Pogba

Corridor of Uncertainty

Italian clubs love a freebie too, Juve signed Ramsey & Rabiot on a free, Inter signed Di Vrij & Calhanoglu, Barca got Depay, Eric Garcia, Aguero on a free, Madrid got Alaba on a free, these are fairly recent examples, it happens a lot everywhere.

The point is any top player in free agency will be in high demand by top clubs.
With the exception of maybe Alaba, no-one will have been asking for anywhere near the amount that Pogba and Raiola will be, reducing his number of clubs further.

Last edited:

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Some players are not worth the effort regardless of how talented they are if they’re not a team player - on that score Pogba is a liability

Infra-red

It is inevitable he come back into the team and shines under Rangnick then leaves for free to PSG.
Let's hope so. That's the ideal scenario.

We don't want him signing a new deal, but we will need all the bodies the in squad to get through the congestion in the second half of the season.

Classical Mechanic

We're still as thick as shit then.
My interpretation is that it’s so quiet because he’s hoping something better will come along, possibly Real if Mbappe falls through. I doubt any club will offer him £400k a week in this climate. Perhaps PSG would be he is a fan of their local rivals and has said he’d never play for them. The PSG ultras have put up anti-Pogba banners in response.

jeff_goldblum

If we end up paying him 400,000 a week for the next 4 years it'll be one of the stupidest decisions the club has made in nigh-on a solid decade of stupid decision-making.

OmarUnited4ever

With the exception of maybe Alba, no-one will have been asking for anywhere near the amount that Pogba and Raiola will be, reducing his number of clubs further.
Of course, Raiola will demand huge salary for Pogba & a huge fee for himself, so that would significantly limit the number of top clubs that will be interested.

::sonny::

The Pogba legacy

I will never forget his and Ole legacy (one of the darkest period in United history)

crossy1686

career ending
So the question is, if no one offers him the kind of money he’s looking for in the next few months, do we pull our offer and tell him he’s no longer wanted at the club past the contract, or do we let him stay on until he signs a bumper deal?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The Pogba legacy

I will never forget his and Ole legacy (one of the darkest period in United history)

Come on, mate. Granted, they haven't actually lit up Old Trafford with glory but it wasn't that grim. A number of semi-finals, a final, a second-place finish and qualifying for Europe over consecutive seasons. We also had a number of notable results during their years together.

Yes, it's time to part ways and start a new chapter for the club. However, even that does not guarantee future success.

wise_old_man

Nailed on for PSG.

We all know how much they love a freebie. Raiola already has a couple of clients there (Donnarumma and Verrati) and the club will love the marketing possibilities of having the two poster boys of France's World Cup Winning squad to show off. And to top it off, they're one of only a couple of clubs that would be willing to pay their extortionate demands.

I'd be amazed if he goes anywhere else.
Don't forget Newcastle with the bottomless wallet of their overlord. A double swoop for both Pogba and Martial would be a serious statement of intent from them.

Sultan

So the question is, if no one offers him the kind of money he’s looking for in the next few months, do we pull our offer and tell him he’s no longer wanted at the club past the contract, or do we let him stay on until he signs a bumper deal?
That's what the club did with Fellaini. He touted himself to other clubs and when other offers did not match his expectations he then signed a contract that had been offered previously.

The club has been shabbily run over the last decade.

Sultan

Don't forget Newcastle with the bottomless wallet of their overlord. A double swoop for both Pogba and Martial would be a serious statement of intent from them.
They'll need to guarantee their status in the Premiership to sign such players.

crossy1686

career ending
That's what the club did with Fellaini. He touted himself to other clubs and when other offers did not match his expectations he then signed a contract that had been offered previously.

The club has been shabbily run over the last decade.
It’s such a bad look if we let that happen again. Hopefully Ralf has a word and we’ve already got a replacement lined up by the summer

davidmichael

The Athletic claim that our offer to him is £400k a week.
If true which probably is seeing The Athletic are pretty reliable then that’s madness and will see Fernandes want similar which added to Ronaldo and De Gea is a ridiculous wage bill based on those alone, I’d much rather we sell him in January and then go for De Jong as Barca need the money then Rice in the summer.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We should terminate his contract now and let him go on a free in January. There's no chance of him being a high press player so why waste the salary?

Classical Mechanic

If true which probably is seeing The Athletic are pretty reliable then that’s madness and will see Fernandes want similar which added to Ronaldo and De Gea is a ridiculous wage bill based on those alone, I’d much rather we sell him in January and then go for De Jong as Barca need the money then Rice in the summer.
We’re already screwed with the DDG contract which the same article claims a number of the hierarchy deeply regret. The DDG contract puts our highest earners around £400k unfortunately. I suppose we could argue about Covid with to justify a smaller offer.

Ekeke

We should terminate his contract now and let him go on a free in January. There's no chance of him being a high press player so why waste the salary?
Not that I disagree its time to let him go, but Pogba is actually our 2nd highest presses per 90 mins of our regular starters. James and Lingard were/are ahead but thats based on 2 matches, compared to 7 for Pogba and 12 for Fred.

