Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Poch to PSG? Thank f-k for that. Now I won't have to listen to the Ole outs crying for him after every setback. He also might actually win something!

Godfather

Is this now where Ole goes on an horrendous run, gets sacked and both Poch and TT have been snapped up so we end up with Graham Potter?
The best options are still out there anyway. Never really favoured Poch. Hope he joins PSG

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Poch to PSG? Thank f-k for that. Now I won't have to listen to the Ole outs crying for him after every setback. He also might actually win something!
You absolutely, most definitely (IMO) would have been better off with Poch though. I dont think that's a debate

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fun stat I heard on Totally Football Weekly - if you look at the expected point total Spurs are estimated to achieve from this point onwards, it's lower than Poch's last 4 full seasons in charge of the club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You absolutely, most definitely (IMO) would have been better off with Poch though. I dont think that's a debate
If it was 'definite' and 'not even a debate' that we would be better then he would be here.

alexthelion

We have let another top manager pass us by. I hope we don't live to regret this decision. Ole surely has to get us some trophy this year.
Why couldn't Poch win anything with a better team? Surely we don't want such a bad manager?

always_hoping

The Poch to United by English journalists has been ridiculous clickbait nonsense in the last 12 months. The same journalists will now be hyping him up further if he wins a league title that Graham Potter would likely win for PSG.

Irrational.

FFS. :(

As usual, we’ll probably wait until everything is mathematically impossible and no one else is available before sacking Ole, and probably end up with another caretaker manager in charge. We’re just not proactive enough when good managers become available.

He can’t win with some Poch, win at PsG and “Graham Potter could win there”.

I would wait if I was him I’d wait for a better option, although he’s likely done that for United so is bored of waiting.

always_hoping

Fun stat I heard on Totally Football Weekly - if you look at the expected point total Spurs are estimated to achieve from this point onwards, it's lower than Poch's last 4 full seasons in charge of the club.
In 3 of Poch full seasons with Spurs they got 64,70 and 71 points. The type of points totals that Jose should reach with Spurs this season in his first full season at the club.

Poch domestic cup record with Spurs.

2014/15 - beaten by Chelsea in the league cup final, FA Cup 4th round exit to Leicester at home

2015/16 - 3rd round league cup exit at home to Arsenal, 5th round FA Cup exit to Palace at home

2016/17 - semi final exit to Chelsea in the Fa cup, 4th round league Cup exit to Liverpool

2017/18 - semi exit to Man United in the FA Cup, 4th round league Cup exit to West ham

2018/19 - FA Cup 4th round exit to Palace, league Cup semi final exit to Chelsea

2019 - 3rd round league Cup exit to Colchester United.

No domestic trophy as well documented and just 1 final appearance from 11 attempts. Outside of the 2019 CL final appearance his European (CL and EL) record was far from great either.

alexthelion

FFS. :(

As usual, we’ll probably wait until everything is mathematically impossible and no one else is available before sacking Ole, and probably end up with another caretaker manager in charge. We’re just not proactive enough when good managers become available.
We already appear to have one, why would we change him?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In 3 of Poch full seasons with Spurs they got 64,70 and 71 points. The type of points totals that Jose should reach with Spurs this season in his first full season at the club.

Poch domestic cup record with Spurs.

2014/15 - beaten by Chelsea in the league cup final, FA Cup 4th round exit to Leicester at home

2015/16 - 3rd round league cup exit at home to Arsenal, 5th round FA Cup exit to Palace at home

2016/17 - semi final exit to Chelsea in the Fa cup, 4th round league Cup exit to Liverpool

2017/18 - semi exit to Man United in the FA Cup, 4th round league Cup exit to West ham

2018/19 - FA Cup 4th round exit to Palace, league Cup semi final exit to Chelsea

2019 - 3rd round league Cup exit to Colchester United.

No domestic trophy as well documented and just 1 final appearance from 11 attempts. Outside of the 2019 CL final appearance his European (CL and EL) record was far from great either.
The bold teams are fair enough though, I mean he faced sides that just invested much more into their team than what he could. And the underlined bit is a quite a big thing to just segregate from the stats.

I'm not saying Poch is faultless obviously - he should have at least got to an FA Cup final (I ignore any carabao cup performance generally, for any team, even ours. I think that cup is generally wank anyway). The failure to get to more finals or win a cup will be a blot on his career until he goes on to win titles.

Also I strongly doubt Jose will take Spurs to the point tally height that Poch could take them to (86 points).

Tyrion

Is this now where Ole goes on an horrendous run, gets sacked and both Poch and TT have been snapped up so we end up with Graham Potter?
That's actually my concern.

You know that, virtually every non-United fan and many United fans know that. But try telling that to some of the people on here. It shouldn't be a debate but they will argue it anyway.

As far as they're concerned, Poch didnt win the league with Spurs so he's useless while OGS is unbeaten in his 0 Premier League title runs so he's clearly the better choice.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That's actually my concern.

You know that, virtually every non-United fan and many United fans know that. But try telling that to some of the people on here. It shouldn't be a debate but they will argue it anyway.

As far as they're concerned, Poch didnt win the league with Spurs so he's useless while OGS is unbeaten in his 0 Premier League title runs so he's clearly the better choice.
And according to some on here Ole is a PE teacher who wouldn’t get a job anywhere else but yet here he is high in the PL, a game on hand to possibly go just 2 behind Liverpool and playing some of the best football we’ve seen since fergie

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would it be fair to say they've had mostly the same group of players now under two managers and now getting their third? I'm not disputing you can't get more out of these players, but have they recruited well since Mbappe and Neymar?

