Pogba on the differences between Ole & Mourinho

Dve

I regret taking Jose’s side during his Pogba row. I believe it’s been said by a few here but Jose’s character assassination of Pogba was complete when he had everyone believing that a world class midfielder was the problem. I think a lot of us should be pivoting 180 on whether we should offer Pogba a big contract or not. It’s a no brainer, get it done and pay the man.
I think the attitude towards Pogba has changed quite a bit among the fans. For a while, there was this notion that he was a toxic figure in the dressing room, someone undermining the manager and causing uproar. Very unfair seen in light of how much his teammates rate him as a person, and Ole has greatly contributed to changing the image of him as well. Pogba for sure has less reasons to feel unappreciated by fans now than under Mourinho, which also gives him one reason less to wanna leave.

OrcaFat

Yeah, I can't disagree with the wage problem, it's not logical to pay so much money to a player that is a squad option, even if he is the all-time goalscorer of our club. I just feel kind of sad how the club handled his departure but maybe Rooney was a bit at fault as well for not realising his own issues.
It was sad.

Rooney wanted to be Scholes. He could have become a similar player but none of his managers wanted him to make the switch. By the time he was shot as a striker, it was too late to change and, again, no-one at the club had any interest in Rooney the CM.

Legend. But could have been managed better.

clarkydaz

It was sad.

Rooney wanted to be Scholes. He could have become a similar player but none of his managers wanted him to make the switch. By the time he was shot as a striker, it was too late to change and, again, no-one at the club had any interest in Rooney the CM.

Legend. But could have been managed better.
he suddenly announced himself as a midfielder for United and England when his place was taken by Rashford and Kane. Rooney was dreadful for a long time and nobody would say boo to him. The media went along with it until they saw how shite he actually was for England, his idea of being Scholes was floaty balls to Valencia

ChaddyP

Sensationalist headlines happens in every country, in my opinion. I agree that it's silly, but I'm not sure it's any more true with Brits than it is with others.
Ive never seen this kind of over exaggerating before and I'm not talking headlines. Im talking about just response from people. Its here in the thread. Ive only ever experienced that kind of reaction to the most mundane of things since ive been on this forum.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I do wish for his career sake he waited till he was retired to be honest. It's generally a good rule not to burn bridges (sometimes even in retirement), as I think it was Ruud that said to Rio in his interview that you ultimately cross paths with these guys in one way or another, and you don't want any lingering resentment.

I really hope he never plays some place where they get conned by Mourinho's trophy cabinet and bring him in. That would be awkward on many levels.

Also, this gives José a fight to latch on to in order to distract from the terrible job he's doing at Spurs
I don't. Mourinho has called him a virus, thrown Luke Shaw under the bus (and has clearly been proven wrong about him as Pogba pointed out), and is constantly pushing his players down while rehashing past glories whenever he comes under criticism. The bridge may be burned, but Mourinho's the one holding the torch.

I don't think there is any risk of Pogba and Mourinho ever working together again. Pogba will keep attracting elite clubs if he stays healthy and performs, but Mourinho's time at the big clubs is at an end now, I don't even see him con another top club in the future short of a complete transformation of his management style and, most importantly, results. When would we have ever thought, even just 5 years ago, that Mourinho would manage Tottenham? No offense to them, but it's a pretty big indication of where he stands as a manager right now.

As far as this being another ammunition for the press, I mean after the Son-father comedy bit he tried to pass off as a serious offense, I believe the man could latch on to anything regardless of whether Pogba is involved or not.

Ive never seen this kind of over exaggerating before and I'm not talking headlines. Im talking about just response from people. Its here in the thread. Ive only ever experienced that kind of reaction to the most mundane of things since ive been on this forum.
This is the most popular team in the world, so you do see that in other places IMO, but it's far more magnified here.

Last edited:

Bosws87

A nothing interview, man says what everyone already knows about Jose.

Some of you have a real agenda :lol:

RUCK4444

Reaction to Pogba here and everywhere including the media has always been a disgrace imho.

OrcaFat

he suddenly announced himself as a midfielder for United and England when his place was taken by Rashford and Kane. Rooney was dreadful for a long time and nobody would say boo to him. The media went along with it until they saw how shite he actually was for England, his idea of being Scholes was floaty balls to Valencia
True.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wow, that kind of comment shouldn't be allowed.

TsuWave

Mourinho probably in his war room prepping like Batman for his next pre/post match interview. Got all his transmutation cycles, sulphur, chalk, holy water and mana in his utility belt.

can't wait

Withnail

How do you know that those who you think are over-reacting are British?

