Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Still they bought a lot of average players for a lot of money. Their transfer dealings have been pretty awful. On top of that they are losing promising youth players on free transfers.
The state of their league goes against them also. They'd be better off releasing most of their squad players to rival French teams to improve the quality of the league.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree, they don't seem to know how to shop for value. They've not adapted well to a system that doesn't allow them to just pay what they want to get their man.
Exactly and even though they have a get out of jail card with their academy and they somehow squander it season after season. PSG are on paper one of the easiest club to manage, their fanbase is big and loyal, they are the only big club in Iles de France and are a dream for many kids of the region. PSG should currently have at least the likes of Coman, Rabiot, Ikoné, Dembélé, Guendouzi and others, instead they wasted money on bang average players that are significantly inferior to the players they lose almost every season or significantly more expensive.

JPRouve

Scout
The state of their league goes against them also. They'd be better off releasing most of their squad players to rival French teams to improve the quality of the league.
Most of their players shouldn't start for other teams. Don't be confused, Monaco and Lyon failed in the last years but most PSG players aren't better than what Monaco, Lille and Lyon have. PSG have few key players that are world class but are surrounded by average Ligue 1 players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Getting to a Champions League final? Making spurs a consistent top four team for a few years? Vastly improving spurs squad and style of play? Yeh Ole has done just as much. Dont make me laugh. I like Ole and hope he continues to improve but with the same resources and players if Poch was in charge, we would definitely be better off and probably in the knockouts of CL.

Simple way to sum this up, if Poch leaves PSG he has alot of options of top clubs to go to. If Ole leaves he has what? Can you see him rocking up at any other top job? Nope. Thats the level of difference
He's lost more league games than Ole this season and Poch only started in December. And it's a tinpot league.

Poch isn't this world class manager he's been made out to be. He's just a decent manager no more. The English media have hyped him up to be something he isnt.

He had a better team than Leicester and couldnt win the league that year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
All the Ole out and Poch in lot suddenly realising how stupid they are. Love it.

Poch wouldn't achieve any better than Ole has for us. Not unless he's given about 500m
So when coach takes charge of a club during season, does that season counts or not? Does period before he buys at least 10 players counts or not?
Which is it then? You say one thing on Ole thread and other in this thread.

JPRouve

Scout
The obsession with Ole is very strange, he seems to be brought up in every threads for no good reason.

Cloud7

I'm still of the opinion that if you remove Mbappe and Neymar, this PSG side would struggle to get top 4 in the PL.
I agree with this. I remember watching a PSG match in the CL, I can't remember which one, and thought that if you took Neymar and Mbappe out of that lineup, that team looks awful. Like, upper midtable level bad. Which is criminal for a club with resources like that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
PSG have spent poorly. At one point they had a really good team that should have gone further in the CL. The Zlatan sides were better than the one currently.

Neymar and Mbappe’s transfers has made them weaker as they’ve had to make financial sacrifices. Verratti is world class but injured for crucial games, they have Marquinhos who is world class.

Full backs are average, I still don’t rate their midfield and outside the obvious attackers, they don’t scare me.

Eriku

The obsession with Ole is very strange, he seems to be brought up in every threads for no good reason.
Tbf it’s not that strange that he gets brought up in this thread, considering how many were lamenting us not firing Ole in favour of Poch.

JPRouve

Scout
PSG have spent poorly. At one point they had a really good team that should have gone further in the CL. The Zlatan sides were better than the one currently.

Neymar and Mbappe’s transfers has made them weaker as they’ve had to make financial sacrifices. Verratti is world class but injured for crucial games, they have Marquinhos who is world class.

Full backs are average, I still don’t rate their midfield and outside the obvious attackers, they don’t scare me.
Pretty much, the irony of PSG is that the manager that had the least respect, Blanc, is the one that managed to make PSG play cohesively. His PSG would destroy the current version despite Mbappé and Neymar.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Tbf it’s not that strange that he gets brought up in this thread, considering how many were lamenting us not firing Ole in favour of Poch.
It's extremely strange and it's not just in threads about Pochettino but every single threads were an other club or manager is mentioned. It has turned the football forum into a glorified twitter thread.

