Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

Best part is folks say he needs to sell neymar which he doesn’t even need to.. got max funds.. I think a solid 8/10 striker will make neymar/mbappe even better .. this is his moment to create a dynasty
Honestly he could just pick up Giroud on a free this summer and they’d be such a dangerous team.

stu_1992

This guy is not just about to build a scary team but also coach them well... PSG will be new team to beat for all big boys ..

Now this guy is after Aubameyang I mean shake my head .. deadly
Best part is folks say he needs to sell neymar which he doesn’t even need to.. got max funds.. I think a solid 8/10 striker will make neymar/mbappe even better .. this is his moment to create a dynasty
All his team is literally missing is 2 deadly FBs
You alright there lad? Seem a bit excited by the whole thing. 3 messages in a row aimed at no-one in particular, some of which had some baseless speculation really.

Truth is we've no idea how he'll do with them, he may improve them. He may not. However what's clear is that Leonardo will have a big day in any transfers that they do. Poch isn't going to have free reign to do what he wants on transfers. Both because of Leonardo but also because they seem to be more cautious recently due to the prospect of penalties related to over-spending. Look at a lot of the names they have brought in recently. Hardly the star names that they have in the past.

For me they are very much a team transition right now. They're squad is a bit all over the place and they will take time to get to how Pochettino wants to play. I expect they will improve to win the league once again, but I don't expect them to do much in the knockout stages of the champions league tbh.

All this talk about them being a seriously scary prospect all of a sudden is way over the top.

Edit: also I don't buy that they're only missing 2 "deadly" full backs. They definitely need to figure they're best attacking combination. Is Kean really good enough to win the CL? Does Icardi really fit into their team? I'm not convinced by their central midfield options either. Especially if Verrati picks up one of his frequent injuries.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:nono: That’s not a real trophy. Even Moyes won the English version of it. Our players looked uncomfortable the way he celebrated after winning it!

spiriticon

Is this the French version of the Carabao Cup or something? How is it possible that trophies are won in January?

crossy1686

career ending
Yes, CL final, 2nd in Prem and he’s already a trophy winning manager after just 3 games, 2 games longer than David Moyes but still, proof he’s a winner.
Winning a Charity Shield makes him a winner? I mean, I'm not disputing the fact he's a good manager, that's clear to see and he will obviously win trophies at PSG because, well, how can he not? The tea lady would. But to make this claim for a charity shield is a bit weird.

Well, considering Ole has 2 league and 1 cup title that nobody on this forum ever recognises.... I'd say yes.
Everyone recognises them. Just that it was in one of the lowest rated leagues in Europe.

I think the trophy to prove it desperation is stupid, for any manager. Klopp won a couple of Bundesligas yeah, but Wolfsburg won it 2 years previous and Stuttgart 2 years before that. Winning a Bundesliga now for Rose or Nagelsmann is infinitely more difficult than it was for Klopp, yet some will claim they have to win something first, I don’t get it.
You don’t need to see a trophy to know those guys are doing excellent jobs or that Poch did a cracking job at Spurs.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

Yes, CL final, 2nd in Prem and he’s already a trophy winning manager after just 3 games, 2 games longer than David Moyes but still, proof he’s a winner.
Yeah I agree. Some really odd and dismissive criticism of a guy who took over a mess of a Spurs team and created a perennial top 4 side that challenged for the league and reached the Champions League final.

Not everything is about 2nd rate trophies, but for those detractors who thought that winning league cups while accomplishing nothing of note in terms of team progress was more impressive than what Pochettino did at Tottenham, that "trophies>all" ammunition is gone.

Yeah I agree. Some really odd and dismissive criticism of a guy who took over a mess of a Spurs team and created a perennial top 4 side that challenged for the league and reached the Champions League final.

Not everything is about 2nd rate trophies, but for those detractors who thought that winning league cups while accomplishing nothing of note in terms of team progress was more impressive than what Pochettino did at Tottenham, that "trophies>all" ammunition is gone.
Precisely!

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Everyone recognises them. Just that it was in one of the lowest rated leagues in Europe.

I think the trophy to prove it desperation is stupid, for any manager. Klopp won a couple of Bundesligas yeah, but Wolfsburg won it 2 years previous and Stuttgart 2 years before that. Winning a Bundesliga now for Rose or Nagelsmann is infinitely more difficult than it was for Klopp, yet some will claim they have to win something first, I don’t get it.
You don’t need to see a trophy to know those guys are doing excellent jobs or that Poch did a cracking job at Spurs.
Not really true. Klopp won the Bundesliga when Bayern was in the champions league final so how is it 'infinitely' more difficult now? Especially given that Bayern aren't playing all that well this season.

