Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It isn't overlooked but at the end of the day, to be considered top or near top you have to win the league or the CL.
What Bielsa and Moyes are doing is more impressive than what even Pep has done I feel but we know that Pep is gonna win the manager of the year award.
Yea to be the best manager, Pochettino will have to win the champions league. If psg boards back him in the summer with a lot of cash, I can see that happening.

always_hoping

Yeah with Bayern missing Lewa, Tolisso, Gnabry, D Costa..
Let's not overhype the great Poch
All he ever does is overhype him. Some perspective is always needed, Barcelona a long way from the level they were under Pep. Bayern Munich would not have won last seasons Champion league if Lewandowski, Gnabry weren't available matter of fact when both played against a Poch managed team they scored 6 goals between them in a 7-2 win.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He set up team much better in this one compared to the last one, first tie they pretty much got lucky, not the case today, clearly learned something from the first game.

Though sure, Bayern missed several players.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
All he ever does is overhype him. Some perspective is always needed, Barcelona a long way from the level they were under Pep. Bayern Munich would not have won last seasons Champion league if Lewandowski, Gnabry weren't available matter of fact when both played against a Poch managed team they scored 6 goals between them in a 7-2 win.
Hippopotamusacrisy.

OleBoiii

Plenty of world class individual brilliance up front + a counter attacking approach to the game seems to do wonders for him.

Let's see if he can actually win a big trophy. He'll probably never have a better chance than with this team.

tomaldinho1

He set up team much better in this one compared to the last one, first tie they pretty much got lucky, not the case today, clearly learned something from the first game.

Though sure, Bayern missed several players.
Marquinhos, Verrati, Icardi, Bernat... PSG also have some big guys out. It was a great game, PSG could have scored about 5 goals, Bayern could have scored a load first leg....let's just celebrate two teams who try to score goals and gave us some great entertainment.

tomaldinho1

Do they ever seem to have a full strength team?
Someone always appears to be injured.
This season I swear every team is just fielding whatever they can at this stage. United have been pretty lucky actually, hopefully we can keep that going to the end of the season.

90 + 5min

Unbelievable. He knocked out the best team in Europe and should have destroyed them in the second leg, if psg were more clinical. 9 out of 10 times, psg would have won that second leg by three goals or more with the chances they had. Who can argue that Pochettino isn’t one of the top two managers in football now? Now if they want to win this competition, they would need to get Marquinho, Verrati and iquardi back. You can’t argue that Pochettino had an easy ride so far after knocking out Barcelona and Bayern.
Is this some kind of joke? Pochettino is far, far from being top two managers in the world. Good yes, world class? He has long way to go.

If Bayern had their team full they would have scored 5 goals against PSG In both legs. In both games Bayern were dominant and should have gone through. Reminds me when Tottenham somehow beat Ajax in CL despite Ajax destroying Tottenham.

AgentSmith

Is this some kind of joke? Pochettino is far, far from being top two managers in the world. Good yes, world class? He has long way to go.

If Bayern had their team full they would have scored 5 goals against PSG In both legs. In both games Bayern were dominant and should have gone through. Reminds me when Tottenham somehow beat Ajax in CL despite Ajax destroying Tottenham.
Did you actually watch the game tonight?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Mauricio Pochettino has now won five straight two-legged knockout ties in the #UCL

Dortmund
Man City
Ajax
Barcelona
Bayern Munich

90 + 5min

Did you actually watch the game tonight?
Yes I did. It is not always about amount of chances. It is overall game. I would think that Bayern had more shots and maybe more possesion looking at the game. PSG did tacticly good by waiting for there chances but for me Bayern were better team.

AgentSmith

Yes I did. It is not always about amount of chances. It is overall game. I would think that Bayern had more shots and maybe more possesion looking at the game. PSG did tacticly good by waiting for there chances but for me Bayern were better team.
I just struggle to see how Bayern could be described as dominant given the number of chances they gave away relative to the actual lack of opportunities they created themselves. They were definitely dominant in the first leg but if anything PSG dominated them tonight.

Which is pretty ironic given the score lines in each game - both teams got the better of the games they lost.

passing-wind

Agree with the initial point but disagree with the latter. If Poch wins a domestic and a UCL he would have to be considered world class, those accomplishments alone would put him just behind Pep / Klopp in my opinion (including the work he did with Spurs).

RooneyLegend

He's got two players who might be the 2 best players in the world, he should be licking his lips at the prospect of getting his hands on the big ears.

Did really well this game, Peredes really helped them by being back which meant they had more confidence on the ball. Also helped that their work on the counter last week made Bayern have a more cautious approach.

Suedesi

I just struggle to see how Bayern could be described as dominant given the number of chances they gave away relative to the actual lack of opportunities they created themselves. They were definitely dominant in the first leg but if anything PSG dominated them tonight.

Which is pretty ironic given the score lines in each game - both teams got the better of the games they lost.
Counterattacking football is not dominating football bruh

Wilt

All this stupid slating of Pochettino :lol:

if City and Liverpool join Chelsea in the semi‘s ....they‘ll all be praying PSG win the CL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nobody likes to see PSG winning but considering the alternatives
Livepool - feck off
Chelsea - nope
City - feck off
Madrid - number 14? Go away

Chuck it, I'm happy backing them to go all the way. Neymar and Mbappe, all board the PSG hype train! Or something.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Unbelievable. He knocked out the best team in Europe and should have destroyed them in the second leg, if psg were more clinical. 9 out of 10 times, psg would have won that second leg by three goals or more with the chances they had. Who can argue that Pochettino isn’t one of the top two managers in football now? Now if they want to win this competition, they would need to get Marquinho, Verrati and iquardi back. You can’t argue that Pochettino had an easy ride so far after knocking out Barcelona and Bayern.
Yes! Love it. Since 2013, after the knowledge of Sir Alex's retirement, he's been 2nd to Pep in managers I've wanted here, and I'm rooting for him to win the CL.