He has quietly done a lot better with his defensive work this season when he has played

Highfather_24

We’re already screwed with the DDG contract which the same article claims a number of the hierarchy deeply regret. The DDG contract puts our highest earners around £400k unfortunately. I suppose we could argue about Covid with to justify a smaller offer.
Isnt Ronaldo on 450k and Sancho on 350k? Our wage structure is fecked as it is.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not that I disagree its time to let him go, but Pogba is actually our 2nd highest presses per 90 mins of our regular starters. James and Lingard were/are ahead but thats based on 2 matches, compared to 7 for Pogba and 12 for Fred.

He has quietly done a lot better with his defensive work this season when he has played
Interesting but do the stats tell the whole story? My recollection is that he is really bad at pressing even if technically does it. The only high press I remember him doing was on Naby Keita's ankle.

Ekeke

Interesting but do the stats tell the whole story? My recollection is that he is really bad at pressing even if technically does it. The only high press I remember him doing was on Naby Keita's ankle.
I think its just something we've been used to thinking about Pogba. He's been a weak point defensively for us, while he did well for France in the same position. He plays for us like he isnt trying very hard.

So when he starts making a few more tackles and is pressing more often, I think its hard for him to shake that reputation without looking at the data and the facts.

Then of course you have Fred next to him doing the most pressing in the team. So I guess whoever is next to him is going to look like they arent putting it about as much.

The main strange one for me is how McTominay gets the reputation for being a hard worker

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
jaysus the hyperbole

finishing top 4 and getting to a European final is hardly catastrophic
paying the wages we do and looking as directionless on and off the pitch is one of the greatest jokes of the sport in recent times. Pogbas hot and cold performances and his agents constant dance with the media just typifies the kind of club that we’ve sadly become. Hopefully not for much longer. Wages/Brand/PR fc needs to die and hopefully Pogba is the first victim of our more efficient new direction

Tarrou

paying the wages we do and looking as directionless on and off the pitch is one of the greatest jokes of the sport in recent times. Pogbas hot and cold performances and his agents constant dance with the media just typifies the kind of club that we’ve sadly become. Hopefully not for much longer. Wages/Brand/PR fc needs to die and hopefully Pogba is the first victim of our more efficient new direction
Arsenal fans are tossing each other off because they've squeezed into fourth spot

Barca had to let their greatest ever player leave on a free

Big clubs have shit periods all the time, so comparing ours to one to the darkest periods of this club's history is the real joke

Last edited:

Marwood

Are you sure about those figures?

If they are true 7 presses per game is really poor. Any less and you're barely moving. That can't be classed as being a lot better.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Arsenal fans are tossing each other off because they've squeezed into fourth spot

Barca had to let their greatest ever player leave on a free

Big clubs have shit periods all the time, so comparing ours to one to the darkest periods of this club is the real joke
The only way this club was going with the Pogba approach is down. Yes it’s a joke with the highest wage bill in the country struggling to make top 4 and celebrating a EL final or two when our bench was worth twice as much as whole squads we were coming up against. Embarrassing. Anyone using our highs as a way to defend Pogba or the club is just deflecting. It’s terrible management whatever way you look at it and our biggest earners need to be criticised and have their futures reevaluated.

Tarrou

The only way this club was going with the Pogba approach is down. Yes it’s a joke with the highest wage bill in the country struggling to make top 4 and celebrating a EL final or two when our bench was worth twice as much as whole squads we were coming up against. Embarrassing. Anyone using our highs as a way to defend Pogba or the club is just deflecting. It’s terrible management whatever way you look at it and our biggest earners need to be criticised and have their futures reevaluated.
I don't disagree with your sentiments on how badly the club has been managed

but that wasn't my point

I just said it isn't one of the darkest periods in our history

davidmichael

Kessie, Kamara and Rudiger all on a free would be amazing and we’ve been linked a lot with all three players. Kessie and Kamara coming in for Matic and Pogba then going all out for any of Rice, Bellingham or De Jong would fix our midfield and Rudiger would allow us to move Bailly and Jones on too but that all makes too much sense for our board.

roseguy64

Kessie, Kamara and Rudiger all on a free would be amazing and we’ve been linked a lot with all three players. Kessie and Kamara coming in for Matic and Pogba then going all out for any of Rice, Bellingham or De Jong would fix our midfield and Rudiger would allow us to move Bailly and Jones on too but that all makes too much sense for our board.
Rudiger is way too expensive to bring in in terms of wages. Maguire, Varane and Lindelof - He's not better than those 3.

Eriku

Come on, mate. Granted, they haven't actually lit up Old Trafford with glory but it wasn't that grim. A number of semi-finals, a final, a second-place finish and qualifying for Europe over consecutive seasons. We also had a number of notable results during their years together.

Yes, it's time to part ways and start a new chapter for the club. However, even that does not guarantee future success.
Imagine if that poster happened to read about Munich, or our jaunt down to the 2nd division.

Darkest days :lol: