Pogba on the differences between Ole & Mourinho

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wazza is my favourite player ever so I am a bit biased. :lol: I just wish we could have kept him on a bit more, personally would have loved it if he retired with us but obviously he wanted to still try and play regular football, so it was always a difficult situation.
He was on the same salary at Everton so that should demonstrate that we weren’t getting value for money anymore. It was funny playing Derby in the cup though. I remember the narrative was this is lingards chance to win back a spot and Rooney played all over him. He was so class in his pomp. He sacrificed his own game and adapted so many times for the team. Stonewall Utd legend.

Dante

Average bang
It sounds like Mourninho learned his management style from The Game by Neil Strauss. His preferred method of dealing with resistance is to neg his players. Ole's more of a sensitive metrosexual.

Giggsy13

I regret taking Jose’s side during his Pogba row. I believe it’s been said by a few here but Jose’s character assassination of Pogba was complete when he had everyone believing that a world class midfielder was the problem. I think a lot of us should be pivoting 180 on whether we should offer Pogba a big contract or not. It’s a no brainer, get it done and pay the man.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I remember reading that Bill Shankly was the same but then that was a long time ago. Probably shouldn't manage in the style of someone from 60-odd years ago.
Then Liverpool got rid of him and put a much more player centred manager in charge...Paisley. The rest is history. Even 50 years ago the philosophy was the same; get the players on side. Sir Matt knew it too

Giggsy13

Taking a bit from Ole today, glad there’s some progress where this thread hasn’t turned into an Ole out vs Ole in debate...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Taking a bit from Ole today, glad there’s some progress where this thread hasn’t turned into an Ole out vs Ole in debate...
While we’re winning it’ll be quiet but it’ll change as soon as we drop points or lose.
Leeds and Liverpool coming up, this place will implode

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agree on the bolded however I do think Ole is tactically better than many give him credit for.

You can bring experienced tactical coaches in.
You can’t teach somebody man management, it’s pretty much a trait you have or you don’t.

It tends to come from being a decent person first and foremost, you rarely get a persons respect without that, then knowing what you want and what each player needs (an arm around them, a kick up the backside etc) to get you there.
You are underestimating Ole as a tactical manager. His general record against top managers is good. That doesn't come from "good feels" but by understanding and exploiting tactical weaknesses in the opposition. Our problem comes mostly against very defensive teams where player quality in the final 3ed is the deciding factor along with some experience.
He's not an oaf if that's what you think I am suggesting. Whether he's at United's level its open to debate. That's an extremely high level that few managers are able to reach. I also don't think its an argument that we need to debate. Even Sir Alex surrounded himself with good tactical people from the outside who could bring new ideas in. We can all agree that Ole (or any manager really whose not Pep) is nowhere near to Sir Alex

Football has changed in the past 30 years. In the past most players only wanted trophies and ££££. There were very few clubs that could fork out the top salaries. Thus players were forced to work with the likes of Sacchi knowing that if lets say prime Rijkaard wanted to work with a decent man like Sir Alex then he'll have to cut his salary by 2/3. FFS back in the day we couldn't even afford to match Batistuta's salary at FIORENTINA let alone pay Van Basten's salary.

These days there are 9 clubs (Real, Barcelona, Bayern, United, Chelsea, PSG, Shitty, Juventus and Liverpool) who can provide both. Players don't need the drama surrounding managers who think that they some sort of football version of Alexander the Great and Napoleon Bonaparte.

DoomSlayer

He was on the same salary at Everton so that should demonstrate that we weren’t getting value for money anymore. It was funny playing Derby in the cup though. I remember the narrative was this is lingards chance to win back a spot and Rooney played all over him. He was so class in his pomp. He sacrificed his own game and adapted so many times for the team. Stonewall Utd legend.
Yeah, I can't disagree with the wage problem, it's not logical to pay so much money to a player that is a squad option, even if he is the all-time goalscorer of our club. I just feel kind of sad how the club handled his departure but maybe Rooney was a bit at fault as well for not realising his own issues.

RashyForPM

:lol: :lol:. Where is logic in that? If they win, great. If they lose, he still can blame the ref. Even if they win, he still can say "we won despite the ref". Ridiculous story. People in their love/hate sometimes throw out any logic away
Ask Diego Torres.

always_hoping

Pogba calling it like it is/was. Everyone surely knows what Mourinho is about at this stage?

