Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

Stay clear. He is not what we need. I'm not sure how much time he has left at PSG, but looks like they are unhappy already.

Conte is a far better coach than him, and has actually won things.

MalaysianRed7

No thank you. He’s obviously better than Ole due to how fit he makes his teams and the way they press with coordination, but if Ole can’t win trophies, then this guy is allergic to them. Forget not winning anything with Spurs’ best team since the 1961 double winning team, he somehow failed to win Ligue 1 last season despite having half a season to do so with a more valuable squad than everyone else combined. For me, Ole’s time here has been a general failure as no United manager should fail to win anything in 3 years, but what Poch did last season is the mother of all footballing embarrassments.

He’s also having as much trouble dealing with the big egos as Ole. Messi had a go at him simply for being substituted even though he was injured, Neymar and Mbappe have fallen out with each other despite being best friends during Tuchel’s entire tenure and he just cannot drop Di Maria for any prolonged period even though they look far better and more balanced without him. The reports of the manager failing to give fringe players a chance would resurface all over again. Guys like Pogba and Ronaldo will walk all over him like they’re doing to Ole, and I can already see the dressing room leaks about training being too hard once he makes them run 10km per day without a trophy to show for it at the end of the season. Conte has a much stronger personality than him.

This guy is also a whole new level of stubborn. It’s not just making his team far too lopsided to fit Di Maria in, it’s also not changing tack when his Spurs team didn’t win away domestically in his last 8 months in charge and sticking with that front 4 even though the defence was being torn apart. It’s also a myth that his style of play is total football. He presses high, yes, and his teams definitely do it better than Ole’s. However, this PSG side rely on the individual brilliance of their front 3 as much as us, and his Spurs team arguably did not play good football in his last 18 months there. Granted, it did work, but they counter attacked their way to the CL final. His teams have been tumescent for the last 2 years.

In a nutshell, I wouldn’t take him. It’d be like replacing Ole with a rich man’s Ole. Conte or Zidane would be far better options.

Reactions: Sultan

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No thank you. He’s obviously better than Ole due to how fit he makes his teams and the way they press with coordination, but if Ole can’t win trophies, then this guy is allergic to them. Forget not winning anything with Spurs’ best team since the 1961 double winning team, he somehow failed to win Ligue 1 last season despite having half a season to do so with a more valuable squad than everyone else combined. For me, Ole’s time here has been a general failure as no United manager should fail to win anything in 3 years, but what Poch did last season is the mother of all footballing embarrassments.

He’s also having as much trouble dealing with the big egos as Ole. Messi had a go at him simply for being substituted even though he was injured, Neymar and Mbappe have fallen out with each other despite being best friends during Tuchel’s entire tenure and he just cannot drop Di Maria for any prolonged period even though they look far better and more balanced without him. The reports of the manager failing to give fringe players a chance would resurface all over again. Guys like Pogba and Ronaldo will walk all over him like they’re doing to Ole, and I can already see the dressing room leaks about training being too hard once he makes them run 10km per day without a trophy to show for it at the end of the season. Conte has a much stronger personality than him.

This guy is also a whole new level of stubborn. It’s not just making his team far too lopsided to fit Di Maria in, it’s also not changing tack when his Spurs team didn’t win away for his last 8 months in charge and sticking with that front 4 even though the defence was being torn apart. It’s also a myth that his style of play is total football. He presses high, yes, and his teams definitely do it better than Ole’s. However, this PSG side rely on the individual brilliance of their front 3 as much as us, and his Spurs team arguably did not play good football in his last 18 months there. Granted, it did work, but they counter attacked their way to the CL final. His teams have been tumescent for the last 2 years.

In a nutshell, I wouldn’t take him. It’d be like replacing Ole with a rich man’s Ole. Conte or Zidane would be far better options.
@Amadaeus daddy is being attacked!!

alexthelion

I think we should be going for Poch. He’s a good coach and will implement a system which will allow us to develop a style of play currently missing under Ole.
I appreciate he’s not won a trophy yet but neither has Ole. I don’t see us getting Ten Hag and I wouldn’t touch Conte. Poch would be my answer. I feel he would leave PSG if we went in for him.
No thanks.

redrobed

Used to be Tottenham manager and was extremely well respected upto the point at which he just seemed to lose the dressing room. Made some very shrewd signings which would suit the Utd way - young, British players for (relative to their ability) small fees. The likes of Dele Alli (was very good at the time) for example.

If we’re taking a manager for the next 2-3 years I’d still take Conte but if we want someone for 5+ years I’m open to this. Could become a Utd legend.

I do think we need to drop this whole ‘who’s available’ thing. We’re Manchester United. Everyone is available to us.

