Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGame

Pochettino was without Marquinhos (his best defender and starter), Verratti (his best midfielder) and Paredes (a starting midfielder).

All this talk about Lewandowski this and Lewandowski, please take both sides of the story into account.
Paredes would not have started, it would have been Gueye with Verrati either way. Bayern were also without Gnabry who would have started instead of Lewandowski. Goretska also went off injured.

TheGame

Imagine genuinely thinking that Ole is as good as this guy. Or even better just because you know, "we're second" after spending £300m :lol:

One is beating the best team in the world on their turf scoring 3 goals (4 against Barca at Nou camp) and the other one is going out of CL in group stage after losing to a team that's much inferior conceding 3 even after playing 5 at the back. There's a world of difference between them.
These are the kind of idiotic responses which just make any discussions toxic.

31 shots to 6, I can't remember the last time a team stole a game like that. Bayern had a Stoke City reject up front. If Lewandowski was fit it would have been embarrassing for PSG, but they still have a chance as he's confirmed out for the second leg too.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If that was United the story would have been "class Mbappe saves Ole".

Complete robbery of a result but, you do also need some luck to win things. The tie is not over though. Bayern can put 5 or 6 past PSG the way they looked.
Spot on! It was a brilliant result from PSG (and ultimately the only way they could win, so kudos to the manager) but the same posters who are delighted with this result would be making all sorts of excuses if Ole had the exact same game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If that was United the story would have been "class Mbappe saves Ole".

Complete robbery of a result but, you do also need some luck to win things. The tie is not over though. Bayern can put 5 or 6 past PSG the way they looked.
Clearly they knew they went to play on the counter away from home

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Amazing tactical gameplan by Pochettino. Nullified Bayern at home and certainly created one of psg fans best night in football today.

As I stated many times, Pochettino is in the top two managers in football right now. He keeps making his naysayers eat crow time and time again. 3 goals away at Bayern(best team in football) is an unbelievable accomplishment.
They defended for dear life, got lucky not to concede atleast 5 and relied on individual brilliance from two of the best players in the world on the break. Good game though

Dr. StrangeHate

Imagine genuinely thinking that Ole is as good as this guy. Or even better just because you know, "we're second" after spending £300m :lol:

One is beating the best team in the world on their turf scoring 3 goals (4 against Barca at Nou camp) and the other one is going out of CL in group stage after losing to a team that's much inferior conceding 3 even after playing 5 at the back. There's a world of difference between them.
We are second in the most competitive league in the world. We are above Jose led Spurs, Klopp led Liverpool, and Chelsea. Sure our squad is second best but that is in part due to Ole. Poch is the better manager but Ole has proven to be a good manager and he can also get PSG to play the same way as they did yesterday. I won't argue much about the CL exit, that was terrible.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They defended for dear life, got lucky not to concede atleast 5 and relied on individual brilliance from two of the best players in the world on the break. Good game though
Sounds a lot like how we played PSG 2 years ago but it didn't stop anyone from going overboard in praise for Ole.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Luck
During several years, PSG used to be an unlucky team when playing very well with Motta as a conductor.
Since Autumn 2019, the team is incredibly lucky at the European stage but luck is part of the game.

Team that still struggles at the domestic level
One of the reasons is that there are some players who does not like to defend...
Also, he has a strong tendency to favour Argentinian players like Paredes and Icardi...while a player like Kean deserves more consideration.

Verratti
When Emery joined PSG, he quickly tried to make Verratti a number 10 but gave up after one game lost against the future champions Monaco (Mbappe&co). Poch tried this several times.

Mbappe
The only obvious thing I can see is that Mbappe is in a great physical shape these days, which was not the case for several months in 2020.

