Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Klopp is on £15 million per year
Should have said, up until the contract extension signed last year, Ole was earning more than Klopp.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Should have said, up until the contract extension signed last year, Ole was earning more than Klopp.
He wasn't. France football or l'equipe reported salaries which had Klopp earning more than Ole even last year.

Champ

I think this 'story' is more a case of, they've got lots of money, Poch is available, let's make something up.
The irony being they don't have a lot of money.
Yes the potential new owners are filthy rich, but they can't start throwing around money anymore like City, unless they start cooking the books and creating false sponsorship deals.
Their commercial revenue is peanuts so they have to stick within the realms of FFP, which will massively limit their spending power.

Champ

He wasn't. France football reported salaries which had Klopp earning more than Ole even last year.
Not getting into debate on this, but Klopp was earning under £7m untill his contract extension in December.
Still, if theres even a ounce of truth in the Poch rumours, which I doubt there is, it will blow the managerial salary structure to smithereens!!

roonster09

Scout
Not getting into debate on this, but Klopp was earning under £7m untill his contract extension in December.
Still, if theres even a ounce of truth in the Poch rumours, which I doubt there is, it will blow the managerial salary structure to smithereens!!
As per French papers he was earning 13 million at that time.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The irony being they don't have a lot of money.
Yes the potential new owners are filthy rich, but they can't start throwing around money anymore like City, unless they start cooking the books and creating false sponsorship deals.
Their commercial revenue is peanuts so they have to stick within the realms of FFP, which will massively limit their spending power.
Yeh, but that spending power has no effect on who they have as manager. It might effect how much they can spend on players though.

padzilla

Hipster
Isn't there a school of thought that Newcastle won't have to worry for years about FFP because of how tight Ashley was? I read somewhere they could spend a couple of hundred million before they would raise alarms.

Doesn't ffp play a part in how much Newcastle can spend?.
of course it does. People are getting very excited for no reason.

remember when QPR were meant to have a whole load of cash! There’s numerous examples. And yes, much more difficult to get around (legally) FFP - it needs to be a slow burn.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
of course it does. People are getting very excited for no reason.

remember when QPR were meant to have a whole load of cash! There’s numerous examples. And yes, much more difficult to get around (legally) FFP - it needs to be a slow burn.
I'm assuming the spotlight will be on them due to what's happening to city.

Champ

As per French papers he was earning 13 million at that time.
Ah yes, French papers writing about a German manager in an English league :lol:
He's on £14m now, was on £7m.

roonster09

Scout
Ah yes, French papers writing about a German manager in an English league :lol:
He's on £14m now, was on £7m.
It's the report on highest paid managers.

2020 and still people use this. Italian paper was giving min by min analysis of Brazilian player from Ukrain league moving to English league while English media was busy writing random stories and adding few millions to his transfer fee.

Last edited:

TheLiverBird

After what Must feel like a lifetime under Ashley, if this goes through then I cannot imagine what this must feel like for Newcastle fans

People stating the obvious “well it’s not going to guarantee success straight away, it could take 3-4 years” bla bla bla

well derrrr, that’s obvious

but atleast Newcastle fans will have a project to look forward to for the next few years, whilst we all watch out of interest

if the rumours on Poch are true (at the moment you take it with a pinch of salt) then I see no reason why he’s turn it down

they are a decent sized Club Newcastle, massive following! Dwarfs Cities following, loud and passionate, and a project to turn this big club into a power house

I think It would be an excellent move for Poch personally

he’s not a Klopp, or a Pep, but your a fool if you think he isn’t the hottest managerial property on the market at the moment regardless to wether you think he’s over rated, that is his current standing in world football

And new owners worth £200 billion or whatever it is could probably lay out a nice attractive package for someone like Poch with an exciting project to boot

interesting times

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Pochettino would be wonderful appointment for Newcastle if they can get him. As a prospective Newcastle manager, he basically ticks every box, i.e. having decent amount of Premier League experience with two different clubs, the fact that all 3 of his managerial posts so far have been successful ones (regardless of how things ended at Espanyol and Tottenham), a proven record of building squads and developing players (the number of players that improved under his watch at Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham is considerable), consistently achieving positions in the upper echelons of the Premier League, Champions League experience including knockout stage experience, generally playing pretty attractive football, being freely available etc.

I know plenty of Newcastle fans, I as I have family in the city. None of the ones I've met in person are expecting them to become the next Chelsea or City or anything, and they'd be over the moon if they could become the next Leicester or Wolves. They want the team to show more ambition than just treading water in the Premier League and clinging on to the TV money (and it could be argued that their 2 relegations were facilities by poor decisions made by Ashley), do better in the domestic cups (between 2006 and this season they didn't make one single quarter-final appearance in either competition), and improve the derelict training facilities (Man City's kids surely have better facilities than the Newcastle first-team) and youth academy. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Plus the club should spend money improving, renovating and modernising their stadium (not expanding it but sprucing it up as it is crumbling) and look to increase their commercial revenue which is no higher now than it was when Ashley took over 13 years ago.