L1nk

I find it hard to judge him on PSG especially after listening to Tuchel about his time at PSG and what he's done at Chelsea since. However his time at Tottenham isn't the most inspiring, i'd take him if we had little other options because I believe he's better than Ole, but i'd much rather Ten Hag or Marco Rose if we had the option at the end of the season

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Used to be Tottenham manager and was extremely well respected upto the point at which he just seemed to lose the dressing room. Made some very shrewd signings which would suit the Utd way - young, British players for (relative to their ability) small fees. The likes of Dele Alli (was very good at the time) for example.

If we’re taking a manager for the next 2-3 years I’d still take Conte but if we want someone for 5+ years I’m open to this. Could become a Utd legend.

I do think we need to drop this whole ‘who’s available’ thing. We’re Manchester United. Everyone is available to us.
I think Poch would do wonders for us. We need some identity. With this team he will win us some trophies.

Matthew84!

I think he'll be the one we go for, Zidane doesn't want to come and Conte will play a completely different style and need lots of different players.
Pochettino got the best out of Spurs youth players, not sure he needs to at PSG but least he's getting used to managing people with massive egos.

Mr Dilkington

I like Pochettino and think he could be a great fit for Utd.. get him in, he might be able to bring in Kane / Son, add Livramento and Rice / Bissouma and we’re talking.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think he’d be good but not great. I loved how he got Soton playing. His first few seasons at Spurs were great but they didn’t invest and 5 years of pressing meant his players all faded at once. At United, with their resources, that should be less of a problem. I think he’s a much better fit at United than PSG and he made Tottenham competitive in the Champions League.

tomaldinho1

This guy is also a whole new level of stubborn. It’s not just making his team far too lopsided to fit Di Maria in, it’s also not changing tack when his Spurs team didn’t win away domestically in his last 8 months in charge and sticking with that front 4 even though the defence was being torn apart. It’s also a myth that his style of play is total football. He presses high, yes, and his teams definitely do it better than Ole’s. However, this PSG side rely on the individual brilliance of their front 3 as much as us, and his Spurs team arguably did not play good football in his last 18 months there. Granted, it did work, but they counter attacked their way to the CL final. His teams have been tumescent for the last 2 years.

This comparison destroys your entire post, it just smacks of either agenda (hopefully it's this) or a complete and utter vacuum of footballing knowledge.

Mr Dilkington

I find it hard to judge him on PSG especially after listening to Tuchel about his time at PSG and what he's done at Chelsea since. However his time at Tottenham isn't the most inspiring, i'd take him if we had little other options because I believe he's better than Ole, but i'd much rather Ten Hag or Marco Rose if we had the option at the end of the season
He got Tottenham to the champions league final and had them consistently in the top 4 and almost challenging for the title. That without being able to splash the cash like city / united is pretty impressive in my book. And yes agree about PSG it’s hard to judge, don’t think anyone was raving about Tuchel when he was there.

Reactions: 711

mu4c_20le

Poch is out of his depth at a top club and has yet to show he isn't damaged goods from his final Spurs season.

Lyng

Sure lets replace one guy who cant win trophies with another guy who cant win trophies...

MalaysianRed7

This comparison destroys your entire post, it just smacks of either agenda (hopefully it's this) or a complete and utter vacuum of footballing knowledge.
Tell me what’s wrong with it? As the phrase goes, put your medals on the table.

Mr Dilkington

Poch is out of his depth at a top club and has yet to show he isn't damaged goods from his final Spurs season.
Klopp had a bad last season at Dortmund, Tuchel’s time at PSG was not all that impressive either, so you could have said the same about either. He was not backed at Tottenham and the last season was the result but he was not given a chance to turn it round.

tomaldinho1

Tell me what’s wrong with it? As the phrase goes, put your medals on the table.
It’d be like replacing Ole with a rich man’s Ole. Conte or Zidane would be far better options.
If Poch is a rich man's Ole, it suggests Ole is a poor man's Poch. Therefore you are saying Ole and Poch are the same stylistically, have the same strengths and weaknesses but Poch is just an upgrade. Maybe you weren't actually trying to say this and just used that expression (in the same way the 'medals on the table' phrase sounds a bit off (I swear this was a Pool thing?), whereas 'cards' on the table is the generic phrase).

If you are saying Poch is the same as Ole but just better, I'd disagree, he's better but he's different. Even if we ignore everything outside of his Spurs tenure, there are marked differences in how each coach sets up their team, how their team plays and only one of them has really built a team that punches above its weight.