Fridge chutney

It's extremely strange and it's not just in threads about Pochettino but every single threads were an other club or manager is mentioned. It has turned the football forum into a glorified twitter thread.
I think Ole must have bedded half of the Cafs' wives/partners.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pretty much, the irony of PSG is that the manager that had the least respect, Blanc, is the one that managed to make PSG plays cohesively. His PSG would destroy the current version despite Mbappé and Neymar.
Matuidi doesn't seem to get the respect he deserved. His energy in midfield was vital for PSG in the CL. You look at that midfield now, Herrera, Paredes (a player I've rarely ever seen the point of) and Verratti. Motta and Matuidi linked the midfield a lot better.

Florenzi, who is a Roma favourite couldn't get in their side, is now at PSG who want to dominate Europe? Kean (who has done well) is going to shoot them to the CL? Icardi is largely redundant and then you have Draxler!

United are only one world class attacker away from being better than PSG in every department, well minus goalkeeper.

Eriku

Considering the current climate between Ole-in/Ole-out factions on this forum I would be surprised af to not find the comparison brought up in this thread. Totally agree that it’s annoying and OTT and is making the football forums absolutely unbearable at times.

Robbie Boy

Considering the current climate between Ole-in/Ole-out factions on this forum I would be surprised af to not find the comparison brought up in this thread. Totally agree that it’s annoying and OTT and is making the football forums absolutely unbearable at times.
Yup.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s won the french Community shield, and he’s done well in the champions league, but their league form will be a worry. Losing to Lille whilst starting Navas, Marquinhos, Neymar, Mbappe and Di Maria isn’t a good look for him. They can still win the league, and they should do, big questions will be asked otherwise.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So you responded to a post about Poch solely, to say youre not liking Ole vs Poch, but then make it about Ole vs Poch to defend Poch?

Interesting tactics

And yes, he is a coach. Hes been there over 3 months. Again, miracle-worker is expecting him to win every match after a few weeks in charge. How extremely different is his philsophy to Tuchel?
Its not like they went from Jose to Pep.

We cant use injuries and covid as an excuse as every team and manager goes through this.

The big result was Barca and he got big praise for that. So again, if hes getting praise for the wins, he should likewise get damned on some of the results and the way they are set up and play. A lot of reviews talk about him being reliant on individual quality rather than having some sort of element of a style of play, and three months in thats damning.
I'd love to see where in my post you see anything remotely close to making it about Ole vs Poch, I'll be right over here waiting on the edge of my seat.

As far as COVID and injuries, sure every team goes through this, and that's why it's been such a weird season with an asterisk on it in my opinion. Juventus who usually always dominates Serie A is now fighting just to get in top 4. Liverpool went from dominating the league to where they're at today. People who know nothing about Ligue 1 think that short of PSG being in a coma for three months, they'll win the league ever year. The problem is Lille has lost three games all season, that's the third best record in Europe and only two teams in the top 5 leagues have lost less than that. They deserve the respect of their performances, and PSG can't just sleepwalk their way to first place when a team is performing like this.

As far as Poch, as I said, I'm giving him the same chance I've given any manager, I want them to have a full pre-season, transfer window, and then see where they take the team. I felt the same way about Ole or any other new coach taking on a job. Talking about damning performances is silly after three months with very little continuation, injuries and suspensions, but it's also ignorant of what kind of shape PSG were in prior to him taking over.

Sylar

I'd love to see where in my post you see anything remotely close to making it about Ole vs Poch, I'll be right over here waiting on the edge of my seat.

As far as COVID and injuries, sure every team goes through this, and that's why it's been such a weird season with an asterisk on it in my opinion. Juventus who usually always dominates Serie A is now fighting just to get in top 4. Liverpool went from dominating the league to where they're at today. People who know nothing about Ligue 1 think that short of PSG being in a coma for three months, they'll win the league ever year. The problem is Lille has lost three games all season, that's the third best record in Europe and only two teams in the top 5 leagues have lost less than that. They deserve the respect of their performances, and PSG can't just sleepwalk their way to first place when a team is performing like this.

