Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
[
I like both Nagelsmann and ten Haag but their track record does not really guarantee anything. And Allegri has not been great outside of the Juve team that was head and shoulders above everybody else. He won nothing in Europe with them too. (two finals is good though, I admit)

I am actually surprised nobody is mentioning Diego Simeone. I doubt he will ever be considered purely because of his style but in terms of credentials and track record...he is superior to all 3 of these, in my book.
Simeone doesn't seem likely to ever leave AM, anyone would be lucky to have him.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The bad news is this version of Messi is *really* ball dominant, Di Maria barely played in the Copa America and has generally gotten worse for Argentina
Di Maria have been very good for Argentina, in Copa and qualifiers, he is the second best player Argentina have after Messi by far, despite playing some Copa matches as a sub.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Psg has always have had problems controlling games against top teams, even against us.
No, not really, not anymore than any other top side against other top sides. You come up against a side of similar level, sometimes they will outplay you. Even Guardiola's teams got outplayed at times

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Di Maria have been very good for Argentina, in Copa and qualifiers, he is the second best player Argentina have after Messi by far, despite playing some Copa matches as a sub.
He played 3 games in the last Copa America, two of which off the bench. But fair enough. So Di Maria can play with this version of Messi, that's a start. Up to Pochettino now then

jamesjimmybyrondean

:lol:

People are really out here equating distance covered with pressing. You do know teams have to run with as well as without the ball?

Messi doesn't even run when his team is in possession of the ball - He stands and walks until the ball comes near him. You don't see how that becomes an issue for his teammates?

Off the ball movement is the key to being able to play from one area of the pitch into the others. Opening up space for yourself and restricting the opponent is pretty much the name of the game. Poch's old sides were exceptionally good at that. This lot are not, and haven't been for some time.
That's what I'm saying though. Their movement when they have the ball is poor which is down to coaching

Hammondo

No, not really, not anymore than any other top side against other top sides. You come up against a side of similar level, sometimes they will outplay you. Even Guardiola's teams got outplayed at times
Very rarely. Psg does way poorer than the top teams, against other top teams.

goodman organelles

It’s difficult with a manager who hasn’t won a major prize. There’s no doubt he improved Tottenham despite the lack of silverware as well as a good job st Southampton and I think it was espanyol?
He is clearly a good manager for the levels he has managed at but so was David moyes. Other than that period post united where it would appear his confidence was knocked, he generally does well at improving a clubs fortunes but at a set level.
The expectations at United was too much for him, it was above the level he could operate at and he has since gone back to a level thstbis correct for him.
Will it be the same for Poch? He’s never really been under pressure to win trophies at his previous clubs. He will now be under a lot of pressure to deliver the biggest one of all while handling huge stars.
It’s hard to hold a failure at PSG against a manager as it can’t raally be compared to any other club but if he does not deliver it will make me question if he has the ability to step up to a club like United who demand trophies and have incredibly high levels of expectation. This is his first real test in management to face that sort of pressure and it will be interesting to see if he sinks or swims.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Very rarely. Psg does way poorer than the top teams, against other top teams.
They eliminated the best team on earth last season. And yes, the first leg was an all-time smash and grab, but they dominated the second leg at home. The games against City were even in terms of play, city just got all the bounces

They made the CL final in 19/20, dominating most of their games and playing the Juggernaut Bayern Munich even in the final

Even their loss to you in '19 was an all-time bottlejob, they dominated both games

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't it interesting that people question the suitability at the highest level of players that have won almost everything and played at a very high level for the better part of the last decade and that in order to make a point in favor of a manager that has won next to nothing during his 12 years of management? On the other hand you have someone like Zidane that has won all competitions at least once and yet his credentials are questioned.

Hammondo

They eliminated the best team on earth last season. And yes, the first leg was an all-time smash and grab, but they dominated the second leg at home. The games against City were even in terms of play, city just got all the bounces

They made the CL final in 19/20, dominating most of their games and playing the Juggernaut Bayern Munich even in the final

Even their loss to you in '19 was an all-time bottlejob, they dominated both games
On what planet is Bayern Munich the best team? Not this one, not even 3rd.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Came across a stat the other day - "progressive passes" (or whatever the official term is), basically forward passes of the kind that can be classed as creative or contributing significantly towards attacking moves: Per 90 this stat wasn't exactly super impressive for PSG under Tuchel (either) - but compared to his last full season the picture is pretty clear: this season in the CL PSG averages around 20 such passes per ninety - which is significantly worse than Ole's United, and only about half of what Tuchel's team managed two seasons ago.

Not that stats say it all, etc.

