Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
It’s a mystery to me that people think he is some sort of clogger. His Southampton were brilliant and he took Spurs to a champions league final. I would quite like to see what he can do with funds and being able to build a team he wants.
He was very fortunate to get to that final and was ultimately sacked by Spurs and has so far failed at PSG.

Ten Hag all the way, for me.

gajender

He developed Spurs brilliantly. But his work at the end of his time there (post CL final, signing Ndombele and co) and PSG (failing to win the league) has been disappointing.
I think he is a very good coach but he is more in the mould of early Mourinho rather than Guardiola whose teams are rather reliant on opposition's mistakes for openings by aggressively pressing but lack imagination and ingenuity if opponents aren't willing to engage.

Last edited:

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Not my cup of tea. I dont see a strong charismatic leader in him who can turn our misery into greatness.

Take the gamble in Ten Hag and potensial get the next big manager after Klopp and Pep.

Shark

@NotShark
This would be a joke. Appointing a manager who will win nothing and maybe get top 4 until he doesnt. The gimp needed Messi to win ligue 1 with PSG for goodness sake
He might win feck all but we've got to try something because our board and a section of our fan base only realised our previous manager was rubbish 2 years too late. We are where we are now. Completely desperate.

The key is to not offer any more long term contracts but with Woody still about we'll probably offer him seven years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Let's pump the breaks with this whole he isn't a winner narrative. He's managed Southampton and Spurs, and last year took over PSG in 3rd place and finished second. He's probably going to win that cake walk league in France this season with PSG as should be expected from anyone managing PSG. You lots make it sound like Poch not having won a trophy so far is this egregious fact when in reality he's only managed teams that aren't normally in the vicinity of trophies and surprise, surprise he'll probably win one as soon as he's in charge of a team that should be winning trophies.

It comes off completely disingenuous when people bring up the fact Poch hasn't won a trophy without mentioning the clubs he's been in charge of. The way some of you sound, one would think he's been in charge of a United or Madrid for 5 years and never won a trophy.
No, we won't pump any break, he isn't a winner. The Spurs team that he managed was on paper very talented and he didn't even win a cup. What is disingenuous is to pretend that Spurs weren't mainly the 4th-5th best team before Pochettino joined them and act as if he took a bottom table team to incredible heights.

UpWithRivers

The difference is that United only have 1 player who fit their front 3 description(Ronaldo) and you can make up for 1 lazy player while it's almost impossible to do so with all your front line being lazy.

To give people an idea of how PSG front 3 play, just take Ronaldo at his laziest, those times he just walks around on the pitch, that's exactly how PSG front 3 play all the time without the ball. They just walk around waiting to be fed the ball then will bother coming alive. Mbappe still has his run behind the defense occasionally but in general he's also a stroller. Your have 3 strollers as your front 3 then you aren't going to implement any type of effective pressing or high energy football. And it's not like Poch can do much to change that given they're all superstars who are untouchable.

With us you can get all of Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Bruno, etc to press and work hard off the ball if the coach wishes so, it's just a matter of coaching them how to do so effectively and in an organized fashion.
If you think any of them are hard working pressers then I dont know what to say. Maybe not as bad as Neymar and Mbappe but they would never get into the City/Liverpool teams if we were basing on hard working/pressing alone. You can add the likes of Pogba in there as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Of course the employer has a say, you can't unilaterally break a contract with fixed terms without cause. You can't buy the contract unless there is a buyout clause which is illegal in France. So in this case unless PSG are willing to accomodate Pochettino, it would end in court.
It should be same way it is for a player contract, shouldn't it? Meaning that if the selling club get's an offer they like, they can ask the player/manager to break the contract, allowing them to sign a new contract with a new club. This is all pending on the player/manager agreeing a new contract with the new club of course, not like American sports where the clubs can trade the contracts themselves.
Thanks both.

But is there not a roundabout way for managers because they can hand in a resignation? They forego any compensation but that can be made good by their next employer.

I am probably on the wrong lines.