NYAS

If I were him I’d go for Pogba and Eriksen. They need to plan for life without Mbappe and Neymar (expecting both to leave this or next summer) and need to get some creativity.

always_hoping

The bold teams are fair enough though, I mean he faced sides that just invested much more into their team than what he could. And the underlined bit is a quite a big thing to just segregate from the stats.

I'm not saying Poch is faultless obviously - he should have at least got to an FA Cup final (I ignore any carabao cup performance generally, for any team, even ours. I think that cup is generally wank anyway). The failure to get to more finals or win a cup will be a blot on his career until he goes on to win titles.

Also I strongly doubt Jose will take Spurs to the point tally height that Poch could take them to (86 points).
The League cup is mainly there for clubs such as Tottenham to pick up a bit of silverware and Jose will be going all out all to land the league cup for them this April.

I doubt it also as the top 6 this season and years ahead will be stronger than the teams in the top 6 that finished below Spurs in 2016/17.

troylocker

Now we’ll see how good he is. No excuses in any competitions now. With those owners and that squad he won’t get much time. Must hit the ground running, win everything domesticly and make a deep run in the CL. Anything else would be considered a failure.

youngrell

I wouldn’t worry if I was hoping to see him at United. It’s PSG, he’ll likely be available again by May 2022.

stu_1992

Why are so many people in here absolutely sickened? We're in a better position than we have been in years right now, there's absolutely no need to be expecting things to go to shite from here. I'm not saying we're guaranteed success, but I saying that statement would be true if we had Poch too. Congrats to him if he gets a job that'll put him in a position to win trophies. Meanwhile I'm happy watching us improve and hopefully getting back to the top. The day the progress stops and we start to regress is when we can ask questions like this. Right now thr only sign is progress. Let's see where we can go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The League cup is mainly there for clubs such as Tottenham to pick up a bit of silverware and Jose will be going all out all to land the league cup for them this April.

I doubt it also as the top 6 this season and years ahead will be stronger than the teams in the top 6 that finished below Spurs in 2016/17.
The league cup is there for TV $$ and nothing else. The prize money for winning the league cup makes it pointless. Guardiola mentioned it when he came that it wouldn't be a terrible thing if it was scrapped and most teams play shit teams (I don't blame them). It's used as a chance to rotate squads, and yeah I just think it's a pile of wank personally.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Now we’ll see how good he is. No excuses in any competitions now. With those owners and that squad he won’t get much time. Must hit the ground running, win everything domesticly and make a deep run in the CL. Anything else would be considered a failure.
Needs more than that. Winning the league isn’t success at all. He needs to win his thay and the Champions League to show he has improved what he inherited.

Else he has stood still and it’s failure.

lex talionis

Bullet dodged.

If Poch couldn’t handle Spurs he definitely would have been overwhelmed s by the cauldron at United. He’s a good manager, but there was never any reason to believe he would bring trophies to Old Trafford. Perhaps the experience he’ll gain at the Parc de Princes may come in handy in 2-3 years, by which time we can expect his tenure with PSG to come to an abrupt end.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bullet dodged.

If Poch couldn’t handle Spurs he definitely would have been overwhelmed s by the cauldron at United. He’s a good manager, but there was never any reason to believe he would bring trophies to Old Trafford. Perhaps the experience he’ll gain at the Parc de Princes may come in handy in 2-3 years, by which time we can expect his tenure with PSG to come to an abrupt end.
Now he couldnt handle Spurs... right ok

Holocene

Bullet dodged.

There's some shite that gets written on this site at times.

lex talionis

Now he couldnt handle Spurs... right ok
Was he in fact not sacked? If Poch instead resigned in protest (pretty sure he was sacked, but I’m open to being corrected) then that’s a different matter. Either way, he did not win any trophies for Spurs. There’s a big difference between getting your club close to the trophy cabinet and going inside it.

RedDevil@84

Bullet dodged.

I think Poch coming here will be a right mess, mainly because of our management who are unpredictable and ditch the manager any window.
Also I don't think Poch was worth enough to fire Ole immediately, just in order to get him.

Having said all that, the bolded part is outright hilarious.

lex talionis

I think Poch coming here will be a right mess, mainly because of our management who are unpredictable and ditch the manager any window.
Also I don't think Poch was worth enough to fire Ole immediately, just in order to get him.

Having said all that, the bolded part is outright hilarious.
Perhaps we can find a different expression to convey the fact, and it is a fact, that Spurs sacked Pochettino and that no club until today has expressed any serious in hiring him. PSG dominate a lesser league — the term often used here is farmer’s league — and they believe they’ve found their man. Good for PSG. But I hope no one here cries in their beer that we missed out on Pochettino, a manager who of undeniably lifted Spurs from a top six club to a top four club, but also undeniably was sacked by Spurs, a club which isn’t exactly at the level of Real or Barcelona.

I hope no one here on the caf has ever once defended Pochettino’s decision to drop Lucas Moura, who had just scored a hat trick in the SF, in favor of Kane, whom any blind man could see was not fit for the CL final. That’s what I mean by handling the pressure. Pochettino went with the name player who clearly hobbling over a player in outrageous form.

He’ll continue to win domestic trophies for PSG, so fair play to him for landing this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.