Even before 2013 he made an admirer out of Pep with the clashes between Barca and Espanyol.

Mauricio Pochettino has now won five straight two-legged knockout ties in the #UCL

Dortmund
Man City
Ajax
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Not to forget he had Tottenham going toe-to-toe with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus despite not coming out on top.

MinGin

Seriously? are Pep and Klopp be the captioned top two managers? Then you should count Zidane and Flick in this tier according to your standard. Pochettino has a long way to become a one of the top managers. Let's see the rebuild work after Mbappé leave.
But, he is the one of the top two managers in terms of luck. He faced a top team when a Top Top World Class Striker was injured. Can we count this Bayern as a best team in Europe without Lewandowski, half of Start XI Injured and 7 out of 12 available bench?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good achievement, knocking out Bayern. Hopefully PSG wins the CL this year.

gajender

Seriously? are Pep and Klopp be the captioned top two managers? Then you should count Zidane and Flick in this tier according to your standard. Pochettino has a long way to become a one of the top managers. Let's see the rebuild work after Mbappé leave.
But, he is the one of the top two managers in terms of luck. He faced a top team when a Top Top World Class Striker was injured. Can we count this Bayern as a best team in Europe without Lewandowski, half of Start XI Injured and 7 out of 12 available bench?
Psg had injury problems of their own and if you are objective enough Psg team barring few great individuals is full of some real average players .
So yes eliminating Barca and Bayern one after the another irrespective of their state is quite impressive considering Psg aren't brimming with quality either.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would be funny if Poch first trophy after all these year struggling to win one, is a CL.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
PSG were missing their best midfielder and best defender too tbf.
Lewandowski is the Balon Dor guy.

Every time Bayern entered the final third they looked completely lost at what to do. Crossing it in to whoever was there before the receiver has a poor first touch bouncing the ball off him or the defender. Bayern wingers (Sane is much worse than Gnabry) was dribbling and dribbling before making a pass back to the attacking midfielders because their striker was not easy to find.

Anyway I cant be bothered to talk about this in a Pochettino thread.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Every time Bayern entered the final third they looked completely lost at what to do. Crossing it in to whoever was there before the receiver has a poor first touch bouncing the ball off him or the defender. Bayern wingers (Sane is much worse than Gnabry) was dribbling and dribbling before making a pass back to the attacking midfielders because their striker was not easy to find.

Then why did you mention it all in the first place? Weird.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

When did this happen?

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's ignored this post. :lol:
Why bother replying? Poch joined halfway through the season with PSG 3rd. They're now second after successively knocking out Barcelona and Bayern Munich in Europe on top of that.

@Amadaeus , keep up the excellent work in this thread!
@Bebestation just hates seeing Poch praised.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because people were saying that PSG was the better team when in my eyes they were the counter attacking team that got opportunities because the Bayern forward line kept on losing the ball after poor crosses or not bring able to find another player in the box like Lewandowski. PSG were also not clinical but they had Mbappe and Neymar missing chances or hitting the post. Lewandowski would have made the difference due to his world class runs as a striker.

@Yagami

I dont hate seeing Pochettino being praised, I liked him as a manager at Spurs and was happy for us to get him as our next manager. I just dont like people over praising him as a way of trying to say Ole is crap though.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Even if he wins the CL people on here will act as if he isn’t a great manager.

PSG will be set up to give City a tough game on paper.

Micky Targaryen

Typical of the caf to deny any credit to an impressive UCL win if it's a manager they're not keen on.

1) Poch is lucky because Bayern had some key injuries.
2) PSG weren't dominating the game.
3) PSG should've lost if Bayern converted their chances.
4) Poch only relies on individual brilliance.
5) Even if Poch wins the UCL, he still isn't world class.

After reading out all the excuses out loud, do you even feel like a teenage school girl now?

Grow up folks, give credit where credit is due. Knocking out Bayern is a huge feat, and Poch deserves the praise, no matter how irrational your hate towards him is.

And by the way, the list of excuses has been used against Ole at some point too, to put things into perspective.

MinGin

Even if he wins the CL people on here will act as if he isn’t a great manager.

PSG will be set up to give City a tough game on paper.
According to the concept from some people in this forum, he isn't
Some concept i heard from here,
1. He set a counter attack which is not counted as a style of play. Failed
2. He cannot dominant the game with high possession. Failed
3. He is relied on individual quantity. Failed
4. He set a low block against a Top team. Failed

Well, i do think he is a great manager. But it need time to see how successful of his PSG team when he can spend big.

90 + 5min

Being counterattacked doesn’t mean you worse. Despite chances. PSG found the way to beat Bayern and credit to them. As I mentioned, it looked like Ajax Tottenham.

Agree with the initial point but disagree with the latter. If Poch wins a domestic and a UCL he would have to be considered world class, those accomplishments alone would put him just behind Pep / Klopp in my opinion (including the work he did with Spurs).
If he wins one or two trophies credit to him. But way to go before We talk about world class. One season doesn’t make you king of the Castle. You need to be winning little more.

jetlee

PSG played a lot better today, so I would say on balance of the 2 ties there wasn't much in it, and both teams could have progressed.
Good for Poch, now just the small matter of knocking out City remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.