JPRouve

Scout
If you think any of them are hard working pressers then I dont know what to say. Maybe not as bad as Neymar and Mbappe but they would never get into the City/Liverpool teams if we were basing on hard working/pressing alone. You can add the likes of Pogba in there as well.
People really need to stop with that Neymar does press and presses more than our starters. Mbappé is a different story, he has improved but defending isn't on his mind.

Jezpeza

He might win feck all but we've got to try something because our board and a section of our fan base only realised our previous manager was rubbish 2 years too late. We are where we are now. Completely desperate.

The key is to not offer any more long term contracts but with Woody still about we'll probably offer him seven years.
yes but i would avoid a manager with a shocking head to head record with the big teams in the league and who basically came to fame as a man who guided spurs from a mid table team to several top 4 finishes. He couldnt push on from that. And eventually regressed.

We have literally just sacked a manager for doing exactly the same thing, so Pochettino is 100% not the man for the job.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This would be a joke. Appointing a manager who will win nothing and maybe get top 4 until he doesnt. The gimp needed Messi to win ligue 1 with PSG for goodness sake
I don't really think PsG signed Messi for football reasons. If there were any, it would be UCL.

Gasmeter

11 years managing, and won 1 single trophy with a world class side. That's what people want? I honestly love to know why people say they "like" him. Based on what? His hair? His suits? One joker I read on here said they liked him because he beat City with Spurs. Sorry? So forget about the fact that he lost both legs against City in the Champions League, with a much better side?? A lot of people on here honestly baffle me.

I cannot believe we are going to end up with this guy, and we will too. I am completely open for any Pochettino supporters to sensibly try and convince me, with something more substantial than "oh he's a good manager". Explain how he is a good manager to me. Explain what exactly points to him bringing trophies back to our cabinets at Old Trafford. I understand everything in football is a punt in some sort of fashion, but look at the tats and hedge your bets. Go for the candidate that is most likely, and not just because he's a decent guy. Ole was a decent guy and got a few good results. But what pedigree did he bring with him? None.

Oh and for transparity, I am championing Ten Hag for the role, based on his youth work, Utrecht spell, and of course Ajax

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Tuchel reached the CL final where PSG played fairly well. Tuchel outside of the last season where he was limited by injuries and covid, did an excellent job and did far better than Pochettino.
Of course he did better given Poch hasn't even completed a proper full season there. Point still remains, Poch has already proven himself and his football with both Southampton and Spurs(a 7-8 years sample), we simply aren't going to dismiss all that because he's in charge of a team that has 3 strollers in attack. No one is properly implementing a high energy, pressing system with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe walking around, especially Messi who doesn't even attempt to put a leg in.

PSG right now is a team that will win you things mostly via induvial qualities of their front men but not because of any well drilled, machine like system given your entire attack won't put in the work.

Andersons Dietician

He was very fortunate to get to that final and was ultimately sacked by Spurs and has so far failed at PSG.

Please explain how he’s failed at PSG when in his first full season he is cruising the league and will likely qualify from a tough champions league group?
Lucky run to the final? There is no such thing. Also trophies don’t guarantee you sucess. Look at Jose, look at LVG. I prefer to look at the body of work of someone and how there teams perform and his teams perform well.

I’m not against Ten Haag I just have more faith in Pochetinho and think he’d be the man to get us competitive again.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
It’s a mystery to me that people think he is some sort of clogger. His Southampton were brilliant and he took Spurs to a champions league final. I would quite like to see what he can do with funds and being able to build a team he wants.
While classifying him as some sort of clogger would be unfair given what he has demonstrated over his career, it's worth bearing in mind not every manager can produce incrementally better performances and/or results with superior player-personnel ingredients or greater funds — in some cases, being in charge of upper echelon or technically superb players even can expose the shortcomings of coaches as they can't synthesize the perfect environment for the true difference-makers to excel (while operating within the collective framework).

