Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Where did you get that from? I've never heard it.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55436532

As a former player who enjoyed two and a half seasons at PSG, the decision to take the job may well be a no-brainer, but that's a long way from saying it is going to be a walk in the park, as the former incumbent at the club Thomas Tuchel would no doubt tell him.

Tuchel had already told the club he wasn't going to be staying on next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Uhmm ok, thanks for the source. This news never made it to Francen I'm not sure why a spanish columnist would have it.
The news was behind a paywall in Le Parisien in early December.

Acole9

Outstanding
The contract length is interesting. I wonder if there's another club he's waiting for and maybe thinks an opportunity may rise then. Use PSG as a bit of a stop gap, keep going and maybe add some trophies to his cv.

JPRouve

Scout
The contract length is interesting. I wonder if there's another club he's waiting for and maybe thinks an opportunity may rise then. Use PSG as a bit of a stop gap, keep going and maybe add some trophies to his cv.
The contract length is PSG's typical structure.

MetoTTT

The contract length is PSG's typical structure.
True but that's why Ancelotti walked away because they didn't renew his contract early.
Poch doesn't look happy but it was PSG or nothing better atm.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
True but that's why Ancelotti walked away because they didn't renew his contract early.
Ancelotti walked away because he wanted to coach Real Madrid. The rest was PR bullsh*t to cover that up.

JPRouve

Scout
No that's not why he left. He left because he was tired of the constant scrutiny and pressure for immediate results from the hierarchy.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That was the offer on the table. Like he would turn down 3 years multimillion contract guaranteed for example.

RashyForPM

We won't unless we get a CB in. So we'll know within three weeks.
Think there’s no chance we get a CB in this month unfortunately. Our targets are either still in the CL or totally unattainable in January (Upamecano etc). Also, due to our current league position, fans aren’t putting pressure on the board to make big recruits. Romano has said he thinks Diallo won’t be the only arrival this month, but the other will probably be Caicedo.

Still though, while our defence, especially lads like Lindelof unfortunately (Maguire has improved drastically imo), can derail any title challenge, so can Pool’s patched up one with a youngster paired with a natural DM. It looks like they might be signing that Botman guy, but he’ll have to adapt to the PL, which will take some time.

el3mel

Apparently he drew his first game in charge today 1-1. Lyon are leading the table with 3 points gap away from PSG in second spot.

Last edited:

spiriticon

It isn't possible to go to PSG and not win the league at least once surely

saivet

Didn't watch it but 63% possession...to St Etienne according to Live Score.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Didn't watch it but 63% possession...to St Etienne according to Live Score.
31-69 in PSG's favour according to everywhere else. Use FlashScore.

I did watch a bit of it but turned it off when Mbappe messed up two attacks trying to do silly flicks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Neymar actually injured then? I assumed with his annual lockdown party French league wasn't starting up again for a few weeks.

Surely he should've been requested to stay in Paris and rehab?

always_hoping

Apparently he drew his first game in charge today 1-1. Lyon are leading the table with 3 points gap away from PSG in second spot.
Last thing PSG will want is Poch to continue his away league record in his last year with Spurs

P14 W2 D3 L9

PieCrust

What basically amounts to a 1 year deal really hamstrings Poch with the players. If they don't agree with his methods or tactics, quite easy just to ignore and wait him out. Certainly not a contract that sets anyone up for success.

el3mel

The goal they conceded was terrible defending.

Thought St Etienne manager looked familiar, returned to check the name and I found he was was Claude Paul who managed Leicester before Rodgers.

ti vu

What basically amounts to a 1 year deal really hamstrings Poch with the players. If they don't agree with his methods or tactics, quite easy just to ignore and wait him out. Certainly not a contract that sets anyone up for success.
That's how these manager grinding clubs do. Even with 3 years contract at Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern..., it means very little in reality. Managers can get sacked months into their first season if result is not as expected.

Managers have to do their homework before accepting the offer. They're to work with (great) players already at the club to achieve whatever the expectation laid out at negotiation table. Then adding to the squad. Criticizing cheque book managers all you want. They know the nature of their job, so they make demand, time and pick their job to minimize the risk. It's not their job to oversee a long term plan. It's DoF'a job.

troylocker

At least he managed a draw on his "new manager bounce" against a strong 14th placed St Etienne who's won 1 in 15 games since mid September.

