Pogba's contract offer

ExecutionerWasp001

I'm terrible at maths, but it looks like he's taken a hefty salary drop by signing for Juve? He would almost certainly have been offered a healthier wage from City, but I like to think he wasn't prepared to disrespect United by joining a PL rival. Reckon he'll do well in the slower paced Italian league too.
It's nothing to do with having respect for Utd. He's already left us once for free after we spent years developing him. He's now leaving again for free after a largely underwhelming 6 further years at the club.

City didn't want him. They were trying to trick us into giving him a new contract. ETH would then have had the impossible job, that our other managers have faced, in trying to find him a role in the team. If City had wanted him they'd have him as paying people £300K a week to warm the bench makes no difference to their financial operation.

I'm assuming Juve are giving him a big signing bonus which over the course of his contract will make his weekly wage much higher.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there an argument that he is joining a Juve in decline, much as was when he came back to Utd? That can turn quickly of course but he might be going into the same situation as OT where he is expected to be the key player to lift a mediocre side.

Assume he was hoping for Barca/Real/PSG/City.
It's a strange one, they have been in decline but the youngish players that they have are promising. They could turn everything around this summer. Before any sales, they have De Ligt, Locatelli, Vlahovic, Chiesa, Arthur, Zakaria or Kean.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's nothing to do with having respect for Utd. He's already left us once for free after we spent years developing him. He's now leaving again for free after a largely underwhelming 6 further years at the club.

City didn't want him. They were trying to trick us into giving him a new contract. ETH would then have had the impossible job, that our other managers have faced, in trying to find him a role in the team. If City had wanted him they'd have him as paying people £300K a week to warm the bench makes no difference to their financial operation.

I'm assuming Juve are giving him a big signing bonus which over the course of his contract will make his weekly wage much higher.
Another insider spouting opinion as fact. The guys leaving, time to move on & stop talking out your arse.

I’m assuming Juve are giving him a big signing on bonus

City didn’t want him

One thing you do have right is his underwhelming 6 years, the real shame is he isn’t the only one. Can people just stop manufacturing reasons to dislike a guy that’s no longer our problem please.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wonder how the Mbappe saga will affect future negotiations of players leaving on free because when so much money is involved, it usually has ripple effects. Pogba might try his luck for more money

skc_18

Fair play to Pogba if he rejected a better deal from Utd to go back to Juventus. But I wonder why he did not do that a year or two back, may be loyalty bonuses from Utd or death of his agent played a role ?
If the deal is true , this has to be the worst asset management from Utd and one of the gifts of Ole.
Once we bought Bruno , it should have been clear we can’t play Pogba and Bruno together and should have sold. Waiting for last year to sign contract is silly. United seems to be afraid of selling at lower price and would rather let him leave for free. Can’t figure the logic really.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
His weekly wage will be lower but the signing on fee will more than make up for it. Don't mistake desire to play with desire to make $$$.

DevilRed

Is he waiting to see if PSG can afford him?

Because I can't imagine even PSG being able to offer him big wages, if mbappe stays.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
We never got anywhere close to having any top class midfielders with him to play alongside. He's not worked out though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
10m sounds like a peanut after hearing how much Mbappe will be earning in PSG.

ExecutionerWasp001

Another insider spouting opinion as fact. The guys leaving, time to move on & stop talking out your arse.

I’m assuming Juve are giving him a big signing on bonus

City didn’t want him

One thing you do have right is his underwhelming 6 years, the real shame is he isn’t the only one. Can people just stop manufacturing reasons to dislike a guy that’s no longer our problem please.
I don't hate the guy. I do believe he's tried while he's been at Utd. The fact is he needs a highly fuctioning team around him & this is something we have not been since SAF retired.

He will obviously getting a signing on bonus at Juve. There's no way clubs like PSG, Barca & Real wouldn't have been in for him if they could have got him for less than £100K a week. These clubs have obviously decided that a signing bonus & weekly wage doesn't make financial sense to them.

