo dealt with the situation then the next day !eonardo came out and basically told Tuchel to shut the feck up and respect the hierarchy at the club. In other words he was telling Tutchel that he had very little say on players either coming in or out which most top managers wouldn't want to deal with.

JPRouve

Scout
This is something that is true for most players and in all sports. The same thing is often discussed in NBA, NFL and NHL conversations. It's not enough to just tell a player what you want, you need to explain your thought process and make sure that the players are engaged, that they understand and embrace your way of seeing things, it's also important to take some feedbacks from players understand what they see and how they see things.

JPRouve

Scout
Also, people making a big deal about Messi not tracking, its like they haven't watched him for the past 3 years.

I remember the game against Liverpool, a CL game, a big game away from home and he is walking around.

If he isn't tracking in a game of that magnitude, he isn't tracking in other games. This is what you get with him because he can provide magic on the ball.
It's not just the last 3 years, he hasn't done it in more than 10 years. I have always wondered if he adapted his game due to the accumulation of injuries during his early years.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...sis-positional-play-and-movement-off-the-ball

KingCavani

It's not just the last 3 years, he hasn't done it in more than 10 years. I have always wondered if he adapted his game due to the accumulation of injuries during his early years.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...sis-positional-play-and-movement-off-the-ball
And Mbappe bottoms out these stats along with him. Although he does sprint more than most and strikers generally run less.

It can’t be emphasised enough. Messi may genuinely have been the worst player they could have signed. From a footballing sense it was just ridiculous but PSG.

romufc

My apologies. However; in the earlier years Barca had players that are better, Suarez, Pedro etc, who worked hard for him and had a midfield that had control.

On top of that, add that Messi was producing crazy numbers, the tracking back wasn't that much an issue.

Since they lost that control, losing the players, Messi's influence was reduced, you could clearly see him having no effect on the game without the ball.

When you face the City's, Liverpool of this world, you need every player working hard.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not a fan of Pochettino, but what is oil money "unhappy" with? 11 points clear off the top in Ligue 1 and into RO16 of the CL. Do they just expect to stomp everyone, because he has Messi/Mbappe/Neymar? This isn't Playstation where you just stick the best players and call it a day.
Too many fans on here plays Playstation. Alot of the supporter on here believed that with MMN they would easily win the Champions League. Yet, in modern football in addition to having natural talent, you will need to have a collective unit of players that works hard, and have the motivation to want to succeed. Many pundit and top coaches are seeing what a lot of the Playstation fans on here doesn't see, which is in modern football it is near impossible to win games against strong opponents with only few player putting in an effort defending. You will need a collective effort.

Ralph as we see is making our players work harder and even have Ronaldo doing more running. Tuchel who is doing well at Chelsea said, it was easier managing lukaku than superstar neymar and mbappe. I will have to see a manager who can tell these superstars to put in more shift when they seem to have more power than the manager at the club.. In modern football, there needs to be a balance and right now Pochettino has one of the most difficult job in football because he doesn't have that balance and the expectation to achieve something significant with such an imbalanced squad. Regardless, he is still making it work as he is 11 points top on the league and on aggregate already beat one of the best team in Europe. If Pochettino can have a settled 11 for a prolonged spell, there will greater chemistry among the players and Pochettino can alter his preferred high press gameplan to accommodate MMN and the rest of the pag squad.

Kaos

I want Ten Hag in the summer, but would honestly prefer another season of Rangnick over going for Poch tbh. I can't warm myself to the idea of him being our manager, it just feels a tad bit underwhelming.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think we should just wait. Let's see where our Ralf era is going and how it's evolving. I don't want to end up with a manager who is inferior to Ralf .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why would Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag make them CL favourites?
More of a personal opinion based on what i've seen of them than something with a basis in reality. I think those guys, Nagelsmann and Ten Hag are cut from the same cloth as Guardiola, players will follow their instructions because they makes training sessions genuinely fun and engaging.

Allegri is good at man management and getting into his players heads, and a very smart tactician who is really good at finding the right solutions for the players he has

JPRouve

Scout
My apologies. However; in the earlier years Barca had players that are better, Suarez, Pedro etc, who worked hard for him and had a midfield that had control.