Marwood

This is just not true
Until it got toxic at the end I always felt Pogba had sufficient support to do his stuff. Mourinho gave him plenty of public praise, calling him the worlds best midfielder, saying he was the best on the pitch even when he was amongst the worse. Picked him when he was badly out of form. That type of stuff.

You can pick a player and still be an absolute prick. Mourinho never took responsibilities during losses and would do the usual combination of throwing his players under the bus + repeat his resume and past glories so everybody understood the problem had, apparently, nothing to do with him.
Totally agree. Really dislike Mourinho. I just think on Pogba, he gave him every chance to show his best before it all got nasty towards the end.

But then I've no problem with Pogba saying what he has. We all know it anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It was all over AS directly from him. He gave several interviews. Mourinho had already suspected that Casillas was planting and leaking stories to the press prior to the 2014 Diego Torres book because Casillas' journalist girlfriend had team details that she was disclosing.

At no point was Mourinho (or Madrid based media) in doubt as to whether Casillas was talking. It was an open secret. Casillas would see it justified because he was against what he felt was Mourinho betraying the club and it's values, while Mourinho inmediatamente benched Casillas around the same time the leaks were public, citing a "drop in form" when there clearly wasn't any.

The players going against him was...public. Ronaldo gave an interview after the first leg and before the second leg blaming Mourinho for the loss. Mourinho responded later that Ronaldo "thinks he knows everything".

Lassana Diara, Sergio Ramos, and Iker Casillas have discussed those arguments publically. None of the other players (mentioned in the stories by these 3), have ever denied anything that these 3 said.
Never really looked into it - in detail, I just considered it another "Mourinho is a cnut" story that just seemed too outrageous to be true.

But fair enough - I will take a look.

If that actually happened, though - it's well beyond anything you'd expect even from a manager who has an extreme "ego". It belongs to a different category altogether - not least when you consider the context.

OleGunnar20

I think it's worth reflecting on how he came into top football. He was Bobby Robsons interpreter at Porto, and apparently they hit it off and Robson valued Mourinho's input, and subsequently got him his first job as a coach. Just imagine that situation. You're an intelligent and fiercely ambitious outsider, and this world famous coach seeks your opinions and respects you. And one of the chief things you've got going for you is that you're not shaped by the dressing room community or by having been a top player for a decade, you're independent and see things from the outside. Things are visible to you that others miss, you can look at things differently, and doing so brings you incredible advancement. As you rise through the coaching ranks, you keep grappling with the problems that confronts every coach and every team, and you find innovative solutions to them, because the way your mind works is that you never ever go to other people for that, you do it yourself. And the results are amazing. You're famous, applauded.

And then you've been through it all, you stop looking for answers, and codify those you already have into seven principles. And you stop adapting. And you never forget that the reason you got there was that you always figured things out for yourself, followed your own head. No one handed anything to you. No one gave you the experience. You took nothing as you found it. You don't ask people, you tell them. And your job is to figure what's the right thing to do, and then tell people to do it. Only by now, you're no longer an inedependent-minded innovator, but a reclusive, ego-driven defender of your own orthodoxy in the form of those seven miserable principles.
Terrific post.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Totally agree. Really dislike Mourinho. I just think on Pogba, he gave him every chance to show his best before it all got nasty towards the end.
Well, he did, but that's basically what any manager would do. You have Pogba, you see what he can do whether it's in training or in the past, and you just hope to figure it out. In the end of Mourinho's reign, Pogba was validating the trust put in him but I'm not putting selecting Pogba through thick and thin as some kind of positive management from Mourinho, I just think he had no choice. He's talked him up but he's also brought him down, even if his praise was more public and his teardowns were behind-the-scenes but reported by the press, intentionally I would add with my tinfoil hat securely placed on my head.
Terrific post.
Glad you quoted it, because I missed it but it's incredibly well-written. Great post, @justsomebloke

Foxbatt

It also helps the anti Pogba stories when his agent is also the biggest cnut around.

OrcaFat

Although these are things we already knew, there’s a distilled quality to Pogba’s nonchalant summation - that it was a known issue at the club, an elephant in the room.

Probably the hierarchy appraised Mourinho’s methods quite a few months before he was sacked and decided they didn’t like it. Makes you wonder if bringing Ole in was actually pre-meditated and the caretaker arrangement was always a trial with the intention of permanent appointment.

Ladron de redcafe

Never really looked into it - in detail, I just considered it another "Mourinho is a cnut" story that just seemed too outrageous to be true.

But fair enough - I will take a look.

If that actually happened, though - it's well beyond anything you'd expect even from a manager who has an extreme "ego". It belongs to a different category altogether - not least when you consider the context.
I understand where you're coming from because football stories tend to be embellished and maybe initial skepticism is warranted to an extent sometimes.