Other than that, everything else is true. Klopp was brilliant when Dortmund made it to the CL final. He didn't need to win it for that to be proven.

spiriticon

It was one of lowest rated leagues but then Ole also had low-rated players in his team! Everything's relative in the end.

Regardless, I like Poch and his football. I only wince a bit when people start treating him like the messiah of football.

alexthelion

Here we go again.

Spurs were not a mess when he took over, stop with these lies.

If his fans are happy with a Charity Shield equivalent, good for them. Anything will do, I guess.

InfiniteBoredom

Here we go again.

Spurs were not a mess when he took over, stop with these lies.

If his fans are happy with a Charity Shield equivalent, good for them. Anything will do, I guess.
They were a bit tbf, spunked the Bale money on some truly mediocre players like Lamela and Chadli, plus Eriksen taking time to adapt. Looked like dropping out of top 4 contention and he made them competitive.

Of course, having the best striker in the league helped. Bit like that terrible 10-12 Arse team getting top 4 off the back of RvP.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is why I said PSG was a great job for him, gives him that trophy winning experience for him to take when he re-enters a more competitive league

USREDEVIL

Won a trophy eh? Totally different manager now. :houllier: This man has been an accomplished manager for several years but just didn't have that little bit of luck needed to have a club of that quality win a trophy. It's funny because the people that rate him like me, were not concerned by winning some small trophy to make him a "winner" but now his detractors will surely say this trophy doesn't mean shite.

Not really true. Klopp won the Bundesliga when Bayern was in the champions league final
Meh, Chelsea won the Champions League and finished 6th.

For Klopp's first title he beat a Bayern side that had lost a CL final to you the previous season with Van Buyton, Van Bommel, Altintop and Olić starting that final.

But yeah, by 2012, and Klopp's second title yes, Bayern were well on their way to building that great team.

Back then Bayern were winning the title just once every second season, now they are on course to win 9 in a row, with 2 Champions league WINS to boot during that spell.

Last edited:

Raredaredevil

Finally he wins a trophy. First of many to come. The league is almost his if he doesn't mess up and if he wins PSG the CL, it will be funny and this site will go into meltdown.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Trophies are all relative.
Ole took an unfancied Molde team and started winning trophies.
Just because it's in the Norwegian league doesn't make them any less important, it's still an achievement as yet not matched by Poch.

Champ

Won a trophy eh? Totally different manager now. :houllier: This man has been an accomplished manager for several years but just didn't have that little bit of luck needed to have a club of that quality win a trophy. It's funny because the people that rate him like me, were not concerned by winning some small trophy to make him a "winner" but now his detractors will surely say this trophy doesn't mean shite.
We'll does it mean much? I mean what did Poch do to actually win it? Won one game against a team in 6th place and who didn't win anything and were in the supercup by default!
It's the equivalent of Moyes winning the charity shield, but some on here won't have that about Poch :lol: :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
All these arguments going around in circles. Fact is, most would have made up their mind about Poch already, and not much he does will sway the majority either way. "Never won a trophy...he'll go win a trophy in France and then the trophy won't count or won't be good enough" and vice versa to those thinking he's the second coming.

Either way, I rate him and rated the work he did at Spurs. For me it is just interesting keeping an eye on him now, in a job where theres money to spend and quite a big expectation (arguably what he needs to really push on from the "trophy is vanity" mindset he had).

Champ

All these arguments going around in circles. Fact is, most would have made up their mind about Poch already, and not much he does will sway the majority either way. "Never won a trophy...he'll go win a trophy in France and then the trophy won't count or won't be good enough" and vice versa to those thinking he's the second coming.

Either way, I rate him and rated the work he did at Spurs. For me it is just interesting keeping an eye on him now, in a job where theres money to spend and quite a big expectation (arguably what he needs to really push on from the "trophy is vanity" mindset he had).
I agree with this point of view.

However he had money to spend at spurs, £400m of it in 5 years, that's a hefty amount.
His record in the market is patchy at best, but at PSG he doesn't have the same transfer team as Spurs so maybe his transfer nous might improve.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree with this point of view.

However he had money to spend at spurs, £400m of it in 5 years, that's a hefty amount.
His record in the market is patchy at best, but at PSG he doesn't have the same transfer team as Spurs so maybe his transfer nous might improve.
Yeah tbf, i had no idea about the 400m in 5 years. Didn't think it would be that high, most probably because a lot of it was on "cheap/young" punts and not really super expensive superstars? Also, what was his net spend like in 5 years? Agree with your general point though. Whole different ball game at PSG and he's dealing with superstar egos (Kane was a superstar, but he became one under the guidance of Poch and he was at his boyhood club).

Davie Moyes

I agree with those who see the PSG job as a test of how he copes with superstars and money to spend rather than trophies which will no doubt follow. The Charity Shield should not rank as a 'proper' one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.