Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
His run up is terrible and makes it easier for the goal keeper to see where he’s going in my opinion.

On a side note and totally irrelevant to this topic I think that Balotelli is the best penalty taker in the world ‍♂ This man has like 1 miss in his whole career and always so confident.
Balotelli's pks are brilliant. I occasionally look up compilations of them on YouTube.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My opinion is that he is paid to put the ball in the back of the net if he is taking penalty responsibilities. In which case, put the ball down, forget about how you look and smash or place the ball in the back of the net.

While I am having my two penneth worth, and obviously Pogba will be reading this :) , if you are going to do something 'your own way', at least make sure it is something cool. This, my fine friend, is NOT a cool way to take a penalty. For someone so obsessed with image it is surprising to see him doing something so rubbish to look at.

Stop messing about and hit the ball.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Erm...what was Pogba's scoring percentage before he missed on Sunday?
Now how about before and after he started doing this run-up. Pogba's scoring percentage has suffered this season with his new run-up. If he had his normal technique I wouldn't have a problem because he was good at them.

I've yet to see someone be good at penalties using the Zaza technique including Pogba. You either smash it in a spot (Vardy) or your wait for the keeper to make a move then shoot (Lewandowski).

Pogba has missed 2 penalties out of 5 using this method, its not working and someone else should get a chance or he should bin this run-up completely.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
If Pogba really wants a signature penalty, he should do one of those dances hmyou seein his IG in the run up.

RedDevil@84

I don't care if he dances his way to the penalty (if that is allowed), but if he cannot find the target, he should be removed off penalty duty.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Now how about before and after he started doing this run-up. Pogba's scoring percentage has suffered this season with his new run-up. If he had his normal technique I wouldn't have a problem because he was good at them.

I've yet to see someone be good at penalties using the Zaza technique including Pogba. You either smash it in a spot (Vardy) or your wait for the keeper to make a move then shoot (Lewandowski).

Pogba has missed 2 penalties out of 5 using this method, its not working and someone else should get a chance or he should bin this run-up completely.
That's not what you said in your original post, if you had said this ^, then no one would be calling you out on it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's not what you said in your original post, if you had said this ^, then no one would be calling you out on it.
I thought it would be self explanatory that I'm talking about how his run-up has affected his scoring percentage but that's my fault. You definitely need to spell things out on this forum since there is a lot of Wumming and crazy opinions. My apologies.

Andersons Dietician

In fairness the shuffle up is just a showpiece. He still takes 2 normal steps before he strikes it which a lot of players do. Personally wish he wouldn’t do it as it’s hella annoying but I guess the goalie feels the same way and that is what it’s probably about, building the pressure on the keeper.
Pickford said it himself that Pogba strikes the ball so well that he can generate so much power that he has to commit a little early.

The run-up yesterday certainly annoyed me, but the fact that some fans were actually booing him during this annoyed me far more.

He was having an excellent match before the penalty (and went on to be excellent for the whole game bar 2 unfortunate mistakes) and is having his best season at United by miles - how about we show a bit of appreciation for the upturn in form and for the most exciting player we've seen at the club in the post-Fergie era. You'd think there would be far more appreciation for his kind of talent given how ridiculously boring United have been for the last 5 years (and to tell you the truth, we weren't very good to watch in Fergie's final few seasons but we kept winning so this didn't get much attention).

I'm saying this while fully aware that Pogba's first two seasons were underwhelming, but even then you can't claim he wasn't often a lot of fun to watch. This season he's showing the same penchant for flair but with far more consistency alongside it, this should be cause for celebration but has gone totally under the radar due to bust ups with Mourinho, press statements etc (which Pogba has to take some blame for, but it doesn't mean his on-pitch contribution should be glazed over).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
lol, that one is great.

Personally I don't care about the run up as long as he scores it. Now that he's missed two recently he, along with the coaching staff, need to decide whether that run up is a factor in missing them (and to be fair, he himself said after the game that he'd have to think about it). Perhaps he overdid it a bit this time and that was the issue.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wish he'd knock it off and just do a proper run up. He will look like an absolute cretin if he misses.

Sterling Archer

I'm dying :lol:

I'd like to point out that Pogba is a Pisces. This should explain everything:
"The Pisces man is a daydreamer who can quickly escape the harsh realities of life by slipping into a world where he can be whatever he desires, wherever he wants. Some people think the Pisces man runs from his problems while many believe that he simply finds a creative way to handle them.

Uniquely perceptive, this man’s understanding of people makes him popular within his social circles. The easygoing and selfless Pisces man has friends from all walks of life, all personalities, religions, and ethnic origins.

This Pisces man can be emotional and compassionate, but never mistake these for signs of weakness. In fact, these are strengths, and if you stick around long enough, you’ll discover exactly how this is so."