If you were just trying to knock Poch as being a more expensive version of Ole, that just seems illogical if you've watched United under Ole versus Soton or Spurs under Poch. Even PSG who don't look particularly slick are getting very close to Tuchel's ppg record (Poch on 2.24 v Tuchel who left on 2.35) which has seen Poch have to divert from his preferred setup to accommodate the forward line he has. I actually don't know if he'd be my top choice at United but he is proven, has built an attacking team before and done impressively in a league where he was regularly outspent by ~4 other clubs every year, it's only on this forum where there is a group of very vocal and critical posters who resent him for being linked with Ole's job that he gets a hard time i.e. didn't win the league last year = fraud, wins the league this year = minimum requirement, wins the Cl this year = because of Messi, doesn't win the CL this year = fraud

FYI hasn't Zidane's agent fully ruled him out so he shouldn't even be in the equation?

L1nk

He got Tottenham to the champions league final and had them consistently in the top 4 and almost challenging for the title. That without being able to splash the cash like city / united is pretty impressive in my book. And yes agree about PSG it’s hard to judge, don’t think anyone was raving about Tuchel when he was there.
Whilst I agree with your general point, I don't remember ever being really excited by watching those Tottenham teams, it has to argue with the record though. Yeah Tuchel said it was hard and he had to manage players families and friends and it was a mess apparently, found it really difficult to manage and much prefers Chelsea, so I don't wanna throw the gauntlet down on Pochettino if he's having to deal with the same mess

He'sRaldo

Although I did like Poch previously, I think we need to be wary of him at this moment in time.

He shone when pressing was still a fairly novel concept in the PL, but with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Hassenhutl, and co, most PL teams have learned to both press effectively and also deal with the opposition's press, thus diluting his biggest strength.

I don't know how he would do if he were to manage Utd, but I do think he'd have done a lot better had we gotten him sooner. Right now, the PL is ready for his style of play.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He’s a system manager but he’s not good enough to implement his system in a top-club and neither is he authoritative enough to command a squad full of egos. We’re not going to give him full reign of the squad simply because he doesn’t deserve it (even at his best his football is not reaching the levels of Pep or even Tuchel/Ten Hag/ Nagelsmann) & his system wouldn’t work with a disjointed squad that doesn’t want to press high.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

He is playing Di Maria to compensate the lack of work rate from their superstars.

Agree that Conte should still be our choice.

romufc

He’s a system manager but he’s not good enough to implement his system in a top-club and neither is he authoritative enough to command a squad full of egos. We’re not going to give him full reign of the squad simply because he doesn’t deserve it (even at his best his football is not reaching the levels of Pep or even Tuchel/Ten Hag/ Nagelsmann) & his system wouldn’t work with a disjointed squad that doesn’t want to press high.
This is exactly what we are witnessing at PSG. PSG are almost identical team to ours.

Neymar Mbappe Messi although a better level is similar to having Rashford Ronaldo Greenwood Bruno

At PSG he has Verrati, Gini, Herrera, Gueye who are very good midfielders, yet he is struggling to get the balance, who is to say he can get it right at United with a worse of squad?

I cannot see us improving anytime soon, with any manager because the squad is so disjointed.

Ronaldo does not compliment the ones we have, the full backs dont compliment what we want to do, neither does the Midfield, or CB's.

Dan_F

Is there something I’m not getting? Top of Ligue 1 by 7 points in October and if they maintain these points over 38 games it will smash anything PSG have done points wise in the league. Beat Man City comfortably in the Champions League and is top of that group.

Of course last season was a bit embarrassing, but no more embarrassing for Poch than it was for Tuchel who handed that team over.

telstar96

So hard to gauge PSG and their managers. Tuchel got sacked and became an instant hit at Chelsea. Emery, who had the same points per game as Tuchel, left and was a failure at Arsenal but showed he's still a quality manager at Villareal. If Poch gets sacked, it could be great opportunity for another team to pick him up with no compensation. But then there are no guarantees in football.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Is there something I’m not getting? Top of Ligue 1 by 7 points in October and if they maintain these points over 38 games it will smash anything PSG have done points wise in the league. Beat Man City comfortably in the Champions League and is top of that group.

Of course last season was a bit embarrassing, but no more embarrassing for Poch than it was for Tuchel who handed that team over.
Unless he wins the CL he wont have done anything better than any of the previous managers, they have won the domestic treble 4 times in the last 5 years I think. As has been said before Tuchel has said about the behind the seen pressures at PSG, which probably took its toll on himover the seasons he was there. Ligue one looks very poor this year with teams like Lyon and Lille way off the pace, Nice is second right now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I really hope we find a manager before Poch is sacked from PSG.

Dan_F

Unless he wins the CL he wont have done anything better than any of the previous managers, they have won the domestic treble 4 times in the last 5 years I think. As has been said before Tuchel has said about the behind the seen pressures at PSG, which probably took its toll on himover the seasons he was there. Ligue one looks very poor this year with teams like Lyon and Lille way off the pace, Nice is second right now.
But why would any of that lead to him being under pressure now? Unless he’s expected to win a champions league in October, there isn’t really much he can do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.