I think he is a good manager and a likable guy, but if he doesn't win the league with the squad and resources at his disposal in PSG, I wouldn't bet on him to ever win anything.
PSGs squadvalue 770M pounds (80M more than us) vs ST Etienne 79M pounds, 13 clubs in that league on less than 100M and the closest rival, Lyon, on 305M (would be 10th in the PL between Wolves and Villa), tells the story of the power balance in Ligue 1. Anything other than walking the league would be a total failure.

MattofManchester

PSG seems a bad move for him. The players he'll have are the complete opposite of what he had at Spurs.

Dont think they'll take to him nor he to them.

el3mel

At least he managed a draw on his "new manager bounce" against a strong 14th placed St Etienne who's won 1 in 15 games since mid September.

I think he is a good manager and a likable guy, but if he doesn't win the league with the squad and resources at his disposal in PSG, I wouldn't bet on him to ever win anything.
PSGs squadvalue 770M pounds (80M more than us) vs ST Etienne 79M pounds, 13 clubs in that league on less than 100M and the closest rival, Lyon, on 305M (would be 10th in the PL between Wolves and Villa), tells the story of the power balance in Ligue 1. Anything other than walking the league would be a total failure.
They were 3rd when he got the job and they have lost 4 games in the league Tuchel, while Lyon only lost one and Lille in 3rd lost two. Winning the league this season isn't really as easy as people are making it out to be.

troylocker

They were 3rd when he got the job and they have lost 4 games in the league Tuchel, while Lyon only lost one and Lille in 3rd lost two. Winning the league this season isn't really as easy as people are making it out to be.
They were 3rd, yes, just but 1 point behind the top with 21 games left to play, anything but the title would be a massive failure for them. It should not be an impossible task with that squad in that league, for any half decent manager really, don't you think? And yes, they were underperforming in the league with Tuchel this season.
I obviously believe that Poch will win it, and I think he is a good manager, but he didn't make it any easier for himself by not winning against a weak St Etienne yesterday. He will have to win the CL with PSG to be considered a success there.

el3mel

They were 3rd, yes, just but 1 point behind the top with 21 games left to play, anything but the title would be a massive failure for them. It should not be an impossible task with that squad in that league, for any half decent manager really, don't you think? And yes, they were underperforming in the league with Tuchel this season.
I obviously believe that Poch will win it, and I think he is a good manager, but he didn't make it any easier for himself by not winning against a weak St Etienne yesterday. He will have to win the CL with PSG to be considered a success there.
No one disagree that losing the league would be a failure for PSG's standards, but winning it this season won't be as easy as people think it's otherwise they wouldn't have sacked Tuchel if things were going alright. They have a big fight ahead of them this season.

Disagree about the CL part. Really no club should base manager's success or not based on winning the toughest cup competition in the world! They were lucky with the one leg tie last season to reach the final but looking at their main lineup from yesterday's game, I'll honestly be surprised if they manage to reach the final again within the next few years with the 2 legs format back.

troylocker

No one disagree that losing the league would be a failure for PSG's standards, but winning it this season won't be as easy as people think it's otherwise they wouldn't have sacked Tuchel if things were going alright. They have a big fight ahead of them this season.

Disagree about the CL part. Really no club should base manager's success or not based on winning the toughest cup competition in the world! They were lucky with the one leg tie last season to reach the final but looking at their main lineup from yesterday's game, I'll honestly be surprised if they manage to reach the final again within the next few years with the 2 legs format back.
My point with the CL part was that there are probably quite a few managers capable of winning domestic competitions with the squad and resources PSG has compared to the rest of the french teams. PSG has not invested like they have to just win the french cup and ligue 1. If he wants to prove he is a tier 1 manager, that's what he needs to do. It's a very hard task, and it takes a world class manager to do it. Time will tell.

el3mel

My point with the CL part was that there are probably quite a few managers capable of winning domestic competitions with the squad and resources PSG has compared to the rest of the french teams. PSG has not invested like they have to just win the french cup and ligue 1. If he wants to prove he is a tier 1 manager, that's what he needs to do. It's a very hard task, and it takes a world class manager to do it. Time will tell.
PSG have been trying to win CL for so many years now and still can't. I'm not sure it has been all the previous managers' fault. I don't see CL winners in them no matter how they try, but time will tell.

