Pogba on the right of a front 3

Hammondo

Is double pivot CM? It feels more CDM for me. Second half the double pivot was non existent and Mctomminay was doing all the defensive work by himself.
Some people claiming double pivot doesn't make it so. Pogba tries to get forward whenever he can, but he doesn't do a good enough job to do it enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some people claiming double pivot doesn't make it so. Pogba tries to get forward whenever he can, but he doesn't do a good enough job to do it enough.
I dont think he can handle the duties of staying so deep on CDM position, handle defensive ability and manage to attack freely as he wants. That's why in my eyes he is known as a luxury player. When I look at him for France in a double pivot he isnt exactly going forward like he did for Juventus and is playing/dictating play from deep and laying more around a certain deeper area.

When he came from Juventus he wasnt playing like he did now for the national team nor United. He was in front of midfielders like pirlo, Vidal behind him or next to him allowing him to play more freely.

tomaldinho1

Let's stop trying to fit him into a team. We've been doing that since he came and there are literally hundreds of articles written about how to get the best out of him.

United need to decide on a style of play and then find players for that style. Pogba is a talented footballer, if he really really wanted it I am certain he could force his way back into our line up in pretty much any CM role but I don't think he has the mentality or maybe isn't bothered. If he could be half as good positionally as Matic he could probably run our whole team alone as a DM with his technical skills, physicality and passing range but he lacks the discipline and decision making.

eire-red

If he can't be bothered to defend or track runners in midfield, what makes us think he'll do it playing RW?

Imagine playing him on the right against the likes of Digne, Robertso, Regulion?

Pogba plays like he's allowed some sort of 'free pass' to not work as hard as everyone else because he's so talented/misused/deserves better etc. etc, or some sort of combination.

I don't see that changing regardless of what position he plays.

poleglass red

He's a good player and can be great to watch, just not at Manchester United.
yup, he's a good player in great teams, which we aren't yet. His best football came with a Juve team that dominated Italian football and a French team that has dominated at international level.

RayK47

I think attack as his priority and defence as secondary is something he and us as a team will benefit from.
The right of a front 3 is the only position available for him to do that, find the pockets of space and getting on the ball further up the pitch. The left is Rashford’s generally and the 10 position is Bruno’s.
We can’t rely on him to defend in crucial midfield positions but he is capable of putting in a martial level shift of defending from the right.
The main thing is in the central midfield role he tries to attack from deep and looses the ball in dangerous positions, further up it will be less dangerous and more beneficial when it comes off.
He was never meant to be a Paul Scholes replacement, he is not disciplined enough or reliable enough for that role, he is an attacking player. Listen to Darren Fletcher.

HowYouDoin

I do think he is either a super sub or a false 9 but Ole is neither brave enough or creative enough for that.

I would try this line up.

AWB Baily Maguire Telles
Fred McTominay Bruno
Pogba
Rashford Martial.

Dve

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elq_RxDO0oc&t=7s&ab_channel=SkySportsFootball

Listen to Fletcher in the first 2-3 mins, not much seems to have changed since then.

"We played him a lot more higher up the pitch and in advanced areas and attacking areas, whether that be central, right or left or wide, and we felt he was the one who would go and win us games really. Combination with the fact that we felt he has a little bit of ill discipline in the middle of the park as a more of a normal central midfielder".

"We didn't feel he was disciplined enough for the reserve team to be playing in there [central midfield] so to then jump to be playing in the first team in an important game, people could see why, so i think he sees himself as a central midfielder but we see him more as an attacking midfielder who could get in areas and be a match winner".
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I think Pogba´s best period at United was the first month(s) after Ole took over, when he played as the most attacking midfielder in 4-3-3. Pogba is dangerous around the box, and he also scored a couple of goals from headers, running into the box. I miss that part of his game. As a DM, his potential genial passes behind backlines do not compensate for his dangerous ball losses. In 4-2-3-1, I think his best position would be nr. 10 - which is practice = the bench.

Last edited:

Red00012

I mentioned this over the weekend I’d play him left to be honest

united for life

Rashford------Martial------Pogba
---------------------Bruno------------------

He's an attacking player, the number 10 role is Bruno's.
We play that formation, can't rely on him to do the responsible defensive role needed in midfield.
Play him there, let him get on the ball in the pockets of spaces, how Mata does, further up the pitch and attack, he'll enjoy that. Some defensive duty needed on the right but much less than that midfield role.
he’s not performing well in his preferred role. You want him to play out of position?

also, funny how you say “how mata does”. By the way, mata is still a united player. Instead of asking someone to play like mata....play mata!

RayK47

he’s not performing well in his preferred role. You want him to play out of position?

also, funny how you say “how mata does”. By the way, mata is still a united player. Instead of asking someone to play like mata....play mata!
Ye play Mata, he did very well on Saturday, but also consider playing Pogba there too sometimes.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Sure thing mate, play him wherever. But I'm done watching Rashford on the left to be honest, needs to get back to playing up front and banging em in.