As far as Poch, as I said, I'm giving him the same chance I've given any manager, I want them to have a full pre-season, transfer window, and then see where they take the team. I felt the same way about Ole or any other new coach taking on a job. Talking about damning performances is silly after three months with very little continuation, injuries and suspensions, but it's also ignorant of what kind of shape PSG were in prior to him taking over.
The very fact that you mentioned ole v poch when I didnt. I mean you brought it up as some sort of way to justify your defence. Have you forgotten that?

Anyway Every team is different and some expect results straight away, it's the nature or the beast

Again, I have no feeling toward poch either way. For a team like psg who most said are close to complete, he hasn't taken them forward like you would expect bringing him in. (3 months is a good enough period to get an idea on the way he wants to play)
Again, nobody has been able to state what is his style with PSG and what is missing from completing it.

As I said he may still win the title and champions League and all of that won't matter, and sure I wont argue that's a fantastic job. But if we're judging him based on what he's done now so far it's not good and it's enough time to have made changes to the system to make them have some sort of style surely?
Or are we now saying this is a write off season for PSG?

You talk about the shape psg were in but what shape was that? What position were they? How far off the top were they? How many players were missing compared to now?

If he wins the title good on him from this situation but at the same time it's not like he's a Messiah. If however he wins the champions League he deserves a huge load of credit especially going through last year's winners over two legs and with some of the teams left.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The very fact that you mentioned ole v poch when I didnt. I mean you brought it up as some sort of way to justify your defence. Have you forgotten that?

Anyway Every team is different and some expect results straight away, it's the nature or the beast

Again, I have no feeling toward poch either way. For a team like psg who most said are close to complete, he hasn't taken them forward like you would expect bringing him in. (3 months is a good enough period to get an idea on the way he wants to play)
Again, nobody has been able to state what is his style with PSG and what is missing from completing it.

As I said he may still win the title and champions League and all of that won't matter, and sure I wont argue that's a fantastic job. But if we're judging him based on what he's done now so far it's not good and it's enough time to have made changes to the system to make them have some sort of style surely?
Or are we now saying this is a write off season for PSG?

You talk about the shape psg were in but what shape was that? What position were they? How far off the top were they? How many players were missing compared to now?

If he wins the title good on him from this situation but at the same time it's not like he's a Messiah. If however he wins the champions League he deserves a huge load of credit especially going through last year's winners over two legs and with some of the teams left.
I think there's a big difference between bringing up the fact that this thread gets bumped solely as an Ole vs Poch debate that I find dumb, and actually making it about Ole vs Poch as you've tried to suggest.

People can expect whatever they want, and you can have a coach that turns thing around for the first few weeks/months a la Ole and Tuchel, but at some point the honeymoon goes away and the team regresses back to the mean.

I have no feelings towards Poch either, I wasn't excited when I saw his hiring, because managers don't really excite me to begin with. As far as their shape before he took over, they weren't in first place then, and they're still not there today. Tuchel got fired because of performances in part, but mainly (at least I suspect) because he got on bad terms with Leonardo the sporting director and has rubbed some people the wrong way, as he tends to do over time at every club he's been in. Short of an absolute meltdown in the squad because of Poch, I don't see any way he gets fired by the end of the season, even if PSG win nothing else this year. He should be given the chance I'd like every manager to get, and see how they perform next season.

That being said, I don't think any season can be a write off, it's too easy to say that, but it's definitely a weird season across Europe as I mentioned in what you see in the French and other leagues around. The usual steamrollers aren't steamrolling teams, it's very hard to get any sort of continuity if your players are either injured or suspended. This whole team (PSG) is built around a player that can't stay healthy. I wonder where United would be if Bruno was always gone, it's the same concept with PSG. They've managed to beat a poor Barcelona side without him, but let's not have that trick people into thinking they're a solid team, they're simply poor and it would be a miracle for Poch to get them past Bayern, never mind into the final. I guess they could go as Real Madrid did in Zidane's third season where they're terrible in the league but somehow find a way to win in the CL, but it's very unlikely at this stage, and with the teams they are going to face in that competition.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So when coach takes charge of a club during season, does that season counts or not? Does period before he buys at least 10 players counts or not?
Which is it then? You say one thing on Ole thread and other in this thread.
He's taken charge in a pub league and lost more than Ole has despite the fact he only took over in December. That's woeful.