Idxomer

In fairness it kind of was true. I remember Pogba getting absolutely dominated by Kante in a match (i think in an FA cup match) in his first season back at United and Jose said after the game that Pogba was the best player on the pitch, how brilliant he was etc when it really wasn't true. Kante dominated him. I felt Jose kept trying with Pogba and was trying to turn him into a different player but eventually lost patience.

btw I don't like Jose's style with man management at all and it looks as though his treatment of Dele and Bale at Spurs is similarly bad. I do think he tried with Pogba though.
Was that the game where Herrera got sent off in the 1st half? Of course, Kante was going to dominate the midfield that game.

Mourinho started his 1st season playing Fellaini and Pogba in a midfield 2 and his 2nd by putting him alongside Matic in the same formation. No wonder we conceded an obscene amount of shots that season and De Gea had a freak season in goal.

Pogba was playing on the left of a midfield 3 in Juve, you can count the games he had there under Mourinho on one hand.

passing-wind

The quotes in plain text seem outspoken but considering the tone and voice of the interview it's actually quite casual. Mourinho said he learnt the lessons necessary from his United experience and most likely has but the biggest is that tactically he's getting worse the more time proceeds.

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Whether he has outspoken or not, Jose threw multiple players to the wolves whilst managing here, not to mention he loved a good fit whilst he was a pundit. (Whole rolls Royce story) It's about time someone gave this dinosaur a lashing back. For too long has he gotten away with sly remarks and jibes towards people.

Go on Paul!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I really dislike Mourinho but that's not quite fair.

He picked Pogba even when Pogba was badly out of form. During that period he tried him in various positions, talked him up when he was clearly terrible. He gave Pogba every chance on the pitch.

But Mourinho ignoring players who aren't selected or injured is true. He's pretty much said it himself, that's his approach. Who knows why he does it, there never seems to be an upside to it.
You can pick a player and still be an absolute prick. Mourinho never took responsibilities during losses and would do the usual combination of throwing his players under the bus + repeat his resume and past glories so everybody understood the problem had, apparently, nothing to do with him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mourinho said he learnt the lessons necessary from his United experience...
He said that?

I wonder what those lessons were.

Never seek to actively undermine your own team and/or players?

Never just keep on doing what you're doing when it's feckin' obvious it ain't working?

Never do a Partridge?

GlasgowCeltic

Always thought there was an element of stereotyping from Jose in the player he thought Pogba was and the player he is. He probably was hoping for a 6'3 physical stopper in midfield rather than a showman.

Mindhunter

With the recent resurgence in performances of Pogba, him being named captain in the last match (ahead of Bruno as well if I may add) and now this interview, where he praises Ole ( if only in context of contrast with Mourinho), I wouldn't be surprised if some things are happening behind the scene, and Pogba may sign a contract extending his stay here.
He will sign an extension if no one offers him more money than us. Else, he will leave.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He probably was hoping for a 6'3 physical stopper in midfield rather than a showman.
That's extremely poor research, then - if that is what he thought.

I don't buy that, to be honest. Jose isn't stupid. He's many things - but plain stupid/ignorant is not one of them.

ETA Then again - I never understood the Pogba move from Jose's perspective.

From United's perspective (as such) - sure, the whole prodigal son angle makes perfect sense (great story). But he never struck me as a Jose type of player.

But there's no reason to think Jose was against the transfer * - and he was even after him (apparently) when he - Jose - was at Chelsea.

Anyway - whatever the reason was, I doubt very much that he simply misunderstood what sort of player Pogba actually was. Probably thought he could shape him into something else.

Who knows. But Jose can't have been unaware of Pogba's attributes and/or the role(s) he played for Juventus prior to the transfer.

* Supported by what Pogba says in the interview: they got on swimmingly at first.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It sounds like Mourninho learned his management style from The Game by Neil Strauss. His preferred method of dealing with resistance is to neg his players. Ole's more of a sensitive metrosexual.
Not in terms of hairstyle tolerance.

Infra-red

I believe that, based on interviews with former players, Guardiola has a similar man management style (ie when you are 'in' the light shines on you and everything is amazing, when you are 'out' you may as well not exist as far as the manager is concerned).

Not particularly nice and some players (eg Shaw) won't respond well it - you'll certainly make some enemies along the way (equally, you'll probably have some players who wouldn't respond as well to the Mr Nice Guy approach - see Ancelotti's problems at Bayern).

Maticmaker

To be honest has Paul said anything in that interview that everybody didn't know already?

He was spot on with Jose trying to turn the tables and not wanting to talk about his defeat, but we all know this don't we?
Ole may drop players, but usually with an arm around their shoulder, whereas with Mourinho you get the feeling he (might) use a text message to deliver the news.
We all know when you are 'in with Jose' you are in, when you are 'out with Jose', you don't exist... nothing new here!

Ladron de redcafe

Q
Whether he has outspoken or not, Jose threw multiple players to the wolves whilst managing here, not to mention he loved a good fit whilst he was a pundit. (Whole rolls Royce story) It's about time someone gave this dinosaur a lashing back. For too long has he gotten away with sly remarks and jibes towards people.

Go on Paul!
Love it! Pogba putting Mourinho in a bodybag. Fireworks about to start

Ladron de redcafe

:lol: :lol:. Where is logic in that? If they win, great. If they lose, he still can blame the ref. Even if they win, he still can say "we won despite the ref". Ridiculous story. People in their love/hate sometimes throw out any logic away
Yes, I'm sure you know more than a journalist who had access to the team during that campaign.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not uncommon for managers to treat fringe players (who have become such for whatever reason) rather shabbily.

Back in the day, Big Ron was known for this - he had a core croup he considered "his" lads, and didn't care too much about those who weren't part of this group.

Short-term, this approach may work - as it can strengthen the unity within the core group which the manager considers essential.

Long-term, it's obviously a shite strategy. It's pretty much designed to cause division - which is, in itself, a very bad idea.

Fergie - by contrast - preferred to get rid of players he didn't fancy for one reason or another. He didn't exclude or ignore them - as that would be...just silly from a long-term perspective (which is the perspective he always operated with).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, I'm sure you know more than a journalist who had access to the team during that campaign.
Come on.

Not a single player has confirmed that story. Some of those players have no love whatsoever for Mourinho.

It's a myth until some actual evidence is presented.

Ladron de redcafe

This isn’t even that bad in relation to Mourinho. There’s a story that he told the Madrid players to throw the second leg against Barcelona in the CL semi final in 2011 so he could blame the ref for them losing the first leg. Apparently that was what really made Casillas not be able to stand him anymore.
To clarify, the story Casillas AND Lassana Diara tell is that Mourinho's instructions were to shut up shop immediately and go for a 0-0 which would have seen them lose the tie given that they lost the first leg 2-0. It's the same story Diego Torres details.

Casillas And Sergio Ramos (captain and vice captain respectively) told Mourinho that going for 0-0 is a "disgrace" for a club like Madrid, and that Mourinho must not understand what the club stands for. Ozil, Higuain, Benzema, Alonso, Ronaldo, Arbeloa, Marcelo, and Kaka all stood with Casillas and Ramos.

It's unclear which (if any) players agreed with Mourinho, because his plan was pure idiocy. Rather than take a chance and attempt to win a tie, accepting a narrow loss and "saving face" with an excuse, is just stupid, but sadly in line with what we have seen from him as a manager.

Ladron de redcafe

Whenever his team loses, it’s always his players or the ref. For the first one and a half seasons, it’s the ref, and after that, it’s the players. I was very surprised when I read about it in a book, but I also wouldn’t be surprised. Apparently, the only reason that game ended 1-1 was because if you remember correctly, Mourinho had a touch line ban for criticising the ref from the first leg thus didn’t travel to the stadium, so Casillas told the players to forget everything he said on the coach to the Camp Nou.
Yes. Casillas spoke up with Ramos who was vice captain and directly undermined Mourinho in front of the squad because he didn't feel that Mourinho had the club's interest in heart. They all followed what Casillas said and chose to go for it, ignoring Mourinho in the process.

Mourinho would later call some of the players 'rats', and talk about how they repeatedly "betrayed" him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's Casillas' story, pal:lol: It's literally from Iker Casillas.
I've always thought it was just BS - including the part about particular players going against him.

