Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

Canagel

It's been his way of taking penalties ever since the youth teams and it's worked well so there was no reason to change anything. Its his way of destabilizing the keeper as he says himself. He doesn't need to stand out from anyone. He's doing what worked for him the best.
But he needs change it now. The goalkeepers are wising up to it so he needs to change it.

MuFc_1992

Could someone explain to me why it's a bad thing compared to a normal run up? I've seen Jose and Pogba both saying he might change it up now that keepers have figured it out. But, even if the keeper knows how it goes, wouldn't that also be the case if he did a normal run up?
I guess it's because most pros should never miss a pen but they do because of psychological pressure and simply extending the time to take a pen increases that pressure.

Denis79

I prefer a normal run-up. By striking the ball more or less from a standing start Pogba is needlessly removing the option of hitting with power from his arsenal and relying solely on sending the keeper the wrong way. Unless you're supremely skilled at tricking the keeper and/or picking the very top corner out with every kick, neither of which Pogba has shown, I don't like the idea of hemming yourself in with a slow run-up.
Good point.

Shinjch

If he mixed up the run up with some slow and some fast it would be much more beneficial to him. I don't mind the run up, but it would put the keeper further on edge if he wasn't sure how quick Pogba was going to approach it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
a couple of times it didnt bother me but he surely wont do it again after missing a couple now

klsv

when you compare his stats to other crappy penalty takers, then yeah it doesn't look so bad. how about comparing him to Kane (13 from 15), or Aguero (12 from 14)? neither of which have some stupid stutter tactic.
Before the miss yesterday and the miss against against Burnley, he missed one for Juve in 2015. Before this season he wasn't our penalty taker, having only scored one penalty for before in Europa League. I'm not saying he's on level with Kane or Agüero but the uproar caused by his run-up is a bit odd. It's nothing new, he had to retake a penalty when he played for our reserves 10 years because the ref wasn't sure if it was legal and scored with the same slow run-up at the U20 world cup in 2013. Why are we still getting worked up over this?

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't mind the slow run up but he then needs to speed up and commit just before he hits it.

Today he was still in walking mode as he struck it, so he got very little power.
True enough on the speeding up, compare it to this (skip to 50 seconds in):

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
True enough on the speeding up, compare it to this (skip to 50 seconds in):

Yeah see that's absolutely fine, and i'm pretty sure that's the way he means to do it. For some reason though he just got stuck in slow motion, maybe Pickford put him off by not flinching? Idk.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's been his way of taking penalties ever since the youth teams and it's worked well so there was no reason to change anything. Its his way of destabilizing the keeper as he says himself. He doesn't need to stand out from anyone. He's doing what worked for him the best.
But he needs change it now. The goalkeepers are wising up to it so he needs to change it.
He got sent off because of it in a youth cup game and his conversion rate is crap for the first team so you’ve got a strange definition of “working well”.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He got sent off because of it in a youth cup game and his conversion rate is crap for the first team so you’ve got a strange definition of “working well”.
He got sent off because he stopped just before kicking the ball, he faked a shot.

Seems to me like its a habit hes picked up and he's scared of breaking it, a bit like players who tie their left boot first or touch the pitch as they run on to it. Rio Ferdinand was notorious for it and I'm sure others were too. I don't care If he somersaults down the pitch if he plays like he has been doing recently.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I prefer a normal run-up. By striking the ball more or less from a standing start Pogba is needlessly removing the option of hitting with power from his arsenal and relying solely on sending the keeper the wrong way. Unless you're supremely skilled at tricking the keeper and/or picking the very top corner out with every kick, neither of which Pogba has shown, I don't like the idea of hemming yourself in with a slow run-up.
If there was no power in the shot, Pickford wouldn't have parried it straight back into Pogba's path. You don't need a long run up to strike a ball hard from the penalty spot.

Varun

Staff
Don't give a shit about the run up but if you can neither put it in the corner nor send the keeper the wrong way, you shouldn't be on pens.

Aloysius's Back 3

The thing that worries me the most is because he is just asking himself to be shot.

If he continues doing this - it's only a matter of time before he does this at a CL semi final or a final & misses the penalty; having the whole world have a go at him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Who cares?
I do, especially when his shot is saved as it was yesterday. He was very lucky with the rebound.

If he is to continue to be our penalty taker he needs to remember who he is taking it for.
Not for him to do a stupid run up and look like a dick when he misses, but on behalf of his team who need every bit of good fortune.

Minimalist

Let's call a spade a spade and quit pretending because he's our player it's fine, he looks like a nob. Better ways to put off the goalkeeper than that surely.

ClutchHunter

Don't give a shit about the run up but if you can neither put it in the corner nor send the keeper the wrong way, you shouldn't be on pens.
This, although I suspect the run-up makes it harder to take a good penalty, hence the frustration.

Despite all his immense talent, Pogba is a very immature player. He showed it again later with that silly flick that gave the ball away and led to Everton's penalty.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
If he's missing penalties, then his run will always be in question. It's a stupid run up. That doesn't take away from how good a player he is.

witchtrials

I'm not one of those people who thinks that if only Pogba went to your dad's barber we would be top of the league, but the tiny steps penalties look for all the world like someone grasping for a signature move that makes them stand out.

Zlatattack

He should be dropped from penalties if he carries on like that. He loses momentum and can't strike a ball as hard as he could doing that run up.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Worst part is, with that slow run up, he doesn't get enough power in his shot, so he ends up hitting it about 3 feet off the ground, which is the best height for a keeper to save. Just make a normal run up and hit it low in the corner. If the keeper saves it, then hats off to him...

Stadjer

If he scores i dont care, if he doesnt score it looks stupid.

Well it looks stupid if he scores too but who cares if you look stupid but still scored?

klsv

Looks like a knob, should be taken off the penalties, shit at them, show's always about him, just wants a trademark move (albeit he's not the first nor the only one to do it). It's almost as if he wasn't our best player this season.

There is literally nothing more infuriating than Pogba's run up.
Yup, I myself was pretty annoyed with the rise of far-right until Pogba started with his shite run-ups.

FujiVice

Its the most pointless thing ever. And his ratio is hardly out of this world. What is the good reason for doing it?

dove

Wouldn't mind this ridiculous run up if he was actually good at pens.

El Zoido

I’m not a fan of his penalty technique. It’s clearly not helping him score either, given he’s had two of his five saved, so it’s probably time he had a rethink.

el3mel

It's not even that funny to have it as your trademark. Not effective as well. Sometimes I think modern footballers just want to look for anything stupid to do to make it their trademark move.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pogba shouldn't be a penalty taker, his record is around the 70% mark which is below average.

Martial is significantly better at penalties, not only in technique but also scoring percentage.

EireRed_GS

Bit silly really, he had a good game other than that. He's lucky he got to the rebound as he would have looked a right d*ck.

*is it just me or was he telling the crowd in the east stand to shushh when he scored, Because of the people shouting during that seemingly forever run up?

Last edited: