Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

Like I said to the other guy, the possession was like the possession we had under LvG,
That's simply not true. Poch's Spurs was always in top 3 in GD, one time he even got a GD of 60+, that's only been matched by Liverpool and City post-SAF. What exactly do you want here? Your arguments against Poch don't really make any sense. It's like you're determined to hate him and tryng to find every excuse under the sun in order to have a valid reason to dislike him.

Devil may care

You said Atletico was bland in possession like controlling the ball was ever in their aim, they've always been a counter-attacking team. The closest example would be Jose's Inter. And yes, Spurs were good in possession. They regularly dominated other teams via the ball, were active and scored a lot of goals. Only ones that I would consider better at the time were Guardiola's City. Sure, you prefer Ten Hag, but let's not rewrite history here to make Poch look bad and Ten Hag look good. I remember back in the day everyone raving about Poch and how magnificient his Spurs team is. Now suddenly they're shit, not good enough, park the bus team. Ridiculous.
I never said anything about Atletico in possession, I said Simeone is a bland manager and so is Pochettino, I said they both favoured strong defensive structure as a priority and used lots of counter attacking, I said both approach big games negatively, all of which is true. It's got feck all to do with making Ten Hag look good, anyone with eyes can see his Ajax team play much better football than any Pochettino side, and yes I know Pochettino beat him, that's not the debate. I don't see us toppling City or Liverpool any time soon no matter who our manager is, I'd just like to be entertained while we try and Pochettino sides don't entertain me, and I'd love a manager that at least approached the big games with an intention to dominate as opposed to retreating and hoping to snatch something on the break, Ten Hag would bring that, Poch wont, it'll be more of what we've had for years when we play City, Liverpool or Chelsea in the league and any good team in Europe.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So you would want him over Ten Hag then, terrified he ends up replacing Pep at City in next couple of years.
Ten Hag isn't Pep. Unfortunately there is no option at that level. ETH is surprisingly older than both Poch and Pep too, yet is spoke about like the up and coming manager.

I think it's extremely close between Poch and ETH. If Poch is available now and seemingly hungrier for the job, even though he's at PSG, that puts him ahead in my eyes. If he wants till summer too then whoever has the better season will get the job if they want it.

Andersonson

Poch lost the dressing room quite quick at PSG, eventually at spurs too. He wouldn't last long with our players either.

Devil may care

That's simply not true. Poch's Spurs was always in top 3 in GD, one time he even got a GD of 60+, that's only been matched by Liverpool and City post-SAF. What exactly do you want here? Your arguments against Poch don't really make any sense. It's like you're determined to hate him and tryng to find every excuse under the sun in order to have a valid reason to dislike him.
Again equating goals across a season with being entertaining, Real Madrid had a record goal scoring season under Mourinho and I still thought they were boring compared to Barcelona and Dortmund of that period, it's like I'm sure Chelsea will score twice as many goals as Brighton and Leeds but if it was a choice between watching the 3 I'd prefer either of the latter. What I want is to actually enjoy watching us play and to have a style that is entertaining and can be used on the front foot in big games, I'm sick of passive, fetal position approaches any time we play someone good because we don't have a manager with the vision or belief in what his team can do, instead surrendering our game to try and nullify the oppositions strengths.

Sviken

Again equating goals across a season with being entertaining, Real Madrid had a record goal scoring season under Mourinho and I still thought they were boring compared to Barcelona and Dortmund of that period
To each his own. To me that Mourinho team was absolutely devastating and way more exciting than the already stale outdated tiki-taka shit. Don't know if you remember, but even casuals were calling Pep's Barcelona boring at that point because the did much of what you've just complained about. But as I said - to each his own. I myself have always been more of a fan of SAF/Klopp's rock n roll football than Pep's orchestra. Everyone has their taste.

Valencia Shin Crosses

To each his own. To me that Mourinho team was absolutely devastating and way more exciting than the already stale outdated tiki-taka shit. Don't know if you remember, but even casuals were calling Pep's Barcelona boring at that point because the did much of what you've just complained about. But as I said - to each his own. I myself have always been more of a fan of SAF/Klopp's rock n roll football than Pep's orchestra. Everyone has their taste.
Yeah that particular Madrid team were incredible to watch. And honestly Pep these days has a much more enjoyable style than he did back at Barca. Those teams were unbeatable but it did seem like in later years they simply toyed with the opposition trying to walk the ball in and keeping possession basically the whole game.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The Mourinho team was not more exciting than Pep’s Barca, stop this madness please.

