Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's new but not really a strong link. It's from an article talking about all options and how United may be thinking.
Thanks.

Seems some cherry picking of quotes happening on the United information gathering twitter handles like United District.

For example Julien Laurens has just said on Talk Sport to stress that no contact has been made between United and Poch or the club. Nor has Poch asked to leave.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'll be delighted. Sure there are big question marks over him but we already missed out on the only real certainty for trophies (Conte) and the fact that he's desperate to manage us, has a history of building teams that play good football and seems to be a genuinely good guy who the Spurs fans absolutely adored makes him exactly what I want. Ten Hag seems like a really popular choice on here but there are a hell of a lot of question marks over whether he can make the step up, too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ment to write Vertonghen and Dembele.

I agree they where highly rated prospect, but thet had not done much at all at a high level. No one is trying to argue that they were players without potential that Pochettino somehow transformed by a magic trick.

And quite a few of them did not look good at the point when he came in. Eriksen looked slow and weak in 13/14. Pochettino playing him wide, where he got more time and space, helped him alot. While you are right about Rose, he had approx 2 000 minutes in total at left back in the PL at the age of 24 when Pochettino came in.

I think it was a similar story at Southampton where Liverpool somehow ended up buying Lovren, Clyne, Lallana and Lambert. He made them look better than they were.
Now you see that's my point and where I disagree with some. People have actually insinuated that he transformed duds with a magic trick while I said that he didn't, he is a good coach that helped talented players achieve their potential. Why people see that as a criticism or underrating is a mystery, I simply don't think that he transformed anyone and I simply think that there is at least two tier of manager above him.

Cloud7

I just realized he's two years younger than Ten Hag. For some reason I expected Ten Hag to be in his late 30s or early 40s.
Someone pointed out that Ten Haag is actually older than Pep, which was startling to me as well. He's definitely aged well. Looks really young.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel weird about this one.

Poch was my choice to succeed Sir Alex (after it became apparent Pep was off to Bayern), was my choice to succeed Moyes, was my choice to succeed van Gaal, was my choice to succeed José, but now I'm just not feeling as confident.

It feels like we waited too long. To me, anyway. Still, I'm not against it, and, if it does happen, that feeling of hope will return, so there's that.

justboy68

Very confident this is happening and happening fast.

It all lines up. Zidane the ideal galactico manager for PSG and Poch the ideal manager for us, who we know SAF and the club have liked for a while.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Thanks.

Seems some cherry picking of quotes happening on the United information gathering twitter handles like United District.

For example Julien Laurens has just said on Talk Sport to stress that no contact has been made between United and Poch or the club. Nor has Poch asked to leave.
They literally have a game tomorrow and we have one today. Things should become clear after. Or possibly even when Pochettino speaks today.

Cloud7

If he has one foot out, there's no way PSG allow him to take charge of such an important fixture.
I don't think there's an alternative? All their coaching staff seem to be guys that Poch took there. The game is tomorrow, I don't think they can get an adequate stand in in that time. Maybe a youth team coach or something I guess.

largelyworried

Ole spent a lot less and that wasn't the question, Genius...

Its a simple fact, Poch spent a lot of money at Spurs, isn't a bad thing, but he didn't win anything despite the spending,

Yes that spending is dwarfed by Chelsea, United and City, but Leicester also managed to win the Premier League spending similar amounts to Poch's Spurs above said clubs.

I don't think what I am saying is controversial in any way really.
You really don't understand why spending £400M in 2 and a half seasons and spending £400M in 5 seasons arent the same thing?

Jezpeza

Genuinely among the most laughable things I’ve read on any forum. Has to be trolling.

All he needed was lows 80’s? All he needed was to get a points total that had never been reached in this history of the club? At least not until Poch would eventually reach 86 points in 2017, which was and is the highest points total in their history.

That really demonstrates how ridiculous some of these anti-Poch arguments are. He got Southampton to their highest ever league position and Spurs their highest ever points total. These clubs are nearly 150 years old and Poch took them to unprecedented heights. “But muh trophies”…Absolute nonsense.

This is beyond belief at this point, the agenda against Poch from some on here is bizarre. He’s not above criticism and certainly you can point to failings in the market and the issues he had towards the end but to act like it was a failing of Poch because he didn’t win the league at Spurs is just stupidly.
you just like poch. Its not trolling its just the truth. It was there for the taking that season with the spurs side he had and the form other top teams were in. Thats how Leicester won it. He will win jack all here. He’s a nearly man

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The key cog in all of this is Zidane I think, and here is what Julien Laurens said about Zidane - "I think Zidane will come in to replace him, but one small thing for Zidane is the French National team. He knows when Deschamps steps down then it's there for him. But he's keen on PSG and they're keen on him. For Poch I feel there is no value keeping him if he doesn't want to stay. They may as well let Poch go and bring Zidane for free"

^ Just retyped what he said on TalkSport

JPRouve

Scout
Thanks.

I will say it once again Laurens is an hack, some of the things he said yesterday comes from things that were said on RMC radio a bit earlier. I have no proof but I highly suspect that it was his source and most of was speculation and opinions from pundits in a show named l'After Foot, at the end of that Fred Hermel said that of course PSG have been in contact with Zidane and that it's true for all managers, everyone is in contact with everyone but that there is currently nothing, he added that he personally believes that Zidane could be tempted by PSG but that he has reservations due to his attachment to Marseille.

