Pogba-Fred-McTominay Trio

Skills

Snitch
Looks promising. More dynamic without Matic and I think Fred moves the ball better than Herrera.

Definitely worth persisting with till the end of the season because if McTominay or Fred establish themselves as certified first choices, we've got one less thing to worry about in the summer.

Raw

I hope it works out, it would save us from having to buy 2 top top class midfielders.

We still need midfielders though for depth, but hopefully it won't become such a pressing matter (like our fecking right side).

Skills

Snitch
I hope it works out, it would save us from having to buy 2 top top class midfielders.

We still need midfielders though for depth, but hopefully it won't become such a pressing matter (like our fecking right side).
I'd love a Bernardo Silva. Someone who can play on the right, but then also start in midfield to help us blitz through the bottom half teams. With another option on the right to stretch the pitch, or come off the bench to add some pace into the game.

Toad

I have got to say it, McTominay has completely changed my point of view on him. He is really stepping up when needed. Yes we lost the game but if it wasn’t for our midfield we would have most likely conceded a few more. Hope Ole manages McTominay the right way because there is a fantastic player in there.

I think Fred still has a few mistakes in him but you can see a noticeable improvement.

Xaviboy

Herrera and Matic to go and we should bring Ngdombele from lyon and Doucoure from Watford. Energy and muscle.

Raw

Herrera and Matic to go and we should bring Ngdombele from lyon and Doucoure from Watford. Energy and muscle.
Nah keep Matic at least. We need the depth and I think he'll be okay with a lesser role in the team. Our midfield depth is pitiful, outside of the trio in the OP we have Matic, Herrera (leaving) and Pereira.

Woodenlung

Fred played very well last night and indeed against PSG. But that was in a ball winning, water carrying sort of role. Now he needs to show he can play well when we dominate possession and are expected to create clear cut chances.

Same with McTominay really.

willhse456

Fred played very well last night and indeed against PSG. But that was in a ball winning, water carrying sort of role. Now he needs to show he can play well when we dominate possession and are expected to create clear cut chances.

I think that's his position, and Mourinho was just using him wrong. Fred was considered by City in the summer to compete with Fernandinho and you can see why.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The midfield looked good, they need more games to really see if we can rely on them.

Snafu17

McTominay and Fred played well last night and there's certainly potential there but we can't really rely on them just yet.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes impressed with Fred and McTominay last night.

Not so impressed by Rashford who I think was poor and should have been replaced, or maybe even not started considering his poor form. Martial should have played.

AgentP

Love these two. They are such a contrast to the Matic and Herrera partnership. They are more dynamic and forward thinking with their football. The ball is moved quicker and with more purpose.

I've said already we should play Fred, McTominay or Pereira if Herrera is definaltey leaving. He shouldn't get anymore game time for the rest of the season, let's give minutes to the players that will be here next season.

TRUERED89

I've been impressed with McT for months now, people have only just jumped on the bandwagon after last night. He's a great prospect and should start all games until the end of the season! Dominating the MF with Busquets, Rakitic & Arthur in it should not be overlooked. Fred was all over Messi too, great MF performance from the lads shame the attack so was tepid and lacked the cutting edge required. Maybe Martial should have started! Also Dalot must score that header :eek:, I feel like Barca had more gears to go up last night but they were still there for the taking imo. More of the same at Nou Camp lads we'll have more space because they'll want to attack way more in-front of their own fans! You just never know what can happen in this crazy game called football!

tomaldinho1

Pogba looked the weak link in that setup last night weirdly. McT covers any inexperience/shortcomings with a huge engine and he's improving rapidly & Fred is much better in that deeper role where he's linking stuff up moving us, as a team, up the pitch.

I don't really get where or what Pogba is doing in our system, he seems to just roam against weaker teams (probably why he's good at finding pockets of space) but against all the bigger clubs he isn't really involved, he didn't play poorly or anything but was definitely outshone by McT & Fred.

I still think we should buy another dynamic CM, someone like Ndombele who can do a bit of everything, and move Pogba forward into a 10 role. This would be reliant on good wing backs but something like this:

McT -- NDombele - Fred
--------- Pogba ---------
--- Martial--Rashford---

Wallez

@tomaldinho1 I absolutely hate these stupid diamont-ish formations without wingers. It is a necessary tool against better teams, but we seem to create absolutely nothing going forwards using these formations. Our full-backs doesn't provide the necessary width to our attacking play, which leaves our winger-less formations extremely easy to defend against.