Needham

Poch lost the dressing room quite quick at PSG, eventually at spurs too. He wouldn't last long with our players either.
The dressing room at PSG is unfindable while Poch gave up on the players at Spurs before they gave up on him. He was happy to leave. He'd definitely have something to prove at Utd, both to the players and the club. But I bet he can't sleep for bubonically creaming himself at the imminent prospect this very nighttime.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-paris-saint-germain/#:~:text=As individual matches evolved and,1 when out of possession.

I found this very insightful and it makes his achievements at Spurs all the more impressive for me. I think a lot of their progress under him can be attributed to his abilities as a manager and the coaches he works with.

Our squad is almost perfect for him now with the positional play he should look to adopt. Ronaldo/Cavani as the front target man with runners either side to create space. Every player would go up a gear and I think it would also make Ronaldo's game even better, if that is even possible.

Needham

" Each [of Poch's teams] could switch formations depending on the circumstances unfolding or the demands of a specific opponent – both while with and without possession."
Well, we haven't seen that for a while so if he can only do this he'll be an upgrade on almost every manager post-SAF.

croadyman

" Each [of Poch's teams] could switch formations depending on the circumstances unfolding or the demands of a specific opponent – both while with and without possession."
Well, we haven't seen that for a while so if he can only do this he'll be an upgrade on almost every manager post-SAF.
Yeah looking at the article makes me definitely warm to him potentially becoming our manager. I will just have to suck it up if Ten Hag ends up at one of our rivals.

Dansk

I don't recall him losing the dressing room at Spurs to any significant extent. They had a season that wasn't quite as good as the preceding three, where he had them playing some fantastic football and finished above City twice, including a season where they scored the most goals in the league and conceded the least. Then results dipped for a time and they had the opportunity to get Mourinho and went for it. Mourinho signed the day after Poch left. It was a business decision, not a case of the manager having outstayed his welcome. They came closer to winning the league than they have since the stone age, and they hoped that Mourinho might be the one to take them the last step of the way. It wasn't one of those untenable position situations.

And by the way, as soon as he left, they plummeted right back to the 6th-7th place territory from which he had elevated them. He did a fantastic job at Spurs, and once it became clear that Mourinho wasn't delivering, many of their fans bemoaned the loss of Poch. If anything, he had proven that he was ready for something bigger than Spurs.

As far as losing the dressing room at PSG, I don't remember the last time any coach really "had" the dressing room there. That club is unmanageable. The director and owners make all the real decisions and the head coach just oversees training and picks the team sheet. In an environment like that, no manager can be expected to command the respect of a bunch of notorious divas who do whatever the hell they want. In my book, it says nothing at all about the manager. PSG is a circus kept afloat by bottomless coffers.

We don't have an unusually unruly dressing room. With Pogba surely leaving in the summer, the main concern is gone. The rest have been no less accepting of their managers than is warranted. Given who we've had at the helm in the last eight years, you wouldn't expect the players to worhsip any of those.

Last edited:

croadyman

I don't recall him losing the dressing room at Spurs to any significant extent. They had a season that wasn't quite as good as the preceding three, where he had them playing some fantastic football and finished above City twice, including a season where they scored the most goals in the league and conceded the least. Then they had the opportunity to get Mourinho and went for it. Mourinho signed the day after Poch left. They came closer to winning the league than they have since the stone age, and they hoped that Mourinho might be the one to take them the last step of the way. Poch wasn't sacked in the "get out, we've had enough" sense. Spurs just tried to go for an upgrade. And by the way, as soon as he left, they plummeted right back to the 6th-7th place territory from which he had elevated them. He did a fantastic job at Spurs, and as soon as Mourinho didn't deliver, many of their fans bemoaned the loss of Poch.

As far as losing the dressing room at PSG, I don't remember the last time any coach really "had" the dressing room there. That club is unmanageable. The director and owner make all the real decisions and the head coach just oversees training and picks the team sheet. In an environment like that, no manager can be expected to command the respect of a bunch of notorious divas and superstars who led it get to their heads. In my book, it says nothing at all about the manager. PSG is a circus kept afloat by bottomless coffers.
Yeah people constantly mock him for finishing 3rd in that 15/16 season. They shouldn't have been thrashed at Newcastle but clearly their heads went after the Chelsea game.

If memory serves me right they also did well in 16/17 until bumping into West Ham at the new stadium and then Conte's Chelsea pulled away from them.

Slysi17

I could get behind him.

Especially if he goes on and leaves PSG for us.