KingCavani

you just like poch. Its not trolling its just the truth. It was there for the taking that season with the spurs side he had and the form other top teams were in. Thats how Leicester won it. He will win jack all here. He’s a nearly man
A nearly man?

He’s 11 points clear in the league this season. Dropped less points than we have in the last 2 games. But I guess that doesn’t count because it’s PSG, but he should have gotten 90 points with Spurs.

Embarrassing to read. What did this man do to you?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Thanks.

That's been my feeling too, so far I've seen nothing except speculation and the usual made-up claims of being in the know.

The thing is though, the publicity has been massive, and the longer it goes on the more I think 'if it isn't true then why hasn't Pochettino come out and denied it?'.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I will say it once again Laurens is an hack, some of the things he said yesterday comes from things that were said on RMC radio a bit earlier. I have no proof but I highly suspect that it was his source and most of was speculation and opinions from pundits in a show named l'After Foot, at the end of that Fred Hermel said that of course PSG have been in contact with Zidane and that it's true for all managers, everyone is in contact with everyone but that there is currently nothing, he added that he personally believes that Zidane could be tempted by PSG but that he has reservations due to his attachment to Marseille.
Is he really :lol: I always thought he is a man of opinion more than a man of actual sources of inside information (generally speaking). But I thought for French football he must have some sources.

I'm glad you told me this actually, I'll take his words with a pinch of salt from here on.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
My first introduction to Poch was when his Southampton side played us off the park in SAF last season. Mightily impressed that day with the work ethic, shape and technical ability on show.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So he doesn't have sources at PSG?

Skills

Snitch
If he was there man all along, why didn't they hire him after he was sacked by Tottenham?

Jezpeza

A nearly man?

He’s 11 points clear in the league this season. Dropped less points than we have in the last 2 games. But I guess that doesn’t count because it’s PSG, but he should have gotten 90 points with Spurs.

Embarrassing to read. What did this man do to you?
Its not embarassing. He flopped ligue 1 with PSG last season and needed lots of spending and messi to win it. He didnt do anything. Its just obvious that if you sack a manager who cant win anything but gets top 4 every season why replace them with a manager who has had that ceiling in the PL its like continuing the dark ages.

justboy68

The +60gd Poch achieved with Spurs is seriously impressive and higher than any United have achieved since 1906! Funny fact about that 1906 season too. We finished 2nd.

L1nk

I think, regardless on if you like him or not, think he's good enough or not, people need to get used to Pochettino either coming here in the next couple of weeks, or in the summer - there's like a 99% chance it happens at this point as the board seem to be hung up on him, so make your peace now i'd say

JPRouve

Scout
So he doesn't have sources at PSG?
Few actually have sources and they aren't working for foreign papers. And I have never seen him say anything that isn't openly discussed in french sport talk shows.

largelyworried

Thanks.

With a situation like this it'll all be through intermediaries anyway. United won't contact Pochettino directly, that would just piss off PSG, they'll contact the club first. But they wont want to contact PSG til they know he's interested, so they'll be finding out if he's interested from 3rd parties. So no direct talks, but that's not the same as no interest.

spiriticon

Its not embarassing. He flopped ligue 1 with PSG last season and needed lots of spending and messi to win it. He didnt do anything. Its just obvious that if you sack a manager who cant win anything but gets top 4 every season why replace them with a manager who has had that ceiling in the PL its like continuing the dark ages.
I'm not crazy about Poch myself but let's be honest here, Messi has hardly set the world alight for PSG

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

10million is peanuts. We will be turning over 700mil this season.

Interesting to see how Ten Hag responds.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd back most new managers joining, even more so now due to the incompetence that continues to run throughout the club above them.

Apart from Brendan Rodgers. Booo ! Boo that man !

CG1010

Didn't you guys see that the club statement on Ole specifically said they will be bringing in someone INTERIM for this season. Kind of rules Poch out for now right? He can be in it for after end of the season though.

Ixion

I wanted Ten Hag rather than Poch but he is a good coach and will be an improvement. Whether he is an elite one we'll have to wait and see, I would respect it if he came midseason and passed up potentially winning the league and a better shot at the CL than we can give him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Didn't you guys see that the club statement on Ole specifically said they will be bringing in someone INTERIM for this season. Kind of rules Poch out for now right? He can be in it for after end of the season though.
Things change. Also, we're abit of a mess anyway. Say one thing, do another.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was not known that Poch would be really keen to come immediately. I think the thought at the time was that Poch/Ten Hag would prefer to come in the summer.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Things can change quickly. Poch obviously wants to come here now. Its sensible from his point of view. He needs this season to evaluate the squad and have his transfer targets in place for Jan and the summer.

adkb

Can we please get a manager who will get the best out of our players, recruits properly and have a style of play? That is seriously all I want. For us to go toe to toe with City and Pool seems like a pipe dream. I just need there to be a manager who is the least of our problems. I liked Ole and was hoping he would get us going but it never happened and we need to move on.

But can we please address the madness of stealing a manager from none other than PSG mid season? Jesus. We must be going full on crazy. I love every bit of it, but its still madness personified.

Status
Not open for further replies.