Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

I think he’d actually do very well. A bunch of overpaid superstars who despite all things considered, actually want to win things. Mourinho is the type of cnut to get them all to believe that everyone wants them to fail and will get them to buy in to his methods, like when he was at Chelsea. I think this could be his swan song.
When did his methods last work though; particularly in the Champions League? Chelsea exited in the limpest way imaginable in 13/14 and 14/15, as did we v Sevilla three years later.

I still like Jose, though I’m not remotely a cultist, and I don’t think he has the same confidence in the success of his methods as he did of old. Which of course makes it less likely that players will buy into them.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It makes zero sense.

Mourinho can't stand not being the main man in the room, as he should be as manager, but with Mbappes new deal it would be clear were the true power lies.

You've then also got the fact his front 3 do no defensive work, and Messi and Neymar are too old to change now, whilst it's doubtful Mbappe would want to play further away from goal.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Mourinho needs hundreds of millions of signings and I cannot wait for him to sign lots of 30 year old physical blokes, Lukaku for example, to serve up the most negative football, losing them the league but getting them to the UCL final

crossy1686

career ending
When did his methods last work though; particularly in the Champions League? Chelsea exited in the limpest way imaginable in 13/14 and 14/15, as did we v Sevilla three years later.

I still like Jose, though I’m not remotely a cultist, and I don’t think he has the same confidence in the success of his methods as he did of old. Which of course makes it less likely that players will buy into them.
I don’t think he has many methods apart from total entrenchment and siege mentality. I don’t know why but I get the feeling the PSG personalities in the dressing room are a combination of stupid enough and big enough bastards to buy into his “us against the world” rhetoric, I think they’ll also see him as a ‘winner’ in comparison to the outgoing Pochettino.

He’ll walk in there, talk about the trophies he’s won, talk about what it takes to win the CL, talk about how everyone hates them etc, and I think they’ll buy in to it.

Most of the PSG players have seen all kinds of coaches come and go, from expansive, exciting, young coaches with philosophies but they’ve never had a win at all costs Mourinho type, and I think they will realise this is probably their best shot at a CL if they just follow his instructions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don’t think he has many methods apart from total entrenchment and siege mentality. I don’t know why but I get the feeling the PSG personalities in the dressing room are a combination of stupid enough and big enough bastards to buy into his “us against the world” rhetoric, I think they’ll also see him as a ‘winner’ in comparison to the outgoing Pochettino.

He’ll walk in there, talk about the trophies he’s won, talk about what it takes to win the CL, talk about how everyone hates them etc, and I think they’ll buy in to it.

Most of the PSG players have seen all kinds of coaches come and go, from expansive, exciting, young coaches with philosophies but they’ve never had a win at all costs Mourinho type, and I think they will realise this is probably their best shot at a CL if they just follow his instructions.
Reading this I don't know if you are talking about PSG and their current players.

Revaulx

Well I don’t know. The trophies are disappearing into the mists of time, and United players had no problem following his instructions v Sevilla. It was just that those instructions, which seemed to just involve hoofing it up to Fellaini, failed to work.

dinostar77

He was good, I will always agree with that. Is he good now? I don't think so. He is on decline and game has moved on.
Again agree that he is no longer in his prime as a manager. He has gone downhill somewhat since rui faria left to forge his own career as a manager. Has the game moved on? Yes but his negative, cautious, results first approach is still the vogue with a few other notiable managers i.e. simeone and allegri.

I would say though tactical acumen never leaves you though.

Irrational.

This would be a fun appointment but Mbappe won't allow it.
He’ll run it past the CEO (Mbappe), who will then ask for the opinion of the joint sporting and technical director (Mbappe) who will disagree with Mbappe and suggest an alternative manager that could also be player-manager - Mbappe.

crossy1686

career ending
Well I don’t know. The trophies are disappearing into the mists of time, and United players had no problem following his instructions v Sevilla. It was just that those instructions, which seemed to just involve hoofing it up to Fellaini, failed to work.
And I agree, but hoofing it up to Mbappe, Messi and Neymar, or Icardi is a different story. Especially when you consider the way Madrid won their CL this season, there's still a place for the counterattack at elite level

Woziak

Awe i feel for Poch, i dont think he's done anything that warrants the sack.
Mbappe doesn’t rate or like him! No top manager will take that job apart from Jose who will think his ego is still larger plus he will pay 7 defenders and Neymar, Mbappe and Messi perfect he will win the league with 100 points and probably a domestic treble telling everyone how good he is again! However the fact remains Ole knocked PSG out of the Champions league not Jose !

Woziak

His biggest advantage in a multi language dressing room he speaks all languages fluently so the chance of wining the league in 4th country would appeal to him and he is a master of mind games, the Portuguese speaking influence with Neymar would get him playing some of his best football again. Could see him buying Kaine just to piss off Levy too !!!

MalaysianRed7

Things always look better when you have the best tools at your disposal. He wasn't able to work his magic on a regular club like Everton was he?
He was in hindsight, considering two managers nearly got them relegated the season after.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Awe i feel for Poch, i dont think he's done anything that warrants the sack.
They played nothing until the season was basically over. He didn't do a good job with that team

Bigger issue is who they replace him with. I don't see better managers available, so they'd have to take a big gamble if they are to replace him

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
And I agree, but hoofing it up to Mbappe, Messi and Neymar, or Icardi is a different story. Especially when you consider the way Madrid won their CL this season, there's still a place for the counterattack at elite level
Yeah, the main point is Mourinho stopped caring about the game a long time ago and he simply has not the patience to study his oppos any more: just siege mentality and put in as many forwards as you can when things go south.