There is now way Pep would have Pogba at City. He is struggling to give all his MF's enough playing time as it is. This will be further complicated next season as Haaland will want to play every game so that's another MF spot gone.

The likes of City & Liverpool were desperate for us to renew Pogba's contract as this would have signalled that the club wasn't changing the way it was run. We are now hopefully sending a message that under performers will not be rewarded & that we are trying to build a fuctioning team rather than a hotchpotch of supposed superstar individuals.

clarkydaz

Fair play to Pogba if he rejected a better deal from Utd to go back to Juventus. But I wonder why he did not do that a year or two back, may be loyalty bonuses from Utd or death of his agent played a role ?
If the deal is true , this has to be the worst asset management from Utd and one of the gifts of Ole.
Once we bought Bruno , it should have been clear we can’t play Pogba and Bruno together and should have sold. Waiting for last year to sign contract is silly. United seems to be afraid of selling at lower price and would rather let him leave for free. Can’t figure the logic really.
Club wouldnt sell him, unless for a silly fee nobody would pay

A smart club would have sold him before covid. Player wanted away, doesnt quite fit the team and a sideshow off the pitch. Only Woodward/glazers could mess this up so spectaculary

Roane

I don't hate the guy. I do believe he's tried while he's been at Utd. The fact is he needs a highly fuctioning team around him & this is something we have not been since SAF retired.

He will obviously getting a signing on bonus at Juve. There's no way clubs like PSG, Barca & Real wouldn't have been in for him if they could have got him for less than £100K a week. These clubs have obviously decided that a signing bonus & weekly wage doesn't make financial sense to them.

There is now way Pep would have Pogba at City. He is struggling to give all his MF's enough playing time as it is. This will be further complicated next season as Haaland will want to play every game so that's another MF spot gone.

The likes of City & Liverpool were desperate for us to renew Pogba's contract as this would have signalled that the club wasn't changing the way it was run. We are now hopefully sending a message that under performers will not be rewarded & that we are trying to build a fuctioning team rather than a hotchpotch of supposed superstar individuals.

Don't know about highly functioning, just functioning would have seen a different player.

I'm no Pogfan and I feel sorry for a lot of the players at the club over the last few years.

I'm not basing my views on stats, rather on what I've seen on the pitch. And it is my opinion so don't expect agreement.

We have young players like Rashford and even Greenwood (before his issues) who weren't really being developed as I could see.

Pogba came to us and had been involved in a successful side and won medals. Our team wasn't in a place where he could add to that. And successive management didn't really take us where we need to be or want to be.

It's a shame that so much ill will has set in towards our players, and I'm not admonishing them of blame here, just that we seem to have got our act together somewhat but the ill will has done damage to the point players won't be able to help us in our new phase.

DevilRed

Everybody wins if he leaves.

We finally can attempt to build a modern midfield that can actually run and press.

He can prance around in some farmers league and have people fawn over his youtube highlights, because nobody actually watches those games.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They bought him for 1 mil, got few good years of him, sold him for 100 and now again they get him for free (i know, i know that he is not completely "free" but...).

You can love or hate Pogba and be glad that he is off but Juve fecked us twice ffs

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They bought him for 1 mil, got few good years of him, sold him for 100 and now again they get him for free (i know, i know that he is not completely "free" but...).

You can love or hate Pogba and be glad that he is off but Juve fecked us twice ffs
It was Pogba that fecked us twice, Juventus took advantage of the situation. You can't blame them for that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think he probably has enough offers actually. The PSG thing would be understandable if they get Zidane, but apart from that, I see him back at Juventus where he showed he can be a star, in the right setup. His wages though, safe for PSG, will probably be lower then what we offered him. He is an incredible talent but also has major downsides. A team must build their mid to support his lack of tactical awareness and discipline or else he becomes a liability.

I don't think I can remember another CM that can be as polarizing in performances based on the team structure as Pogba. Maybe Zidane if he played today in a mid 3 would be similar but at least Zidane had that "hard" nature about him while Pogba is a bit of a softy when things don't go his way.