AgentP

Hazard, Balotelli and Lewandowski have a small stutter in their run up to fool the keeper into diving early. Even if they don't dive, their run up has enough momentum to get a good shot to either corner. Pogba jogging in slowly doesn't fool the keeper in the least and also reduces his shot power and accuracy. Just dumb overall.

klsv

I'd like to point out that Pogba is a Pisces. This should explain everything:
This forum just peaked :lol:
Will start betting on matches after working through horoscopes of our and oppo players. Hope the mercury is in proper retrograde when we face Juve and City :drool:

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
This forum is a dreadful place sometimes, his penalties are fine, he has missed 3 with one scoring on the rebound. So what.

How can slow penalty makes his penalty less accurate? Ridiculous. He has hit the target every single time, nobody seemed to mind when Rooney did his huge jump to the left then belt it in, yet he missed the target on occasion, his penalties do not put him at a disadvantage, they put him at an advantage because keepers are used to normal run ups.
He may need to tweak his penalties and change when he decides to run at the ball, but that is it.

Please throw this thread away in the garbage.

RedDevil@84

It is similar to his bag of tricks right. If they come off, he looks good. If he loses possession and puts our defense in trouble, then he looks like an absolute idiot.

Sterling Archer

This forum just peaked :lol:
Will start betting on matches after working through horoscopes of our and oppo players. Hope the mercury is in proper retrograde when we face Juve and City :drool:
Haha there are worse things to bet on. I saw some random report that more millennials follow astrology than religion.

finneh

This is exactly why he will never be considered one of the best midfielders of his generation in my opinion. Which with his ability he absolutely should be. He just does not have the mentality and isn't a team player.
I still have some faith as he has shown some improvement over the last few years. It's also a position that players tend to peak late 20's or early 30's as intelligence and decision making are the key facets of the role.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Don't people have more important thing to worry about?

RedDevil@84

Don't people have more important thing to worry about?
Like the choice of words the manager used in his press conference and the contextual meaning that could be derived from it, the images posted on Instagram and the subtle inner meanings of it and such stuff

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wish he'd knock it off and just do a proper run up. He will look like an absolute cretin if he misses.
So he'll be the first person to miss a penalty then?? I'm surprised more people haven't used his hair as an excuse for missing a penalty. How many did Rooney miss when he was here? Penalties get missed all the time, perfect run-ups or not. You must move on and go again.

People really need to give this guy a break.

saivet

Pickford in his post match comments pretty much said he knew exactly what he was going to do and worked out the trick. Looks silly and I think keepers will start reading them more often.

Pogba acknowledged he may need to change it which is good.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's going to change it now, it's reached its end as keepers are clearly prepared for him now that he's the main PK kicker.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Can't decide what's worse: The run for the PK or the unprofessional approach that costed us a goal. That pass was arrogant and sloppy.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A bit shameful to admit I got a good laugh out of it. Imagine all our haters and the media ABU were so relieved to see Pickford made that save and ready to criticize Pogba, only to have Pogba scored anyway. They must have been fuming with rage. That to me is worth the money already.
Indeed, imagining Souness's cheer-groan makes it all worth it.

RedFish

Got to love the Caf's resident footballing professors telling Pogba how his technique is all wrong and what he should, in fact be doing. As if there is a universal right way in any case! You'd think reading some of the posts that penalties should always be hard, low and into the corner. He's no Cantona, who made taking penalties look like a walk in the park, but his record (4/6 at United and 9 in 12 overall in his senior professional career) is not too shabby.

el3mel

Got to love the Caf's resident footballing professors telling Pogba how his technique is all wrong and what he should, in fact be doing. As if there is a universal right way in any case! You'd think reading some of the posts that penalties should always be hard, low and into the corner. He's no Cantona, who made taking penalties look like a walk in the park, but his record (4/6 at United and 9 in 12 overall in his senior professional career) is not too shabby.
But it's not only us who's saying that though.

“When he did his run-up I knew where he was going to go and I saved it, but unfortunately it went back out,” Pickford told Everton’s club website.

“I did my research and made the save. Even if it even goes three yards out to his left or right, I’ve got enough time to get up and make the save from the rebound but it wasn't to be."

el3mel

Pickford didn't say Pogba had poor technique he just said he knew what way he was going.
That technique is making it easy for GKs to read it and have the team to react. That's what Pickford literally proved. I won't have a problem with the run up if it's effective, but it's actually not. Keepers are starting to read it now.

Champagne Football

With Pogba being obsessed with the brand and marketing, seems he probably does it to try to get the world talking about it to promote the brand. Just seems to be the least effective way you could ever take a peno unless you tried to take one running backwards with back facing the goal. Doing something that gets everyone talking to promote the brand worked a treat for Beckham with the fancy haircuts back in the day. For Conor McGregor with the arm wiggle strut and for Usain Bolt with his 'Lightening Bolt' celebration.

I'm delighted Pogba is taking penos as he is a confidence player and when he scores a peno he and everyone gets a lift but please God Paul sort it out sharpish.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's setting himself up for a fall.

If you're going to adopt such a ridiculous looking penalty-taking technique, you better make sure you find the net or face the concequences shortly after. All the commotion that followed would never have occured had he gone with a more traditional, tried and tested method.