E.G. : He would never come up with something like “exploit their full-backs who play too high” like Ancelotti did against City and Liverpool… irrespective of the enormous luck (statistically speaking) Don Carlo enjoyed all along the way.

dinostar77

Before people right off Mourinho, its worth remembering that Luis Campos is coming in as director of football to replace Leonardo at PSG. Mourinho and Campos get on well togther, having worked together at Madrid. Mourinho recommended Campos to Utd board as a director of football and Campos even said in an interview when Mourinho was at spurs that he'd be willing to go to spurs to work with Jose.

So no smoke no fire....would be hilarious to watch. Forget Bayern being FC Hollywood. Mourinho trying to shape that squad of egos would be so worth a watch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It would be hilarious if Pogba signs and they announce PSG. Pogba and his mates can humiliate the real virus, make him pack his bags within a month.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Mbappe probably requested Mourinho...

Might feel the dressing room needs a character like that. Expect revolution at PSG this summer?

dinostar77

Has Zidane already said no? He'd be an obvious first choice as they cant get Guardiola or Klopp. Its all about winning the CL for PSG, nothing else matters.

If they did appoint Mourinho and they won every CL game 1-0 and bored everyone to death, no one who supports PSG would care. It would the CL trophy no1. Rest would be irrelevant.

Revaulx

Oh definitely. It’s just that Jose has got so risk averse in his old age that I’m not sure a side of his is even capable of effective counterattacking these days.

Chief123

If he goes there it’s a guaranteed failure.

If Jose didn’t like Martial’s desire to help defend, he’s going to have no hair left when he sees Mbappe, Neymar and Messi’s lack of desire to get back.

Idxomer

Has Zidane already said no? He'd be an obvious first choice as they cant get Guardiola or Klopp. Its all about winning the CL for PSG, nothing else matters.

If they did appoint Mourinho and they won every CL game 1-0 and bored everyone to death, no one who supports PSG would care. It would the CL trophy no1. Rest would be irrelevant.
Does he have the ability to do that anymore? His teams haven't been defensively great for years.

RedDevilMachine

all that went out the window when he started separating him and us. Saying the club is used to being knocked out early in the CL etc.

feck him.
And he was totally right. Since he left, we've failed to qualify for the knockout round of the CL in Ole first full season in charge and got knocked out in the first knockout stage this season. I would rather hear the cold hard truth than Ole's BS cover-up sweet-talk.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And he was totally right. Since he left, we've failed to qualify for the knockout round of the CL in Ole first full season in charge and got knocked out in the first knockout stage this season. I would rather hear the cold hard truth than Ole's BS cover-up sweet-talk.
a very small portion of our recent history.

He genuinely thinks he’s bigger than the club and there’s your problem. How has he done since us btw? hardly showed he wasn’t the problem has he.

The guy is a deluded narcissist.

Tavern in the town

Alternatively the manager could actually do his job well so he wouldn’t have to “deliver the cold hard truth”, and could instead talk about how we won the game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He lost to the club who probably never won CL knockout game in their history.

mu4c_20le

He was just copying his predecessor, LVG. Everything he said had already been said before. He was just covering up his own failures.

He spent like 150m in his first summer, 7 years ago. It was his job to turn us into winners but he was crying because we weren't set up like Chelsea.

dinostar77

Does he have the ability to do that anymore? His teams haven't been defensively great for years.
He inherited a experienced but aging backline on his return to chelsea 2013-2014. But I'd say hes not had his own choice of defensive lineup since he managed Madrid. The defence at Utd was a mess but that was a 50/50 split between Mourinho having to compromise his choices as the club were unwilling to buy the defendera he really wanted.

Tavern in the town

He inherited a experienced but aging backline on his return to chelsea 2013-2014. But I'd say hes not had his own choice of defensive lineup since he managed Madrid. The defence at Utd was a mess but that was a 50/50 split between Mourinho having to compromise his choices as the club were unwilling to buy the defendera he really wanted.
Lindelof and Bailly were both his choices and after those he wanted a finished Alderweireld, a finished Boateng or Maguire who this forum thinks is shite. His talent ID is rubbish these days.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mourinho isn't leaving Roma right now. He's finally found a club where he's genuinely beloved by everyone, doesn't have to fight his players or management and is happy again

No chance he leaves that, especially for this iteration of PSG

Tavern in the town

Mourinho isn't leaving Roma right now. He's finally found a club where he's genuinely beloved by everyone, doesn't have to fight his players of management and is happy again

No chance he leaves that, especially for this iteration of PSG
He left Porto and Inter in the exact same circumstance.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He left Porto and Inter in the exact same circumstance.
No. He left them after winning the CL, when he was widely regarded as one of the very best around at his job, going to clubs that were ready to give him everything he wanted and saw him as the solution.

This Mourinho comes off having won no league/CL in near a decade, after falling out at madrid, chelsea, then failing at United and Spurs. He's spent years in the wilderness going from a club that wasn't willing to back him to another. He's finally found the right club for him, he's not leaving them after 1 year to go somewhere he'd have to suck up to his star players

Status
Not open for further replies.