Imagine having more loyalty to a Argentinian manager who has achieved next to nothing than a club legend.

Sylar

I think there's a big difference between bringing up the fact that this thread gets bumped solely as an Ole vs Poch debate that I find dumb, and actually making it about Ole vs Poch as you've tried to suggest.

People can expect whatever they want, and you can have a coach that turns thing around for the first few weeks/months a la Ole and Tuchel, but at some point the honeymoon goes away and the team regresses back to the mean.

I have no feelings towards Poch either, I wasn't excited when I saw his hiring, because managers don't really excite me to begin with. As far as their shape before he took over, they weren't in first place then, and they're still not there today. Tuchel got fired because of performances in part, but mainly (at least I suspect) because he got on bad terms with Leonardo the sporting director and has rubbed some people the wrong way, as he tends to do over time at every club he's been in. Short of an absolute meltdown in the squad because of Poch, I don't see any way he gets fired by the end of the season, even if PSG win nothing else this year. He should be given the chance I'd like every manager to get, and see how they perform next season.

That being said, I don't think any season can be a write off, it's too easy to say that, but it's definitely a weird season across Europe as I mentioned in what you see in the French and other leagues around. The usual steamrollers aren't steamrolling teams, it's very hard to get any sort of continuity if your players are either injured or suspended. This whole team (PSG) is built around a player that can't stay healthy. I wonder where United would be if Bruno was always gone, it's the same concept with PSG. They've managed to beat a poor Barcelona side without him, but let's not have that trick people into thinking they're a solid team, they're simply poor and it would be a miracle for Poch to get them past Bayern, never mind into the final. I guess they could go as Real Madrid did in Zidane's third season where they're terrible in the league but somehow find a way to win in the CL, but it's very unlikely at this stage, and with the teams they are going to face in that competition.
But that's my point, you're so against ole vs poch that you bring it up when I certainly didn't

I know Tuchel got fired
But what shape were psg in? How far off first were they compared to now? What improvement has poch brought in so far?

We're talking about psg but then you mention other teams and compare with regards to players being healthy (United and Bruno included so is that you making a comparison with United and thus Ole? )

Psg aren't a one man team, surely that's not what you're saying with them being built around one player? I'm guessing the player you mean is Neymar?
If that's the case why hasn't poch changed that for when Neymar Isnt there? I'm baffled if you're saying he can't do that mid season

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But that's my point, you're so against ole vs poch that you bring it up when I certainly didn't

I know Tuchel got fired
But what shape were psg in? How far off first were they compared to now? What improvement has poch brought in so far?

We're talking about psg but then you mention other teams and compare with regards to players being healthy (United and Bruno included so is that you making a comparison with United and thus Ole? )

Psg aren't a one man team, surely that's not what you're saying with them being built around one player? I'm guessing the player you mean is Neymar?
If that's the case why hasn't poch changed that for when Neymar Isnt there? I'm baffled if you're saying he can't do that mid season
I'm bored with this.

JPRouve

Scout

I know Tuchel got fired

He has tried but he doesn't exactly have great players at his disposal, particularly in midfield. Outside of Mbappé, he has players that can and should lose to Monaco or Lille if they are not at 100% which is exactly what has happened. It's fair to critcize him and the team for theloses against Lorient and Nantes but the other two weren't surprising and shouldn't surprise anyone. Otherwise they are in my opinion more organized under Pochettino, more disciplined but you are not going to turn the likes of Gueye, Kehrer, Paredes or Pereira into anything else than painfully average players.