RayK47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBFvP94xTg&ab_channel=BTSport

"I watched him a lot at Juventus, because Juventus are a really good team.....and the footballer, the man who controlled the game was Pirlo. He's been asked to do that at Man United and it's not what he does best, he is effecting the game further forward for me, he needs to be more involved. He's not a player who all of a sudden makes a team tick or makes a team play like a Modric or Toni Kroos, he's been asked to do that job and that's not his best role".

"He's not a Pirlo, Modric or Toni Kroos, he's more of a person who will win games for you".

"I don't think he's good at controlling games of football, I just don't think it's his strength. He needs to be one at the end of it, creating chances, scoring goals".

"When he's in that deep role, he's OK at it, he probably does the best things in every game of football he plays in, but he outweighs it with the bad things he does. By giving the ball away, taking too many touches, trying to do stupid things in the middle of the pitch, what is not his game".

Everyone knows those problems he has deeper. Can have him coming off the bench for now, or play him further up, only position available is the right at the moment, possibly the left.
Allow him to get in the pockets of space and attack.

Last edited:

Stretender

Sums up Pogba's career at United.

4 years on people still debating his best position. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Time to end the experience.

Dve

The problem with Pogba is not the position he plays, people need to understand this.

The issue is Pogba's style of play, he can play right, left, CM, CAM, ST, RB, LB his workrate and game awareness will still be an issue.

He can play Right but never mark the LB, will still cause us issues. Him not wanting to let go the ball will still slow play down.
It makes a little difference where you play him. One of the things Ole want him to do as a DM, is to serve that long ball behind backlines. He cannot do that with one touch, so he always seeks to gain full control of the ball - often in very dangerous positions. The aggressive pressure most teams use against United (until they run out of steam) kills Pogba´s game.

RayK47

We have Van de Beek now to play in Pogba's position in midfield, next to Mctominay or Matic. Play Pogba further up, only option is the right or possibly left.

Last edited:

Schneiderman

It seems his best position is always wherever we're not playing him. Part of the front three definitely isn't it though, takes away one of his best assets in the long balls.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'd try playing Pogba alongside VdB with a DM behind and Bruno in front. Almost let Bruno run as a False 9 where he has free reign to link play and get into the box as well as press from the front. This is the only other way in which I could see Pogba fitting into a side with our other best players.

Or... what would happen if we played Pogba in that role? Almost as a floating striker similar to Rooney where he could receive the ball deep and start moves. He's brilliant around the box creating chances, and it would be interesting to see how well he could be as a finisher because he's certainly skilled enough. It would be the ultimate "cater to Pogba" move, but giving him free reign further up the pitch with plenty of graft behind could make for a really interesting player. I'm thinking something similar to the "good" Dele Alli role or Yaya in those City teams where he did nothing but score and assist and walked around the rest of the time .

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His work rate will an issue no matter what position he plays. If we must start him it's finding the role to minimise that.

Right/Left in a 4-2-3-1 or alongside Bruno in a 4-2-2-2 maybe, but it still won't be ideal.

romufc

It makes a little difference where you play him. One of the things Ole want him to do as a DM, is to serve that long ball behind backlines. He cannot do that with one touch, so he always seeks to gain full control of the ball - often in very dangerous positions. The aggressive pressure most teams use against United (until they run out of steam) kills Pogba´s game.
I agree, we have seen teams press Pogba really high up the pitch which is a tactic they all use. He needs to adapt his game during those situations where he could play a little give and go and then on the next phase the opposition will not be so tight on him.

ROFLUTION

Can we just sell him instead??
This. The only right wing he should be sitting on is the wing on a plane to Juventus or Madrid.

Fred actually was amazing before Pogba came back and reclaimed his spot. Can we please just play Fred as he fits the whole team's style of football better?

(Fred = Fast playing, can play out of pressure, can drop deep to receive, runs a lot, finds space, chases down opposition to make us defensively more tight, while other creative forces do the attacking job)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Thing is, I don't think Pogba scores the goal that Bruno scored on Saturday. He wouldn't have made that run and been in that position. He's somebody I picture arriving in late and getting on the end of something, not being an instigator and getting himself in front of the ball.

For me its getting to the time that we just cut ties and get the best price for him. No hard feelings. Let him shine back in Serie A - its a win/win.

We saw a far more energetic, pacey, United-like performance on Saturday by going with two players who don't hold a candle to his talent, but they are simply a better choice for what this team needs. I suspect he'll have a good game tonight and people will be back rooting for him, but as people have said if we havent found a place for him in 4 years we probably just aren't a good marriage.

RayK47

Wow. A good old fashioned YouTube video to prove that Pogba was ‘class’!!

We’re hitting rock bottom, everyone.
:lol:
Don't want to bash him too much.
As an attacking player he is; depending on him to defend, be reliable and sensible in central positions of our own half or in the first third of the opponents half, he isn't.
Play him in the attacking positions, the right of a front 3 in the pockets of space, or play him off the bench, at the moment.
I think Ole knows best though, lets see tonight eh.

