Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by esmufc07, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Oct 29, 2018

klsv Full Member

Pogba has scored 8 and missed 3
    Martial has scored 7 and missed 2
  2. Oct 29, 2018

James Peril New Member

Exactly. If you do it properly and miss, for example the way Kane hits them, you’re good. No player scores every penalty, it’s a 7/10-thing anyway. Don’t add fuel on the fire, it’s idiotic. The Ronaldo-penalties back in the day were even more painful, when he stopped completely and you always wondered if the refs were going to take it back.
  3. Oct 29, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    I love it when people spout drivel and others call them out on it well done mate :)
  4. Oct 29, 2018

hungrywing Full Member

If you really think about it, he's paradoxically at the point where now it's actually not bad enough. Kind of like so-bad-they're-good movies. Right now it's just bad.

He should add something else, like a little shimmy or a tiny butt-wiggle.
  5. Oct 29, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    I actually think it hinders his chances to score.
  6. Oct 29, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

What is Mata's record? Strikes me as someone who'd be good at them.
  7. Oct 29, 2018

Mick321 New Member

Don't mind a stuttered, slow run up or whatever but that was just taking the piss like he was messing around at the end of a training session or something. The boy is exceptional but he's also got one of the biggest ego's in the sport and is always seeking attention. Needs to cut it out.
  8. Oct 29, 2018

klsv Full Member

Scored 10, missed 4.
  9. Oct 29, 2018

SuperiorXI Full Member

Not arsed and hope he takes even longer next time as I enjoy the reactions
  10. Oct 29, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Hope he misses every time he does a run up like that tbh
  11. Oct 29, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

It’s the most stupid penalty run up I’ve seen.
  12. Oct 29, 2018

fergieisold Full Member

I think it is great. What's weird is people genuinely think it makes a difference what run up he does...If anything it tests a keepers concentration.
  13. Oct 29, 2018

Flying_Heckfish Full Member

Definitely. Attacking the ball with a tiny step can't help with the action of striking it. Plus, he never actually looks confident.
  14. Oct 29, 2018

LoneStar Full Member

As long as he's scoring them, be it direct or from a rebound, I don't care.

I'd rather he take them, no one in our team is a really good penalty taker. At least he scores most of them.
  15. Oct 29, 2018

You are still winning this thread :lol:

Next you'll be telling us that Jones's penalty record is the same as Pogba's!

Only joking
  16. Oct 29, 2018

RedDevil-85 New Member

Its a stupid run up and his penaltys arent even good.
    Some say it was a good save yesterday,i thought it was a poor pen in keeper height and not even close to the corner of the goal.
    Got lucky the rebound fell straight to him.
  17. Oct 29, 2018

Bocca9978 New Member

Finally downloaded FIFA19 and he does it in that too. Found myself shouting at the TV then as well.

He looks like a prick, it's a stupid run up and he should stop.
  18. Oct 29, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

Doesnt bother me. If thats what hes used to then who are we to tell him otherwise? As Young said, as long as he scores.

Thing is, if he doesnt score like yesterday, it does look stupid and I see why some people would be annoyed.

He did say in his post match interview that he may need to change.
  19. Oct 29, 2018

ants7 Full Member

Couldn't care less about the run up. He can do it backwards if he wants IF as long as he can actually hit it to the back of the net. Worst thing is - Sigurdsson has a basic simple run up and scored a great penaly. Pretty much sat down Pogba regarding taking a pen.
  20. Oct 29, 2018

Macca7 New Member

This is exactly why he will never be considered one of the best midfielders of his generation in my opinion. Which with his ability he absolutely should be. He just does not have the mentality and isn't a team player.
  21. Oct 29, 2018

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

He's done the stupid run up for penalties 4 times this season and missed 2. That's not good enough.

The best penalty he's taken this season was against Brighton when he just ran up normally and smashed it in. It's the only time he's sent the keeper the wrong way too.

He has the technique to be a good penalty taker, doing this run up is making it harder for himself.
  22. Oct 29, 2018

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
    There is absolutely no benefit to doing it as every keeper knows by now what he's at. There's no disguise to it and you have the added disadvantage of looking like a dick if you miss.