Tuchel vs Poch
Under Tuchel, PSG would have played yesterday with 3 central defenders.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There is hypocrisy on the caf
Still don’t get it. Are you agreeing Poch relies on luck and individual brilliance the same as Ole or that both managers are better than the individual brilliance stick they’re hit with? And my post had nothing to do with our manager, as usual though he gets dragged into it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Still don’t get it. Are you agreeing Poch relies on luck and individual brilliance the same as Ole or that both managers are better than the individual brilliance stick they’re hit with? And my post had nothing to do with our manager, as usual though he gets dragged into it.
What don't you get? It's quite obvious.
All managers rely on luck but the reaction to a counter attack and ruthless approach dependent on individual brilliance is stark with Poch than when it was for Ole. That's my point, and it's not irrelevant.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Flick changed them and got them performing, PSG are still disappointing in Ligue 1, Poch hasn't had any impact whatsoever.
Answer this simple question, do you think that PSG and Bayern squads are equivalent?
Even Sampaoli got something out of Marseille, having been appointed later than Poch and with much much worse players. Answer your question with Marseille instead of Bayern.
No, answer my question and Pochettino has a 70% win rate with PSG, it's not as if we are talking about an average record.
All I said is that he hasn't had an impact on them yet and so far you haven't shown how wrong I am. Tuchel had a bigger win rate tbh, not that it really matters.
It looks like you need a judge of the Supreme Court :D

In 2020/2021, Poch and Tuchel are both disappointing at the domestic level for the reasons you know:
- key players injured or tested positive
- players like Neymar/Draxler/Mbappe.. who don't like to defend against small teams
- Thiago Silva left :mad: and not replaced
- quality of the squad on the decline

'Still too early to assess the value of Poch' I would say

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What don't you get? It's quite obvious.
All managers rely on luck but the reaction to a counter attack and ruthless approach dependent on individual brilliance is stark with Poch than when it was for Ole. That's my point, and it's not irrelevant.
Ok I think I’ve got it, Poch is getting praised for his luck and use of individual brilliance of two players isn’t he? That’s fair enough. Ole gets slated for the same use (you want to keep bringing him into it).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It looks like you need a judge of the Supreme Court :D

In 2020/2021, Poch and Tuchel are both disappointing at the domestic level for the reasons you know:
- key players injured or tested positive
- players like Neymar/Draxler/Mbappe.. who don't like to defend against small teams
- Thiago Silva left :mad: and not replaced
- quality of the squad on the decline

'Still too early to assess the value of Poch' I would say
We don't need any judge. I'm right and @kouroux is wrong. ;)

cyberman

Sounds a lot like how we played PSG 2 years ago but it didn't stop anyone from going overboard in praise for Ole.
I dont think it was. PSG had few chances against our youth team that night and just overly recycled the ball. PSG had something like 12 shots conpared to last night.
In the first leg we didnt sit back at all.

OleBoiii

Might as well change the name to PochCafe based on the hilarious fanboy-ism in here. :lol:

Anyways, my view will remain the same: winning the league with PSG is not impressive. Should he win the CL: fair enough, well played. But they were always one of the favorites to do so.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I see Poch relied on individual brilliance to win last night? Not much in the way of patterns of play. :p ;)

Poch seems to have gone fully mid early 21st century Carlo Ancelotti: Screw the league, throw everything at Europe. If he pulls it off fair play to him. With the talent PSG has you can see Poch delivering old big ears to the Qataris. Honestly, of the teams left in the Champions League with a genuine chance, I'd much rather see PSG win it than anyone else.

The way PSG counters is probably the biggest risk to City. Hopefully Poch can get the job done against Bayern next week and then serve City in the semi final.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Paredes would not have started, it would have been Gueye with Verrati either way. Bayern were also without Gnabry who would have started instead of Lewandowski. Goretska also went off injured.
They were already getting their ass kicked with him on the field.