And curiously enough, while Pochettino's teams are stereotypically rambunctious, willing to press and regimented for the most part, he might be the poster-child for that very good but not top, top category as his schemes and in-game approaches have certain limitations/flaws in comparison with Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel and the emerging guard spearheaded by Nagelsmann (who coach a more coherent and consistently attractive brand of football while maximizing the technical attributes of the best players and putting clear emphasis on optimized juego de posición models).

A lot of us just don't like the process of hiring Mauricio when you have some of the foremost schemers and innovators of the contemporary period in the same league; to go toe to toe with the best of the best, we need someone who can keep pace and occasionally out-think them from a tactical and conceptual perspective — and Pochettino, for all his qualities (which presumably attract United's board), doesn't appear to be the guy that will help us outperform and overcome City (at least while Guardiola is there), Liverpool and Chelsea on a semi-consistent basis.

Apologies for jumping in, by the way; I don't claim to know better, only wanted to share that opinion.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course he did better given Poch hasn't even completed a proper full season there. Point still remains, Poch has already proven himself and his football with both Southampton and Spurs(a 7-8 years sample), we simply aren't going to dismiss all that because he's in charge of a team that has 3 strollers in attack. No one is properly implementing a high energy, pressing system with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe walking around, especially Messi who doesn't even attempt to put a leg in.

PSG right now is a team that will win you things mostly via induvial qualities of their front men but not because of any well drilled, machine like system given your entire attack won't put in the work.
Tuchel had the team drilled for the most part and you don't have to implement a high energy pressing system. Football isn't played with a singular set of tactics. That kind of point kills me, it's as if adapting tactics to the qualities and flaws of your players was a crime.

RedRover

He developed Spurs brilliantly. But his work at the end of his time there (post CL final, signing Ndombele and co) and PSG (failing to win the league) has been disappointing.
I think it's fair to say it rarely ends well at any club, for any manager. Few go out on top and personally, I think the job he did at Spurs was a very good one. In fact, Levy had his time again I suspect he wouldn't have sacked him when he did. He's not a sure fire guarantee, but no manager is.

Ten Cate seems to be the popular choice but objectively speaking he's the bigger risk.

I find it odd that managers are now so highly hyped, suffer a setback and are immediately written off. Few top managers these days will ever have guaranteed success everywhere they go. Klopp has had his setbacks, and Tuchel. Pep, arguably not but he's had the luxury of being at the very top sides with money to burn. It's all fine margins in the game, given the quality the top sides operate at.

izec

While classifying him as some sort of clogger would be unfair given what he has demonstrated over his career, it's worth bearing in mind not every manager can produce incrementally better performances and/or results with superior player-personnel ingredients or greater funds — in some cases, being in charge of upper echelon or technically superb players even can expose the shortcomings of coaches as they can't synthesize the perfect environment for the true difference-makers to excel (while operating within the collective framework).

And curiously enough, while Pochettino's teams are stereotypically rambunctious, willing to press and regimented for the most part, he might be the poster-child for that very good but not top, top category as his schemes and in-game approaches have certain limitations/flaws in comparison with Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel and the emerging guard spearheaded by Nagelsmann (who coach a more coherent and consistently attractive brand of football while maximizing the technical attributes of the best players and putting clear emphasis on optimized juego de posición models).

A lot of us just don't like the process of hiring Mauricio when you have some of the foremost schemers and innovators of the contemporary period in the same league; to go toe to toe with the best of the best, we need someone who can keep pace and occasionally out-think them from a tactical and conceptual perspective — and Pochettino, for all his qualities (which presumably attract United's board), doesn't appear to be the guy that will help us outperform and overcome City (at least while Guardiola is there), Liverpool and Chelsea on a semi-consistent basis.

Apologies for jumping in, by the way; I don't claim to know better, only wanted to share that opinion.
I guess Ten Hag would be your favourite option for the permanent job?

