Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

James Peril

The thing that worries me the most is because he is just asking himself to be shot.

If he continues doing this - it's only a matter of time before he does this at a CL semi final or a final & misses the penalty; having the whole world have a go at him.
Exactly. If you do it properly and miss, for example the way Kane hits them, you’re good. No player scores every penalty, it’s a 7/10-thing anyway. Don’t add fuel on the fire, it’s idiotic. The Ronaldo-penalties back in the day were even more painful, when he stopped completely and you always wondered if the refs were going to take it back.

hungrywing

If you really think about it, he's paradoxically at the point where now it's actually not bad enough. Kind of like so-bad-they're-good movies. Right now it's just bad.

He should add something else, like a little shimmy or a tiny butt-wiggle.

Mick321

Don't mind a stuttered, slow run up or whatever but that was just taking the piss like he was messing around at the end of a training session or something. The boy is exceptional but he's also got one of the biggest ego's in the sport and is always seeking attention. Needs to cut it out.

LoneStar

As long as he's scoring them, be it direct or from a rebound, I don't care.

I'd rather he take them, no one in our team is a really good penalty taker. At least he scores most of them.

RedDevil-85

Its a stupid run up and his penaltys arent even good.
Some say it was a good save yesterday,i thought it was a poor pen in keeper height and not even close to the corner of the goal.
Got lucky the rebound fell straight to him.

Bocca9978

Finally downloaded FIFA19 and he does it in that too. Found myself shouting at the TV then as well.

He looks like a prick, it's a stupid run up and he should stop.

Walters_19_MuFc

Doesnt bother me. If thats what hes used to then who are we to tell him otherwise? As Young said, as long as he scores.

Thing is, if he doesnt score like yesterday, it does look stupid and I see why some people would be annoyed.

He did say in his post match interview that he may need to change.

ants7

Couldn't care less about the run up. He can do it backwards if he wants IF as long as he can actually hit it to the back of the net. Worst thing is - Sigurdsson has a basic simple run up and scored a great penaly. Pretty much sat down Pogba regarding taking a pen.

Macca7

It's emblematic of him as a player in truth. Instead of keeping it simple and effective, he'll over-complicate it for no good reason other than to stand out. It's the same as his attempted flick that cost us a goal. There is absolutely no benefit to the team even if it comes off. He's doing something more risky for no reason other than self indulgence.

You could understand it from an immature but talented 18 year old... But Pogba is 26 in March.

They would argue the fact that we're posting about it means it's done its job. My counter argument would be if he hadn't tried his stupid flick and run up we'd be talking about a really positive performance, rather than two stupid moments that could have cost us 2 points.
This is exactly why he will never be considered one of the best midfielders of his generation in my opinion. Which with his ability he absolutely should be. He just does not have the mentality and isn't a team player.

Djemba-Djemba

He's done the stupid run up for penalties 4 times this season and missed 2. That's not good enough.

The best penalty he's taken this season was against Brighton when he just ran up normally and smashed it in. It's the only time he's sent the keeper the wrong way too.

He has the technique to be a good penalty taker, doing this run up is making it harder for himself.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There is absolutely no benefit to doing it as every keeper knows by now what he's at. There's no disguise to it and you have the added disadvantage of looking like a dick if you miss.

It screams to me 'look how cool and unflustered I am in a high pressured situation'. Needs to cut it out, can't help your own concentration dicking about as much as that

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Could someone explain to me why it's a bad thing compared to a normal run up? I've seen Jose and Pogba both saying he might change it up now that keepers have figured it out. But, even if the keeper knows how it goes, wouldn't that also be the case if he did a normal run up?
Harder to generate power from a standing start. Sometimes means keepers can follow the strike rather than having to guess.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His best penalty this season was against brighton where he ran up normally and smashed it. I cant see that is current run up gives any advantage his stats certainly dont suggest so. Id keep him on pens but ask him to just take them.
Leicester one was a great penalty

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If there was no power in the shot, Pickford wouldn't have parried it straight back into Pogba's path. You don't need a long run up to strike a ball hard from the penalty spot.
Fair enough, it's wrong to say he can't generate any power with his run-up but it's safe to say Pogba makes it more difficult for himself going from a standing start. As has been pointed out his run-up yesterday was worse even than the one he did vs Young Boys:

True enough on the speeding up, compare it to this (skip to 50 seconds in):

I think there's a clear difference between both the placement and how true the shot is, the latter of which can be aided by Pogba giving himself some proper momentum.