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

Don't want to bash him too much.
As an attacking player he is; depending on him to defend, be reliable and sensible in dangerous positions he isn't.
Play him in the attacking positions, the right of a front 3 in the pockets of space, or play him off the bench, at the moment.
I think Ole knows best though, lets see tonight eh.
Nothing would please me more than to see him come good and I’ll have it that we perhaps don’t have the base behind him to allow him to excel BUT he still doesn’t perform to high enough standard for me.

He loses the ball in tight spaces, unbelievably, a hell of a lot when he has ignored a very simple pass to retain possession.

He tries Hollywood passes that, again mainly when they’re uncalled for and missed a simple pass to retain possession.

Ultimately, from my POV, he is unfortunately a saleable asset and the money we get for him would allow strengthening of more important areas.

Time will tell, he’ll probably have a world class game tonight and I’ll have to eat my words

RayK47

Nothing would please me more than to see him come good and I’ll have it that we perhaps don’t have the base behind him to allow him to excel BUT he still doesn’t perform to high enough standard for me.

He loses the ball in tight spaces, unbelievably, a hell of a lot when he has ignored a very simple pass to retain possession.

He tries Hollywood passes that, again mainly when they’re uncalled for and missed a simple pass to retain possession.

Ultimately, from my POV, he is unfortunately a saleable asset and the money we get for him would allow strengthening of more important areas.

Time will tell, he’ll probably have a world class game tonight and I’ll have to eat my words

Ye I agree, he can be a liability in central midfield, especially in our own half or the first third of the opponents half.

As Scholes has said;
"When he's in that deep role, he's OK at it, he probably does the best things in every game of football he plays in, but he outweighs it with the bad things he does. By giving the ball away, taking too many touches, trying to do stupid things in the middle of the pitch, which is not his game". "He needs to be the one at the end of it".

So the only position for him to be further up the pitch would be the right of a 3 at the moment, getting into the pockets of space and attacking.
Where Darren Fletcher has said they intended him to be played, from his time working with the reserves.
"We played him a lot more higher up the pitch and in advanced areas and attacking areas, whether that be central, right or left or wide, and we felt he was the one who would go and win us games really".

I do think we should try to sell him based on his career at united so far.

But while he is here; I am saying we should consider him on the right or left more, as the number 10 position is Bruno's; although, as he gets in the pockets of space he can take up central attacking positions too.

Do you think that is a viable option for now?

K Stand Knut

Ye I agree, he can be a liability in central midfield, especially in our own half or the first third of the opponents half.

As Scholes has said;
"When he's in that deep role, he's OK at it, he probably does the best things in every game of football he plays in, but he outweighs it with the bad things he does. By giving the ball away, taking too many touches, trying to do stupid things in the middle of the pitch, which is not his game". "He needs to be the one at the end of it".

So the only position for him to be further up the pitch would be the right of a 3 at the moment, getting into the pockets of space and attacking.
Where Darren Fletcher has said they intended him to be played, from his time working with the reserves.
"We played him a lot more higher up the pitch and in advanced areas and attacking areas, whether that be central, right or left or wide, and we felt he was the one who would go and win us games really".

I do think we should try to sell him based on his career at united so far.

But while he is here; I am saying we should consider him on the right or left more, as the number 10 position is Bruno's; although, as he gets in the pockets of space he can take up central attacking positions too.

Do you think that is a viable option for now?
You know what. You’ve convinced me!!

We have no other true talent to play out on the right so why not.

Let’s be honest, what’s the worst that could happen?

hungrywing

Rashford------Martial------Pogba
---------------------Bruno------------------

He's an attacking player, the number 10 role is Bruno's.
We play that formation, can't rely on him to do the responsible defensive role needed in midfield.
Play him there, let him get on the ball in the pockets of spaces, how Mata does, further up the pitch and attack, he'll enjoy that. Some defensive duty needed on the right but much less than that midfield role.
I've been wondering this too. It's probably fair to say the coaching staff have considered it.

You'd think he'd beat his man consistently and easily.

RayK47

You know what. You’ve convinced me!!

We have no other true talent to play out on the right so why not.

Let’s be honest, what’s the worst that could happen?
I know what you mean, I agree.
Think Greenwood, Mata and now Pogba should be considered for the right.
VdB too, but in my opinion he is a more reliable option in the central midfield than Pogba.

Rashford and James for the left mostly.

RayK47

Is this a serious post?
If by serious you mean, something that's causing you significant worry, then i hope not.

But if you mean as a topic to consider the possibility of playing Pogba in an attacking position, the right.

Then yes.

Bwuk

If by serious you mean, something that's causing you significant worry, then i hope not.

But if you mean as a topic to consider the possibility of playing Pogba in an attacking position, the right.

Then yes.
Pogba is never a right winger. No manager is playing him there.

His biggest quality is his ability to hit a long pass from deep.