All in all, a luxury type player that would have probably been fantastic if we had a prime Matic and a prime nr. 8 working hard to create the platform for the flair player that he is. Just another example of how poor this team was build under the Woodward era.
I actually disagree. I think he's quite easy to fit into how most three man midfields are built, which is why it blows my mind that we never did it.

I would say the classic three man midfield consists of a deep-lying playmaker who does a decent amount of defensive work himself, a box-to-box midfielder who does a lot of defensive work, and a more attacking midfielder who does assist with some playmaking and defensive duties, but who's mostly focused on hurting the opposition. Pogba fits in that latter role perfectly and it's how he played for most of his time at Juventus. It's not some specific formation that his team have to come up with and 'build around' that player; it's probably the single most common style of playing with three midfielders that teams have used over the last 20 or so years.

In his entire six years he was here we've only used him in that role for two brief periods. In the first season when we had Carrick-Herrera-Pogba, and had probably our best run of form that season. And then just after Ole took over and we played Matic-Herrera-Pogba, which was the best Pogba ever played and probably the best the entire team has played since Fergie retired. Other than those two periods, we've spent the entire time either playing Pogba in the deeper roles or even when he played with two deeper midfielders they would have no creative and playmaking abilities whatsoever (players like Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin, etc) so he'd end up having to play deep to act as our controller anyway.

Things have started to change the last few years, both with football in general where even that most attacking of the three midfielders being required to do more defensive work, and Pogba in particular as he seems to be losing some of his physical ability. Because of that I'm not sure if he'll work out anymore (although the former might not be so prevalent wherever he ends up), but I think we completely messed it up during most of his time here.

Corridor of Uncertainty

He really thought the world and his wife would be queuing up at his door to offer him obscene wages and a signing on fee didn't he :lol:

Madrid couldn't give a toss, not even the mercenaries in Paris wanted him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I find it odd how all of you are so happy with us losing Pogba while we are left with Fred, Mctalentless and Donny in central midfield.

Teja

I actually disagree. I think he's quite easy to fit into how most three man midfields are built, which is why it blows my mind that we never did it.

I would say the classic three man midfield consists of a deep-lying playmaker who does a decent amount of defensive work himself, a box-to-box midfielder who does a lot of defensive work, and a more attacking midfielder who does assist with some playmaking and defensive duties, but who's mostly focused on hurting the opposition. Pogba fits in that latter role perfectly and it's how he played for most of his time at Juventus. It's not some specific formation that his team have to come up with and 'build around' that player; it's probably the single most common style of playing with three midfielders that teams have used over the last 20 or so years.

In his entire six years he was here we've only used him in that role for two brief periods. In the first season when we had Carrick-Herrera-Pogba, and had probably our best run of form that season. And then just after Ole took over and we played Matic-Herrera-Pogba, which was the best Pogba ever played and probably the best the entire team has played since Fergie retired. Other than those two periods, we've spent the entire time either playing Pogba in the deeper roles or even when he played with two deeper midfielders they would have no creative and playmaking abilities whatsoever (players like Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin, etc) so he'd end up having to play deep to act as our controller anyway.

Things have started to change the last few years, both with football in general where even that most attacking of the three midfielders being required to do more defensive work, and Pogba in particular as he seems to be losing some of his physical ability. Because of that I'm not sure if he'll work out anymore (although the former might not be so prevalent wherever he ends up), but I think we completely messed it up during most of his time here.
Agree 100%

Bruno's arrival and subsequent form killed his career off with us. His injuries and his general demeanor (flirting with other clubs etc.) didn't really help at all.

I think we made the right decision by not signing Bruno summer of 2019. The plan was to give Pogba a proper go in that role but he had a lengthy injury. We were forced to play Pereira in that role till Jan and everyone was complaining about Ole's sides not being able to break down teams that park the bus. Our hand was forced, we signed Bruno and the rest as they say is history.