So in the end, today PSG aren't a juggernaut, they don't have the team for that and the defeats that they have are mainly predictable. If they bring better midfielders and also better fullbacks then we can talk about them being invincible.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A debate on a forum where you can't back up what you're saying so you bounce?

I for one am shocked
I've made my points, you seem to want to twist it into an Ole vs Poch thing that I've repeatedly said has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, it's beyond boring to repeat the same things since you can't seem to comprehend what I'm saying. So good luck to you, enjoy the rest of your day.

Sylar

He has tried but he doesn't exactly have great players at his disposal, particularly in midfield. Outside of Mbappé, he has players that can and should lose to Monaco or Lille if they are not at 100% which is exactly what has happened. It's fair to critcize him and the team for theloses against Lorient and Nantes but the other two weren't surprising and shouldn't surprise anyone. Otherwise they are in my opinion more organized under Pochettino, more disciplined but you are not going to turn the likes of Gueye, Kehrer, Paredes or Pereira into anything else than painfully average players.

So in the end, today PSG aren't a juggernaut, they don't have the team for that and the defeats that they have are mainly predictable. If they bring better midfielders and also better fullbacks then we can talk about them being invincible.
If the bolded is the case, then could it be argued the manager doesn't make much of a difference to them and they could have got somebody else?

Or are we saying with poch style they are missing 4/5 players still?

Sylar

I've made my points, you seem to want to twist it into an Ole vs Poch thing that I've repeatedly said has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, it's beyond boring to repeat the same things since you can't seem to comprehend what I'm saying. So good luck to you, enjoy the rest of your day.
For somebody who hates this thread being about poch vs ole you sure do say poch vs ole a lot.

Maybe you want it to be poch vs ole because you wanted poch at United?
Poch vs ole

JPRouve

Scout
If the bolded is the case, then could it be argued the manager doesn't make much of a difference to them and they could have got somebody else?

Or are we saying with poch style they are missing 4/5 players still?
No, they still need a good manager which both Pochettino and Tuchel are and of course they could have had someone else but outside of SAF I don't see any manager turn that team into a juggernaut.

PS: I don't understand the last question.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
For somebody who hates this thread being about poch vs ole you sure do say poch vs ole a lot.

Maybe you want it to be poch vs ole because you wanted poch at United?
Poch vs ole
Isn't Sayros a PSG fan? Why would they want Poch at Man Utd?

Sylar

No, they still need a good manager which both Pochettino and Tuchel are and of course they could have had someone else but outside of SAF I don't see any manager turn that team into a juggernaut.

PS: I don't understand the last question.
I didn't word it well

I meant regardless of manager are they still 4-5 players short? Or would it be more with an inferior manager and poch is stuck?

Isn't Sayros a PSG fan? Why would they want Poch at Man Utd?
Don't know, didn't have psg next to his name

Again I understand backing a current manager (I mean I did it with lvg and Jose with it being a losing battle) but if he is a PSG fan, I understand his bias despite what he may say

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's taken charge in a pub league and lost more than Ole has despite the fact he only took over in December. That's woeful.

Imagine having more loyalty to a Argentinian manager who has achieved next to nothing than a club legend.
Not that it is important but how many games Ole lost in his first year? You are comparing apples and oranges. Compare same timeline IF you are comparing them.
And loyalty to a manager? Again you with that shit. That is bs logic and especially from you who is bashing lots of our players. Why are not you "loyal" to them then? And what does that mean anyway? I am loyal to a club, not players or managers.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't know, didn't have psg next to his name

Again I understand backing a current manager (I mean I did it with lvg and Jose with it being a losing battle) but if he is a PSG fan, I understand his bias despite what he may say
I'm pretty sure he/she is and if so, why would they care who the Man Utd manager is?

They may be biased but I think this probably feeds into what JPRouve was saying. I totally understand why some of you get so protective of Ole and he's gotten a lot of flak, including from your own fans, a lot of it unfair.

But the atmosphere its created has basically made any manager thread on the board unreadable (other than the more established ones like Klopp/Pep/Conte etc) because its just full of Man Utd fans slagging off that manager, without any real nuance at all.