I'd appreciate that. That's some commitment alright.
That's the appeal over Zinedine Zidane. Poch seems to really want the job unlike Zidane who doesn't fancy it. I definetly pick the guy who really wants the job every day of the week.

croadyman

That's the appeal over Zinedine Zidane. Poch seems to really want the job unlike Zidane who doesn't fancy it. I definetly pick the guy who really wants the job every day of the week.
Yeah his clear appetite for the job is definitely making my own little head to head with Ten Hag much closer

Devil may care

That Barcelona team was so good that teams were frightened of them and just sat ten deep which meant zero space with 20 players crammed into half the pitch at times. I remember Xavi saying it was hard to be exciting as teams weren't playing against them and asking "are we supposed to give them possession?". I prefer Klopp to Pep as well but Poch is neither Metallica or Mozart, he's more like Lionel Richie.

Devil may care

Yeah his clear appetite for the job is definitely making my own little head to head with Ten Hag much closer
His appetite is to get out of PSG moreso than specifically to come here though, we are just the only current pathway out he's got.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The longer the caf goes without a "Poch-now-vs-Ten-Hag-guaranteed-at-end-of-season" poll, the more the Glazers get to feel 'Poch now' must be good enough.

I'd go with that, too.

Which would you choose between:

1. Poch now
2. Rangnick now and Ten Hag guaranteed at the end of the season.

Do you think you could give them FIFA player card-type scores? (AKA ETH 90, Poch 86 that sort of thing.)
I think Ten Hag is the more progressive appointment. He has the potential, and I underline the word potential, to rival the very top managers. I think Pochettino is a little short of that but I would say he’s a slightly safer bet.

If you absolutely put me on the spot I would take Ragnick now and Ten Hag in the summer. Also in the hope Ragnick impressed, moved to a DOF role and dovetailed well with Ten Hag.

As for ratings, little clue. Maybe Poch with a PA of 180 and a CA of 175 and Ten Hag with a CA of 170 and a PA of 185. But I feel kind of silly even saying that. For reference I’d give Klopp and Guardiola 190. Numbers are irrelevant. It’s the concept.

Slysi17

His appetite is to get out of PSG moreso than specifically to come here though, we are just the only current pathway out he's got.
True but what really puts me off about Zidane is that he isn't interested in coming here. That really puts me off.

croadyman

Still willing to give him a chance to show me he can find the Pochettino of 2015-2017 again at this club. Yes I know that you are cold towards him which I get because Ten Hag looks like he could be special

croadyman

I think Ten Hag is the more progressive appointment. He has the potential, and I underline the word potential, to rival the very top managers. I think Pochettino is a little short of that but I would say he’s a slightly safer bet.

If you absolutely put me on the spot I would take Ragnick now and Ten Hag in the summer. Also in the hope Ragnick impressed, moved to a DOF role and dovetailed well with Ten Hag.

As for ratings, little clue. Maybe Poch with a PA of 180 and a CA of 175 and Ten Hag with a CA of 170 and a PA of 185. But I feel kind of silly even saying that. For reference I’d give Klopp and Guardiola 190. Numbers are irrelevant. It’s the concept.
Yeah I can't disagree with that and it would be my ideal solution IF we can't get Pochettino in the next few weeks. However if he's willing to push for a deal then going to fully get on board with the appointment.

Waynne

Ah Ronaldo as amazing as he can be is 36, I think he has a purpose but we have a lot of youth up front as well as Cavani. We have a lot of options upfront for someone brave enough to try them.
Solid point. I often overlook Greenwood which is criminal. He's got potential and in the hands of Poch I'm sure he'll reach that next level.
Since Poch favours a high pressing system, will someone like Ronaldo (at that age) be surplus to requirements?

I'd be in favour of shipping off Ronaldo if it meant Greenwood, Martial and Rashford are our front 3 and are firing on all cylinders on a consistent basis in a high pressing, high energy system with Bruno, Donny and a good ball playing DM anchor doing the hard yards in the middle.

This is what I was hoping for as well. Whatever happens I hope the club get the best possible appointment. We shouldn't settle for anything less than the best in all departments. If there's a tea lady with a Champions League winning medal, get her. All staff at the club should be best in class.

Last edited:

Devil may care

True but what really puts me off about Zidane is that he isn't interested in coming here. That really puts me off.
Oh I don't want Zidane either, I think he doesn't want to live in England period, plus I could never tell what his managerial style was, he had an incredible squad, charisma and an aura about him that players responded to, and his knack for in-game adjustments in the big matches was impressive, but week to week his Real Madrid team were just a functional unit with incredible midfielders and killers up top, there wasn't a distinctive style of play.