But since we're indulging in a bit of Poch bashing, etc.

dbs235

I hate Bayern but they definitely have an argument for the current best team alongside City and maybe Liverpool. Chelsea and PSG just behind.

JPRouve

Scout
Came across a stat the other day - "progressive passes" (or whatever the official term is), basically forward passes of the kind that can be classed as creative or contributing significantly towards attacking moves: Per 90 this stat wasn't exactly super impressive for PSG under Tuchel (either) - but compared to his last full season the picture is pretty clear: this season in the CL PSG averages around 20 such passes per ninety - which is significantly worse than Ole's United, and only about half of what Tuchel's team managed two seasons ago.

Not that stats say it all, etc.

But since we're indulging in a bit of Poch bashing, etc.
That's not even bashing, it's the reality of PSG under Pochettino. Something is wrong offensively and it's not new, it was forgivable 8 months ago but it's worrying today. At the end of the day, I still think that Pochettino is a good coach and maybe he is uncomfortable at PSG but there is no good excuse for him outside of tactical limitations, not all managers even the good ones, can adapt to something that is too far from their comfort zone.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

You know it’s bad when even Messi realises that individual brilliance will only take you so far.
Man, I know you are probably amongst the number 1 Pochettino hater on here, but at least post credible sources. One thing poch hater are good at is misinformation.

Messi pinpoints that these information are false and Pochettino was one of the reason why he join psg.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...l-skills-PSG-manager-Mauricio-Pochettino.html
Lionel Messi has distanced himself from reports that he and his entourage have doubts over Mauricio Pochettino's tactical ability, describing it as 'fake news.'

However, sources close to the 34-year-old Argentine have underlined to Sportsmail that the relationship between Pochettino and Messi is 'good' and that the former Tottenham coach's presence at PSG was an important factor in the forward's decision to move to Paris from Barcelona last summer.
I don't get why mods are allowing poster to post no name twitters user on here. When even asked about source, they don't even respond.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's not even bashing, it's the reality of PSG under Pochettino. Something is wrong offensively and it's not new, it was forgivable 8 months ago but it's worrying today. At the end of the day, I still think that Pochettino is a good coach and maybe he is uncomfortable at PSG but there is no good excuse for him outside of tactical limitations, not all managers even the good ones, can adapt to something that is too far from their comfort zone.
Yes, I don't think he's a bad coach either. But he clearly hasn't done anything lately which supports the idea that he's special in any shape or form.

Frankly, I don't understand why he took that job in the first place if having as much influence as possible is important to him (and/or if he doesn't really want to work with huge egos and whatnot). But that's another matter - he did take it.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes, I don't think he's a bad coach either. But he clearly hasn't done anything lately which supports the idea that he's special in any shape or form.

Frankly, I don't understand why he took that job in the first place if having as much influence as possible is important to him (and/or if he doesn't really want to work with huge egos and whatnot). But that's another matter - he did take it.
The influence angle was a bit strange but even stranger was his rant about increased expectations. These things make me think that he would be better managing a club in a tier below, he can take them and turn them into a stable CL team without added pressure. Clubs like Atlético, Dortmund, Inter, Sevilla or Tottenham.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They won everything while breaking records and smashing teams left and and right. Their level dropped a bit since then, but around their CL win they were absolutely the best team in the world. Maybe not right now, but at the time of those games mentioned they definitely had a claim.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You had 3 teams above reigning european champions and all-around unstoppable juggernaut bayern in april? For that matter...now?

Ok

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
They won everything while breaking records and smashing teams left and and right. Their level dropped a bit since then, but around their CL win they were absolutely the best team in the world. Maybe not right now, but at the time of those games mentioned they definitely had a claim.
Fact. They were totally dominant. I can’t believe people have forgotten this already. I mean they’re still pretty damn good now but Flick’s no longer there so it remains to be seen how JN will handle everything.

However they were missing Lewa when PSG knocked them out, as I mentioned before.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You had 3 teams above reigning european champions and all-around unstoppable juggernaut bayern in april? For that matter...now?

Ok
They were missing some important players which might be what's making people think they weren't as good. Couldn't help feeling at the time they were a bit unfortunate to be missing so many, or else they probably would've gone through.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They were missing some important players which might be what's making people think they weren't as good. Couldn't help feeling at the time they were a bit unfortunate to be missing so many, or else they probably would've gone through.
And PSG were missing Verratti, lost Marquinhos in the first half of the first leg, and both their starting WBs. PSG were without Mbappé for the second leg against City, too

In other words, a big CL clash was heavily influenced by injuries. And water makes things wet. Big news! :D

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So they had off games in the league. Do you not recall Peps City being hit for 5 last season to Leicester?