If you're interested, there are several interviews done with Diario AS and El país. They're in Spanish but if there's a Spanish speaking friend that you know (or if you happen to speak a little Spanish by any chance), there are some interesting comments from that Madrid squad.

I agree with your last point. Someone here talked about narcissism perhaps being prevalent in Mourinho, and when you read about some of the things that transpired in his coaching career, it goes beyond regular ego, as you said, and closer to narcasicm.

ReddBalls

Although these are things we already knew, there’s a distilled quality to Pogba’s nonchalant summation - that it was a known issue at the club, an elephant in the room.

Probably the hierarchy appraised Mourinho’s methods quite a few months before he was sacked and decided they didn’t like it. Makes you wonder if bringing Ole in was actually pre-meditated and the caretaker arrangement was always a trial with the intention of permanent appointment.
Yeah. Even SAF har spoken as Ole in the past as "the one" of the players he managed himself. The timing after José was perfect for giving him the shot. It always had to be a trial, though. Imagine the meltdown on here if he got the job without "proving himself".

I think Ole always worked towards getting the United job. He rebuilt Molde (with success) in the image of United. The one thing that puzzles me is the Cardiff stint. He is a smart guy, so he should have known it was an impossible job.

OrcaFat

Yeah. Even SAF har spoken as Ole in the past as "the one" of the players he managed himself. The timing after José was perfect for giving him the shot. It always had to be a trial, though. Imagine the meltdown on here if he got the job without "proving himself".

I think Ole always worked towards getting the United job. He rebuilt Molde (with success) in the image of United. The one thing that puzzles me is the Cardiff stint. He is a smart guy, so he should have known it was an impossible job.
Yeah, it seemed like when Mou was sacked that the club just realised he had to go and had no clue who was coming in but, of course, the suits are more savvy than that; probably they were cooking the whole thing.

Re Cardiff - you’re right. The blot was not the job he did there but the decision to take the job at all. Probably he thought just keeping Cardiff up would be enough to get him in the picture for better jobs; major backfire. I suppose he learnt a few things from the experience though.

ReddBalls

Yeah, it seemed like when Mou was sacked that the club just realised he had to go and had no clue who was coming in but, of course, the suits are more savvy than that; probably they were cooking the whole thing.

Re Cardiff - you’re right. The blot was not the job he did there but the decision to take the job at all. Probably he thought just keeping Cardiff up would be enough to get him in the picture for better jobs; major backfire. I suppose he learnt a few things from the experience though.
I might be overrating him, but I do have the feeling he took it to experience the hardest working conditions in the PL. It's not like he didn't know how much pressure that comes with the job at United, and I actually think it's hard to replicate that at other clubs. Maybe Arsenal after Wenger, but he would never be a candidate there. I think I'm struggling to understand why he would rather work at Cardiff rather than Villa, which he declined.

GueRed

I really dont get this obsession with Mourinho. Especially with our fanbase...

He has left the club almost 2 and half years ago!

You are who you attract I suppose.

Toxicity attracts toxic creatures in this case :lol:

Rolaholic

I really dont get this obsession with Mourinho. Especially with our fanbase...

He has left the club almost 2 and half years ago!

You are who you attract I suppose.

Toxicity attracts toxic creatures in this case :lol:
Obsession? We just played his side last week and this thread is about one of our players answering questions regarding said manager.

Don't see any more of an 'obsession' with him than we see with LvG and Moyes, former managers who get brought up when we speak of the past, nothing more.

Plus Ole's not the one who takes potshots out of the blue at Spurs players at random :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Mourinho response - “I couldn’t care less.”

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Not much reaction. disappointed

He isn’t even a wounded animal, he looks strangely beaten

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He says he couldn’t care less...but he’ll come out with something more soon I’m sure.
Guaranteed to say something in the post match press conference. Plus the fact he said it twice rather angrily tells me he does in fact care...having said that the press really are hyping comments which when you watch the interview were incredibly mild!

Dinghy

He clearly took it to heart, now he's trying to copy Ole's style.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is pretty much what everyone thinks, not sure it helps any making those comments now.

I just hope that 2nd half against Spurs wasn't merely due to playing Mourinho. Hopefully they can be as motivated regardless of opposition.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I have no respect to Mourinho, when on his last season, trying hard to get sacked and compensated. Never seen Pogba as troublemaker. It seems all players that he's been playing with, like him. (Maybe except Lukaku). Which is not possible if you're an ass.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mourinho wanted instant success, Ole is more patient and he will test patience of lot of supporters.