But if you can provide me with a link to a credible account of what happened, I will gladly concede that I've been wrong.

To be clear - I have always thought that the Casillas part of it was just...well, part of the BS story.

RedDevil@84

That is why his agent was mouthing off about taking him away, when Ole put Pogba out of the team. How understanding of him.

One has to be absolutely gullible, to make any kind of arguments based on what Pogba says. His words and words from his entourage change faster than a chameleon.

OrcaFat

He might as well be honest. I would think if they ever end up at the same club again he will not think twice about telling Mou to get fecked.

Pogba’s attitude is his strength and his weakness. He thinks he is bigger than Jesus, which gives him the self confidence that enables some of his play; when he swaggers he can inspire the whole team. But when the team is in a spot or when his own form is below what it should be, the ego can be a problem (if you believe the crap that keeps coming out about him wanting to leave).

I’ve made my peace with it. As long as he wants to stay, let’s keep him (I really hope so); but if he wants to go, au revoir.

Great player.

Ladron de redcafe

I've always thought it was just BS - including the part about particular players going against him.

But if you can provide me with a link to a credible account of what happened, I will gladly concede that I've been wrong.

To be clear - I have always thought that the Casillas part of it was just...well, part of the BS story.
It was all over AS directly from him. He gave several interviews. Mourinho had already suspected that Casillas was planting and leaking stories to the press prior to the 2014 Diego Torres book because Casillas' journalist girlfriend had team details that she was disclosing.

At no point was Mourinho (or Madrid based media) in doubt as to whether Casillas was talking. It was an open secret. Casillas would see it justified because he was against what he felt was Mourinho betraying the club and it's values, while Mourinho inmediatamente benched Casillas around the same time the leaks were public, citing a "drop in form" when there clearly wasn't any.

The players going against him was...public. Ronaldo gave an interview after the first leg and before the second leg blaming Mourinho for the loss. Mourinho responded later that Ronaldo "thinks he knows everything".

Lassana Diara, Sergio Ramos, and Iker Casillas have discussed those arguments publically. None of the other players (mentioned in the stories by these 3), have ever denied anything that these 3 said.

Dve

"Once I had a great relationship with Mourinho, everybody saw that, and the next day you don't know what happened. That's the strange thing I had with Mourinho and I cannot explain to you because even I don't know. So, yeah."

Mourinho might actually be bipolar.
Rather a narcissist.

Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.

ChaddyP

People acting as if he went on an aggressive rant. It was timid, yet effective.

‘ooo Ole won’t like this’

Give me a break.
I notice this with British people on a whole

Pogba slams Jose, jose goes into meltdown, ole goes on a rant. All over the most timid of f things.

All pogba said was Jose ghost you when he doesn't want to play you while ole a least tells you good morning while he let's you rot on the bench. Cut to half the place talking about pogba with "explosive" interview as of pogba did a tell all exclusive witg Oprah

Ladron de redcafe

I notice this with British people on a whole

Pogba slams Jose, jose goes into meltdown, ole goes on a rant. All over the most timid of f things.

All pogba said was Jose ghost you when he doesn't want to play you while ole a least tells you good morning while he let's you rot on the bench. Cut to half the place talking about pogba with "explosive" interview as of pogba did a tell all exclusive witg Oprah
Sensationalist headlines happens in every country, in my opinion. I agree that it's silly, but I'm not sure it's any more true with Brits than it is with others.

OrcaFat

In what way does she seem absolutely desperate for him to rave about Ole? :confused:
I agree she wasn’t desperate at all. It was an open question and I think he answered it humbly and discreetly. He’d already spoken positively about Ole’s man management.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Do you even think about things which you read? Or you just turn off your brain and believe in everything?
Amazing that there is anybody who would believe in that. Manager of Real Madrid comes in dressing room and says to his 20 players; "lets lose semi final of Champions league".

And as i said; where is logic in that? You want to say that Jose (who counts even charity shield as a trophy) would sacrifice champions league trophy just to have a chance to moan about refs? It was win-win situation. If he loses, he has moaning. If he wins, he is in CL final AND still he can moan about refs. In matter of fact he can gloat; "Look how awesome i am. I beat Barca and refs".
Get a grip man