JPRouve

Scout

Exactly. Hyperbole aside, Pochettino is a good manager and I wouldn't mind him on a short term basis but his tactics are flawed and limited, he also hasn't adapted and found solutions to issues that he has faced for almost half a decade.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Our guys don't press not because they necessarily aren't willing to but because they aren't properly instructed to nor "forced" to. A respected coach will get all of Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno etc to press, those players have pressed before. Rashford used to run like a mad man, Sancho pressed at Dortmund, Bruno presses and Greenwood is a young lad who can be told and taught to press. PSG's case is utterly different given those 3 superstars can simply refuse to press or not be willing to press at all despite instructions and there is nothing one can do. They are big superstars who can do whatever the hell they want with no consequences, nor are even willing to press at this stage of their career(Messi).

LDUred

Pochettino's preferred 4-3-3 formation would be easy to replicate with our squad. He'd just need to tweak things a little in the transfer windows and get better quality into that midfield.

I say bring him in. He's got experience of English football and unfinished business in terms of winning silverware.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ok seriously. This needs to stop. Have a look at neymar's defensive workrate compared to, say Sadio Mane. It's on fbref, just have a look

gajender

yes but i would avoid a manager with a shocking head to head record with the big teams in the league and who basically came to fame as a man who guided spurs from a mid table team to several top 4 finishes. He couldnt push on from that. And eventually regressed.

We have literally just sacked a manager for doing exactly the same thing, so Pochettino is 100% not the man for the job.
Spurs weren't mid table team when Pochettino joined them this myth needs to die they finished twice in top 4 under Redknapp and were regularly the best of the rest .

Jezpeza

Spurs weren't mid table team when Pochettino joined them this myth needs to die they finished twice in top 4 under Redknapp and were regularly the best of the rest .
well its even worse then because he never took them anywhere

romufc

Pochettino's preferred 4-3-3 formation would be easy to replicate with our squad. He'd just need to tweak things a little in the transfer windows and get better quality into that midfield.

I say bring him in. He's got experience of English football and unfinished business in terms of winning silverware.
Really? He normally played 4-2-3-1 with Alli behind Kane.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t think there is a perfect solution, and all the managers have big question marks. Saying that I feel pretty cold on Poch, but I think if we got him I’d probably warm to him pretty quickly.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Tuchel had the team drilled for the most part and you don't have to implement a high energy pressing system. Football isn't played with a singular set of tactics. That kind of point kills me, it's as if adapting tactics to the qualities and flaws of your players was a crime.
Poch's way is high energy and if it doesn't suit PSG then be it, but it doesn't mean it won't work for United. The likes of Pep and Klopp have singular and distinct philosophies and players have to be willing to adapt to their ways and those approaches have served them well.

So after seeing top managers such as Pep and Klopp force their players to adapt or walk, I'm happy with a manager who wants to stick to his philosophy and force his players to adapt. I'll take that over here at United, especially since the philosophy we're talking about is a modern brand of high energy, high pressing football.

JPRouve

Scout
Ok seriously. This needs to stop. Have a look at neymar's defensive workrate compared to, say Sadio Mane. It's on fbref, just have a look
They are in the same ballpark when it comes to pressure, tackles and interceptions?

Andersons Dietician

I agree he is a bit more structured and isn’t going to reinvent the wheel as such but I don’t agree he can’t compete or beat Klopp, Pep, Tuchel and the likes.

He took it to probably the best team I can remember seeing in the Premiership era and played a game against Pep which is arguably the highest quality game of football I’ve seen and beat him. I believe more than once, I’d need to check.

I’m not saying this is in anyway something that means he’ll join United, win the league at a canter because he beat pep in a couple of one off games but more so he clearly can compete against these guys.

He has also shown an ability to adapt and introduce a style in a few different formations so I find it quite confusing that there are so many posts on the forum making out like he is rubbish.

JPRouve

Scout
Poch's way is high energy and if it doesn't suit PSG then be it, but it doesn't mean it won't work for United. The likes of Pep and Klopp have singular and distinct philosophies and players have to be willing to adapt to their ways and those approaches have served them well.

So after seeing top managers such as Pep and Klopp force their players to adapt or walk, I'm happy with a manager who wants to stick to his philosophy and force his players to adapt. I'll take that over here at United, especially since the philosophy we're talking about is a modern brand of high energy, high pressing football.
So you are going to ignore the last 8 years and act as if Pochettino was an up and coming manager? Otherwise you do know that he isn't Guardiola or Klopp who both adapted their systems to the PL and their current set of players.