It screams to me 'look how cool and unflustered I am in a high pressured situation'. Needs to cut it out, can't help your own concentration dicking about as much as that
  23. Oct 29, 2018

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    Harder to generate power from a standing start. Sometimes means keepers can follow the strike rather than having to guess.
  24. Oct 29, 2018

Gasolin Full Member

This is the best comment. And kudos if Martial also signs.
  25. Oct 29, 2018

Jeppers7 Full Member

Leicester one was a great penalty
  26. Oct 29, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

Fair enough, it's wrong to say he can't generate any power with his run-up but it's safe to say Pogba makes it more difficult for himself going from a standing start. As has been pointed out his run-up yesterday was worse even than the one he did vs Young Boys:

I think there's a clear difference between both the placement and how true the shot is, the latter of which can be aided by Pogba giving himself some proper momentum.

I don't want to obsess over it Charlie Day-style, I still find it pretty funny and if the ball goes in (eventually) I don't mind how he approaches the ball but I'm concerned he's needlessly disadvantaging himself by not taking a proper run-up.
  27. Oct 29, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

IIRC he started with the slow run up then suddenly speeded up. The run up has nothing to so with placement
  28. Oct 29, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

This
  29. Oct 29, 2018

Himannv Full Member

I don't have a big problem with the slow run up, but he should change it up and aim for the corners more.

I think the media were on a witch hunt regarding this yesterday. They badgered him and Jose about this after the game, trying to make a story out of it when there wasn't one.
  30. Oct 29, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

He is a boy in a man’s body right now. Why has nobody commented that Pickford was on the move before Pogba hit the ball by his own admission. Blast it and there’s little chance of a keeper saving it.
  31. Oct 29, 2018

Frank Grimes Full Member

Goalkeepers look for every sign of where the kicker is placing it, this slow run up is a bad idea as it gives them too much of a chance. He needs to rethink it and I think he has said he will. Still our most important player though, played well for a lot of the game yesterday.
  32. Oct 29, 2018

big rons sovereign New Member

What happened to taking them like Ruud or Shearer? Just smash it into the corner. Sometimes you hit the post or bar bit they're rarely saved.
  33. Oct 29, 2018

Solius Bearded Scholes admirer Staff

He should keep doing it and then after two or three more just fecking sprint up and smash it. Keeper won't be ready expecting the trot.
  34. Oct 29, 2018

CA1 New Member

It's like the opposite of Denis Irwin who used to place it down, walk with his back to the keeper and then just turn around quickly and run and hit it.
  35. Oct 29, 2018

Maccataq Full Member

Agree with this. The Leicester penalty, Schmeichel didn't really move but then he just put it high to his left and I think the Young Boys one was similar. The Brighton one, he actually sped up his run up to score which made me think he'd seen the keeper move and then acted upon it (or maybe he was worried that the ref would blow the final whistle!). In fairness, he has had 3 successful penalties out of 5 with one scored from the rebound so it's not too bad. I like the idea of the run up as it is designed to make the keeper move but he has to ping it high in the corners as a backup.

Having said that, I do think he needs to reconsider his technique especially because this penalty and the Young Boys one were counted at 26 steps so keepers will be cottoning on to what he is doing. It's nowhere near as good a technique as Hazard and what Cantona used to do - they seem to be able to make the keeper move with a shake of the hips and because they do it in their stride, it is very hard for the keeper to just stand it up.
  36. Oct 29, 2018

tieunhilang New Member

A bit shameful to admit I got a good laugh out of it. Imagine all our haters and the media ABU were so relieved to see Pickford made that save and ready to criticize Pogba, only to have Pogba scored anyway. They must have been fuming with rage. That to me is worth the money already.
  37. Oct 29, 2018

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    His run up is terrible and makes it easier for the goal keeper to see where he’s going in my opinion.

On a side note and totally irrelevant to this topic I think that Balotelli is the best penalty taker in the world ‍♂️ This man has like 1 miss in his whole career and always so confident.
  38. Oct 29, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Erm...Martial has a 77.8% scoring percentage while Pogba has 72.7%. The average for players in the top 5 leagues is 76%. Pogba is below average at penalties and Martial has a significant edge on him.
  39. Oct 29, 2018

Kapardin New Member

I made my wife, who doesn't watch much football, sit with me and watch our game yesterday. She still can't stop laughing at that run up, though I think Zaza's was the absolute epic.
  40. Oct 29, 2018

Erm...what was Pogba's scoring percentage before he missed on Sunday?