Uniquim

Oh dang. This would be a great appointment for Newcastle. With this, and the potential of a big transfer kitty in a time where a lot of clubs would take a lower sum for players, Newcastle could have a uptick in fortunes fairly quickly.

passing-wind

I think people should put this interest into perspective. Poch within the last few years has turn't down Madrid, had Tottenham in the upper selection of the league's standings and has played consistently in Europe in the UCL. In what world is migrating to a relegation zone level Newcastle seen as a logical decision or good opportunity ?

Irrespective of the owners pockets, I struggle to see how the Saudis can install finances into the club without breaching the regulations set in place. Poch recent comments about Tottenham sound as if Levy is having some private conversations regarding him returning to management. I think it's more likely he will return to Spurs as opposed to Newcastle.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pochettino is true to his colour, He said
  1. He will never manage Barca because He managed Espanyol
  2. He will never manage Arsenal because He managed Tottenham
Imagine rejecting Arsenal and Barca but not Newcastle. Doesn't seem likely to me.

Needham

Thought he said he could never manage Newcastle because their stripiness reminded him of Barca.

Okey

Good to see people have flagged up the FFP problem. Unless that is jettisoned (and I can't imagine why), then there's only so much money you can put in relative to what you make. It'll be a slow build, no matter which manager they get. Not exactly quaking in my boots...

dalriada

I think people should put this interest into perspective. Poch within the last few years has turn't down Madrid, had Tottenham in the upper selection of the league's standings and has played consistently in Europe in the UCL. In what world is migrating to a relegation zone level Newcastle seen as a logical decision or good opportunity ?

Irrespective of the owners pockets, I struggle to see how the Saudis can install finances into the club without breaching the regulations set in place. Poch recent comments about Tottenham sound as if Levy is having some private conversations regarding him returning to management. I think it's more likely he will return to Spurs as opposed to Newcastle.
You have to wonder how owners like Levy will fair in the aftermath of Covid. I hope that the fair play regulations are enforced, but if the Saudis have money to spend and the likes of Levy tighten the belt, the football authorities might not be too fussy. A manager looking for a club with money to spend may not have many options for a while to come, and even with FFP, Saudi money would almost certainly take Newcastle away from its annual relegation worries.

For me, a bigger question for Pochettino would be whether he wants to spend his best years on a rebuilding exercise and be Newcastle's Mancini or Pelligrini. The club has a remarkably loyal fan base for a relatively small city and a good underlying commercial operation, probably better than City's when their current owners took over. He would still be looking at 3-4 seasons, though, before he could expect to be competing for silverware, assuming Liverpool stay in the top four and Utd continue to progress and based on how long it took City. There is also a long-standing reluctance of players, particularly from overseas, to move to a club so far from the big population centres, and, frankly, in such a cold part of the country (and I lived up there for a while, so I've experienced the climate).

There will probably be better opportunities elsewhere at clubs with a regular manager churn, but I think the effects of Covid could turn the football world upside down in the short term.

Reactions: van der star

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That would be amazing but where did you read this?

Pochettino has won nothing, that's my only concern with him.
Poch will win when he's at a better club, I'm quite confident about that.

It's like how Suarez was underwhelming in big games for Liverpool (or "when it really mattered") but shone at Barca.

Sometimes the step up is exactly what a player or manager needs to win trophies.

MetoTTT

Oh dear. I know our recent results and performances were good but missing out on Pochettino may prove to be the wrong decision. Hopefully not.
I don't know if missing out on Pochettino was the wrong decision but I'm not sure that keep OGS is the right one...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
NO UPDATES

Sorry if you were expecting something.

Anyway, the talk around him has died down. Is there anyway he could go?

Juventus maybe?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If Barcelona had any sense (which they don't) they'd consider hiring this guy.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Manchester City and Chelsea are now some the strongest team in England due to significant investment. If Newcastle gets Poch and he is backed by Saudi money, it is inevitable that Newcastle will get into the Champions league and maybe also win the league. The only thing that might hinder that from happening is financial fair play rule.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Manchester City and Chelsea are now some the strongest team in England due to significant investment. If Newcastle gets Poch and he is backed by Saudi money, it is inevitable that Newcastle will get into the Champions league and maybe also win the league. The only thing that might hinder that from happening is financial fair play rule.
:lol:
Inevitable.

hubbuh

Nuts to the Saudis, if Newcastle get Poch then they'll dominate the world forever. The great thing about Poch is, he's got the most delicious tasting bollox. Ain't that right, @Amadaeus?

Status
Not open for further replies.