Also agree that we expect modern midfielders to do a lot of running around. Even attacking mids like KdB, Bernardo etc. do a good chunk of work when they play at CM. I don't know if Pogba's injuries took a toll on him or if he genuinely can't be bothered to defend but to me he gives off Ronaldinho / Ozil vibes - just give them the ball, let them have fun on the pitch, don't expect them do a lot off the ball.

Chripper

My abiding memory of Pogba is a player who strolls around, acting like he's the best player in the playground, whilst trying non-stop to play little chip passes, that only come off 50% of the time.

Oh. And a player who has missed 90 matches in 6 years.

He's the Clark Kent of football: For Manchester United he's a spectacle wearing nerd who would end up in ER if he breaks a nail. Once he enters the phone box, he comes out wearing his France kit, and he can take on the world.

City absolutely didn't want him. He's as much of a Pep player as Haaland.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My only worry is that we re-sign him. If this happens, he'll take up a squad number, will rarely play and will take up wages we could be using on a useful player.
He has been one of our worst players over the last 6 years. For me, he is the poster child for our worst period in the modern era.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I find it odd how all of you are so happy with us losing Pogba while we are left with Fred, Mctalentless and Donny in central midfield.
We'll likely buy some more CMs this Summer and next. The problem with Pogba is that he is completely useless. And I mean totally useless. In 6 years, he's had about 5 good games. That's less than 1 good game per season. No player should be on our roster when they have only 1 good game per season.

90 + 5min

I rather play with 52 year old Ronny Johnsen instead of him. I rather play with 10 men to be honest. Him and couple of others are why we are where we are. Players that cared more about their own reputation. Team came in second hand.

I wish him all the best in Juventus. Or where he ends up. We will be better team without him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
My only worry is that we re-sign him. If this happens, he'll take up a squad number, will rarely play and will take up wages we could be using on a useful player.
He has been one of our worst players over the last 6 years. For me, he is the poster child for our worst period in the modern era.
We'll likely buy some more CMs this Summer and next. The problem with Pogba is that he is completely useless. And I mean totally useless. In 6 years, he's had about 5 good games. That's less than 1 good game per season. No player should be on our roster when they have only 1 good game per season.
Exaggerate much?

Pogba has been poor the last two seasons. Before that he was an inconsistent player in a group of inconsistent players, but was probably less inconsistent than most and was arguably our best player over the course of those first four seasons as a whole.

hobbers

We're not losing Pogba, we're gaining £290k a week in wages that otherwise were pissed away on someone spending more than half the season out injured.

el3mel

It doesn't matter when Pogba is giving less than 50% of his abilities whenever he plays for us.

Suv666

Jose was right about Pogba.
What an awful signing. Good fecking riddance.
This is why you don't get involved with footballers who care about more about their brand image and social media numbers than football

el3mel

I honestly can't even believe he spent 6 whole years here.

Aside from the first 1.5 seasons, the rest of his tenure has been mostly completely forgettable.

6 years and he didn't leave any mark at all. Kinda ridiculous.

lex talionis

I'll say it again but in different words.

If Pogba committed to knuckling down and put in a proper shift match after match, I'd keep him in a heartbeat even at $300k/week. Although he's a defensive liability, the man is a beast with the ball -- but only when he's up for it. He'd be one of the first names in my PL XI, but my god he's nowhere near being worthy of it because for whatever reason he just never gave a shit after the first season under Jose.

Better the rip the bandage and be done with Pogba, but what a shame such an extraordinary talent rarely ever showed up on matchday.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I honestly can't even believe he spent 6 whole years here.

Aside from the first 1.5 seasons, the rest of his tenure has been mostly completely forgettable.

6 years and he didn't leave any mark at all. Kinda ridiculous.
Scored in a European cup final.

Tallis

Juve are smart and have “bonuses” in there so that he turns up to play. Otherwise he would miss most of those 3 years.

All the best Juve.