On top of that, add that Messi was producing crazy numbers, the tracking back wasn't that much an issue.

Since they lost that control, losing the players, Messi's influence was reduced, you could clearly see him having no effect on the game without the ball.

When you face the City's, Liverpool of this world, you need every player working hard.
I simply pointed out that Messi has not been a runner for more than a decade, I'm not really sure what the rest is about.

But even then PSG's issues are with the ball, they are disjointed with the ball and are arguably at their worst offensively since the pre-Néné era despite their talent. I don't even know why some of you are so focused on 'working hard' as if it was where PSG struggle, they fail to move the ball from defense to the attack which is mainly due to the players not named Mbappé, Messi and Mbappé having no clue about how to do it.

They are one of the teams that loses possession the most in the CL, they are in the bottom third when it comes to shots per games and key passes. PSG's issues are with the ball, there is no gameplan, no collective idea as to how to bring the ball in the last third and feed their attacking players. If you compare it to previous years in the CL in 19/20 during the group stages with 53.9% possession against 53.3% this year but they had 12.5 shots per game compared to 8.2 this year and 9.7 key passes per game against 6.6 this year. The issue is the 7 other players being abandoned by the coaching staff, these players need a script that tell them how to take the ball from the goalkeeper to the final third and since Tuchel left no one has done that.

KingCavani

I simply pointed out that Messi has not been a runner for more than a decade, I'm not really sure what the rest is about.

But even then PSG's issues are with the ball, they are disjointed with the ball and are arguably at their worst offensively since the pre-Néné era despite their talent. I don't even know why some of you are so focused on 'working hard' as if it was where PSG struggle, they fail to move the ball from defense to the attack which is mainly due to the players not named Mbappé, Messi and Mbappé having no clue about how to do it.

They are one of the teams that loses possession the most in the CL, they are in the bottom third when it comes to shots per games and key passes. PSG's issues are with the ball, there is no gameplan, no collective idea as to how to bring the ball in the last third and feed their attacking players. If you compare it to previous years in the CL in 19/20 during the group stages with 53.9% possession against 53.3% this year but they had 12.5 shots per game compared to 8.2 this year and 9.7 key passes per game against 6.6 this year. The issue is the 7 other players being abandoned by the coaching staff, these players need a script that tell them how to take the ball from the goalkeeper to the final third and since Tuchel left no one has done that.
You don’t see how a lack of work rate would contribute to bad attacking play? How off the ball movement would affect passing efficiency? Seriously?

They also bottom out every distance covered metric. That is the problem. Whether Poch can do more to adapt to it or not it doesn’t make it any less of an albatross than any manager must deal with.

JPRouve

Scout
You don’t see how a lack of work rate would contribute to bad attacking play? How off the ball movement would affect passing efficiency? Seriously?

They also bottom out every distance covered metric. That is the problem. Whether Poch can do more to adapt to it or not it doesn’t make it any less of an albatross than any manager must deal with.
So now the argument isn't the defensive work but that they don't work offensively either? Out of nowhere Neymar, Messi and Mbappé don't know how to attack and move, at least that's creative, I'll give you that.

romufc

Sounds like the same issues United have been having then. Poor tactical set up, cannot dominate games and relying on individual brilliance.

Hammondo

No other top team has 3 players of the quality of Messi, Neymar and Mbappé either
Well looking at how they are playing now, they are nothing special, they are doing a poor job that would have them smashed in the PL. They are lucky they are in the France, good lord they would have next to nothing here.

georgipep

More of a personal opinion based on what i've seen of them than something with a basis in reality. I think those guys, Nagelsmann and Ten Hag are cut from the same cloth as Guardiola, players will follow their instructions because they makes training sessions genuinely fun and engaging.