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't word it well

I meant regardless of manager are they still 4-5 players short? Or would it be more with an inferior manager and poch is stuck?
I see. Yes, they need 4 or 5 players anyway. Currently they have:

Kurzawa/Bernat/Kehrer/Florenzi/Bakker as fullbacks, none of them are high level players, Bernat is by far the best and he has done his knee. In theory they need a proper starter on both sides.
Verratti/Gueye/Paredes/Pereira/Herrera/Rafinha in midfield. That lot is just not possible, Verratti is the only good player, he is very good to the point where he makes the rest look decent but he is always injured or positive to covid.
Di Maria/Sarabia/Kean are the main options on the right wing. Di Maria is 33 and has seriously declined, Kean is a striker and Sarabia is at best a decent backup.
Icardi/Kean are the center forward options, I personally like Kean but he isn't a great player yet while I don't like Icardi at all, he is a hyped up Chicharito.

In order to be a juggernaut, they would need to improve on at least half of these positions, so at least 3-4 players.

Sylar

I'm pretty sure he/she is and if so, why would they care who the Man Utd manager is?

They may be biased but I think this probably feeds into what JPRouve was saying. I totally understand why some of you get so protective of Ole and he's gotten a lot of flak, including from your own fans, a lot of it unfair.

But the atmosphere its created has basically made any manager thread on the board unreadable (other than the more established ones like Klopp/Pep/Conte etc) because its just full of Man Utd fans slagging off that manager, without any real nuance at all.
Well obviously they wouldn't as I obviously thought he was a United fan?

I don't get your comments directed at me? You might be making a general comment anyway, but Where have I mentioned
I haven't once mentioned another manager or team in the Poch thread and my comments have been specifically about Poch and his time so far at PSG and what's expected of him this season

I don't care either way if Poch does well unless it leads to him becoming a future United manager, but for now I thought he would do better than he is (and as stated a few times he could still end up winning two more titles)
I've yet to understand from the games of psg I've seen with poch in charge what he's trying to accomplish
I certainly am not writing him off but just judging him on his time so far which I thought would be the point of this thread?

I see. Yes, they need 4 or 5 players anyway. Currently they have:

Kurzawa/Bernat/Kehrer/Florenzi/Bakker as fullbacks, none of them are high level players, Bernat is by far the best and he has done his knee. In theory they need a proper starter on both sides.
Verratti/Gueye/Paredes/Pereira/Herrera/Rafinha in midfield. That lot is just not possible, Verratti is the only good player, he is very good to the point where he makes the rest look decent but he is always injured or positive to covid.
Di Maria/Sarabia/Kean are the main options on the right wing. Di Maria is 33 and has seriously declined, Kean is a striker and Sarabia is at best a decent backup.
Icardi/Kean are the center forward options, I personally like Kean but he isn't a great player yet while I don't like Icardi at all, he is a hyped up Chicharito.

In order to be a juggernaut, they would need to improve on at least half of these positions, so at least 3-4 players.
I assume you've watched more psg games than me especially in terms of their league games, but what style is he trying to implement? How close is it to Spurs?
I liked some of the football he had Spurs playing with the press and the use of fullbacks

JPRouve

Scout
assume you've watched more psg games than me especially in terms of their league games, but what style is he trying to implement? How close is it to Spurs?
I liked some of the football he had Spurs playing with the press and the use of fullbacks
He is trying to something close to what he did with Spurs and Southampton. With Neymar having a bit more freedom than his previous players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not that it is important but how many games Ole lost in his first year? You are comparing apples and oranges. Compare same timeline IF you are comparing them.
And loyalty to a manager? Again you with that shit. That is bs logic and especially from you who is bashing lots of our players. Why are not you "loyal" to them then? And what does that mean anyway? I am loyal to a club, not players or managers.
You're bashing a manager that came 3rd and is on course to now come 2nd. All that with a team that's not a PL title winning one.

That's the difference. I'm having a go at players who are massively underperforming. Ole isn't underperforming. This is around where I thought we would be more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.