TRUERED89

Pogba looked the weak link in that setup last night weirdly. McT covers any inexperience/shortcomings with a huge engine and he's improving rapidly & Fred is much better in that deeper role where he's linking stuff up moving us, as a team, up the pitch.

I don't really get where or what Pogba is doing in our system, he seems to just roam against weaker teams (probably why he's good at finding pockets of space) but against all the bigger clubs he isn't really involved, he didn't play poorly or anything but was definitely outshone by McT & Fred.

I still think we should buy another dynamic CM, someone like Ndombele who can do a bit of everything, and move Pogba forward into a 10 role. This would be reliant on good wing backs but something like this:

McT -- NDombele - Fred
--------- Pogba ---------
--- Martial--Rashford---
I guess you don't want a RW then? we should play with width imo

-----------Ndombele/Fred-----------

------------McT------------Pogba-----

--RW-----------Rashford-----------Martial-----

Imagine Ashley Young knew how to cross a ball as a professional:lol:, he had 11 opportunities to whip them in and wasted them all, the one time we got a good cross in (via Rashford) we should have scored. I'm sure if Dalot was playing there last night we would have scored atleast 1, Young is done here!

Last edited:

Jeffthered

I like it, but it doesn't negate the need to add quality. With Matic, it is a good Midfield four. But.. but... it needs to set a consistent standard of performance, and neither McTominay nor Fred have shown or achieved that quite yet. But.. it is hopeful. For some games, many games in fact, it could be a super midfield three.

What I would say, is that we need more 'magic', consistently (and I do not mean every single match, just consistently) from the/our front-three. A Mane. Hazard. Even a Son at Spurs would make a HUGE difference to our whole team. Unfortunately, whether talent, or form, it seems we don't have that level of impact and consistent quality from our forwards. Rashford is Rashford, and I feel is the nub of our immediate attacking future. But Lindgard, Martial, Lukaku, Mata..... sorry, I just wish I could rely on them far more.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Deffo liking the look of McTominay more and more, but Fred's still lacking something for me.

Raw

I like it, but it doesn't negate the need to add quality. With Matic, it is a good Midfield four. But.. but... it needs to set a consistent standard of performance, and neither McTominay nor Fred have shown or achieved that quite yet. But.. it is hopeful. For some games, many games in fact, it could be a super midfield three.

What I would say, is that we need more 'magic', consistently (and I do not mean every single match, just consistently) from the/our front-three. A Mane. Hazard. Even a Son at Spurs would make a HUGE difference to our whole team. Unfortunately, whether talent, or form, it seems we don't have that level of impact and consistent quality from our forwards. Rashford is Rashford, and I feel is the nub of our immediate attacking future. But Lindgard, Martial, Lukaku, Mata..... sorry, I just wish I could rely on them far more.
Exactly. In an ideal world Fred and McTominay would work out just fine but of course we'll need quality additions. Bruno Fernandes seems like someone that could be cheap-ish and do well for us.

Quite a few of our fans focus on our defence as the biggest need for investment but as you said, our attack needs it the most. It's full of inconsistent players (Rashford, Martial) or players with garbage attacking stats (Lingard, Mata). Comparing our attack with the other top 6 teams, it really falls short. Liverpool have a phenomenal attacking trio, City have a ridiculous wealth of attackers, Chelsea have Hazard (they need top reinforcement too), Spurs have Kane and Son and Arsenal have Aubameyang and Lacazette. They all have consistently good attacking players, we don't.

freeurmind

weak willed
If Herrera really is off to PSG, it makes sense to play these 3 at least till the end of the season. Hopefully Pereira and Garner can get some minutes as well.

freeurmind

weak willed
Also, I'd like to see Lingard given some opportunities on the right side of the 3.

TRUERED89

Also, I'd like to see Lingard given some opportunities on the right side of the 3.
He's had opportunities on the right of a front 3, plenty actually. I'm a fan of Lingard but since his return from injury he's done absolutely nothing, I hope he can switch it back on ASAP. More of the same at Nou Camp boys nothing to lose, no shame in losing to Barca as long as you give it a real go (like last night). Just lacked that extra edge to score, but everything else was really impressive!

passing-wind

It's all good saying this but there's a reason why Fred is viable in Europe and absolutely useless in the league, he struggles with the intensity and tempo.