Allegri is good at man management and getting into his players heads, and a very smart tactician who is really good at finding the right solutions for the players he has
I like both Nagelsmann and ten Haag but their track record does not really guarantee anything. And Allegri has not been great outside of the Juve team that was head and shoulders above everybody else. He won nothing in Europe with them too. (two finals is good though, I admit)

I am actually surprised nobody is mentioning Diego Simeone. I doubt he will ever be considered purely because of his style but in terms of credentials and track record...he is superior to all 3 of these, in my book.

jamesjimmybyrondean

In their last game psg struggled alot to get the all out of their defense. How does Neymar Mbappe and Messi pressing change that

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Didn't he sign around New Year or something? Think sooner or later club is going to sack him and bring in Zidane, if performance don't improve then it'll be before CL knockout stages. Pochettino and PSG was never ideal combination I guess.
Is there any actual indication that Zidane wants to manage PSG though?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well looking at how they are playing now, they are nothing special, they are doing a poor job that would have them smashed in the PL. They are lucky they are in the France, good lord they would have next to nothing here.
Well now, that kind of quality would be an incredible weapon anywhere. But yeah, that's the issue we're talking about. And keep in mind the Neymar-Mbappé-Messi line hasn't even played together much, yet those issues are present even with Di Maria...and PSG did not have these problems under Tuchel
I like both Nagelsmann and ten Haag but their track record does not really guarantee anything. And Allegri has not been great outside of the Juve team that was head and shoulders above everybody else. He won nothing in Europe with them too. (two finals is good though, I admit)
Yeah, as i said personal opinion not based on factual basis

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
:boring: boring pointless argument.

Pep, on of the best ever, hasn't won a CL in a decade with some of the best, most expensively assembled squads in history but Poch winning a CL is the only way his PSG tenure will be labelled a success? That's a joke.
It’s a tough one. Not winning the league last year was a big demerit for him but they did get to the semis in the CL and knocked out Bayern IIRC, who everyone was scared of at the time. But it was a Bayern without Lewandowski…...

That’s probably what saved him last season. This season, with more time to work, more is expected.

KingCavani

In their last game psg struggled alot to get the all out of their defense. How does Neymar Mbappe and Messi pressing change that
:lol:

People are really out here equating distance covered with pressing. You do know teams have to run with as well as without the ball?

Messi doesn't even run when his team is in possession of the ball - He stands and walks until the ball comes near him. You don't see how that becomes an issue for his teammates?

Off the ball movement is the key to being able to play from one area of the pitch into the others. Opening up space for yourself and restricting the opponent is pretty much the name of the game. Poch's old sides were exceptionally good at that. This lot are not, and haven't been for some time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:

People are really out here equating distance covered with pressing. You do know teams have to run with as well as without the ball?

Messi doesn't even run when his team is in possession of the ball - He stands and walks until the ball comes near him. You don't see how that becomes an issue for his teammates?

Off the ball movement is the key to being able to play from one area of the pitch into the others. Opening up space for yourself and restricting the opponent is pretty much the name of the game. Poch's old sides were exceptionally good at that. This lot are not, and haven't been for some time.
Ever since Pochettino took over, pretty much

Also yeah, you're spot on about Messi. The good news is Mbappé is fantastic off the ball and Neymar is injured, Di Maria knows how to play with this version of Messi and of the rest of the team, only Verratti really needs the ball but he plays deeper, good coaching should make him and Messi find a balance

The bad news is this version of Messi is *really* ball dominant, Di Maria barely played in the Copa America and has generally gotten worse for Argentina, Messi has developed specific tendencies which he might not shake off(taking away a lot from Hakimi - who after a blazing start is now starting to get criticized), Mbappé as amazing as he is without the ball is still a superstar entering his prime and *wants* the ball, Verratti is not strictly a deep lying player and it'd be highly reducive to limit him to getting the ball to Messi out of the defence, and at some point Neymar will be back and he and Messi will need to find a way to coexist...

Hammondo

Well now, that kind of quality would be an incredible weapon anywhere. But yeah, that's the issue we're talking about. And keep in mind the Neymar-Mbappé-Messi line hasn't even played together much, yet those issues are present even with Di Maria...and PSG did not have these problems under Tuchel

Yeah, as i said personal opinion not based on factual basis
Psg has always have had problems controlling games against top teams, even against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.