And what do you expect vs City? More control? Good luck with those players. No manager is saving them.
The reason you recall Pep being hit for 5 last season was because it rarely ever happens, that's the difference between him and Pochettino, with Poch it's consistently looking clueless and lost. I would take the odd battering over that personally, especially as it didn't stop Pep from winning the league handily.

No manager is saving them? My man, I think you're crazy if you think that. This is one of the best teams in the world, they have their flaws, Mbappe and Messi don't press much at all, but so do other teams who have gone far. They have a subpar midfield that a better manager could work around because there's enough quality there to do better when it comes to managing pressure and transitioning from defense to offense. They got to the final and semi-final of the CL the last two seasons, they're more than fine to manage or you don't get to that point, and they're a far better team on paper than those teams that got to that stage.

It's not just a few off games in the league either, it's consistently looking more disjointed and poorer than their counter-parts in Ligue 1, especially the top teams in the league. It is simply through individual brilliance that they got to this top spot. I don't know how many points we won with goals in the last 5-10 minutes of a game we looked clueless in, but it's the only way we got to the top of the league. There's just no excuse. I'm not buying that this is an impossible job, it's a great team that the PSG ownership put together, you can complain about the midfield or lack of press from 2 players (who can more than make up for it on the offense) but there's no team out there that has world-class quality all over the pitch, everybody has weak points, and this team should be far, far better than they are with Pochettino, 11 months into his tenure.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The reason you recall Pep being hit for 5 last season was because it rarely ever happens, that's the difference between him and Pochettino, with Poch it's consistently looking clueless and lost. I would take the odd battering over that personally, especially as it didn't stop Pep from winning the league handily.

No manager is saving them? My man, I think you're crazy if you think that. This is one of the best teams in the world, they have their flaws, Mbappe and Messi don't press much at all, but so do other teams who have gone far. They have a subpar midfield that a better manager could work around because there's enough quality there to do better when it comes to managing pressure and transitioning from defense to offense. They got to the final and semi-final of the CL the last two seasons, they're more than fine to manage or you don't get to that point, and they're a far better team on paper than those teams that got to that stage.

It's not just a few off games in the league either, it's consistently looking more disjointed and poorer than their counter-parts in Ligue 1, especially the top teams in the league. It is simply through individual brilliance that they got to this top spot. I don't know how many points we won with goals in the last 5-10 minutes of a game we looked clueless in, but it's the only way we got to the top of the league. There's just no excuse. I'm not buying that this is an impossible job, it's a great team that the PSG ownership put together, you can complain about the midfield or lack of press from 2 players (who can more than make up for it on the offense) but there's no team out there that has world-class quality all over the pitch, everybody has weak points, and this team should be far, far better than they are with Pochettino, 11 months into his tenure.
The amount of excuses Pochettino receives in this Forum and in England is quite baffling. PSG plays much worse than they played under Tuchel. I even go as far as saying under Emery, despite him losing to that Monaco team a Domestic League they were better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Poch did not constantly look lost at Spurs or Southampton or Espanyol. He now has a player his predecessors never had who has full control at the snap of his finger, and who can never be subbed. There is no manager that will want that, and there's a reason Ancelotti Tuchel and others ultimately fell short. Change the manager merry-go round all you want, it won't alter the fact that PSG will always be a level below the likes of City and Liverpool because they don't operate as a team. And that's not down to the manager by the way, that's always been the case. It's built on player ego's fostered by the owners.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Poch did not constantly look lost at Spurs or Southampton or Espanyol. He now has a player his predecessors never had who has full control at the snap of his finger, and who can never be subbed. There is no manager that will want that, and there's a reason Ancelotti Tuchel and others ultimately fell short. Change the manager merry-go round all you want, it won't alter the fact that PSG will always be a level below the likes of City and Liverpool because they don't operate as a team. And that's not down to the manager by the way, that's always been the case. It's built on player ego's fostered by the owners.
Frankly, I don't give a toss what Poch has done at other clubs, he's at PSG now and he's not doing the job. I'm not asking him to have the best team in the world, I'm asking him to show some semblance of coaching where there is none. It's inexcusable for 11 months to not have even developed simple, basic patterns of play with the players, or to have Veratti in 6 different positions, Messi in 4 so far, just absolute cluelessness on what to do. How do you explain that? I'm seriously asking you because you seem to think it's all the players' fault but these are world-class players that have had massive successes prior to Pochettino and they look legitimately bang average.

As far as bolded, I don't know whether that's true or not, which means you don't either. As far as I know, players like Neymar, Messi, or Mbappe are very manageable. They have egos for sure, no superstar doesn't have one, but they are not prima donnas, however you can sense they are not buying into whatever Poch is selling, if that's anything at all because right now I'm really not seeing any kind of philosophy or automatisms (is that a word?) between the players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's true, it's amazing how a team with so much talent is playing that bad. Name by name the have the best squad in the world, maybe only behind Bayern.
Again, this isn't FIFA. They have a bucket load more egos than any other squad and that's where the problem always lies.

For all the shortcomings Poch has, and he's far from perfect, getting his sides to look less than a sum of their parts is not one of them. Espanyol, Southampton, Tottenham, he's able to do it everywhere. Even Tuchel complained of the remits the manager has and the limitations a head coach has to execute his vision properly. It's so evident this is the proble, but it's far easier to paste whoever the manager is and use them as a scape goat - rinse and repeat

SAFMUTD

Again, this isn't FIFA. They have a bucket load more egos than any other squad and that's where the problem always lies.
Do you think they'll be better with more average players with less egos?

It's not fifa but having to manage egos as the biggest problem it's every manager's dream.

Poch is failing, I don't think it's only his fault, PSG directors have made very clear that they value more their star players than their managers, hence the manager authority is always diminished. It's not an easy task specially having zero motivation playing week by week in a league that's way below the teams talent.

jamesjimmybyrondean

For all the shortcomings Poch has, and he's far from perfect, getting his sides to look less than a sum of their parts is not one of them. Espanyol, Southampton, Tottenham, he's able to do it everywhere. Even Tuchel complained of the remits the manager has and the limitations a head coach has to execute his vision properly. It's so evident this is the proble, but it's far easier to paste whoever the manager is and use them as a scape goat - rinse and repeat
You seem to be dependent on Poch good record at his previous clubs to prove your point. If Poch succeeded at those clubs then failure at his next club has to be down to the players. But have you bothered watching the games in Ligue 1 so far? How would you compare the quality of their play now to when Tuchel was in charge ?

JPRouve

Scout

His comments were more about the families of players than the players themselves. The part about the player is quite funny because he mentioned that it was easier to train Lukaku than Mbappé or Neymar, of course it's easier, Mbappé and Neymar have the bad habits of performing at a high level and you have to build around that, Lukaku doesn't perform at a high level and you bench him, though he didn't do it until Lukaku was injured.

There is something paradoxal about the benching star players, why would a club invest hundreds of millions on a player if the manager isn't willing to make it work and is willing to give up quickly?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His comments were more about the families of players than the players themselves. The part about the player is quite funny because he mentioned that it was easier to train Lukaku than Mbappé or Neymar, of course it's easier, Mbappé and Neymar have the bad habits of performing at a high level and you have to build around that, Lukaku doesn't perform at a high level and you bench him, though he didn't do it until Lukaku was injured.

There is something paradoxal about the benching star players, why would a club invest hundreds of millions on a player if the manager isn't willing to make it work and is willing to give up quickly?
Sure, and regarding Tuchel it doesn't take much reading between the lines to insinuate that takes a head coach's primary duties away from what he's employed to do.

I don't think Poch has given up so to say, but no player should be undroppable and if they don't abide by the managerial instructions or if the manager thinks he needs fresh legs in the 70th minute he should be able to call upon that player. He did that once and it seems he was warned about it by the powers that be. Moreover Leo is known to be a poison for managers, buying whomever he wants and telling the manager to make it work. Good managers can make it work but on the condition they have the freedom to work with the squad uninterrupted and have the autonomy in training and selections. It's clear PSG does not work in this manner.

JPRouve

Scout
Sure, and regarding Tuchel it doesn't take much reading between the lines to insinuate that takes a head coach's primary duties away from what he's employed to do.

I don't think Poch has given up so to say, but no player should be undroppable and if they don't abide by the managerial instructions or if the manager thinks he needs fresh legs in the 70th minute he should be able to call upon that player. He did that once and it seems he was warned about it by the powers that be. Moreover Leo is known to be a poison for managers, buying whomever he wants and telling the manager to make it work. Good managers can make it work but on the condition they have the freedom to work with the squad uninterrupted and have the autonomy in training and selections. It's clear PSG does not work in this manner.
The issue is that PSG have been playing the same way without Messi and whether their star players are on the field or not. Your point could make sense if it was something that started since Messi joined or if it was something that didn't apply to Di Maria, Icardi, Kean, Sarabia or Draxler. So unless the argument is that every single player in that team aren't following instructions then we have an issue when it comes to logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.