Still willing to give him a chance to show me he can find the Pochettino of 2015-2017 again at this club. Yes I know that you are cold towards him which I get because Ten Hag looks like he could be special
I just don't think he's going to bring the type of football I want to see regardless, and if we are just going to settle for boring football and hope for success to offset it then we might as well have went for Conte who is boring but has actually won major trophies.

Needham

At this point he is the overriding only choice. He wants out; Zidane wants in, - there, where Poch is. The stars are aligning. We have to get him. If we don't, I fear for Taiwan.

Newtonius

Going to be fuming if we end up going for Poch, it will be a massive improvement but it will also highlight even more the extreme ineffeciencies at the club. I know it was unfortunately a lot more than just logic when it came to Ole's situation but he should have gone in that winter period in 2019 before Bruno came in, and Pochettino was not only angling for the job prior to that point with Spurs banning all questions about it in press conferences but he was also fired in that period too it couldn't have been more obvious a play.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don't think that's the case. He's always been interested in the United job. The fact that he wants it now I think is a big plus for you because he's got lots of Premier League and Champions League experience and he works well with young players.

I've seen some on here saying he can't manage superstars as though that precludes him from managing your squad. How many superstars have United got? I think only one bona-fide one, in Ronaldo, and his professionalism is a different story to Neymar/Mbappe.

I think the United squad is well suited to him and he would be able to get the team a lot fitter and coached in pressing quite quickly. I think it's important that you get a modern coach in asap because your young players need quality coaching. 3 years of Ole and before that Mourinho's dated methods have been a massive waste. How much better would Rashford, Martial, Greenwood be now if they'd had 3-4 years of the type of coaching Son Heung Min, Kane and Dele Ali were getting?

Perhaps Ten Hag would be better, his football is a bit more stylish, but I think it's a risk to write off a season waiting and to think he'll just come in and impose that quickly and get used to the Premier League quickly, especially without the support he gets at Ajax. Actually, the notion that United might write off the season after 12 games is pretty scandalous when they could buy-out a coach (first choice or not).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I would be happy with Poch taking over Man Utd with a three year contract and ten Hag staying at Ajax!

RedDevil@84

I would be happy with Poch taking over Man Utd with a three year contract and ten Hag staying at Ajax!
Not gonna happen. City know Pep is leaving and they will have a replacement plan. They laid groundwork for Pep. May put similar work by getting what Ten Haag wants at the club to get him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not gonna happen. City know Pep is leaving and they will have a replacement plan. They laid groundwork for Pep. May put similar work by getting what Ten Haag wants at the club to get him.
For me City are going for Enrique.

Enrique did well after Pep at Barcelona.

Enrique may be targeted after Pep to do the same thing.

Plus Enrique seems really uninterested about the United job because he has the Spain one already - but after that I have a feeling his job has already been agreed with City.

RkkMan

This is just to show people questioning Poch's struggles at PSG. A lot of background politics makes it twice as hard for any manager there

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not sure I buy that. Getting in the wrong manager is the biggest risk. Another Mourinho would destroy us!
If he a new manager comes in and fecks up big time then we'll sack him. That's what we did with failures including the last one who spent 415m and won nothing. Former Players FC and the University of Bristol mob linger because they are unaccountable. We thought that we'll see the back of them with Ole's sacking and Woodward leaving. It wasn't the case at least since the time of writing.

We need someone to go in and kick a proper hornet's nest. Rangnick has the arrogance and the administration/management experience to do that.

Micky Targaryen

This is just to show people questioning Poch's struggles at PSG. A lot of background politics makes it twice as hard for any manager there
No point in trying to convince those that already made up their minds on Poch. Context doesn't matter to them, never mind the fact that Tuchel underperformed at PSG, and then joined Chelsea and won the feckin UCL. They will keep on babbling about no trophies, can't even win Ligue 1 etc.

AneRu

He's like my nightmare for a manchester united manager.

Look at the way the club was desperately hanging onto Ole as he went one low to another. He'll probably be too good to actually to sink to the depths Solskjaer had to get himself sacked. So we'll be stuck with him in 3rd-4th place for 6 years, with nothing else to show for it.
This could be a worry but then he is better than Ole, has been wanted here for years by the hierarchy which isn't afraid of spending good money and we already have a good squad albeit one that needs some panel beating so he could break that barrier and deliver a trophy or two.

I think the first step is to establish ourselves as a bona fide top four club, like Ole had achieved then take the next step which is to challenge. I want Ten Hag but let's be honest he isn't keen on coming here and probably knows that he is first on the list for City, Bayern or Juve who are better settled and easier to win with than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.