I don't want to obsess over it Charlie Day-style, I still find it pretty funny and if the ball goes in (eventually) I don't mind how he approaches the ball but I'm concerned he's needlessly disadvantaging himself by not taking a proper run-up.

Loublaze

ATLien
His best penalty this season was against brighton where he ran up normally and smashed it. I cant see that is current run up gives any advantage his stats certainly dont suggest so. Id keep him on pens but ask him to just take them.
IIRC he started with the slow run up then suddenly speeded up. The run up has nothing to so with placement

Himannv

I don't have a big problem with the slow run up, but he should change it up and aim for the corners more.

I think the media were on a witch hunt regarding this yesterday. They badgered him and Jose about this after the game, trying to make a story out of it when there wasn't one.

Offsideagain

He is a boy in a man’s body right now. Why has nobody commented that Pickford was on the move before Pogba hit the ball by his own admission. Blast it and there’s little chance of a keeper saving it.

Frank Grimes

Goalkeepers look for every sign of where the kicker is placing it, this slow run up is a bad idea as it gives them too much of a chance. He needs to rethink it and I think he has said he will. Still our most important player though, played well for a lot of the game yesterday.

big rons sovereign

What happened to taking them like Ruud or Shearer? Just smash it into the corner. Sometimes you hit the post or bar bit they're rarely saved.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He should keep doing it and then after two or three more just fecking sprint up and smash it. Keeper won't be ready expecting the trot.

CA1

It's like the opposite of Denis Irwin who used to place it down, walk with his back to the keeper and then just turn around quickly and run and hit it.

Maccataq

Don't care about the run up. It's not the run up that made him miss. It's that he put it right where a keeper wants it.

He has the technique to put it in the top corner or the side netting. He chose not to.

Sigurdssons was how to take a penalty. Even if you go the right way, you're not getting near that.
Agree with this. The Leicester penalty, Schmeichel didn't really move but then he just put it high to his left and I think the Young Boys one was similar. The Brighton one, he actually sped up his run up to score which made me think he'd seen the keeper move and then acted upon it (or maybe he was worried that the ref would blow the final whistle!). In fairness, he has had 3 successful penalties out of 5 with one scored from the rebound so it's not too bad. I like the idea of the run up as it is designed to make the keeper move but he has to ping it high in the corners as a backup.

Having said that, I do think he needs to reconsider his technique especially because this penalty and the Young Boys one were counted at 26 steps so keepers will be cottoning on to what he is doing. It's nowhere near as good a technique as Hazard and what Cantona used to do - they seem to be able to make the keeper move with a shake of the hips and because they do it in their stride, it is very hard for the keeper to just stand it up.

tieunhilang

Fair enough, it's wrong to say he can't generate any power with his run-up but it's safe to say Pogba makes it more difficult for himself going from a standing start. As has been pointed out his run-up yesterday was worse even than the one he did vs Young Boys:
A bit shameful to admit I got a good laugh out of it. Imagine all our haters and the media ABU were so relieved to see Pickford made that save and ready to criticize Pogba, only to have Pogba scored anyway. They must have been fuming with rage. That to me is worth the money already.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
His run up is terrible and makes it easier for the goal keeper to see where he’s going in my opinion.

On a side note and totally irrelevant to this topic I think that Balotelli is the best penalty taker in the world ‍♂ This man has like 1 miss in his whole career and always so confident.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pogba has scored 8 and missed 3
Martial has scored 7 and missed 2
I love it when people spout drivel and others call them out on it well done mate :)
Erm...Martial has a 77.8% scoring percentage while Pogba has 72.7%. The average for players in the top 5 leagues is 76%. Pogba is below average at penalties and Martial has a significant edge on him.

Kapardin

I made my wife, who doesn't watch much football, sit with me and watch our game yesterday. She still can't stop laughing at that run up, though I think Zaza's was the absolute epic.