You have to think at a more accelerated pace and that's why he's easily dispossessed and has no awareness of space. It's silly little mistakes that's cost us in recent weeks and it's not worth the risk of including him for league games unless there is an injury crisis.

But 100% agree with dropping Matic, he is a liability in possession of the ball.

freeurmind

weak willed
He's had opportunities on the right of a front 3, plenty actually. I'm a fan of Lingard but since his return from injury he's done absolutely nothing, I hope he can switch it back on ASAP. More of the same at Nou Camp boys nothing to lose, no shame in losing to Barca as long as you give it a real go (like last night). Just lacked that extra edge to score, but everything else was really impressive!
He's had some sloppy moments no doubt, giving away the ball a few times but I think his movement off the ball and intensity he brings wold be beneficial to our transition play. Lingard isn't perfect but there really isn't anyone else in the team who offers what he can.

deadrevelz

Up until last night I thought Fred had always performed better when higher up the pitch, creating chances from possession. So I don't think it's an issue.

deadrevelz

McTominay was very good last night but shouldn't put too much pressure on him. He's gone from worst player ever to our midfield salvation over a few games. He's going to have some bad games too. Fred still isn't guaranteed to adapt to the PL and Pogba might leave, so not a good idea to put so much faith in this midfield three...

TRUERED89

He's had some sloppy moments no doubt, giving away the ball a few times but I think his movement off the ball and intensity he brings wold be beneficial to our transition play. Lingard isn't perfect but there really isn't anyone else in the team who offers what he can.
Agreed, Bench Lukaky for Nou Camp. Try Martial at 9.

Rashford------Martial-----------Lingard-----

They can interchange during the game, and see how it goes! I know Barca were taking it a bit easy last night and they have a few more gears in them certainly, but they can be got at! The tie isn't over!

TRUERED89

McTominay was very good last night but shouldn't put too much pressure on him. He's gone from worst player ever to our midfield salvation over a few games. He's going to have some bad games too. Fred still isn't guaranteed to adapt to the PL and Pogba might leave, so not a good idea to put so much faith in this midfield three...
He's not had one bad game under Ole, and that clown Jose had him playing CB. He was never the worst, heck Pogba has had worse performances than anyone in the squad!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Looked promising but we still need a press-resistant ball-manipulator I think, similar to the Silva brothers. Scott is starting to look like a promising ‘British’ midfielder in the traditional sense, as in, good power, engine and covers both boxes well, but not seen the close ball control yet.

Perhaps Angel Gomes will provide the answer.

All three were good last night, in particular Fred and McTominay. They now have to keep building on it and show they can perform when they're being pressed and bullied by some of the less technically adept PL teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's not had one bad game under Ole, and that clown Jose had him playing CB. He was never the worst, heck Pogba has had worse performances than anyone in the squad!
For about one football match.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jose only played him a handful of times and it was more than one game at CB, he hasn't been the worst of our midfielders, far from it.
Any accusation that Jose was bad for McTominay has no credibility at all. None. People just love to complain about caf villains.

Canagel

It's better than the Herrera/Matic combo. Still lacks someone to open up a defence even more but until the end of the season it should remain like this.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We still need them to start. Pogba, fred, McTominay is still miles off what a team like United should have in midfield. It's good to have good competition in midfield, but as of now, we need better then 2 of those 3 anyway in the starting 11. Fred could be a high quality rotation option with McTominay as a back up, but we definitely need a massive upgrade there if we want a step up as a team. Our best performances come when our current midfielders manage to all put in amazing performances, which is rare.

We could probably get away with 1 top midfielder and 1 depth/potential option, if the top midfielder was the right player. Just like in defence we would be ok with going full time with Dalot basically if we signed a CB like Van Dijk. I'd still say 2 midfielders are needed though, and probably starting caliber players.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

Any accusation that Jose was bad for McTominay has no credibility at all. None. People just love to complain about caf villains.
Lets bring Jose back then!? He was completely in the wilderness, not even rotting on the bench, rotting at home! Jose had given up on him completely, there's no way he would of played any CL games or important PL games under him! He would of persisted with Matic until the end of time.