troylocker

PSG have been trying to win CL for so many years now and still can't. I'm not sure it has been all the previous managers' fault. I don't see CL winners in them no matter how they try, but time will tell.
They have just fired their last manager after reaching the CL final and dominated french football since he arrived for trailing the top of the league by 1 point... Let's agree that domestic dominance and winning the league is the minimum of what is required for Poch to keep his job. Winning the CL is not expected, but that is their goal. If he doesn't win it or at least has a couple or real goes at it, he will be just another manager who didn't get them to the next level.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's the toughest club competition to win, but I have no doubts someday PSG will win it themselves, it's a matter of when rather than if IMO. The thing is, this season is a terrible season to start football. Not just at PSG, but several clubs you can see players that weren't ready to get started again, the lack of fans in the stands and teammates in and out because of COVID/injuries due to poor preparation, it all makes this season a shit show IMO. I'm hoping things start to settle in this month, but Poch has a tough job ahead of him. Di Maria looks past it, Neymar is one injury away from derailing the season, Mbappe has a contract running out, I'm waiting for Icardi's face to show up on milk cartons, there's just a lot going on that he's going to have to deal with. This is not an easy job he has decided to take up, especially this season more than any other.

el3mel

They have just fired their last manager after reaching the CL final and dominated french football since he arrived for trailing the top of the league by 1 point... Let's agree that domestic dominance and winning the league is the minimum of what is required for Poch to keep his job. Winning the CL is not expected, but that is their goal. If he doesn't win it or at least has a couple or real goes at it, he will be just another manager who didn't get them to the next level.
As I said I think they have been really lucky with the one leg format last season, facing Atalanta and RB in one leg match helps.

It's true though, winning CL has been PSG's biggest target for several years since they started dominating French football, but they have failed big time in achieving this target for many years and last season was pretty much the only time they actually managed to get past QF iirc. I don't think this has been all their managers' faults that the club seems to be unable to take the next step and win CL.

Poch's current target should be to win the current league as I think they have a big fight ahead of them to win it, then let's see what they'll do in CL.

el3mel

It's the toughest club competition to win, but I have no doubts someday PSG will win it themselves, it's a matter of when rather than if IMO. The thing is, this season is a terrible season to start football. Not just at PSG, but several clubs you can see players that weren't ready to get started again, the lack of fans in the stands and teammates in and out because of COVID/injuries due to poor preparation, it all makes this season a shit show IMO. I'm hoping things start to settle in this month, but Poch has a tough job ahead of him. Di Maria looks past it, Neymar is one injury away from derailing the season, Mbappe has a contract running out, I'm waiting for Icardi's face to show up on milk cartons, there's just a lot going on that he's going to have to deal with. This is not an easy job he has decided to take up, especially this season more than any other.
I was honestly shocked when I checked their team yesterday. They have Moise Kean starting as their main striker (and also scored the goal) ? Is this really the direct replacement for Neymar there? Their midfield has only Verrati of any quality attacking forward and their entire back four have some weird names in it. Their lineup in CL final looked far better from what I remember.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I was honestly shocked when I checked their team yesterday. They have Moise Kean starting as their main striker (and also scored the goal) ? Is this really the direct replacement for Neymar there? Their midfield has only Verrati of any quality attacking forward and their entire back four have some weird names in it. Their lineup in CL final looked far better from what I remember.
There is no real replacement for Neymar, I guess you could say it would be either Sarabia and Draxler (who PSG simply can't con anybody into taking). Moise Kean is basically taking over for Choupo-Moting's role but with Icardi missing in action he gets some playing time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I had a dream last night that Poch reneged on his contract with PSG, travelled to London and held Lampard's family hostage in an attempt to force him to tender his resignation. Lampard resigns and moves his family to safety in the Austrian mountains. Poch is just about sign a lifetime contract with Chelsea until news break that United and Arsenal have released a joint statement to say they have sacked Ole and Arteta.

Poch is now flustered, having second thoughts, and suddenly his phone rings and it's ......... Rebekah Vardy well I don't know who it was because my stupid alarm went off.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
This guy is not just about to build a scary team but also coach them well... PSG will be new team to beat for all big boys ..

Now this guy is after Aubameyang I mean shake my head .. deadly

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Best part is folks say he needs to sell neymar which he doesn’t even need to.. got max funds.. I think a solid 8/10 striker will make neymar/mbappe even better .. this is his moment to create a dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.