jackal&hyde

Clearly they knew they went to play on the counter away from home
Bayern had like 31 shots so they hardly defended well. Got lucky not to concede at least 5 and scored with a brilliant striker, and a mistake from the keeper. It was a very poor game by the manager but got away with it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok I think I’ve got it, Poch is getting praised for his luck and use of individual brilliance of two players isn’t he? That’s fair enough. Ole gets slated for the same use (you want to keep bringing him into it).
You really haven't. You managed to interpret the opposite of what I said, somehow. Also I don't "keep bringing him into it". Other posters had already done that in this thread before I ever did.
Really? Did we have 30 shots at goal against us then as well?
No but we were thoroughly outplayed, had even less of the ball and conceded enough shots to lose the game. 30 shots is an arbitrary stat too. Sure it's a lot of shots and I'm sure the XG was better for Bayern than it was for PSG when we played them, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the game plan was the same. Both managers got quite lucky on undeserved wins. Did Poch get more lucky? I guess, if you consider how jammy that Dalot hand ball incident was maybe others would think otherwise. But even if we agree Poch was a bit more lucky than Ole, it's quite funny to see the difference in reaction being this stark to the two victories.
I dont think it was. PSG had few chances against our youth team that night and just overly recycled the ball. PSG had something like 12 shots conpared to last night.
In the first leg we didnt sit back at all.
When we were away to PSG, we certainly sat back and hit to counter. We were outplayed, we were fortunate to come away with winning the tie. Ole got overly praised, in my humble opinion, because it relied massively on luck. I don't have an issue with it, because it was an exciting night and a huge achievement.
My point is PSG just did the same, away from home, and Poch is getting shat on, which just makes me chuckle. There's no agenda here, just an observation on how posters benchmark managers.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

You really haven't. You managed to interpret the opposite of what I said, somehow. Also I don't "keep bringing him into it". Other posters had already done that in this thread before I ever did.

No but we were thoroughly outplayed, had even less of the ball and conceded enough shots to lose the game. 30 shots is an arbitrary stat too, as Bayern took a few quick shots that were easier to see out.

When we were away to PSG, we certainly sat back and hit to counter. We were outplayed, we were fortunate to come away with winning the tie. Ole got overly praised, in my humble opinion, because it relied massively on luck. I don't have an issue with it, because it was an exciting night and a huge achievement.
My point is PSG just did the same, away from home, and Poch is getting shat on, which just makes me chuckle.
We did but we also defended very well. Something Poch did not do.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's possible that PSG were lucky in not conceding more goals. But they were not "lucky" in scoring 3 away goals against the current CL champions. That's a good gameplan. And conceding 3 away goals in the CL is a huge problem even if you win the game.

When Real Madrid won against Bayern in multiple ties, I also heard the whole "ah Bayern were the better team! they attack so much, it's such bad luck that their dogshit defense is caught unaware time and time again." They should just learn how to defend.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bayern had like 31 shots so they hardly defended well. Got lucky not to concede at least 5 and scored with a brilliant striker, and a mistake from the keeper. It was a very poor game by the manager but got away with it.
A shit game plan that got 3 away goals. Even if he lost 4-3 (Bayern XG was around 4 by the way), Poch still leaves the first leg with a good result for an away leg, you know that right?

jackal&hyde

A shit game plan that got 3 away goals. Even if he lost 4-3 (Bayern XG was around 4 by the way), Poch still leaves the first leg with a good result for an away leg, you know that right?
It was a very good result from a poor performance saved by individual quality and poor finishing by the opposition. I don't care about PSG or Poch, but let's not pretend the result had much to do with tactics or "patterns of play". Sometimes the better team doesn't win, it's nothing new.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

No but we were thoroughly outplayed, had even less of the ball and conceded enough shots to lose the game. 30 shots is an arbitrary stat too. Sure it's a lot of shots and I'm sure the XG was better for Bayern than it was for PSG when we played them, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the game plan was the same. Both managers got quite lucky on undeserved wins. Did Poch get more lucky? I guess, if you consider how jammy that Dalot hand ball incident was maybe others would think otherwise. But even if we agree Poch was a bit more lucky than Ole, it's quite funny to see the difference in reaction being this stark to the two victories.