Pronewbie

Peep
I can only see Poch facing the same playing personnel problems here as with the PSG squad, unfortunately. Would be happy if he comes now though. If it doesn't work out he can leave at the end of the season and we go for someone like Ten Haag who appears to be more pragmatic and is working well with similar player types in the current Ajax team.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think it's fair to say it rarely ends well at any club, for any manager. Few go out on top and personally, I think the job he did at Spurs was a very good one. In fact, Levy had his time again I suspect he wouldn't have sacked him when he did. He's not a sure fire guarantee, but no manager is.

Ten Cate seems to be the popular choice but objectively speaking he's the bigger risk.

I find it odd that managers are now so highly hyped, suffer a setback and are immediately written off. Few top managers these days will ever have guaranteed success everywhere they go. Klopp has had his setbacks, and Tuchel. Pep, arguably not but he's had the luxury of being at the very top sides with money to burn. It's all fine margins in the game, given the quality the top sides operate at.
Very well put and smartly written.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes, actually Neymar rates higher in pressures and interceptions
That's the thing. People talk about Neymar and describe a player that is the opposite of what he actually is and it's insulting to put him next to Mbappé. The one issue I have with Neymar defensively is that it's easy to upset him and he starts hacking opponents, in the 90s many players would exploit that.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Now is as good a time as any to ask - with managerial contracts, its not a case of the employer having a say is it? His contract is just bought out by the interested party I assume?
The short answer is no. Poch has contracted obligations that stipulate the terms of work. There are no release clauses in French football.

The ony thing Poch can do is resign and forfeit the value of his contract within the contracted terms that stipulate resignation period etc. Managers, unlike players, are not counted as tangible assets so the two aren't comparable, even if their contracts both work short term.

I doubt a club like PSG has any type of "if x club comes asking then we release you" clauses, so this will ultimately be up to PSG to decide what they want to do. But given that they said no to 200 million euro from Real Madrid for Mbappe, I don't think they care one bit about a manager buyout. Poch leaves if PSG allows it, or he resigns

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I guess Ten Hag would be your favourite option for the permanent job?
Yep. Mostly because he appears to be an insightful and audacious coach who pays great attention to detail and educates his team to produce a fluid, proactive and intoxicating brand of football (both on the ball where they quickly identify solutions, and off the ball in terms of disrupting the opposition's rhythm/organisation), predicated on effective positional play formulae...the principles of which which can be scaled upwards with players of superior technical quality; and also fabricated two distinct but almost equally eye-catching teams at Ajax to highlight his malleability: with Frenkie as the puppeteer-in-chief through central regions augmented by the playmaking nous of Ziyech and Tadić — and now Haller as the spear tip with build-up frequently originating from wider regions with Antony, Tadić, Mazraoui. Though I will readily admit that I'm not 100% comfortable with him either, as while he has given a good account of himself as a tactician and coach, his effect is amplified by the culture/organization at Ajax and he might not succeed as a fish out of water at United; I just prefer the reasoning behind his prospective appointment vis-à-vis Pochettino, and would be more willing to take a risk in anticipation of a greater reward (ideally, the refurbishment of United as a club that is fully in-tune with present and future tactic/training related headwinds).

Swedish_Plumber

He’d consolidate us in the top 4, which is perfect for our board and owners.

The job he did with saints and spurs was fantastic. The PSG job is a no win situation for him. If he underachieves he’s seen as a massive failure and if he wins it’s all down to the squad in the minds of football fans.

OleGunnar20

While I think Ten Haag would be the best shout, Poch would be no doubt be a solid choice. Good football which suits our current squad, a decent track record with bringing on young talent and seems a likeable bloke to boot.

Ayye, Makes sense to me at least.

Nikelesh Reddy

Yup,let’s get a manager from the mighty Dutch league,I”m sure that will work out brilliantly….

Status
Not open for further replies.