My point is PSG just did the same, away from home, and Poch is getting shat on, which just makes me chuckle. There's no agenda here, just an observation on how posters benchmark managers.
Your reply to my first post in this thread was against me replying to someone absolutely praising Poch for that performance.

dal

We are second in the most competitive league in the world. We are above Jose led Spurs, Klopp led Liverpool, and Chelsea. Sure our squad is second best but that is in part due to Ole. Poch is the better manager but Ole has proven to be a good manager and he can also get PSG to play the same way as they did yesterday. I won't argue much about the CL exit, that was terrible.
I really don’t think our squad is second best at all.

At the start of the season I would have said we have the 5th best first 11 and the 4th best squad.

Ole is over performing, only idiots would use a pochettino win as a stick to beat Ole with.

cyberman

We didnt sit back. We werent good enough to sustain pressure on PSG but we didnt sit back. PSG over recycled the ball to try and see the game out and fecked it. They had few chances to score for a reason. Midfield, nothing passes is my pet hate in football and thats all they did. City do it all the time and it makes the opposition look like idiots when its not on them.
Honestly, we were the better team in that first half in Paris anyway. Thats often overlooked.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was a very good result from a poor performance saved by individual quality and poor finishing by the opposition. I don't care about PSG or Poch, but let's not pretend the result had much to do with tactics or "patterns of play". Sometimes the better team doesn't win, it's nothing new.
I agree with you on Poch in that his only gameplan was to counter. And it worked thanks to luck. Every manager needs it in this tournament. You talk about luck like it was way too much but as I said Bayern had 4 as an xg, roughly. If the result was 4-3 it's still a good result. The reaction to this result and Ole's 2 years ago is black and white. Ole didn't have a pattern of play or game plan that was much different. Of course he had to start quicker as he was chasing the result but otherwise the plan was to counter after Lukakus goal.
Your reply to my first post in this thread was against me replying to someone absolutely praising Poch for that performance.
All I said its similar to Ole when he was praised. It's an observation on how the underdog team get lucky and the manager gets praised. Except here ours was praised over the top and here the manager is shat on. And I mention that after it was raised in this thread by someone else.

We didnt sit back. We werent good enough to sustain pressure on PSG but we didnt sit back. PSG over recycled the ball to try and see the game out and fecked it. They had few chances to score for a reason. Midfield, nothing passes is my pet hate in football and thats all they did. City do it all the time and it makes the opposition look like idiots when its not on them.
Honestly, we were the better team in that first half in Paris anyway. Thats often overlooked.
What's also overlooked is the context. We had to chase because we had no choice. Psg on the other hand didn't need to and still walked away with 3 goals. In both cases the wins were undeserved is all.

thepolice123

Tbf we were a much poorer side and had a managerial change midway through the season, context plays a part too. We were incredibly lucky but Ole definitely deserves some praise for getting a result there.

This was the team that was put out that day:

Our subs were: Dalot, Rojo, Romero, Garner, Chong, Greenwood, Gomes :lol:

Dinghy

Ole had to win by two goals away and did it with a starting midfield of Pereira, Fred, McT and Young. Two completely unproven youngsters in Chong and Greenwood came on as subs. PSG didn't have over 30 shots on the night either, they had 12. It's not the same at all.

TheGame

I'm sorry but this is nonsense, how can 30 shots be an arbitrary figure? It means the team were exposed again and again and the poor finishing saved them. Against us in 2019, the stats were:
Shots
PSG 12 - 4 United

Shots on target
PSG 4 - 4 United

PSG had alot of possession against us but that was expected considering our line up but we were no where near outplayed to the extend PSG were yesterday. The reaction is different because the matches were different. There was no game plan from PSG aside to give the ball to Neymar and Mbappe. There was no effective set up to counter attack, the midfield kept getting exposed. However you do need luck and it was Bayern's fault for not scoring. If they get through in the second leg, it would be an amazing achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.